Thread: Debunking article - "The Irish Times" - May 2, 2002

Neat debunking article by Dr William Reville in "The Irish Times" on May 2, 2002.

URL:

http://scripts.ireland.com/search/hi...reville_a.html

A quote:

""OK", I can hear you say, but why bother with stuff like this? Isn't there always a market for small-minority crackpot views and isn't paying attention only giving them the oxygen of publicity? It turns out that the minority we are discussing is actually quite sizeable. A recent survey found that 20 per cent of US citizens expressed doubt as to whether NASA landed men on the moon. It is disturbing to think that such a significant minority believes in fairytales. If scientists can disprove the evidence for a NASA hoax, then it is important that this be done."

JJ

That's the second time I've heard the 20% figure without a citation or attribution. What study is this?

Despite my alarmingly Irish sounding name, I would like to say right now that i'm from Scotland.

Bottom line is: It's from Ireland. The only things you can trust from their are:

1. Guiness
    2. Smuggled Semtex

Despite my alarmingly Irish sounding name, I would like to say right now that i'm from Scotland.

Bottom line is: It's from Ireland. The only things you can trust from their are:

1. Guiness
    2. Smuggled Semtex

On 2002-05-05 14:33, Jim_McBrearty wrote:
    Yeah, and your favourite team is Rangers, too, isn't it? [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [Sorry, Jim, I posted this before I saw it covered in the other thread. Greenock's cool, I guess. Being a traditional no-hoper, I'm partial to Partick Thistle, myself. Following Scotland in the football World Cup is what made me a no-hoper in the first place, of course. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] ]

Well, the McEwen's 80-shilling is decent in Scotland, and a couple of other 70/80-shillings that I tried when there last, but I'll take Dublin Guinness over it every time.

Back to the discussion: quickie searches on Google for "Apollo Moon Hoax 20%" (but they didn't take the '%'), "Apollo Moon Hoax science poll" and "Apollo Moon Hoax Gallup poll"--and guess whose web site turned up #1 on all three searches? Hint: we're here already. (Fair warning, though: here's how Google does their relevancy ratings!)

Phil discredits the 20% figure already, by pointing to a '99 Gallup poll that showed 6%, but no, I can't find any source for the 20% figure itself. But, then, that poll was years ago, and inflation has obviously set in. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

The (a percentage here, a percentage there) Curtmudgeon

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Curtmudgeon on 2002-05-06 16:17 ]</font>

I think the "source" for the 20% figure is the HBers. It can't be traced back to any legitimate poll of which I'm aware (or anyone else here, apparently).

There are two possibilities:
    1) Some HBer (Kaysing?) made that estimate after querying his acquaintances;
    2) It's made-up whole cloth.

Of course, 50% of all statistics are made-up.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They dont alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Some HBs quote the Gallup results from 1999 which would not include the effects from the Fox program. But I have never seen a source for the 20% figure. I would like to.