Thread: Murder Mystery Authors Who Were Murdered

Murder Mystery Authors Who Were Murdered

Can we name some murder mystery authors who were themselves murdered?

This is prompted by an article in a local paper saying that a Harry Hunsberger died over Thanksgiving weekend and that his death may be due to being assaulted with a 2x4 back in July. I think he could be the H. Edward Hunsberger who wrote several mystery novels, but I'm not sure.

Murder has been put forward as a theory in Edgar Allan Poe's death, but I don't think it's very widely accepted.

And I think "murder mystery author" is far too narrow a description of Poe, even if I found the murder theories believable.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    And I think "murder mystery author" is far too narrow a description of Poe, even if I found the murder theories believable.
    But he clearly was that among other things. Which, given the scope of the thread, is sufficient.

I have to say, this is one of the best titles I think I have ever seen for a thread on BAUT.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I have to say, this is one of the best titles I think I have ever seen for a thread on BAUT.
    Funnily enought, today one of my colleagues told me he was off to a murder mystery weekend. I told him the best advice he would ever get is: Don't write a story about a real murder taking place at such an event. Agatha Christie did this in 1935 (IIRC), and many others (including Ngaio Marsh) have followed suit many times over the years.

It's a great title indeed, but I doubt if we're going to come up with a lot of names. Murder mystery authors seem to have a tendency to die in bed, very old.

ETA: Now, murder mystery writers who were murderers...

Quote Originally Posted by tashirosgt View Post
    Can we name some murder mystery authors who were themselves murdered?

This is prompted by an article in a local paper saying that a Harry Hunsberger died over Thanksgiving weekend and that his death may be due to being assaulted with a 2x4 back in July. I think he could be the H. Edward Hunsberger who wrote several mystery novels, but I'm not sure.
    A bit of Googling indicates the author is Hunsburger, while the murder victim is Hunsberger.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    A bit of Googling indicates the author is Hunsburger, while the murder victim is Hunsberger.
    Yes, but remember this is the local newspaper! A bit of Googling also indicates that age (64) of the victim matches what some "people search" pages give for the age of Edward Hunsburger. I've never spoken to Hunsburger, but I used to see him walking around the central parts of the city. (Las Cruces, NM)

The Wikipedia article on the writer David Goodis says he died several days after being beaten while resisting a robbery. It isn't clear that this was the cause of his death.

Here's at least a mysterious death, if not a murder. I'm not familiar with the victims work.
    http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ets-manuscript

An email I received today from the reporter who wrote the story confirms that the victim was H. Edward Hunsburger. He was known locally as a writer, so I think he is the Hunsburger who wrote several murder mysteries.