Thread: The lengthiest (in page numbers) work you've read?

Lightbulb The lengthiest (in page numbers) work you've read?

I'm curious if anyone can top this. Not out of pride or "bragging rights" -- merely curious.

I'm reading the memoirs of Casanova. They make up 6 volumes. Each volume is roughly 630 pages in length. That's approximately 3,780 printed pages to read (and to think he wrote all this with quills and ink pots!).

You?
    Dip me in ink and toss me to the Poets.

Isn't that total about the same as one of the thicker Harry Potters?

Ok, quick check showed it's not really.
    The total page count though is 4100 (US editions) so I guess there may be quite a few people here who have read something lengthier.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

In a single volume, the Bible. The edition I used most often had 1147 pages, small print. I've read other editions that had larger print and probably higher page count, but I can't recall the numbers.

Ive read several long book series; the Wild Cards series, The Belgariad/Mallorion series, the Warlock In Spite Of Himself series, probably others of similar length that I've forgotten.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    Isn't that total about the same as one of the thicker Harry Potters?

The total page count though is 4100 (US editions) so I guess there may be quite a few people here who have read something lengthier.
    I'm sad enough to admit reading the whole of Harry Potter, twice, in Spanish. Does that count? I must also have read just about all of Dickens, which must amount to around 12,000 pages (just estimating). Although not the same work, it's all very much the same style and theme.

Page number is not enough. We also need to know font size and type, paper size and line spacing format!

Word counts would be enough.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

The unedited version of King's The Stand. Much as I love his work, the (slightly!) shorter version really is better, IMO.

As a set of books, The Lord of the Rings; as a series, Herbert's original Dune novels.

Word counts would be enough.
    Yeah but will you count words such as "the", "a" and "and". I think letter count is better.

Does the Discworld series count as one work? I've also reread Harry Potter recently.

But honestly, I don't much think about how long the books are. (And I prefer the longer Stand; I think the characters get better development.) I just read them until they're done. I do check page count when I'm reading, so I know about how much I have left, but that doesn't mean I remember later.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The total page count though is 4100 (US editions)...
    You're referring to Casanova's memoirs?

TRS:
    Page number is not enough. We also need to know font size and type, paper size and line spacing format!

Good luck with that.

No, he's referring to Harry Potter.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The later Wheel of Time hardcovers tend to be in the 1100 - 1200 page range.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

The Baroque Cycle - 2671 pages.

If you include Cryptonomicon as part of the same series - 3589.
    Calm down, have some dip. - George Carlin

Although published in three volumes The Night's Dawn trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton is one single story, that in my paperback version spans 3754 pages.

Probably The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.

Harry Potter Yes
    Wheel of Time Yes
    Night's Dawn Yes
    Lord of the Rings Yes

And from this List of longest novels from Wikipedia:

A Suitable Boy (1349/1488 pages) , Atlas Shrugged (1368 pages) and War and Peace (1225/1475 pages)

"All und Alles-Beelzebubs Erzahlungen fuer Seinem Enkel" (G.I.Gurdjieff) I had read it in English many times, but since I claim some fluency in German, I got the German edition....Due to German grammar and construction, it was longer than the English version. 1300+ pages at least. The main thing was having read it in English, I was able to figure out the German without resorting to a dictionary, this is invaluable practice in staying fluent in another language, at least to me it was..

All of the usual suspects as well, "Atlas Shrugged", "Dune" and many other weighty tomes....

The "Dune" was, at least, entertainment in Nam, better than that whatever they were showing on the one TV Station....(re-runs of Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, and some other unwatchable shows....The only one we generally waited for was "Star trek"!)

Dale

Let's see:
    Harry Potter books
    LRH's "Mission Earth" series (10 books total-must be 4500-5000 pages at least)
    David Wingrove's "Chung Kuo" series (7 books, another 4000+ pages)
    Others...

In a single book, probably It or The Stand, can't remember which was longer.

For me, it was one of War and Peace or Les Miserables. Both about 1500-1800 pages, depending on the typesetting.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Probably The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich.
    In a similar vein, it might be The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union for me.

Unless we're counting multiple volume works - which we appear to be given Buttercup's Casanova example. Then it might be the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Or maybe Robert E. Howard's Conan volumes.

I just read Amber (10 smaller books combined in one large paper back book) for the third time.

I read Churchill's "The Second World War" in college and after over a couple of years. First just researching the Pacific War in general but later the whole six volumes, he was a excellent writer.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel View Post
    I just read Amber (10 smaller books combined in one large paper back book) for the third time.
    It's a good series, though I'd never been able to track down all of the books at any one time. I was glad when they re-released it as a single edition.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.