PDA

View Full Version : There be monsters.........

carolyn
2004-Feb-29, 10:17 AM
I have to say that while reading all the posts on this section of the board I have been constantly reminded of something, it took me a while to figure out what, but then it hit me, #-o we are the 21st century version of a medieval map of the world, or those Victorian ideas of reality, all those areas we are not sure about, all those ‘bits’ around the edges which are endlessly discussed and best guessed. (Acknowledged that our best guesses are based on better science)

We endlessly toss around our theories of this or that picture, ‘is it a bush?, is it a plain? No it’s……..’ each of us sure in his own philosophy, sure that his is the truth which will be proven…one thing is for sure, as they say, time will tell (and we may be made to eat our own words).

I have a vision of future school children and undergrads smoozing this site, much as they do now and laughing at our ridiculous ideas. Saying things like …

‘How could they think that! Everybody knows… it’s soooo obvious.’

But by then of course they will have their own monsters, maybe on the next planetary system who knows, time will tell….

As for now, I think we should continue to theorize madly, way to go folks keep up the good work and know that you are making history as you write.

:D

a small post script,
Some of those monsters, known about in medieval times, - giant squid, sea monsters etc… which were disproved and scoffed at have subsequently been proven to exist, go figure. Perhaps were just not as smart as we think we are eh… (or is that just me!)

Ut
2004-Feb-29, 10:24 AM
Must...resist...urge...

It's true. Who knows what's out there? Even as close to home as our own planet! I just hope it all stays as far away from me as possible...

Unbunker
2004-Mar-01, 04:53 AM
Must...resist...urge...

Eh?

Ut
2004-Mar-01, 05:20 AM
Perhaps were just not as smart as we think we are eh… (or is that just me!)

Unbunker
2004-Mar-01, 07:58 AM
Perhaps were just not as smart as we think we are eh… (or is that just me!)

:o