Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded the server to 4.1.6

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    When I go to "Edit Profile" from the "Edit Profile" option under "Forum Actions" on the main page, there is an "Edit Avatar" option on the left side of the screen under "My Settings." There's also an "Edit signature" option there. Are you getting something different?
    Thanks! I never thought to look there. *sigh* (I've changed my sig, which is what I was most interested in.) Still, I find the purpose of the strange options available under "Customize Profile" not at all obvious.

Thank goodness I stumbled upon this thread.

Now I know I'm not the only one who has completely lost control.

Never in my life have I seen a better illustration of the maxim, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I can no longer check out who has replied to threads I subscribe to. I can no longer change my avatar or signature (which I believe should be changed frequently.)

In my anguish I wait for the return of the BAUT I once knew.

Click on Quick Links and then Subscriptions. I think that is a little different, but provides approximately the same function.
    Solfe

I'm not sure if it's just the browser or computer I'm currently using, but I'm finding the scroll on the "advanced" edit window to be very annoying. Essentially, if I have a post long enough that it doesn't all appear in the text window, the scroll might roll away from the area of the text I'm entering when I move the mouse. Even if I use the mouse to adjust the scroll position to show the end of the post, the mouse motion will cause it to immediately move away again. Using the scroll wheel seems to work if I avoid moving the mouse at all.

Is anyone else having this issue?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

A work around of sorts: It appears to be possible to stretch the length of the entry window, so all the text remains visible.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I don't know if this is the place to report an issue, but when I pull up my list of recent posts, I don't see any of the posts that I made today.

I hate, Hate, HATE the way the new editor handles line wrapping, I've had to stop and recheck several times if I got a space between words because it wraps at characters instead of words, checking spelling of a cut apart word is also harder because of this.

This upgrade is really a case of violating "if it ain't broke, don't break it".

And the quick editor's in-place insertion of a new post is broken with regards to avatars, the post is created with a broken link to the image.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by HenrikOlsen View Post
    This upgrade is really a case of violating "if it ain't broke, don't break it".
    Well, we (at least, I) don't know if it wasn't broken. Fraser knows that updating the forum can create hassles, I doubt he did it just for the fun of it.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Well, we (at least, I) don't know if it wasn't broken. Fraser knows that updating the forum can create hassles, I doubt he did it just for the fun of it.
    I don't think Henrik is indicting Fraser, it's those crazy engineers with a "better" way.

"Were I an engineer, I would have designed this differently." Grant Imahara while attempting to assemble a mind control device purchased off of the internet.
    Solfe

Wait a minute. Grant is an engineer:

From Wikipedia
    Imahara is a graduate of the University of Southern California, with a B.S. degree in electrical engineering.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I am missing my profile page with active threads I posted in.
    Solfe

The "what is an engineer" posts have been split off to here.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Looks like the update has resulted in something strange for the italic tag.
    Testing without italic.
    Testing with italic. The previous sentence is "Testing [I]with[/I] italic.", the "with" shows up as a hole for me, not even something to highlight with the cursor.

In case it's unique for me, this is what I see:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	italic.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	15453

Browser is Chrome.

Hmm, after closing the tab and opening the page again, it works.

OK, disregard report it's obviously a Chrome bug.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

Are the user profiles and settings down for everyone, or is it just me? When I've attempted to access these today, I just get an error message.
    So many bugs, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by ABR. View Post
    Are the user profiles and settings down for everyone, or is it just me? When I've attempted to access these today, I just get an error message.
    Nope, not just you. Just tried to check my own and several others and all give errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Nope, not just you. Just tried to check my own and several others and all give errors.
    Cool, thanks. Now if I could just get similar verification regarding those pesky voices I keep hearing....

Hmm. I can get to mine, no problem. Is it still happening for you, ABR? Swift?
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Last night I got only the error message. Now it is working.

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I got persistent errors last night, seems to be gone this morning. It said there was a database problem, and it had been reported to bautforum.

Didn't bother to get a screen shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Hmm. I can get to mine, no problem. Is it still happening for you, ABR? Swift?
    As others said, seems to be all better. One of those "24 hour" database bugs.

All appears to be back to normal for me, too.

It'll be interesting to see if it happens again tonight at roughly the same time. Should indicate if it's some new maintenance script causing problems or if it was just a freak thing that got fixed when the cloud shifted us to another server. My money's on freak thing.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by ABR. View Post
    All appears to be back to normal for me, too.
    Voices too?

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Voices too?
    They aren't saying.

Another user interface issue with the upgrade: It used to be that, if you clicked on someone's username in a thread, you would get an option to find threads they had started. That option is gone, so I googled it. I found others complaining about it at the vBulletin board. It is still possible to do a "started thread" search, but it's hidden, and instead of two steps, there are seven:

(1) Select and copy the text of the username (you can skip this step if it's easy to remember)
    (2) Click on the "Advanced Search" option.
    (3) Click on the "Search Single Content Type" tab.
    (4) Click on the dropdown that shows "Find Latest Posts by User." It has a hidden option to "Find Threads started by user."
    (5) Click on "Exact Name"
    (6) Paste or type the user name in the "User Name" field."
    (7) Click on "Search Now"

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

It is still possible to do a "started thread" search, but it's hidden, and instead of two steps, there are seven:
    What is wrong with:
    1) Click username and select View Profile
    2) Click on "Find latest started threads"

Or have I not understood what you are trying to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    What is wrong with:
    1) Click username and select View Profile
    2) Click on "Find latest started threads"

Or have I not understood what you are trying to do?
    Thanks, that works.

What's wrong with it: They changed the UI, and when I googled to find how to do it now, all I found were references to the "advanced search" method. It had apparently been removed completely when version 4 was released, then added back in.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

"Find latest started Threads" is not the same as "Find all posts by". That the difference I thought I noticed.

CJSF
    "I like the stories
    About angels, unicorns and elves
    Now I like those stories
    As much as anybody else
    But when I'm seeking knowledge
    Either simple or abstract
    The facts are with science"

-They Might Be Giants, "Science Is Real"

lonelybirder.org

Thanks, that works.

What's wrong with it: They changed the UI, and when I googled to find how to do it now, all I found were references to the "advanced search" method. It had apparently been removed completely when version 4 was released, then added back in.
    That's the trouble with free software: it is worth what you pay for it...

I hadn't noticed that the option had disappeared from the username menu - because I had never noticed it there in the first place. Odd how different people use different features, or different ways of using the same features. This is what make testing such a pain. Especially when there is no spec... (I'm assuming there is no spec because it is free software . Is that unreasonable?)