Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books that you think might cause you to die laughing

Books that you think might cause you to die laughing

My first offering is a story that I read as a Reader's Digest Condensed Book. I read it a dozen times as a youth and was on the floor laughing several times even if it was the third or fourth time through.

Don Quixote U.S.A. A story of a clueless Peace Corps volunteer who winds up as president of a banana republic.

As a quick edit, let me also include the adventures of Jame Retief by Laumer. Especially the books written in the '60s and '70s.

Not a contiguous novel, but Jean Shepherd's collections (especially In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash and Wanda Hickey's Night of Golden Memories) have laid me out. Such memorable lines as:

"But southern Michigan was a long way from northern Indiana and the Olds was our only hope."

"He returned smelling of whisky and carrying a can full of gas so cheap you could hear it knocking in the container."

The man was a genius.

The fantasy novels of Thorne Smith. To quote a review on his website "Mention the name Thorne Smith in social circles and you’re likely to get blank looks. Unless your audience is over the age of 50, most will assume you’re speaking of a television actress, semi-popular in the 1990’s. Yet the contribution of American Humorist Thorne Smith to popular culture over the last 75 years has had such an immense impact, it’s a shame very few recall his name."
    I checked Amazon, found some were in print, and downloaded The Night Life of the Gods, in which a man learns how to turn living things to stone, and vice versa. Hilarity ensues.

Most of Douglas Adams' books (Hitch Hiker's Guide, Dirk Gently, The Meaning of Liff) have made me laugh out loud at various times, sometimes quite loudly and sometimes for a long time. The one occasion when I laughed so hard and for so long that it stopped being pleasant was about halfway through the last Hitch Hiker book, Mostly Harmless, back in 1992. It was the miserable section about the planet of the boghogs.

The John Mortimer Rumpole books...

Frazer's Flashman books...

Booth Tarkingston's Penrod...

P.J. Wodehouse's Jeeves
    Last edited by gzhpcu; 2010-Oct-24 at 10:41 AM.

Bored of the Rings, by Harvard Lampoon, is the funniest thing I've ever read. It requires familiarity with Tolkien's Lord of the Rings to appreciate the humor.

Aye, Bored of the Rings. And Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

David Nobbs's The Death of Reginald Perrin is the only book that has ever made me laugh so much I got cramp in my abdominal muscles and face.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    Aye, Bored of the Rings. And Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Fred
    Oh, yes, BotR. "They followed the rising gorge that led to the next chapter." Also the Ballhog and the Thesaurus.

And the Doctor in Bat Country.

Excellent choices.

Negligible Tales by Ambrose Bierce

There are bits of Dresden and bits of Pratchett both. Mary Roach often makes me laugh out loud. Sarah Vowell.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Dishwasher by Pete Jordan, it can be found in the travel section in most book stores. This book made me laugh out loud quite a few times.

Oh, yes--that brings up Bill Bryson.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

At the risk of seeming obsessed (see my sig), Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes compilations.

Quote Originally Posted by absael View Post
    At the risk of seeming obsessed (see my sig), Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes compilations.
    Absolutely! I'm a big Calvin and Hobbes fan too.

And if no one minds me mentioning some children's books, Don't Care High or The D-Minus Poems of Jeremy Bloom by Gordon Korman.

Dave Barry has made me laugh out loud more times than I can remember.

Pratchett and Adams, both already mentioned. Some religious texts too.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I second Calvin and Hobbes and Dave Barry.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I would have said Calvin and Hobbes too, but didn't mention comics...

How about Thurber (Walter Mitty, etc...)....

Several books by Tom Sharpe had me behaving inappropriately (by British standards) on the train. Although Porterhouse Blue and Wilt are perhaps the best known, I think it was the earlier South African ones like Indecent Exposure and Riotous Assembly that personally I found more amusing.

gzhcpu beat me to Thurber. I read and reread his stuff as a lad. There were some hilarious stories in My Life and Hard Times, like the time he spent a sleepless night obsessively trying to remember the name of the town of Perth Amboy, NJ; or his relative who put covers over the wall sockets to prevent the electricity from leaking out, or "the day the dam broke". His odd little cartoons are great, too, e.g. The War Between Men and Women.

There have been several, but the one that came first to mind is The Boss Is Crazy, Too by Mell Lazarus.

Another is Up the Organization by Robert Townsend.

Feel free to Google.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Ages in Chaos by Immanuel Velikovsky.

And I nearly did when I read it.

[expletive] My Dad Says by Justin Halpern.

Unfortunately, I can't say the same thing about the book-inspired television pilot starring William Shatner that aired recently.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by RAF_Blackace View Post
    Ages in Chaos by Immanuel Velikovsky.

And I nearly did when I read it.
    I really don't think he intended that effect.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Dave Barry has made me laugh out loud more times than I can remember.
    There is a black hole in my house that sucks up spoons and Dave Barry books. I've read History of the Millenium, Dave Barry Talks Back, and just recently I'll Mature When I'm Dead. The third was, IMHO the funniest; hysterics is a more accurate description. It's juvenile but he plots out the punchlines perfectly.

Gary Larson's Farside comics.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Roger Ebert's I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie and Your Movie Sucks. Yes, Great Movies III is a worthy book, and I want to own it at some point. However, I'd love another anthology of his negative reviews.

"You can't erase icing."

Strangely my favorite humor books are by Robert Ludlum, "The Road to Gandolfo" and "Omaha", the adventures of General Hawkins and his lawyer Sam Devereaux.

One book I would love to reread is about a guy who relocates his family to the Alaskan outback, the scene I remember best was the family had a AMC Jeep JC5 air lifted in and it got lost! Every chapter had me giggling. Anyone remember the author or the name of the book?

I found a few Carl Hiaasen novels humourous, my favourite being "Skin Deep". I'll second "Road to Gandalfo".