Thread: The Wire, Pillars of the Earth and Spartacus

The Wire, Pillars of the Earth and Spartacus

These are three shows on cable that I watch on a regular basis.

The Wire: A show about the drug trade and how it effects every aspect of an American inner-city. The dealers, the police, the schools and even the politicians all have systems in which they work in and how drugs and crime influences them all. I really don't like shows about the ghetto, but the Wire really brings it's characters to life and you start to understand their world.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand: Intrigues and schemes would best describe this show. You catch a glimpse of what it's like to live in ancient Rome, be you a slave or noble (yet all the "Romans" are played by New Zealanders). There's a great detail to historical accuracy. You soon realize the Romans would stab each other in the back for a bag of coin and you want the main characters to have the justice they've been denied. It has good fight scenes despite the cheesy soft-core scenes, which are there to market towards men; despite that, most people I know who watch Spartacus regularly are women...

Pillars of the Earth: Just getting into it. It's on the same level of historical accuracy as Spartacus, save in 1138 the English nobles should be speaking Old French and not English. It has a lot of politics over land, estates etc. between the other nobles, the King and the church. It's turning to be much better than I expected.

Your thoughts?

Does anyone else watch these shows?

I don't get any of the channels, which annoys me greatly on the subject of Pillars of the Earth, because I love the book so.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I love The Wire - it's a very well balanced approach, and the characters are wonderfully done. I've got to dig up season 5 and finish it off - got the DVD at home somewhere.

I'm not familiar at all with the other shows though.

Pillars of the Earth does not, to me, count as a "show" per se. "Miniseries," albeit a long one. It doesn't matter what the ratings are, you see. Since it's based on a book, it has a pretty definite ending. They could do the second book, though.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Pillars of the Earth annoyed me, especially the rape scene, which I thought was written to titillate. Sex kinda overwhelmed the whole book. I mean I know it's something people have always been interested in, but I can't believe that it was the only viable topic of conversation in 1138.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Oh, there are plenty of other conversations in those books--war does rather influence things. And religion. And power.

"You can't erase icing."

BTW, the Wire is playing on Direct TV's 101.