Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839
Results 1,141 to 1,164 of 1164

Thread: A general gardening thread

Torsten. I have deer problems too but seemed to have deterred them over the years them with nylon fishing line strung around the garden up to 8 foot high. I use 3/8 inch, 10 ft long iron rebar (2 ft in the ground with 8 ft remaining tall). Just string up the nylon line at 2 ft intervals from the ground up. The deer seem to know it's there at night (when they come around here) but don't know how high it goes, no jumping from them.

The garden is now 90% planted, just need to plant the remaining tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and melons. Picking spinach like crazy now, freezing a lot. Lettuces and radishes are pickable too now. The corn and beans are popping up and the peas are starting to bloom. 2 inches of rain yesterday was a lot but everything soaked it up ok. Warmer temps for a few days now before a cool spell, a typical May so far, but it's just day 1.

Things are on a roll now as all of the Spring crops are producing (lettuces, radishes, broccoli) with the cabbages, beets, carrots close behind. All of the Summer crops are planted now....maybe a bit too soon with the threat of frost over the next 2 nights. For certain I will have to replant some snaps and corn seed since recent cold temps caused much of the seed to rot in the ground (it was warm, ugh). I'm all prepped to cover the young tomatoes, sweet potatoes, and melons before sundown.

The cukes, corn, snaps, and squash will have to take it on the chin, easy enough to replant those but my tomatoes - I cannot lose them (20)! The 2 tomato plants which I bought in late March now have several marble sized tomatoes on them, each plant will have it's own blanket tee-pee for the next 2 nights. If these plants survive we should be slicing maters by late June. Thankfully I still have my peppers and eggplants indoors so these will be the last to plant in-ground besides some more late corn and tomatoes.

The fruit trees are doing well. Fruit sets include pears, plums, peaches & apples. The cherries did not set fruit for some reason, they should have. The persimmon and pomegranate are blooming so hopefully they will be ok. A warming spell is expected after these next 2 30's nights ahead. The blueberries are loaded down and should be "blue" within 2 weeks. Brrrr for a few days, then Whew warm! after that.

ps, I forgot the peas, they are in full bloom now, pea picking in 1-2 weeks-!

Having a difficult time getting the plants going, to cool in the cold frame and not enough sun indoors, and the pop up green house will probably fly off in the wind if set it up. But next week probably get the lawn mower out.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Well with the emprovement in the weather it is probably time to get hold of the neighbor to till up the garden and start planting stuff in planters. Plus I have to get domw flower plants for mom for mothers day and a few more seeds.

this afternoon I found the patch of Rhubarb that I thought wasn't coming up, it is I was kind of looking at the x=+5 and not the x=+2 spot.

Extreme drought, third year in a row. This is the country that traveler's guides describe as "be sure to bring a raincoat, as it will rain on more than half of the days in may". Yeah, right. 2 days of rain in 70 days now. And no rain in the foreseeable future. Lawn dead. Again.

I'm making a list of plants that do survive here and I'll redesign the garden accordingly.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Finally think I figured out a fix for the tiller but probably have to wait intil monday to pick a couple things to do it. Now the self sealing stem bolts go here and the flux capicitor goes here. ;-).

I really don't what to do with the tiller. It is 17 years old and has done a lot of good work, the engine is fine. The problem is in the transmission they are simple things with a couple of prongs that engage the gears but after time they were out. You can open the transmission and force it into the till postion but I can't find the right wrenches at the moment. I probably have to call the neighbor and see if he bring over his tractor again but that will be least tomorrow or eraly next week, suppose to rain and cool down over the weekend.

We have a mountain ash that I grew from a seed. Its main branch used to grow nicely straight up upto about 4m. Then it got a lot of leaves in spring and now it is bent over until it almost touches the ground again. Will it straighten itself out as it grows thicker, or do I have to support it at 3m? It's now (and always has been) supported at about 1.5m height.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    We have a mountain ash that I grew from a seed. Its main branch used to grow nicely straight up upto about 4m. Then it got a lot of leaves in spring and now it is bent over until it almost touches the ground again.
    Hi Nicolas, when you say "main branch" are your referring it the tree's trunk? I've done my share of tree trimming over the years, mainly fruit trees, but when the trunk is too thin or spindly to support it's own weight I'll trim the top portion back a bit so that it can grow thicker while growing out a top lateral branch which eventually becomes it's "new" trunk. Not sure if that would work for an Ash though since I'm not familiar with those.

These Ash are growing more like bushes rather than trees, but if it were a tree you'd call that the trunk indeed. I've Always heard that when you cut back those, it will stop growing. But a well-aimed sidebranch could be an alternative.

^^^ Yes that's right. For a fruit tree to strengthen the trunk I'd prune the weak trunk about a half an inch above a good bud sprout, then that bud will become a branch which eventually becomes the new trunk. This allows time for the original remaining portion of trunk to thicken and able to hold more weight rather than bend over as too thin of a trunk.
    My pomegranate tree can either grow as a bush or a tree depending upon how you let it grow. To make it more like a tree the side stems growing out of it's base are mostly removed allowing one main strong stem to become it's trunk.

Having not gardened for some years I now have three tomato plants, a zucchini plant and about eight lettuce starts. But I'm wondering about the zuch. Does it need to have another plant in the vicinity for pollination?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

^^^ No need for a another plant, the Zuke (as do most squash varieties) have both male and female flowers so it's self pollinating. You can help it along by using a q-tip to transfer the pollen from the male to the female blossom if your area is short on natural pollinators. The female blossom has a tiny fruit attached and the male is just a typical flower.

Today is our first of a string of 90's degree days and it is hot enough to drive me back indoors for a spell. The garden is coming along nicely and there are very few insect pests so far which is a nice surprise considering the mild winter we had (never dropped below 20F). The lettuces are at their peak but this heat wave will make them bitter now. I picked the first beets yesterday, a few plums, and the first cabbage. The carrots aren't there yet.

The peas and broccoli are now all harvested and in the freezer, I added their plant remains to the compost pile. The young tomatoes are all in bloom and setting fruits, while the 2 older plants are holding onto some nice sized ones which should be turning red in 3 weeks or so. The squash and cukes are blooming so they aren't far behind. The cantaloupes are spreading/vining out now but I did lose a few watermelon plants so those will be producing less this season. Sweet potatoes are slow but growing. The snaps are close to blooming and the 2nd corn is up, just planted corn #3 too. The first corn is close to knee high.

I finally finished thinning the pear trees, removed about 70% of the pears otherwise some limbs would snap during a storm. Apples and peaches look good too. Pomegranate is in full bloom but no fruits have set yet. One of the cherry trees is dying but I cannot find a reason for it, no fruit on either one this year. The persimmon tree looks great as usual, the least maintenance tree of them all. No figs yet but the trees look healthy. Hope we get a good rain soon, this heat is too much too early.

Well I actually found a place that sells tillers, all the big box stores seem no no thave any but I can't afford them it was just window shopping but i guess another year of getting the neighbor to use his tractor to till the ground sometime in the next couple of days.

The other day when the power went down for like 4 hours I went over to the neighbors to see if he would till up the ground and he said he would but was busy for a couple of days so he might be over tomorrow or the next day. Later today I probably will get a few things moved closer to the garden so I will be ready when he comes.

The garden is coming along nicely now. Most of the spring crops are done, no more lettuce, radishes, spinach, peas, broccoli, or cabbages out in the field, all have been harvested and either eaten or stored. Still picking the beets and carrots.

The summer crops are growing well for the most part, only losses were half of the bush beans (snaps) and half of the watermelon plants (still don't know the cause?). Everything else is doing fine, the cantaloupes, cucumbers, squash, sweet potatoes, corn, peppers, eggplants, and tomatoes. Now picking cukes, squash, and got our first ripe tomato on June 11th (an early record).

The fruit trees are also looking very good loaded with pears, apples, peaches, & persimmons, and we're picking blueberries now. Still don't know why 1 cherry tree just up and died after looking so good earlier this Spring. I did get a few plums but the squirrels got the rest. The zinnias and cosmos flowers re-seeded themselves from last year and are now blooming. Looks pretty out there.

A nice gentle rain has been falling since this morning, we needed it, and it looks like a wet week ahead which is fine, highs in the 70's too, but back to 90's by the weekend...but hey, it'll be summer by then anyways.

Really hot and dry but putting things in the garden anyway because the week will be busy with my niece graduating and othe stuff, early next week some rain will be coming and the neighbor come over last night and tilled the soil.
    https://twitter.com/DavidLPFairweat/status/1272660335854575616?s=20
    https://twitter.com/DavidLPFairweat/status/1272661533772914692?s=20
    https://twitter.com/DavidLPFairweat/status/1272914255667478528?s=20

We put in a few things a week or two ago, I thought I should share a picture. Just some tomatoes, zukes, and lettuce.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garden.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	348.4 KB 
ID:	25333
    Here's a wider picture...wait, what's that in the background?

Name:	Wide.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	323.1 KB 
ID:	25334
    Better zoom in.

Name:	Zoomed.jpg 
Size:	205.5 KB 
ID:	25335
    Oh, well.

Name:	Eaten.jpg 
Size:	288.7 KB 
ID:	25336
    Stuff that bugs me: I don't know what to do about the sideways pictures.

Nice garden you have there, only thing missing is a hungry hawk ;-)

We do have bald eagles, but I think they eat mostly fish!

I watered the little garden today. It didn't appear to have been further damaged since yesterday.
    When we bought this property in 1997, the lower lot had the house and garage; the upper lot had a large orchard and garden. And a greenhouse, complete with an automatic watering system.
    The garden initially had a lot of stuff in raised beds, including zucchini, artichokes, peas, beans, and horseradish. Do NOT plant horseradish, unless you can figure out how to control it. And about 30 fruit trees, a few of which were down below. Many types of apples, but also apricots, pears, and Asian pears.
    We kept that going for quite a while, until caring for our parents became all-consuming and I just gave up on keeping the deer out. Then two years ago we began building a new house on the upper lot and it all went away. We still have a couple of apple trees down below, but that's it, other than what I just planted.

Today finished putting stuff in the ground, planeted some cucumbers and brocolli seedlings, tomatoes, and beans because it suppose to rain a bit tonight, tomorrow and the next couple of days.