Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most addictive website

Most addictive website

I was tempted to make this into a poll, but I think it's best simply to ask the question and look for free response.

What website do you access for a simple question and wind up spending HOURS on following the various in-site links.

I'll kick this off and say Wikipedia has had my exclusive attention for more days than I'd like to admit to.
    Last edited by Lord Jubjub; 2010-Mar-08 at 01:25 AM. Reason: bad grammar

Wikipedia when I first found it (but also by looking at a lot of links to other sites).

TVtropes is another one. In that case, because there are a lot of funny titles and comments. For instance, this title had me laughing:

Straw Vulcan

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Hard to beat eBay and/or craigslist.org when looking for something in particular to purchase...

Curse you, Van Rijn!
    I just spent two hours at that site. .

Wikipedia has got to be the highest on my list. I'm the kind of person who can log on at 5 in the afternoon, search up the population of Spain or something and then, 5 hours later, end up learning about the Russian revolution, while passing by the Chinese dynasties, several Hindu gods, and an obscure German death metal band. Don't get me wrong, you soak up a lot of information, but sometimes at the end you feel like it'd be better spent doing something else (especially if you wind up with a lot of articles on German death metal

One site I could honestly spend a couple months on is towerdefense.com, home to every single internet tower defense game ever created

The escapist magazine is probably my personal best contender to wikipedia. Tonnes of articles and videos, along with a pretty diverse forum.

Van Rijn, I have been working on reading that entire site. It's slow going, and I just pretend pages never get updated. I have been working toward this goal for months. Apparently, I like long, pointless projects.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

BAUT and BBC for me (particularly during the cricket season, when test matches are being aired)

hmmm...
    on thinking about this...all due respect LordJJ, however innocuous it may be deemed, aren't we kinda promoting otherwebsites redirecting traffic etc etc etc.... shrug shrug
    and that it's against BAUT house rules???!!!

Okay, it's Sunday afternoon for us here, in the UK. London has incredibly clear, cloudless skies, lovely brisk chill in the air... a long, lingering saunter is called for, and a cup of tea.

y'all have a similarly wonderful day too...

For me... the Gaki no tsukai fansite.

TV Tropes may one day let us understand (first hand) the nature of black holes. People stumble into it and find themselves unable to leave. Sooner or later, it'll reach singularity-mass.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

TV Tropes and Wikipedia. Sometimes also Fanfiction.net.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Thanks guys. I have never even heard of some of those sites and now I am too scared to type in the address and look in case I am dragged somewhere I don't really want to go. Like a soap opera that drags you in and consumes you forever.

The websites that are addicting for me are Wikipedia because I can go to look up one thing and than I get sidetracked by another link on Wikipedia. Fanfiction.net is another website I love going to because I love reading fan fiction of my favorite tv shows, movies, and books. Youtube is also addicting because I can spend hours watching videos on it. Also any Hawaii Five-O websites are addicting to me because I love that show.

For me, the most dangerous time sink is tv tropes, definitely. I can get time-sucked into wikipedia occasionally, usually when I'm looking up something about history, then it's click click click and I find myself reading about the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth or something.

Sometimes a video site like college humor can suck me in for a little while, but there's not enough really compelling content to keep me trapped for too long. Also, the silly lists that are at cracked.com can keep me going awhile.

Nick

Occasionally, I'll blow a few hours at Technovelgy.

Wikipedia is the main time-suck. At least I come out of it more educated, and I've fathered some articles.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Wikipedia tends to take time for me, less so now than in the beginning as I'm starting to learn to control the urge for just one more page.
    These days what takes the most time there is that I tend to notice vandalism and bad spelling and take the time to fix them.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Of course Wiki provides a huge time sink - but have you looked at this one:

http://www.galaxyzoo.org/

I spend hours staring at galaxies a long time ago and far far away....

I don't know this tv tropes you speak of - and I'm afraid to look....

Yesterday disappeared in a black hole as I blew several hours on the cracked.com lists, especially after I started fact checking them it got fascinating because they're rather good at making their lists be of real things rather than just inventing something for laughs.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard6 View Post
    Curse you, Van Rijn!
    I just spent two hours at that site. .
    Heh. They have a trope for that.

Of course, you shouldn't click on that link. Really.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Van Rijn, I have been working on reading that entire site. It's slow going, and I just pretend pages never get updated. I have been working toward this goal for months. Apparently, I like long, pointless projects.
    I hadn't gone there for some time, but unfortunately, after I put the link here, I clicked on another link there, and another, and . . . well, I'm sure you know how it goes.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Gah. I'm trapped!
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

In terms of pure, unadulterated time-wasting... I came across this site
    many years ago, and was recently surprised to see it is still there, with
    new pages, even. You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike...

http://www.superbad.com/

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

I'm kind of surprised. Wikipedia has never done that for me, maybe because I know there's so much there that I don't wander around too much. Youtube can at times, but not usually because I generally just find one song and listen to it and then click on another song, while doing something else on the computer (I don't watch the videos, just listen to the sound with the application minimized). BAUT is the only one that really addicts me.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Heh. They have a trope for that.

Of course, you shouldn't click on that link. Really.

Uh, I mean... trap!

Nick

http://www.xkcd.com/518/

and the random button...

Quote Originally Posted by Atraveller View Post
    Of course Wiki provides a huge time sink - but have you looked at this one:

http://www.galaxyzoo.org/

I spend hours staring at galaxies a long time ago and far far away....
    This is this site you're looking for. You will never again go about your business. Click along.

I pull up Drunk Duck and look at the comics that've been updated recently, some pretty good ones there.
    Wowio is a really cheap site for PDF books. A lot of books who's copyright's worn off, or new content put up on the site for free.
    Librivox is much the same. My friend sent it to me because of the list of Arsenne Lupin stories.

Also spend a lot of time on Youtube when i have access to it, looking up videos of martial artists, a good amount of time on Wiki going over history articles, and...

Well, really most of my times is spent reading books or the forums I visist regularly, like this one.

Actually I don't find anything on the web "addicting". The things I get addicted to are in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHalcyonYear View Post
    Actually I don't find anything on the web "addicting". The things I get addicted to are in real life.
    The web isn't real life? To me, having conversations with others and looking at information are part of real life.
    As above, so below

I like dictionary.com .. Wikipedia, Youtube. Way too many addicting websites that I frequent daily. I get my news from a friends site "jimmyr.com" a mashup site with RSS feeds from all news.