Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041
Results 1,201 to 1,208 of 1208

Thread: A general gardening thread

Toad spent the afternoon starting some seeds.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We have just picked - up - our first navel oranges for the year. They were 'dropped' ones under the tree but tasted lovely. Most of the the ones on the tree are not fully ripe. Our Valencia oranges will not ripen for another couple of months.

Right now I have some lettuce stated outdoors, some romaine and some arugula which the brits pronounce rocket.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Well everything is in the ground now other than some late corn, cukes, and tomatoes to extend those harvests into early autumn. The spinach is bolting so all of that has been picked and frozen, the broccoli too other than some ongoing side shoots. Cabbages are heading up, carrots & beets are plumping up, and the pea pods too. Lettuces are going good as are the rutabagas (a new addition).

All 14 early tomato plants are in ground and blooming, + 3 peppers and 2 eggplants. The rows of snaps (bush beans) and squash are popping up. Sweet potatoes are starting to vine out. Yesterday I transplanted the watermelons and cantaloupes now that the night time lower 40's seem to be behind us here. Now we just need a really good 1" of rain, but the past few weeks have only given us a few sprinkles.

The pears, apples, plums and peaches are moderately heavy with small fruits, will thin those soon. The figs are starting to form and the persimmon and pomegranate trees are blooming (though persimmons lack a real bloom). The greenish blueberries are plump, heavy, and starting to turn blue. Now I'm a bit blue too from all the work, now it's onward with the weeding, watering, picking, etc, it's going to be a heavy hammock use summer ahead.

We've had a cold, dry april and moderately warm, wet may until now. The garden is an explosion of lush green. What a difference with the very dry, very hot springs of past years.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

A few weeks ago I discovered a Russet Burbank (potato) I had intended to cook was growing, so I stuck it in some dirt down below. IT'S ALIVE!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I planted a load of ivy on the berm around the half-raised kids pool. Let's hope it will catch on. The berm is too steep to be able to mow grass.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

I installed a raised bed garden structure this week (with a deer fence - we have a lot of them critters in these parts). I'm no gardener, so we'll see how that works out. Even though I have a full woodshop, I chose to buy a kit rather than make it myself. Much easier. I ran a soaker hose such that there's two lengths down each section of the bed, then covered it with a weed blocker material. I'll have to monitor the water closely at first because I have no idea how much time and how often to water.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E6466 smaller.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	717.2 KB 
ID:	26168