PDA

View Full Version : The iPad is here

Dgennero
2010-Jan-27, 08:58 PM
For all the gadget freaks: The Apple iPad (http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/the-apple-ipad/) has arrived as announced, and somewhat cheaper than feared.
I think something like this has been referred to in SF for many years - it was called "desk", "tablet","'link" and the like...

Larry Jacks
2010-Jan-27, 09:15 PM
I've read that the 3G version won't be available for 3 months or so. I'm not in the market for an iPad but if I were, I'd wait for 3G.

mike alexander
2010-Jan-27, 09:20 PM
Be still, my heart...

PetersCreek
2010-Jan-27, 09:28 PM
I think something like this has been referred to in SF for many years - it was called "desk", "tablet","'link" and the like...

In the Star Trek universe, it was even called a "PADD" (Personal Access Display Device).

Glom
2010-Jan-27, 09:29 PM
It's basically a big iPhone.

weatherc
2010-Jan-27, 09:37 PM
More like a big iPod Touch, actually. Which is like an iPhone without the phone part (or the camera).

Either way, I don't see myself having any personal use for it, but that's mostly because I need to run things like Photoshop, which this won't be able to do.

SkepticJ
2010-Jan-28, 02:15 AM
I think I'll stick with a laptop; you know, something that can actually do useful work without having to have a bunch of crap grafted onto it. Something that doesn't get greasy fingerprints all over the screen that have to be wiped off. Something I can stick a DVD into and watch movies. Something I can play video games on. Something that has more data storage than 64Gb--my 1 1/2 year-old Zune has 120Gb, for bleep's sake! Something that...

sarongsong
2010-Jan-28, 02:34 AM
And again, the AT&T partnership---does this financially benefit Apple substantially somehow?...seems like they'd sell a lot more by having non-carrier specific arrangements :confused:

mike alexander
2010-Jan-28, 02:35 AM
This does appear to be Jobs' next attempt to remove storage from the point-of-use device to the net. What WAS that one he brought out years ago, with a similar premise?

In the longer run he's probably right. The Singularity is near. Unfortunately, it will probably be run by the equivalent of McDonalds.

I'm lovin' it.

Glom
2010-Jan-28, 07:26 AM
While I understand why more and more storage will be online rather than local, I still want to have some stuff closer to me. You think I could watch The Big Bang Theory in HD at work by streaming it? I can just about get away with Confused Matthew.

jokergirl
2010-Jan-28, 09:06 AM
Sigh.

All this talk of "apps" means it'll run the iPhone OS.

I was really, really hoping for something that could run Photoshop. I'd have bought that one no matter the price. A somewhat bigger iPhone... nah.

:(

Van Rijn
2010-Jan-28, 09:12 AM
I've avoided Apple since Jobs took over and pushed the "sealed box" philosophy (one of the reasons I loved the Apple II was that it was an open design, and a rather elegant one). I have to admit this looks nice, and it's somewhat tempting - for one thing, it looks like it might be a good ebook reader. But, I'm definitely going to wait and learn more.

On storage capacity: That sounds pretty reasonable, given the cost today for flash memory. But my question is: If you want to add more storage, is there an easy way to do it, or is it like the old Macs, where to do any upgrades you had to "Hack the Mac"? It's pretty much a given that in a year or two, people will be expecting 128GB or more.

The other issue for me will be software - apparently it doesn't support true multitasking, and I'll have to see what it has available for ebook reading. What I see looks nice, but I absolutely will not have any ebooks with heavy DRM on my computers.

I'm curious how well the net browser works, and how well it plays with Windows computers. I've read it doesn't handle flash, which is very important for some of the video sites (Hulu, for exampe)

And, it sounds like this would mostly be for playing videos, music, reading books, and playing games.

They claim a 10 hour battery run time (I wonder if that is with a dimmed screen and other low power options). That's pretty good for a tablet computer, and does give you time away from the plug, but still, this box is going to be tethered a good chuck of its work time.

jokergirl
2010-Jan-28, 10:09 AM
They claim a 10 hour battery run time (I wonder if that is with a dimmed screen and other low power options). That's pretty good for a tablet computer, and does give you time away from the plug, but still, this box is going to be tethered a good chuck of its work time.

Pretty believable, seeing as it's not possible to multitask on this thing. Or run Flash.

;)

Glom
2010-Jan-28, 12:43 PM
I heard that it doesn't use eReader technology so you don't get that benefit.

I too hate DRM. I had a bunch of stuff I'd paid for and downloaded, but I had a hard drive glitch which messed up the licensing system so they all stopped working.

It's like Dara O'Brien said regarding those anti-piracy ads at the beginning of the DVDs, "The best thing about buying pirate DVDs is that you don't have to watch an ad telling you not to buy pirate DVDs.

The industry needs to develop a system that doesn't punish people for doing things legitimately by creating a new range of technical problems for them.

sabianq
2010-Jan-28, 01:47 PM
the IPad?
really?

not ISlate?

is its big brother is the MaxiPad?..

jokergirl
2010-Jan-28, 02:50 PM
That joke grew a beard in about 5 seconds...

Metricyard
2010-Jan-28, 04:10 PM
I think I'll stick with a laptop; you know, something that can actually do useful work without having to have a bunch of crap grafted onto it. Something that doesn't get greasy fingerprints all over the screen that have to be wiped off.

Doing computer work for a living,I get to see quite a few laptops, and they all seem to manage to have greasy fingerprints on them. And I hate it. I just can't understand why people insist on touching there lcds. It drives me crazy. I'm going to invent a small force field device, so if anyones finger gets close to the screen, they'll get a 12,000v, 10A shock. That'll teach them to keep their sticky/gooey/icky fingers off the screen.

It is a pretty cool device, but I can not understand why it doesn't have a camera. It makes no sense not to have one. What's the point of a multimedia device without a camera? Maybe the next generation of iPad will.

At least the 3G will be unlocked, and ATT has gone no long term contract, just pay by the month, cancel anytime policy.

kleindoofy
2010-Jan-28, 09:25 PM
This is absolutely fantastic!

Another gadget I don't need and will be able to ignore completely. Yipee!

I only saw a short clip of the presentation, but even those few seconds of smugness on the part of the presenter were too much for me.

Van Rijn
2010-Jan-28, 09:48 PM
I avoid listening to Jobs. I look for reviews (and preferably, reviews by people who aren't absolute Apple fanatics).

cjl
2010-Jan-28, 10:06 PM
So, we have the worst of both worlds here.

As large as a netbook, and as slow and useless as an ipod touch. It's not x86 compatible, so Windows won't work (via Parallels or BootCamp), it doesn't even have a tweaked OSX, but instead it has an ipod OS that doesn't even support running two applications at the same time. The screen is nice (I can't recall ever seeing a notebook/tablet with an IPS LCD before), but it just seems to be a solution in search of a problem to me.

Why would you ever get that when you can get this for the same price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220568&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Netbooks-_-ASUS-_-34220568

Van Rijn
2010-Jan-28, 10:08 PM
I heard that it doesn't use eReader technology so you don't get that benefit.

I too hate DRM. I had a bunch of stuff I'd paid for and downloaded, but I had a hard drive glitch which messed up the licensing system so they all stopped working.

And, in the long run, any computer will be replaced (often before it fails), which is often a big issue for files with DRM. I want ebook files that I can reasonably expect to read, without hassles, on the hardware I choose, today, or a decade or so later. That pretty much means no DRM, and that the file format either has to be something I can expect will be widely supported, or can be easily converted to another format.

I keep books, and I expect to be able to keep ebooks. I won't accept schemes that only allow reading for a limited time.

Doodler
2010-Jan-28, 11:16 PM

It fits, though, especially for a gizmo that's only useful about eight days a month...

closetgeek
2010-Jan-29, 12:50 AM

Actually that unexpected response made me laugh so abruptly I spat a little bit :silenced:

Ronald Brak
2010-Jan-29, 01:39 AM
I read a piece that suggests that Apple is after a chunk of the textbook market. Apparently the iPad can handle colour photos, graphs, animation and audio and video and the Kindle can't. I suppose it's possible that all the cool kids on campus might want one. I hope Steve Jobs has strong kneecaps if he's taking on the textbook industry.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Jan-29, 01:48 AM
I read a piece that suggests that Apple is after a chunk of the textbook market. Apparently the iPad can handle colour photos, graphs, animation and audio and video and the Kindle can't. I suppose it's possible that all the cool kids on campus might want one. I hope Steve Jobs has strong kneecaps if he's taking on the textbook industry.
I can see how that would great in the middle of a lecture a prof can just beam the video directly to everyone but this would work with netbooks and laptops as well.

Jim
2010-Jan-29, 01:53 AM

Actually, it's older than that.

NPR did a report yesterday on the iPad. One female reporter said there must not have been any women in the room when they came up with that name.

Today NPR did a follow-up with Bruce McCoy and Tami Sagher, two writers who put together a sketch for MadTV about the Apple iPad... five years ago. McCoy said they should get residuals.

The interview, and a link to the sketch, is at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123081467.

sarongsong
2010-Jan-29, 04:55 AM
The competition:
January 6, 2010
...When the Lenovo IdeaPad U1 (http://www.physorg.com/news183912660.html) is in its traditional clamshell form, the system boasts an 11.6 inch HD LED screen and runs Windows 7. When the 1.6 pound, multitouch screen is removed, it becomes an independent slate tablet with a powerful ARM processor, running Lenovo’s customized Skylight operating system [supports Adobe Flash] ...laptop and tablet modes each support more than five hours of 3G Web browsing and 60 hours of 3G standby. In addition, the U1 comes with integrated video camera and two stereo speakers with integrated microphone with echo cancellation...will be available June 1, 2010 with an estimated retail price of $999...
lenovo.com (http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1301)

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Jan-29, 05:20 AM
There is also the Slate from HP which will have windows 7, web cam and multitasking which is a lot more than the iPad.
http://www.redmondpie.com/apple-ipad-vs-hp-slate-where-do-you-stand-in-this-mac-vs-pc-war-9140405/

Ronald Brak
2010-Jan-29, 06:24 AM
I can see how that would great in the middle of a lecture a prof can just beam the video directly to everyone but this would work with netbooks and laptops as well.

That's true. But listening to music through a $10 mpeg player also works, yet there seem to be a lot of iPods around, so I figure Apple might be able to sell lots of iPads if people decide it's cool enough. Personally, with my massive physical strength I am capable of carrying around a laptop with a fully loaded hard drive and I am already as cool as it is humanly possible to be, but I can understand lesser specimens being interested in it. In time I might buy a cheap Cambodian knockoff. Not sure what I'd use it for. Eat my dinner off it maybe so I can use the Play With Your Food app.

jokergirl
2010-Jan-29, 07:16 AM
It fits, though, especially for a gizmo that's only useful about eight days a month...

*giggles*

Van Rijn
2010-Jan-29, 08:02 AM
I saw this on Orac - below is a link to a YouTube video. It is a movie scene from Downfall that has been had fake dubs added for rants about several different things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downfall_(film)#Parodies), and now the iPad gets the treatment. It's meant to be humorous. I think they succeed, though, naturally, your millage may vary. (Warning - there is a curse word or two not allowed on this site).

Hitler responds to the iPad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4)

eric_marsh
2010-Jan-29, 04:11 PM
I've been primarily an Apple user for over a decade. But the iPad is a HUGE disappointment. I was hoping for a real tablet computer, something that would run OS X.

eric_marsh
2010-Jan-29, 04:13 PM
Why would you ever get that when you can get this for the same price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220568&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Netbooks-_-ASUS-_-34220568

I'm with you on that. The only problem is that it runs Windows. But even that is better than the iPhone OS.

Larry Jacks
2010-Jan-29, 04:22 PM
I'm interested to see what the iPad will do to the price of competing products like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Promotion-X70EX-Premium-7-Inch-Net-Tablet/dp/tech-data/B002MZZX6W/ref=de_a_smtd). The iPad is interesting but it doesn't run the software I want. The one I linked to does run the software I want (http://www.controlvision.com/ultramobile.aspx) but is priced considerably higher than the iPad. It seems likely that price will have to drop or they're going to have to come out with a more competitively priced product soon. Time for me to sit back and see what happens.

Lianachan
2010-Jan-29, 04:40 PM
I think it's "somewhat cheaper than feared" because it's also somewhat crapper than expected.

Fazor
2010-Jan-29, 04:52 PM

I was glad to hear (your post, and today some "news" / blog articles) that think that too. Thought it was just me.

And don't get me wrong. It's cool. But I don't think it's earth shattering. Just a giant iPhone or iPod, depending on which version you get.

I'd love to see someone come up with a belt-clip holster for it though. :lol:

Larry Jacks
2010-Jan-29, 05:01 PM
I'd love to see someone come up with a belt-clip holster for it though.

Ohhh, then you could look even nerdier than those guys who used to walk around with slide rules in hip hosters back in the day.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Jan-29, 06:04 PM
So it is an idud.

Fazor
2010-Jan-29, 06:15 PM
So it is an idud.
Depends on what article you read.
"iPad Getting Industry-Wide Praise!"
"iPad; Kindle Killer?"
"iPad; Glorified Cell Phone?"
"iPad More of the Same?"

(I made up those 'headlines' but based on the ones I've read)
It was depressing and annoying to me that out of the seven headlines listed on CNN's home page under the 'Tech News' heading, 7 of them were about the iPad. That's right; 7 of 7. About 4 were for the new device, and 3 were against it. :d'oh: Talk about obvious media hype and over dramatization of latest trends.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Jan-29, 08:17 PM
Depends on what article you read.
"iPad Getting Industry-Wide Praise!"
"iPad; Kindle Killer?"
"iPad; Glorified Cell Phone?"
"iPad More of the Same?"

(I made up those 'headlines' but based on the ones I've read)
It was depressing and annoying to me that out of the seven headlines listed on CNN's home page under the 'Tech News' heading, 7 of them were about the iPad. That's right; 7 of 7. About 4 were for the new device, and 3 were against it. :d'oh: Talk about obvious media hype and over dramatization of latest trends.
So 4 fanboys and 3 non fanboys.

Larry Jacks
2010-Jan-29, 08:22 PM
I did a little online searching and found out there are general aviation applications for the iPhone. They would likely function on the iPad as well. I'll have to do a lot more research but it's possible the iPad could do what I want:

1. Flight planning including downloading navigation charts and weather information.
2. In flight navigation including terrain avoidance
3. Display IFR approach plates with the plane's position indicated

If I can find the app or apps that'll do all of that, then the iPad might be worth considering. I'd still prefer to wait for the 3G version. You can't always find a WiFi hotzone when you need one. I hate AT&T's coverage, though.

The Backroad Astronomer
2010-Jan-29, 08:40 PM
That's true. But listening to music through a $10 mpeg player also works, yet there seem to be a lot of iPods around, so I figure Apple might be able to sell lots of iPads if people decide it's cool enough. Personally, with my massive physical strength I am capable of carrying around a laptop with a fully loaded hard drive and I am already as cool as it is humanly possible to be, but I can understand lesser specimens being interested in it. In time I might buy a cheap Cambodian knockoff. Not sure what I'd use it for. Eat my dinner off it maybe so I can use the Play With Your Food app.
For the iPod now you have docking stations that only work for the iPod or iPhone but not other mp3 players. This might happen with the iPad if it takes off, there might be gadgets or apps that just work for it and no other tablet and then more people will buy it just to use the gadgets or apps.

Jim
2010-Jan-29, 08:53 PM
... Apple might be able to sell lots of iPads if people decide it's cool enough. ...

Now you know Apple's business plan. It's not that the product is any or that much better, it just looks so cool to carry one.

kleindoofy
2010-Jan-29, 09:01 PM
... it just looks so cool to carry one.
One slight correction: the person carrying the gadget thinks he looks cool and sees himself that way.

What it looks like, i.e. to others, is a totally different matter.

Jim
2010-Jan-29, 09:04 PM
Ohhh, then you could look even nerdier than those guys who used to walk around with slide rules in hip hosters back in the day.

Hey!!

Larry Jacks
2010-Jan-29, 09:25 PM
For the record, I carried my slide rule in a book. Admittedly, the book itself identified me as a geek...

Fazor
2010-Jan-29, 09:35 PM
For the record, I carried my slide rule in a book. Admittedly, the book itself identified me as a geek...

Advanced Mathmatics, or 12 Easy Steps to Meet Women?

Jim
2010-Jan-30, 12:24 AM
... 12 Easy Steps to Meet Women?

There was a book?

Ronald Brak
2010-Jan-30, 12:36 AM
Just read a piece that compared the iPad to an automatic transmission car. In an automatic car the transmission is still there but it's abstracted away so people don't have to deal with it. A manual transmission is more efficient and revheads and other car enthusists prefer it, but in general people prefer automatics. Whether or not the iPad is successful, it probably represents how most people will interact with computers in the near future. Tech heads will prefer computers with which they can fiddle with and optimize, but most people will be happy with driving automatics, kind of like how a lot of gaming is now done on consoles rather than desktops.

cjl
2010-Jan-30, 01:02 AM
Just read a piece that compared the iPad to an automatic transmission car. In an automatic car the transmission is still there but it's abstracted away so people don't have to deal with it. A manual transmission is more efficient and revheads and other car enthusists prefer it, but in general people prefer automatics. Whether or not the iPad is successful, it probably represents how most people will interact with computers in the near future. Tech heads will prefer computers with which they can fiddle with and optimize, but most people will be happy with driving automatics, kind of like how a lot of gaming is now done on consoles rather than desktops.

The problem with that analogy?

Automatics can still at least have nearly all of the functionality of a manual (and I say that as someone who vastly prefers manuals). The ipad isn't an easier PC. It's an oversized smartphone, but without the phone. It doesn't have the functionality that people want in even a basic device.

kleindoofy
2010-Jan-30, 01:18 AM
... but in general people prefer automatics. ...
Maybe where you live. Certainly not where I live.

... Whether or not the iPad is successful, it probably represents how most people will interact with computers in the near future. Tech heads will prefer computers with which they can fiddle with and optimize ...
You're forgetting one very important issue: work.

Not everybody just wants to play, play, play.

Many people use a computer for working, not just "Tech heads."

Somehow I don't see this, err, gizmo being hooked up to office networks or running heavy duty, intensive software.

I don't just mean number crunching, I mean everything from graphics to diagnostics, CAD, building management, DTP, etc., etc.

This pad isn't the future of computing, it's a toy.

Van Rijn
2010-Jan-30, 01:53 AM
Even for play there are issues, such as the lack of support for Flash. Weirdly, some of their material implied it had Flash support, though. This is causing some questions about misleading advertising:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/188185/apples_ipad_and_the_flash_clash.html

Jim
2010-Jan-30, 02:56 AM
This pad isn't the future of computing, it's a toy.

So were the first PCs. We could use them for simple tasks, like word processing and simple calculations, but we had to connect to a mainframe to run rigorous calcs... that are done today on PCs.

kleindoofy
2010-Jan-30, 03:18 AM
So were the first PCs. We could use them for simple tasks, like word processing and simple calculations, but we had to connect to a mainframe to run rigorous calcs... that are done today on PCs.
As I said above: "I don't just mean number crunching."

In 1986 I was running a complete TeX setup on a 8088 XT 4,7 Mhz machine with a 10MB harddisk. I made entire books with that. It was slow, but it worked.

Before that I was running my own software on a DEC Rainbow 2000 with CP/M.

1989 I was running Auto-CAD on a 80286-AT with a 30MB disk.

For some reason I don't see any of that, or anything anywhere close to it being possible on this new home entertainment thingy.

Van Rijn
2010-Jan-30, 03:46 AM

The problem here is that there are already tablet computers within the same price range that can do serious tasks as well as run games.

I saw this at Newsweek (http://www.newsweek.com/ID/232792):

Apple has designed its own processor, called A4, to power the iPad. That's a big deal because until now Apple has used chips made by others, like Intel (for the iMac and MacBook Pro) and Samsung (for the iPhone). In addition to the processor, Apple also makes its own operating-system software for the iPad.

Moreover, the only way to get apps for an iPad will be to buy them from Apple. Same goes for content. To get movies, TV shows, books, music—or anything, really—you'll have to buy them from Apple's online store, and the iPad itself will be sold only in Apple stores. From top to bottom this is a closed device, completely controlled by Apple.

The custom hardware, custom OS, and their general approach doesn't suggest it's likely that it will become much more than a toy. If they can get people to go along with it, vertical marketing is a good way to make money, but it will be interesting to see if they can get many to go along with it. It's more expensive and bulkier than the iPod and it doesn't have the obvious use of the iPhone.

sarongsong
2010-Jan-30, 04:51 AM
More on the sole U.S. carrier arrangement:
January 29, 2010
...AT&T will offer a new deal for iPad owners, $30 a month for unlimited data service, with no contract...
nytimes.com (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/29/technology/companies/29phone.html)

cjl
2010-Jan-30, 11:07 AM
The problem here is that there are already tablet computers within the same price range that can do serious tasks as well as run games.

I saw this at Newsweek (http://www.newsweek.com/ID/232792):

The custom hardware, custom OS, and their general approach doesn't suggest it's likely that it will become much more than a toy. If they can get people to go along with it, vertical marketing is a good way to make money, but it will be interesting to see if they can get many to go along with it. It's more expensive and bulkier than the iPod and it doesn't have the obvious use of the iPhone.
The custom CPU (which is RISC based) also eliminates any chance whatsoever of future Windows application compatibility through almost any means without a major overhaul. Applications would have to be custom-programmed exclusively for this device.

HenrikOlsen
2010-Jan-30, 11:46 AM
At least the previous experience with Apple is that third party programmers have access to OS updates before they get released so they can get their applications ready, as opposed to Google's idea that it's OK to have third party programmers get access to the new OS when it gets released and not before, making OS updates into a mad scramble to fix breakages.

I suspect the available third party applications are going to play a major role in determining which of these devices becomes successful.

eric_marsh
2010-Jan-30, 02:06 PM
After reading about the iPad the thought came to me that having a tablet computer would be cool, I just don't want an iPad.

I picked up an HP TC-4200 (http://reviews.cnet.com/tablet-pcs/hp-compaq-tc4200/4505-3126_7-31273672.html) on ebay for $222 plus shipping. It's got a gig of ram, a 1024x768 pixel display, 40gb drive and a 1.86ghz processor. I think I've got another 1gb dimm and a bigger drive somewhere around here somewhere that I can install.

Doing a web search I discovered that Mac OS 10.5 has been successfully installed on the TC-4200 using Kalyway (http://www.gottabemobile.com/forum/hp/5448-leopard-works-tc4200-tc4400.html) Leopard 10.5.2. I've got a Leopard disk sitting on top of my desk and am pulling down Kalyway 10.5.2 via BitTorrent.

Now that's should be a real tablet computer, with twice the performance of the iPad at half the cost.

:)

http://shop.8838.com/BookPic/02/hp_tc4200_1.jpg

Glom
2010-Jan-30, 05:00 PM
I did a little online searching and found out there are general aviation applications for the iPhone. They would likely function on the iPad as well. I'll have to do a lot more research but it's possible the iPad could do what I want:

1. Flight planning including downloading navigation charts and weather information.
2. In flight navigation including terrain avoidance
3. Display IFR approach plates with the plane's position indicated

If I can find the app or apps that'll do all of that, then the iPad might be worth considering. I'd still prefer to wait for the 3G version. You can't always find a WiFi hotzone when you need one. I hate AT&T's coverage, though.

Interesting. I really want a flight computer app for my phone. I already wrote one, but it's in C# so I can only use it on my computer.

On a semi-related note, the "GPS" in the iPhone, is it actual GPS or is it simply RDF?

And is the iPhone normally supposed to feel this warm?

gzhpcu
2010-Jan-30, 05:25 PM
I like my iPhone. At times I wish the screen were bigger. What I ordered is this:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma%20_PK102_pocket_projector_review.htm

The PK102 is a pocket-sized projector that works with almost every portable media device, such as dedicated media players, cell phones, portable gaming devices and digital cameras. With the PK102, you are no longer limited by a small format, fixed screen size - this pico class projector can display images in dimensions of feet instead of inches.

Glom
2010-Jan-30, 05:36 PM
I like my iPhone. At times I wish the screen were bigger.

Good to know. I just got one, which involved selling my soul for two years for a regular monthly bill. You know that feeling at the beginning where, when you've made an expenditure and you worry about whether it was worth it?

Ronald Brak
2010-Jan-31, 02:38 AM
I don't think the iPad is what most people will be using in the future in much the same way that the original Machintosh didn't become what most people use today. However the original Macintosh had a Graphical User Interface or GUI that Apple copied from Xerox and which Microsoft copied from Apple and which became the way most people interacted with computers. The iPad's interface and reliance on a good internet connection and cloud computing for serious number crunching may be how most people will mostly interact with computers in the near future. They won't, however, do this on Apple products for the most part. They will do it on cheap hardware assembled in Nigeria with apps written in Cambodian sweat cubicals. At this point, Apple, or whatever company is Apple in the future, will have developed iBrain, or whatever, and will be attempting to make money from people who have to have the latest and coolest thing. Or I could be completely wrong, but very few people know how to type in China.