Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 151 to 165 of 165

Thread: "Bad Universe", Phil's top secret project?

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    location
    Posts
    12,410
    Okay, I just watched it. Not bad: only two Holy Haleakulas. But I disagree about the whole bacteria hitching a ride thing. If the bacteria are inside the meteorite and it's not too large, it will slow down to a much slower speed by the time it hits the ground. I recall that he even discussed this on an astronomy bite on his original website. I'm not sure why he would abandon that calculation now.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    But I disagree about the whole bacteria hitching a ride thing. If the bacteria are inside the meteorite and it's not too large, it will slow down to a much slower speed by the time it hits the ground. I recall that he even discussed this on an astronomy bite on his original website. I'm not sure why he would abandon that calculation now.
    Yes, that was bad also. But not as throw-the-book-against-the-wall bad as the acceleration thing.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,939
    I'm sure that Phil has to make "compromises" in the script to please the network funding the show.

    The momentum of the meteor would affect its impact speed wouldn't it?

    A better second effort I thought

    Edit: Speaking of acceleration, there was no mention of having to slow down once you've reached the destination either

    Pete

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    18,442
    Quote Originally Posted by peter eldergill View Post
    Edit: Speaking of acceleration, there was no mention of having to slow down once you've reached the destination either
    No need, in physics it's still acceleration, you're just accelerating in the other direction.
    __________________________________________________
    Reductionist and proud of it.

    Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    location
    Posts
    12,410
    Quote Originally Posted by peter eldergill View Post
    I'm sure that Phil has to make "compromises" in the script to please the network funding the show.
    Yes, but compromises shouldn't misrepresent facts. I would give Phil a pass under the assumption that they would only endure the acceleration for a short time at launch to get to an escape velocity before the rocket cut-out, but he said they would have to endure decades of high G acceleration which is not only highly improbable, it soon runs up against impossible due to relativity (I won't speculate as to which frame of reference he might use). The only realistic way to travel at acceleration for decades is to slog along with really low accelerations.

    Referencing Heinlein's calculations in Expanded Universe: at the bearable 1 gee acceleration equivalent to that with which we live here on Earth, getting to the non-planet Pluto only takes a little over 2 weeks. At solar sail class accelerations of 1/1000 gee, it still takes less than 1.5 years. Note that these are two leg journeys with a turnover and reverse (braking) acceleration for half of that time. A continuously forward-accelerated (non-braking) flyby would arrive much quicker, less than a year at 1/1000 gee (calculated by rounding to 3 billion miles). At 5 gees referenced in Phil's show it would take about 5 days.

    The momentum of the meteor would affect its impact speed wouldn't it?
    The more massive it is, the more speed it will retain after passage through the atmosphere, assuming it doesn't explode at altitude and assuming it doesn't skip off the atmosphere on an aerocapture trajectory.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,939
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    Yes, but compromises shouldn't misrepresent facts. I would give Phil a pass under the assumption that they would only endure the acceleration for a short time at launch to get to an escape velocity before the rocket cut-out, but he said they would have to endure decades of high G acceleration which is not only highly improbable, it soon runs up against impossible due to relativity (I won't speculate as to which frame of reference he might use). The only realistic way to travel at acceleration for decades is to slog along with really low accelerations.
    My bold

    So do you think he misspoke, or something was lost "in translation" to layman speak? The whole explanation seemed a bit weak on the numbers

    Pete

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    18,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Pacis View Post
    Yes, but compromises shouldn't misrepresent facts. I would give Phil a pass under the assumption that they would only endure the acceleration for a short time at launch to get to an escape velocity before the rocket cut-out, but he said they would have to endure decades of high G acceleration which is not only highly improbable, it soon runs up against impossible due to relativity (I won't speculate as to which frame of reference he might use). The only realistic way to travel at acceleration for decades is to slog along with really low accelerations.
    There are practical issues to acceleration (for instance, mass ratios if a rocket scheme), and dangers of running into stuff at high relative velocities, but there aren't theoretical relativity limits on acceleration, no matter how hard you accelerate.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    location
    Posts
    12,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    There are practical issues to acceleration (for instance, mass ratios if a rocket scheme), and dangers of running into stuff at high relative velocities, but there aren't theoretical relativity limits on acceleration, no matter how hard you accelerate.
    impractical = impossible for this exercise.

    Quote Originally Posted by peter eldergill
    So do you think he misspoke, or something was lost "in translation" to layman speak? The whole explanation seemed a bit weak on the numbers
    That was a long sentence, so I'll distill it; "I would... but." In other words, something doesn't add up and parsing all his comments leads me to suspect it's not an editing issue. It is a paradox: I assume he knows, so I can't explain why he appeared not to know.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,594
    Now NSWR was to have sustained acceleration for hours, if doable. That's not bad esp. if you can keep it at 1 g.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    N.E.Ohio
    Posts
    22,006
    Episode 3 tomorrow...

    I just happened to be on the BA site, and noticed today's story. I thought it was worth a heads up over here.

    Bad Universe Episode 3 airs Tuesday April 19

    Well, it’s been a while coming, but I’m pleased to let y’all know that the third and final episode of "Bad Universe" will air on The Discovery Channel tomorrow, April 19, at 11:00 a.m. Eastern (US) time — but of course, check your local listings.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,531
    Quote Originally Posted by NEOWatcher View Post
    Episode 3 tomorrow...

    I just happened to be on the BA site, and noticed today's story.
    ...where Phil almost begs people to watch...

    Why doesn't he just start a thread here?...that would certainly advertise it.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,186
    Phil hasn't posted to BAUT for years.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,594
    Thats a little sad. He is busy of course.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,872
    "He excels in math!" C3PO
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    13,531
    Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Thats a little sad. He is busy of course.
    At one time I accepted the "I'm too busy" reason for Phil abandoning his own forum, but really...how long does it take to type a quick note?? Naw, the "i'm too busy" reason just doesn't "fly". it seems Phil just doesn't want to post here...not even to promote his TV show.

    ...and that is sad...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2010-Jul-23, 04:55 PM
  2. Inflation: Is our "horizon" the same as our "bubble universe"?
    By fxer in forum Space/Astronomy Questions and Answers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2008-Apr-30, 08:07 PM
  3. Replies: 68
    Last Post: 2007-Jan-31, 08:11 AM
  4. Phil's "favourite" film is on UK Channel 5 this Sunday
    By Sticks in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 2006-Jan-02, 08:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •