Thread: More out there than just Farscape...

More out there than just Farscape...

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Television&amp ;action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270355&ob j_id=41212
    Cinescape[/url]]
    • RINGWORLD: Based on Larry Niven's RINGWORLD series of novels, a four-hour mini-series is in development. In the future four explorers crash on an artificial structure in deep space, a mammoth ring that circles a distant star. Exploring this strange place, the humans discover that there is life here and secrets that could change the universe forever.
    Woo-hoo! =D> Just hope they do a decent job with this. 8-[

I'm a little concerned at the use of the word "humans" in that description. Shouldn't there be 2 humans, 1 Kzin, and 1... errrm what was the name of the race that sponsored the Ringworld expedition anyway? Gads, I only read that again like a year ago and can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    I'm a little concerned at the use of the word "humans" in that description. Shouldn't there be 2 humans, 1 Kzin, and 1... errrm what was the name of the race that sponsored the Ringworld expedition anyway? Gads, I only read that again like a year ago and can't remember.
    Pearson's Puppeteers. Among my favourite and most memorable aliens, actually. How could you forget about them? [-X I love their total cowardice, right down to calling their leader the Hindmost. Sensible creatures. Of course the leader of the Ringworld expedition, Nessus, is an insane Puppetter...

Pierson's Puppeteer?

Wasn't it a "Pierson's Puppeteer"(sp?)

Re: Pierson's Puppeteer?

Quote Originally Posted by Matherly
    Yep. I stand corrected...

Other expedition members: Louis Wu, Speaker to Animals (kzin) and Teela Brown, who has that genetic luckiness thing, and must have been the inspiration for Trance Gemini in Andromeda.

Incidentally, I never figured out how you could select for luck on the basis that evolution would already have done that. But both prey and predators would be selected for their luck, so what kind of wacky ecology do you get?

As long as all of you are okay with someone who probably doesn't grasp the math, physics or other sciences behind Niven's work, i.e., the producers and writers and actors, you'll probably enjoy it. :wink:

Remember, these are the same people that canceled "Farscape" and did that version of "Riverworld". #-o

David.

Re: Pierson's Puppeteer?

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Vizier
    Quote Originally Posted by Matherly
    Yep. I stand corrected...

Other expedition members: Louis Wu, Speaker to Animals (kzin) and Teela Brown, who has that genetic luckiness thing, and must have been the inspiration for Trance Gemini in Andromeda.

Incidentally, I never figured out how you could select for luck on the basis that evolution would already have done that. But both prey and predators would be selected for their luck, so what kind of wacky ecology do you get?
    Thaaaat's right. I had totally forgetten the names of the Puppeteer's. They weren't really cowards though... technically they were just risk averse. They were capable of some bravado if the consequences of failing to take action were worse than subjecting themselves to danger in the first place. I liked their very long-term, manipulative view of the universe as well.

Ah, such a good book series. No doubt destined to be butchered.