Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: vBulletin 4 upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by sarongsong View Post
    Where's the "Mail Room" (PMs)
    Top-right portion of the page, next to the BAUT banner. Click "Notifications". I think you can also get there by clicking on the "Profile" link next to that, then finding messaging on the tool bar on the left of your profile section.

you had to scroll on Usenet? Not with slrn you don't, nor its predecessors trn and rn.

Maybe it just changed---but I see an auto-generated line separating signatures. Of course, mine always had the ------ which I kept from my usenet days.

Quote Originally Posted by tdvance View Post
    Maybe it just changed---but I see an auto-generated line separating signatures
    There is, but it's so pale(#E9E9E9 aka 91% white) that if I get more than 10 degrees off viewing angle on my laptop it's gone.
    Ditto for the difference between forums with and without new posts, if I'm even slightly off center of viewing angle the difference disappears.

There's just plain not enough contrast in this skin.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Will it have a notification if you have a PM waiting. It used to be unread and a number?

Are the friends "+"'s working?

New is new, old is old, Good work, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jlhredshift View Post
    Will it have a notification if you have a PM waiting. It used to be unread and a number?

New is new, old is old, Good work, thanks.
    notification working, thanks Tog

Quote Originally Posted by jlhredshift View Post
    They seem to be in the user list on the front page of the forum. The mods on line are also still in green and the admins in red, though for my eyes, the diffference between the green and the regular blue-gray of the text is slight. I also echo the complaints about poor contrast.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by jaksichj View Post
    IMO kudos go to the webmaster and moderators/administrators on the upgrade --- though it takes awhile to accustomed to---it appears to be easier on the "eyes"--in general.
    It's always that way. We get used to a look, even a simple colour change would make some people riotous. Not there aren't issues though as I described in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I have a suggestion kludge for signatures. I've added a line at the top of mine, and have changed the font, so as to distinguish it from the post.
    Changing font is a useful thing to have done even before this episode. Even on the old forum, I got confused sometimes as to when a signature starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    Okay, as some of you might notice, everything's new. ...
    Some?

Is that what's called an understatement?

Quote Originally Posted by Glom View Post
    It's always that way. We get used to a look, even a simple colour change would make some people riotous. Not there aren't issues though as I described in the other thread.

Changing font is a useful thing to have done even before this episode. Even on the old forum, I got confused sometimes as to when a signature starts.
    I am being serious---the pastels are easier on my bad eyesight...I do admit it does take some getting used to...I have been using my desktop at the forum since I started posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B. View Post
    For those who, like me, are finding the new font to be smaller and less legible -- it's time you learned about Ctrl+ and Ctrl-. On most browsers, those key combinations increase and decrease the font size. I found one Ctrl+ sufficient to make the new font roughly equivalent to the old. (Firefox remembers the setting for every web site you visit, so you don't have to do this every time. I don't know whether other browsers are the same in that regard.)
    Hey Donnie, Thanks for that - I think you saved me having to get a new prescription for my glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Atraveller View Post
    Hey Donnie, Thanks for that - I think you saved me having to get a new prescription for my glasses.
    It also tends to work with Ctrl-mousewheel up/down. For the lazy inclined among us. Like me.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Atraveller View Post
    It also tends to work with Ctrl-mousewheel up/down. For the lazy inclined among us. Like me.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

They seem to be in the user list on the front page of the forum. The mods on line are also still in green and the admins in red, though for my eyes, the diffference between the green and the regular blue-gray of the text is slight. I also echo the complaints about poor contrast.
    I've turned the moderators orange for now. I'm open to suggestions as to color.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    I've turned the moderators orange for now. I'm open to suggestions as to color.
    Looking at the Currently Active user list, you made us orange and Big.

Oh, my, Swift...what a big font you have!
    So many bugs, so little time.

All the better to chide you with!

And Bold.

Quote Originally Posted by ABR. View Post
    Oh, my, Swift...what a big font you have!
    Its not how big it is, its whether it has serifs. Or something like that.

I shot the serif.

But I didn't shoot the deputy.

Okay. Now you're just showing off!

ETA: Er, I didn't realize the fonts went to 11.
    So many bugs, so little time.

Happy now?

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Happy now?
    Wow, I was trying to make a joke that wouldn't involve me having to ban myself and showed my knowledge of fonts.
    Do you think, if I told him I like it the other way better, he would kill me? Did I just type that "out loud"? Have we derailed this thread quite enough?
    All will be answered on our next episode.

Your work here is impressive guys. Thanks for your labors. I didn't notice anywhere in this thread anyone else having login problems, but I did. I couldn't stay logged in until I checked the "remember me" button. Don't know if that's important or not.

I think you were right about the reindexing, as of now all my posts show up in order; however, there doesn't seem to be any indication in this version whether or not those threads have new posts or not. Ah, well.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

I feel like an UmpalumpaTM.
    The real art of conversation is not only saying the right thing at the right moment but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the most tempting moment. -- unknown

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Has everyone noticed the extensive use of CSS border-radius? Box-shadow too. Chrome users should be able to see it. IE and Opera users won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    I shot the serif.

But I didn't shoot the deputy.
    Here's 2000 lbs. of Clap
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

So far; I'm not happy with the upgrade. But; I will reserve judgement until I get used to it.

Although; there are a few things that a very irritating:

Those big envelopes? I don't care how active a post is, and that's what's most visible with them. The difference between read and unread are almost indistiguishable, and that's where I put the importance. Now; maybe if the "last unread" icon is bigger, then maybe I can ignore those big envelopes.

At the top level of the forum, I have absolutely no clue as to which sub-fora have unread posts. Is something missing? It looks like there's space at the left for some icon, but I got nothing (Oh wait... see below). I would at least expect a minimum of a bold heading.

When a post has a quote in it, there is no post number. That makes it very difficult to scroll back and forth to help find pieces of the conversation.

A bit larger font for the poster's name would be nice. It's very important to me to know who's talking.

What's the icon that looks like a piece of notepad paper? It's all over, doesn't have any click event tied to it, and some just have a tooltip of "default" (others have no tooltip) * EDIT: Never mind, it's the type of post/emoticon or whatever it's called to denote the thread type. It used to be off by itself.

It also seems to be designed to be best viewed at 900 pixels wide. I prefer a narrower window, but when I do, the columns all shrink proportionally. Unfortunately, some of those columns that have a relatively stable width of information start to get all funky. The column for the "quote bubble" icons for unread fora (grey vs blue) does not appear if the window is less than 900 pixels.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
    I feel like an UmpalumpaTM.
    Or Oompa-Loompa, even.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"