Thread: Astrology Professor

Astrology Professor

I'm not quite sure where on this forum to post this, so if it needs to be somewhere else, please move it...

On the front page of http://www.seattletimes.com on March 3, the caption under the headline "Mars Discovery Captures World of Excitement at UW", states "UW Astrology Prof...". Now I am a proud graduate of the University of Washington and I took a few astronomy courses there, but I don't remember Astrology being offered...

I don't know how long they'll keep it up there before it gets fixed or removed, but I took a screen capture of it in case someone knows how to post it here, or someone else who finds it can do it for me...

Welcome Barnaby. Your first post on the BABB is right on the money. Let's hope someone straightens that paper out. Most likely it will be the professor who has been libelled as an "astrologer."

Sent an email to the author of the article, Sandi Doughton. Her article seems to have it right--I bet she'd want it changed.

Welcome to the BABB, Barnaby.
    And as I'm German and we find always something to nag:
    Don't mind, but
    Bad TV! Bad Movies! No doughnut!
    See something in the media that just screams "Bad Astronomy"? Post about it. Maybe it'll find its way onto the main site.
    would've been the correct place for your posting.... ;-)

Harald

Just got an email from Ms. Doughton, she said "Yikes! How horrible." and would have them correct it right away. It seems it's been done.

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    What disgust!

I'd hate to be that professor, right now.

I'd hate to be in his way!

Maybe the Professor is a Capricorn.

March can be a tough month for us.

Quote Originally Posted by milli360
    Just got an email from Ms. Doughton, she said "Yikes! How horrible." and would have them correct it right away. It seems it's been done.
    And another skirmish in the battle between the Forces of Light and the agents of darkness is won by the good guys!!! A gold star for milli360.
    (And BarnabyMoose.)

My astronomy professor is using astrololgy. He says he doesn't believe in it, and that he has to use astrology if he's going to teach the history of astronomy, since so many astronomists were astrologists.

My current asignment is creating an astrological chart on the day of Reagan's inaguration.

I just don't like how people confuse the two, it's rather bothersome. At least the author of the article is trying to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by constible
    ...he has to use astrology if he's going to teach the history of astronomy, since so many astronomists were astrologists.
    OK, I can understand that...but I can't understand this...

My current asignment is creating an astrological chart on the day of Reagan's inaguration.
    That sounds like a big waste of time. I believe you can study the history of Astronomy without resorting to "drawing up" astrological charts.
    The facts, gentlemen, and nothing but the facts, for careful eyes are narrowly watching. Isaac Asimov

My astronomy professor is using astrololgy. He says he doesn't believe in it, and that he has to use astrology if he's going to teach the history of astronomy, since so many astronomists were astrologists.

So are you doing it according to where the stars are now, like any "logical consistency" of the art would dictate? Or according to where the stars were 2,000 years ago, like the horoscopes in the daily paper give?

What does this entail? Using one of the starchart programs to determine the position of the various planets at that time? It seems awfully stupid to devote more than 15 minutes to such bunk (kind of like Psych 101, now that I think of it, where we spent the first three quarters of the semester studying and being tested on things nobody believes in anymore).

He gave us the locations of the planets. There isn't any research on my part. All I have to do is determine which planets are in conunction, opposition, etc to which planets.

For the record, the sun and the moon were in conjunction on that day. Precisely, 4 degrees and 52 minutes.

It is suppose to be an easy class that I'm taking for my elective.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Guys, don't give this method too much flak--it could be a great example of how astrology doesn't work. I did hear about some professor doing this the other day. It sounds like a good idea to me, especially if it works.

Constible, I'm sure it's supposed to be an easy class, at least as far as your concerned. It's a class, just like any other--you get out of it what you put into it. If you don't work for your A, you won't get it. I know you haven't done this (yet?), but nothing upsets me more than to hear a student tell me of the prof that Astro 100 was supposed to be an easy class, and ask why he has only has a C. If they ask, that's often all they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Dax
    Guys, don't give this method too much flak--it could be a great example of how astrology doesn't work. I did hear about some professor doing this the other day. It sounds like a good idea to me, especially if it works.

Constible, I'm sure it's supposed to be an easy class, at least as far as your concerned. It's a class, just like any other--you get out of it what you put into it. If you don't work for your A, you won't get it. I know you haven't done this (yet?), but nothing upsets me more than to hear a student tell me of the prof that Astro 100 was supposed to be an easy class, and ask why he has only has a C. If they ask, that's often all they deserve.
    Um...I'm in my final year of a dual degree program in mathematics and mechanical engineering. I do believe I've worked very hard to get to the position that I am in right now. By easy, I meant that my astronomy class is easy compared to Heat Transfer, Manufacturing Processes, Senior Design, Mechanics, Fluid Dynamics, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Normandy6644
    I just don't like how people confuse the two, it's rather bothersome. At least the author of the article is trying to correct it.
    Back when I was still in college, a classmate told me an apocryphal story about an Intro-to-Astronomy class he'd previously been in. He said that about half way through the semester, one of the female students raised her hand and asked, "Professor, when are we going to learn how to cast people's horoscopes?"

(At least, I hope the story was apocryphal. <shudder> )