Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    I may have to hit you (and anyone else who plays DDO) up. I registered an account two or three weeks ago, now that it's free, but I haven't actually installed it yet. Nor did I really look into the company structure; is it 100% free, or "free" with content you have to purchase if you want to use it?
    It's "freemium" -- basic content is free, you have to pay for more interesting stuff.

DDO has three tiers: F2P (Free to Play), Premium, and VIP. VIP is a subscriber -- you pay IIRC $15 a month, and have access to all content. F2P is just that -- you had paid nothing (as of yet), have access only to free content, and can buy any premium item separately.

Premium is what F2P becomes once you buy anything at all. There is significant difference between F2P and Premium, so for as little as $6 (once, not per month) you can make your game a lot more enjoyable.

Price is a bit difficult to figure out because you do not pay for things directly -- rather you buy "Turbine points", then spend them on things like premium adventure packs (so far I bought two). Turbine points are not only bought with money but also acquired by achieving certain milestones within the game; sometimes they are on sale. Often adventure packs, and other things you buy with Turbine points are on sale. So far I paid $16.50 over five months. It will be a while before I buy any more Turbine points, as there is so much free content to explore. Heck, I am not even done yet with one of two premium packs I bought!

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    "Free" with extra things you can buy. From the manual:
    Code:
    Feature           Free                              VIP
    Classes           All except Favored Soul and Monk  All
    Races             Dwarf, Elf, Human, Halfling       All
    Geography         Stormreach                        All
    Premium Modules   Buy                               All
    Character Slots   2                                 10
    Login Queue       No Priority                       Priority
    Chat              Limited                           Unlimited
    Auctions          Limited                           Unlimited
    Mail              Limited                           Unlimited
    Gold              Limited                           Unlimited
    Shared Bank Slot  Purchasable                       Yes
    Turbine Points    Buy                               500/month
    You'll be playing a Demo, but they don't actually have the honesty to tell you that straight out.
    Here is the complete breakdown of Free, Premium and VIP:

http://www.ddo.com/vip

I just picked up a copy of 'Dead Space' at GameStop over the weekend. Good game so far. Reminds me of Silent Hill (albeit not as masterful) or Resident Evil, but in space!

Grand Theft Auto 4: The Lost and Damned

This has some kicking new bikes (choppers) and weapons for the GTA4 game.

Just a quick post to say I am reading replies with interest. It wasn't a seagull post, honest!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Beardsley View Post
    It wasn't a seagull post, honest!
    Oh yeah? Then what's with that mouth-full of shad?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilya View Post
    What always turned me off World of Warcraft and other MMORPG's is the "MM" part. You end up with commitments to too many other people, and have to structure your life around the game. Since last October I've been playing DDO (Dungeons & Dragons Online), and I love it. The big difference is that player characters cannot harm each other, so there is no in-game politics or war among players. Consequently, there is no pressure to "level up" nor to get the rarest shiniest magic item. The focus is on exploring mazes, killing monsters, and solving puzzles. Most of the time I play alone; when not alone, it is with "pick-up groups" who I probably never see again.

It is run by Turbine, the same company which runs Lord of the Rings Online.
    I personally like the MM part - being social with people in-game is a very important part for me, as I learned when I played Fallout 3 (which I enjoyed a lot, but just started to feel "lonely" in after a few tries). Different games for different people, I guess But it is correct, in-game appointments are with real people, so while not 100% as important as "real life" they do take up a certain importance in your schedules.

There is no PvP in Lotro either, though for those who want to PvP there is a thing called Monster play where you PvP in the guise of an orc or a wolf. It's strictly reserved areas for those who like such things.

I haven't played DDO, was interested in it but it was really really calm about it after it started. Maybe I'll try it some day.

Who else is looking forward to Star Wars: The Old Republic?

Somehow when I set up my first XBox Live account for the 360 I ended up being listed as a UK user. The expiration date came up and I couldn't use my credit card to renew it, so I lost 7,000 XP. Oh, woe is me!

I spoke to people at Microsoft and they assured me the only answer was to start a new Profile, and that I couldn't transfer my XP across, so I'm faced with replaying a bunch of old games.

I was thinking of maybe getting that Just Cause 2 game - the grappling sounds sort of like an old favourite, Bionic Commando, but maybe, just maybe... better? (I feel dirty saying that - how could anything be better than Bionic Commando?) If anyone gets that I'd love to hear what they think.

I'm also forced to run my XBox 360 through my laptops wireless connection to go Live, which makes for a pretty poor connection, so I'm aiming more for 1 player offline games for the meantime. Looking forward to tgetting back to my funpad Unit and getting everything set up properly again.

In the meantime, I am hell bent on restarting and this time finishing GTA 4 - The Lost and Damned. Race you to the finish dgavin!

Quote Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
    I was thinking of maybe getting that Just Cause 2 game - the grappling sounds sort of like an old favourite, Bionic Commando, but maybe, just maybe... better? (I feel dirty saying that - how could anything be better than Bionic Commando?) If anyone gets that I'd love to hear what they think.
    I'd suggest downloading the free demo off of XBox marketplace. My buddy told me how awesome the game was (from the demo) so I downloaded it, but I hated it. I thought the control was too clunky to be very functional. Maybe it's just me though. But since the demo is free, try it for yourself. It just limits you to 30 minutes of game time (just resets at that point) and some of the island areas are off limits.

Between the grappling hook and the logic-defying parachute (you can deploy it and . . . unploy? . . . it as often as you want) both make for some interesting gameplay options though.

Ah, good call Fazor. Yes, I'd forgotten about the demos, but I recently switched my internet service provider, and teh new mob allows unlimited XBox download, so it won't hurt my quota.

I'll do that when I get home today - might save me $100. I want to like it, but cool heads will prevail. (Emotional heads will be left eating 2 minute noodles for the rest of the pay period.) Cheers!

Hey Fazor, stigma my butt. The theater prof (and his wife) play Platinum. He was telling me about it at lunch today.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

In addition to Deadspace for 360, I picked up Sam & Max Season I and II. Now I can play Deadspace when I have the tv free, and Sam and Max when I got the laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Hey Fazor, stigma my butt. The theater prof (and his wife) play Platinum. He was telling me about it at lunch today.

Ooh! Ooooooh! I LOVE Sam & Max. I had the original on the PC. How are the new versions?

It's as good as I remember it, though I never played much of the original. I preferred 'Day of the Tenticle'.

Oh, yeah, that's right. Day of the Tentacle is the better one actually.

Yeah, loved 'Day'. The new Sam & Max is good, don't get me wrong, but not quite that level. I haven't checked out the Monkey Island series in a while either.

You just keep coming with them don't you? Monkey Island... had one which I really liked.

The Monkey Island games I've played are great. I still call DOTT the winner, but I'd think there's a real argument for the Monkey series. Did you ever play Indiana Jones - The Fate of Atlantis? It's was different enough for the standard point-and-clicks, but still had that classic Lucasarts humor and interesting puzzles. I enjoyed it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    The Monkey Island games I've played are great.
    How appropriate! You fight like a cow.

ĦMadre de dios! ĦEs el Pollo Diablo!

I am back playing WOW. My guild with it's whopping two members is a blast. The social aspect was fun but I lost all my friends in the divorce settlement .

Quote Originally Posted by closetgeek View Post
    I am back playing WOW. My guild with it's whopping two members is a blast. The social aspect was fun but I lost all my friends in the divorce settlement .
    I've been reading Blizzard's "Class changes" updates they released this week concerning the Cataclysm expansion. Trying to follow along makes my head hurt. On one hand, I miss Warcraft. On the other, I really don't. On the third hand, I miss it again. And on the fourth hand, I've got plenty of games keeping me entertained, and only miss WoW in a 'good-old days' sense. The fifth, sixth, and seventh hands are busy typing this message. While the eight and ninth are occupied playing rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock. Hand eleven is considering re-rolling as an Alliance Dwarf. Hand twelve prefers Horde Undead. Hand thirteen trumps them all, and is firmly wrapped around an XBox controller.

Sorry, was trying to be all 'Steve Martin' there, but there's a reason I'm not Steve Martin.

To bring my new-found but nearly a decade late anguish over the Firefly series into another thread; I though "If Fox [screwed up] the series that bad for television, at least Firefly would make an awsome MMO!" . . . well, apparently they also had that thought back in 2006 around the time of 'Serenity'. Unfortunately, it also ended up being licensed through Fox, and has suffered a long, drawn out death. It appears as of late last year there were still some mumblings, but it looks like they're nothing more than that. Blast!

Indiana Jones - I think I remember hearing of that game, but no, I've never played it. LucasArts did have a good humour about their games though, I'd have to agree there. That was one of the great things about DOTT.

I had several friends who we lost for about 5 years to WoW, so I'll never go near that Digital Crack. They finally got off that stuff and now they've started on Age of Conan, though they swear this time they've got it under control and can stop any time they want. We'll see.

I've just found my copy of FarCry2 in the car last night, so I've started that over. I think it's a fantastic game! I love having such a big world to explore.

I swore to myself that I would buy no more games until I finished the ones I have. I have been toying with Myst Online now that they are back. I have connectivity issues likely split between me and them and haven't worked them out yet. I have also been playing an old version of Unreal.

Does Wii Fit count as a game?

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Does Wii Fit count as a game?
    No, because it's good for you!

(Joking.) Which game? We've got a Wii, and I'm wondering whether to get the Wii Fit.

Break down and buy one. It is nice. You can have up to 8 people (or cats or dogs.) on it, take turns, etc. It is as accurate as my bathroom scale, plus it records the weight/BMI so it isn't a case of forgetting if you were 192 or 197 the next day.

One of item of note, it doesn't work well with weights or heavy clothes. Since it records your weight, throwing on weights or taking off a sweat shirt causes it to believe something is wrong.

Picked up Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion from my girlfriend when I visited her in Minnesota last week. Now this is a game I wish I'd gotten into in its heyday. Kind of a Grand Theft Auto meets Neverwinter Nights feel. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Doodler, the golden age of Elder Scrolls Oblivion is now. Right now. Seriously. There are literal terrabytes of mods that'll make the game even better. tesnexus.com has most of 'em. The top 100 list is worth checking out.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

I loved Oblivion, for a few weeks. Then it got old. I never looked into the mods, but it was a magic act just to get it to run without crashing on this laptop, so I was hesitant to mod it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Doodler, the golden age of Elder Scrolls Oblivion is now. Right now. Seriously. There are literal terrabytes of mods that'll make the game even better. tesnexus.com has most of 'em. The top 100 list is worth checking out.
    And thank you for that Gonna have a look at the mods when I finish working for the day. I still haven't run the entire "main quest" yet, and I still have a lot of unfinished side content left to go.