Thread: How Many Lights?

Red face How Many Lights?

I'm usually the last to retire in our condo; SWMBO is a morning person, and I am a nighthawk. As I shut down the electronics and headed to my man cave, the number of lights that indicated things are OFF got me a-thinkin'. Herewith are the lights ON when everything is OFF.
    TV - blue
    Amplifier - white
    DVD - red
    WII - Amber
    Cordless headphones - red & green
    DVR - Clock - green, red if recording
    Phones - (3) red, Base - 2 red
    Bedroom clocks - (2) green
    Kitchen stove - clock - green
    Toaster - blue
    My bathroom - Electric toothbrush - blue
    Cable modem - 5 yellow
    Router - 2 yellow, blue, green
    Surge protector - red
    Speakers - 2 green
    Backup disk -Blue
    USB hub - Red
    Is that in line with other's experience? Does it increase my Electric bill? Is it worth the trouble of completely powering everything down, and back up in the morning? How many watts does an LED draw, anyway.

LEDs are very efficient, but devices often are using ten or twenty watts even in "standby" mode. If a device is "turned on" with a remote, it never is completely off, and some devices are run pretty much constantly (like DVRs, cable modems, routers, etc.) unless you put a switch in front of them and turn them off.

If you're on the power grid, it doesn't add that much to your bill compared to the big electricity users (kitchen appliances, air conditioning, plasma TVs, etc.) though people that are off the grid with PV solar/battery systems will be very careful about this stuff. For them, it can mean running out of power when the weather is bad.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I got an electrical meter to find out how much power devices were pulling. I got rid of an old tube TV and got a new digital just because of the power savings. The worst thing I found is the dehumidifier when running, 2 or 3 times more draw then the frig.

The major problem is that you have to plug them into the wall socket and connect the device to it which makes it impossible to see the display but if you use a power strip instead you can get around that problem.

A couple of years ago I couldn't find one at the brick and mortar and I had to order one over the Internet from Amazon, but now a days you can get one at Home Depot for 30 bucks.

LED lights do not draw much power but even "Off" state can be misleading.

of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    There are four lights.

(I'm surprised that nobody has made that joke yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Dax View Post
    There are four lights.

I was but didn't.

Also, resistance is futile.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard6 View Post
    ... Is it worth the trouble of completely powering everything down ...
    Let's put it this way: do you worry about the strain your dashboard clock puts on your car battery?

I kid you not, I know somebody who does worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by kleindoofy View Post
    Let's put it this way: do you worry about the strain your dashboard clock puts on your car battery?

I kid you not, I know somebody who does worry about that.
    if i don't start my 87 GMC pickup for a few weeks, the clock will drain the battery down. same deal with my 84 Regal- if i don't unhook the battery when i park it for more than a week or so, the radio memory will drain the battery down enough that it won't crank the engine over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Dax View Post
    There are four lights.

You beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
    if i don't start my 87 GMC pickup for a few weeks, the clock will drain the battery down. same deal with my 84 Regal- if i don't unhook the battery when i park it for more than a week or so, the radio memory will drain the battery down enough that it won't crank the engine over.
    I have a camper that drains the battery in a few weeks. And that's completely drained, not just drained enough to not have power to crank.
    What's on? I think it's only a radio (which is off), the refrigerator electronics (not really sure how much is on, but it's one of those pressure sensitive switches just to get a display), and a gas detector (smoke and CO2 are both independent batteries)

Just my entertainment center has 15 indicator LED's and about 9 digits of numeric displays when off.