Thread: Chandra Finds a Gamma Ray Blast Remnant

Chandra Finds a Gamma Ray Blast Remnant

Combined data from the Chandra X-Ray Observatory and the Palomar 200-inch telescope have uncovered the remnant of a gamma-ray burst - one of the most powerful known explosions in the Universe - in our galactic neighborhood. W49B is a barrel-shaped nebula located 35,000 light-years from Earth. In the cosmic wreckage of the explosion, astronomers have found chemicals consistent with the collapsar model of a gamma-ray burst. In this model, a massive star forms inside a cloud of dust and gas and then becomes a black hole, creating a powerful explosion.
    Pretty picture!
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Re: Chandra Finds a Gamma Ray Blast Remnant

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek

Combined data from the Chandra X-Ray Observatory and the Palomar 200-inch telescope have uncovered the remnant of a gamma-ray burst - one of the most powerful known explosions in the Universe - in our galactic neighborhood. W49B is a barrel-shaped nebula located 35,000 light-years from Earth. In the cosmic wreckage of the explosion, astronomers have found chemicals consistent with the collapsar model of a gamma-ray burst. In this model, a massive star forms inside a cloud of dust and gas and then becomes a black hole, creating a powerful explosion.
    Pretty picture!
    I am surprised they found a reminent only 35,000 light years away given that GRBs are fairly rare in galactic terms. If memory serves we see about one of these per day for the observable universe.

What is the current thinking of just how far away is safe if one a GRBs jets is pointed our way? I know it is in the order of thousands of light years and that some have suggested that GRBs are a reason why we have not seen any evidence of ETs.

Quote Originally Posted by harlequin
    I am surprised they found a reminent only 35,000 light years away given that GRBs are fairly rare in galactic terms. If memory serves we see about one of these per day for the observable universe.

What is the current thinking of just how far away is safe if one a GRBs jets is pointed our way? I know it is in the order of thousands of light years and that some have suggested that GRBs are a reason why we have not seen any evidence of ETs.
    What's the logic behind that? I'm not sure I follow the connection between GRBs and lack of evidence of ETs.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar28
    What's the logic behind that? I'm not sure I follow the connection between GRBs and lack of evidence of ETs.
    Basically, if you wait around long enough, no matter where you are in a galaxy, you're going to get toasted by a GRB.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatar28
    Quote Originally Posted by harlequin

The theory is that GRB's would eventually exterminate any civilizations that arose and thus it is the reason we haven't seen evidence of ET's. It seems a rather weak hypothesis to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek

Pretty picture!
    Very pretty and quite an exciting discovery! It seems this data may also have us rethinking Type II supernovae. This article indicates that a great deal of Fe and Ni, that would normally be in the core, is found in the axial jets. This would seem to indicate that the core collapse was not symmetrical. It will be very interesting if Chandra can find more examples like this.

Go Chandra!