Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1238

Thread: A general gardening thread

Toad spent the afternoon starting some seeds.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We have just picked - up - our first navel oranges for the year. They were 'dropped' ones under the tree but tasted lovely. Most of the the ones on the tree are not fully ripe. Our Valencia oranges will not ripen for another couple of months.

Right now I have some lettuce stated outdoors, some romaine and some arugula which the brits pronounce rocket.

Well everything is in the ground now other than some late corn, cukes, and tomatoes to extend those harvests into early autumn. The spinach is bolting so all of that has been picked and frozen, the broccoli too other than some ongoing side shoots. Cabbages are heading up, carrots & beets are plumping up, and the pea pods too. Lettuces are going good as are the rutabagas (a new addition).

All 14 early tomato plants are in ground and blooming, + 3 peppers and 2 eggplants. The rows of snaps (bush beans) and squash are popping up. Sweet potatoes are starting to vine out. Yesterday I transplanted the watermelons and cantaloupes now that the night time lower 40's seem to be behind us here. Now we just need a really good 1" of rain, but the past few weeks have only given us a few sprinkles.

The pears, apples, plums and peaches are moderately heavy with small fruits, will thin those soon. The figs are starting to form and the persimmon and pomegranate trees are blooming (though persimmons lack a real bloom). The greenish blueberries are plump, heavy, and starting to turn blue. Now I'm a bit blue too from all the work, now it's onward with the weeding, watering, picking, etc, it's going to be a heavy hammock use summer ahead.

We've had a cold, dry april and moderately warm, wet may until now. The garden is an explosion of lush green. What a difference with the very dry, very hot springs of past years.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

A few weeks ago I discovered a Russet Burbank (potato) I had intended to cook was growing, so I stuck it in some dirt down below. IT'S ALIVE!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I planted a load of ivy on the berm around the half-raised kids pool. Let's hope it will catch on. The berm is too steep to be able to mow grass.

I installed a raised bed garden structure this week (with a deer fence - we have a lot of them critters in these parts). I'm no gardener, so we'll see how that works out. Even though I have a full woodshop, I chose to buy a kit rather than make it myself. Much easier. I ran a soaker hose such that there's two lengths down each section of the bed, then covered it with a weed blocker material. I'll have to monitor the water closely at first because I have no idea how much time and how often to water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E6466 smaller.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	717.2 KB 
ID:	26168

I just put in a raised bed, too. I made it out of "found" materials in my garage. I need to install a deer preventer because having a dog just doesn't work. The dog likes the deer and would happily feed them anything they want.

Name:	garden 002.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	26170
    Solfe

I may have to rent a tiller this year, I found online someone online offering but I don't how much. I might be able afford that not afford more seeds and fertilizer for a few days. tomorrow it suppose to get to be about 30 C.

Warm! Too warm, in fact for me. We're getting drizzle, which I hope is sufficient to keep stuff watered.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Warm! Too warm, in fact for me. We're getting drizzle, which I hope is sufficient to keep stuff watered.
    30c is 86f. That’s too warm?? That’s a mildly warm day. It’s getting to 88F here today, it’s to get to 104F on Monday. That’s when I’ll finally have to turn on the air conditioner (haven’t yet this year). Of course here it usually cools down a lot at night, just a few weeks ago there was a cool spell after warmer weather and I had to run the heater a bit a couple nights.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

We broke a record at 95F yesterday by 1 degree. Hot again today and still no rain (0.6" for May so far, on top of a dry late April). My gardens would be dust if it weren't for the deep well. Starting to water the fruit trees now. The nearby farms are hurting badly.

The lilacs are blooming and we have a few roses. The strawberries are starting to come in. We have 4 plants which already have runners out.

Name:	Strawberries.jpg 
Size:	459.9 KB 
ID:	26210

I've never done this before, so this might be the whole yield.
    Solfe

Meanwhile, after 3 very dry years, we haven't had a dry day in may yet. The garden exploded.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    30c is 86f. That’s too warm?? That’s a mildly warm day. It’s getting to 88F here today, it’s to get to 104F on Monday. That’s when I’ll finally have to turn on the air conditioner (haven’t yet this year). Of course here it usually cools down a lot at night, just a few weeks ago there was a cool spell after warmer weather and I had to run the heater a bit a couple nights.
    20C is as warm as it needs to get for me. 80F has me suffering. My wife is the same, only more so.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    30c is 86f. Thatís too warm?? Thatís a mildly warm day. Itís getting to 88F here today, itís to get to 104F on Monday. Thatís when Iíll finally have to turn on the air conditioner (havenít yet this year). Of course here it usually cools down a lot at night, just a few weeks ago there was a cool spell after warmer weather and I had to run the heater a bit a couple nights.
    20C is as warm as it needs to get for me. 80F has me suffering. My wife is the same, only more so.
    I'm with Treb. I'm originally from the Deep South (US), so I've seen my share of hot, humid days. But I've been in Alaska for more than 21 years now, so I'm well acclimated. I think I start breaking a sedentary sweat at 75įF (24įC).
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I'm with Treb. I'm originally from the Deep South (US), so I've seen my share of hot, humid days. But I've been in Alaska for more than 21 years now, so I'm well acclimated. I think I start breaking a sedentary sweat at 75įF (24įC).
    There is rarely much humidity here, so that makes a difference. I usually set the air conditioner to 76F, though they recommend 78, and in fact, sometimes if Iím not doing much I get cold at 76 and turn the temperature up. For that matter, this year the house has gotten up to about 79, and I havenít turned the air on yet, just ran a fan.

Outside, 86F is just a bit warm in the shade, but is comfortable weather. And it usually cools down at night, so until it get really hot, yard work in the morning and early evening are really quite nice on days like that. It even can be a little chilly in the morning.

I much prefer mild days where it gets into the mid 80s to cooler days where I have to run the heat at night or hot days over 100.

Iím certainly not especially heat adapted either, Iím usually the one that likes a bit cooler weather or more air conditioning.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The garden is doing so-so, about 30 or potato plants are coming up should till in between the rows and rack up some soil, this gets more potatoes and protects against sun burned potatoes. Got some replacement plants last week lost a few tomato plants so I got eight more. The squash, cucumbers haven't done so well. But even the second planting of green and yellow beans have sprouted thankfully for the rain yesterday. Have to get some potting soil got too many herbs and flowers last week. Also this coming week sometime the brother-in-law wants to go out to the other wood lot and cut some wood, we will leave in tree lengths while letting them dry out so they just get up and walk away/

I've got some tomatoes coming in, plus 3 peppers. I am slightly bemused that I also happen to have 3 pepper plants. So one per plant.
    Solfe

Harvested lettuce yesterday and had a nice salad. Which brings me to a question: What's the best way to harvest the lettuce. Take off the older, outer leaves, or work some from the middle as well?

It's been raining for weeks. I haven't been able to weed the garden but I did pull in some veggies today.

Name:	garden.jpeg 
Views:	16 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	26314
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-Jul-17 at 07:56 PM.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    The lilacs are blooming and we have a few roses. The strawberries are starting to come in. We have 4 plants which already have runners out.

Name:	Strawberries.jpg 
Size:	459.9 KB 
ID:	26210

I've never done this before, so this might be the whole yield.
    For the record, this was not the whole yield. Each plant did pretty well, but something ate half of every berry on one day then the other half the next day.

We are going to be eating zucchini and squash for a while.

Name:	Garden.jpg 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	26318

The largest is about 13 inches long. I have four more of each growing now. Maybe another week or two until they are done. The tomatoes are exploding. I have 24 or more.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    For the record, this was not the whole yield. Each plant did pretty well, but something ate half of every berry on one day then the other half the next day.
    Slugs or snails?

Slugs or snails?
    I think birds or rabbits. I haven't seen any snails or slugs.
    Solfe

May major problem in the garden is the raspberry plants are taken over the peonies have to find a way to get them to stop growing in that direction, and thy probably will be pruned back at some point.

Just went out to pick some berries and did a quick walk thru the garden not a sign of potato beetles.

A video update of the garden.

I went back to the house to get the mail and found these in the garden:

Name:	squash.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	26350

Name:	squash.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	26350
    Larger than the last ones.
    Solfe

My wife discovered the berries are back. And this time, they were not eaten by bunnies or birds. My wife ate them all.

Name:	berries.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	990.3 KB 
ID:	26351
    Solfe