Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farscape

Farscape

Farscape is my favorite science fiction show (and I feel terrible posting about it in a forum with the title "Bad TV!"). I was wondering if there were any other fans around these boards. The show seems to be free from the quibbles that so often plague other shows because of its almost complete lack of techno-babble. But I thought it would be interssting to go through the show and perhaps find some quibbles.

The worst one would have to be the planet that contained Scorpius's original Gamek base. It had an oxygen atmosphere and oceans of oil. The whole planet would go up in a single lightning strike. Even if a such a planet could exist, the Peacekeepers would have to be complete idiots to build a base there.

John and Dargo destroyed it be crashing a transport pod into one of the petro-seas. They escaped by leaving the pod before it entered the atmosphere, but somehow avoided reentry themselves. Bugs Bunny could once escaped from a crashing plane by using a similar method.

For your Farscape pain read this and rejoice

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m...4/05/17.00.sfc

I am very pleased that the miniseries has been officially announced!

When I watched the episode with the oil-covered moon ("Family Ties") I thought the same thing. If for some reason the Peacekeepers insited on building the Gamek base in such a perposterous location, I wonder how the base would be able to defend itself from hostile ships without the fmaing debris igniting the seas.

[/i]

About time.

Here are some images from the upcoming miniseries. Enjoy.

Possible spoilers.

http://www.farscapeworld.com/news/shownews.php?id=128

http://www.farscapeworld.com/news/shownews.php?id=129

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    I just love that first pic of D'Argo in the second post. It's just great.

My major gripe about it is "noisy space". I mean come on - there's one episode where a character actually screams audibly as she goes flying into outer space! Duuh! #-o

Quote Originally Posted by Gullible Jones
    My major gripe about it is "noisy space". I mean come on - there's one episode where a character actually screams audibly as she goes flying into outer space! Duuh! #-o
    Blame Lucas. He's the one who started it all (and continued it with those *seismic* bombs :roll: ). I notice sound in space most of the time, but I can forgive it on dramatic grounds or something like that.

[edit] Woohoo! I'm now an intern! From a Farscape thread even. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Dax
    My major gripe about it is "noisy space".
    Blame Lucas. He's the one who started it all
    *cough* Star Trek *cough* 8-[

Yes, Trek stinks, and is getting stinkier by the moment. It seems to have a reputation as an "intellectual" show, but I cannot see how it could be "intellectual" with the horrendous physics. And the perversities on Enterprise don't do any good, either.

(Nor, of course, do the completely humanlike aliens.)

The Gravity of the Situation...

The thing that always bugs me on these shows is the sudden gravity all these ships seem to have. Somehow they "create" gravity. Yes, I know they do it for budgetary reasons, but Babylon 5 found a way around it for several seasons (the Babylon station spun, creating centrifugal force), until they decided they had to have an alien fighting ship with "artificial" (unexplained) gravity.

Anyway, I wish the writers would just come up with better explanations rather than "we pushed a button and have gravity." Think of the fun model makers would have on these shows if they came up with different designs of ships that provide a spin for gravity! (Even Nick Meyer, the writer/director, said he was frustrated by this, so he decided to (briefly) destroy the gravity-maker on the Klingon ambassadorial ship in "Star Trek VI.")

Oh, and by the way...Moia, from Farscape, is a BIOLOGICAL ship. So how does she create gravity inside her? Did she swallow one of those Star Trek ships?

If I remember correctly there's no sound in space in Firefly. Am I right? Is there any other series without sound... in space?

I watch Farscape. Not my favorite, but still a good show.

Quote Originally Posted by JMV
    If I remember correctly there's no sound in space in Firefly. Am I right? Is there any other series without sound... in space?
    Sci-Fi Channel's Battlestar Galactica at least split the difference between scientific accuracy and dramatic license by using "muffled" sound in the space combat sequences.

Quote Originally Posted by DataCable
    My major gripe about it is "noisy space".
    I will admit that I'm not great with the original series, but the Enterprise doesn't make noise in space, as I recall, until the movies (which were made because of Star Wars).

I will admit that I'm not great with the original series, but the Enterprise doesn't make noise in space, as I recall, until the movies (which were made because of Star Wars).
    The initial space combat scenes in "Balance of Terror" were essentially silent, using only music cues to punctuate the action. However, all subsequent instances of phaser or photorp fire were accompanied by sound effects. Plus, there's that "whoosh" sound of the ship flying by in the intro, though it's arguable as to wether that counts as "part" of the show, and I can't recall offhand if it was ever used within an episode proper.

I'm pretty sure the old Flash Gordon serials back in the 30's or 40's had sound in space. Certainly, some of those cheesy 50's space shows like Rocky Jones Space Ranger had audible ship explosions. You can't blame Star Trek for following the trend.

Farscape's my fave show! I was excited to hear that they're coming out with the mini-series. On some episodes, some are so ludricous! I have no idea if a human can actually survive in space without the flight suit? I know there's no oxygen nor gravity in space and plus the temperature, I believe, would bone chilling cold. But it's a great sci fi entertainment so I can put some of the weirdness aside.

Farscape was a great show. A pity that it was cancelled.

I can hold my breath for a long, long time...

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceChick
    I have no idea if a human can actually survive in space without the flight suit? I know there's no oxygen nor gravity in space and plus the temperature, I believe, would bone chilling cold.
    I think a person can survive in space without a suit for as long as they can hold their breath. You'd die of asphyxiation long before you'd freeze to death. So if John can hold his breath for a long, long time, he should make it (though all the moisture in his mouth and eyes would have evaporated, and he'd probably be shaking uncontrollably from the cold). And who knows how long those aliens can hold their breaths?

Re: I can hold my breath for a long, long time...

Quote Originally Posted by The Bear
    I have no idea if a human can actually survive in space without the flight suit? I know there's no oxygen nor gravity in space and plus the temperature, I believe, would bone chilling cold.
    I think a person can survive in space without a suit for as long as they can hold their breath. You'd die of asphyxiation long before you'd freeze to death. So if John can hold his breath for a long, long time, he should make it (though all the moisture in his mouth and eyes would have evaporated, and he'd probably be shaking uncontrollably from the cold). And who knows how long those aliens can hold their breaths?
    This crops up often enough that it's in one of the space FAQs.

If you hold your breath you'll cause immediate and irreparable damage to your lungs--dead in minutes, even if you get brought back inside immediately. Bad idea. Instead, open your throat and let the air rush out; you'll have a few seconds (up to thirty as I recall) of consciousness. Cold isn't going to be an issue in that time period.

Quote Originally Posted by daver

If you hold your breath you'll cause immediate and irreparable damage to your lungs--dead in minutes, even if you get brought back inside immediately. Bad idea. Instead, open your throat and let the air rush out; you'll have a few seconds (up to thirty as I recall) of consciousness. Cold isn't going to be an issue in that time period.
    Yeah, and ya' gotta remember ta Fart, too.

Otherwise, you'll Damage your Sphincter ...

Yes, holding your breath would rupture your lungs.

A person could servive for some time in a vacuum, but they'd get a horrible case of the bends pretty fast, I think.

Yes, holding your breath would rupture your lungs.

A person could servive for some time in a vacuum, but they'd get a horrible case of the bends pretty fast, I think.
    By the time the nitrogen starts coming out of your blood you're unconscious or dead, so it doesn't much matter.

Unconscious or dead from internal bleeding? Or from asphyxiation? (Remember, there's no medium to carry heat from your body, so the low temperatures wouldn't kill you before something else did.)

Unconscious or dead from internal bleeding? Or from asphyxiation? (Remember, there's no medium to carry heat from your body, so the low temperatures wouldn't kill you before something else did.)
    Asphyxiation. The lungs are very good at transferring oxygen from one side to the other; as soon as you start breathing vacuum your lungs start deoxygenating your blood. One pass through, and there's not enough oxygen to sustain consciousness. You go out like a light. Other nasty things might happen to you subsequently, but you'll never notice.

Taking a hefty dose of tranquilizers to slow your pulse down to 30 or so might buy you a few more seconds. Holding your breath is worse than useless. The only thing that will help would be some sort of a suit, and if you had that you wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by daver

So thats why they were told to exhale in Titan AE.

I don't think you'd get very cold in space either. Sure some of the liquids on your skin would boil away taking heat, but that would not be a whole lot. remember, vacuum is a good insulator. Most of the heat lost would be from radiation. However, if you are in the inner solar system, say earth orbit, you would probably burn from the unfiltered solar energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpax2003
    I don't think you'd get very cold in space either. Sure some of the liquids on your skin would boil away taking heat, but that would not be a whole lot. remember, vacuum is a good insulator. Most of the heat lost would be from radiation. However, if you are in the inner solar system, say earth orbit, you would probably burn from the unfiltered solar energy.
    I seem to recall an Arthur C. Clarke story in which passengers from a space vehicle had to be rescued by going through a vacuum. They all survived but had really bad sunburns.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Going for the more obvious Arthur C. Clarke reference- in 2001, when Dave Bowman dives from his Pod into the airlock without his suit's helmet. That was amazingly dramatic to me mainly because of the "If you go out into space, you die" thing in so much Sci-Fi.

Another pretty good dramatic use of it was Event Horizon, but I don't know how accurate either of these things were scientifically.