Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Quote Originally Posted by Sporally View Post
    21,000 pictures, is that really the only thing it take at such a resolution? Doesn't really sound like a global coverage to me, but i guess i was wrong. Mary Odyssey, i guess we're talking infrared pictures then. Are there any downsides in using infrared? I guess the upsides are that you can easier see through the dust... amongst others.
    Depends how big the pictures are.

I know, but was just surpriced that this spacecraft would take so big pictures...

From Laboratory Equipment magazine

A NASA spacecraft is providing new evidence of a wet underground environment on Mars that adds to an increasingly complex picture of the Red Planet's early evolution.

The new information comes from researchers analyzing spectrometer data from NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, which looked down on the floor of McLaughlin Crater. The Martian crater is 57 miles (92 kilometers) in diameter and 1.4 miles (2.2 kilometers) deep. McLaughlin's depth apparently once allowed underground water, which otherwise would have stayed hidden, to flow into the crater's interior.

Layered, flat rocks at the bottom of the crater contain carbonate and clay minerals that form in the presence of water. McLaughlin lacks large inflow channels, and small channels originating within the crater wall end near a level that could have marked the surface of a lake.

Together, these new observations suggest the formation of the carbonates and clay in a groundwater-fed lake within the closed basin of the crater. Some researchers propose the crater interior catching the water and the underground zone contributing the water could have been wet environments and potential habitats. The findings are published in the online edition of Nature Geoscience.

"Taken together, the observations in McLaughlin Crater provide the best evidence for carbonate forming within a lake environment instead of being washed into a crater from outside," says Joseph Michalski, lead author of the paper, which has five co-authors. Michalski also is affiliated with the Planetary Science Institute in Tucson, Ariz., and London's Natural History Museum.
    Cool that they could determine this from orbit.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Indeed! Thank you for the info.

Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO)

I did a search but could not find a existing thread for Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO).

News today was they released over a 1000 new images of Mars by Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO).

http://www.popsci.com/nasa-released-...s-mars-surface

The MRO sends back photos of Mars every month, but this month's dispatch of 1,035 photos is unique. It's especially hefty because every 26 months, the geometry of Earth and Mars offer a sweet spot for data return, director of the Planetary Image Research Laboratory, Alfred McEwen told Popular Science: During opposition — as Mars and the Sun are on opposite sides of Earth's sky, this year on May 22 — we get unobstructed communications between Mars and Earth for a few weeks.

This time, that direct line of sight between Mars and Earth coincides with Mars' equinox, when the sun shines directly on the planet's equator, splashing light from north pole to south and giving the MRO its most complete views of the red planet. For the rest of the year, either the north or south pole is in constant darkness.

The MRO's images could help map potential landing sites for future landers, notes McEwen, such as the ExoMars demonstration module in a few months, the InSight lander in two years, and the ExoMars and NASA rovers set to launch in 2020. The MRO is also keeping an eye on the active processes on the surface, including steep slope flows, migrating sand dunes, dry ice jets in the polar regions and new impact events, he says.

Here are some of the most striking and significant photos to come out of this new release. Click through each name to find more information and a higher resolution version, and see the entire collection here.

Great stuff. Go MRO!
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

I surprised we didn't have an MRO thread, but nice set of images.

That's weird. There are some posts and split-off threads that reference an MRO thread... I remember one being here... ??

CJSF
    "There has been a spacecraft sighted, flying high above the sky! Sirens declare there's one among us from Venus!
    Volunteers! We need volunteers! Soldiers to meet them. Have no fear! Have no fear! You will be killed right away."
    -They Might Be Giants, "For Science"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    That's weird. There are some posts and split-off threads that reference an MRO thread... I remember one being here... ??

CJSF
    And I've now merged them together.

Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter

Could not find a thread dedicated to this great mission. Created this new thread so I could share this 4 and a half minute video of a three-dimensional overhead view of the Red Planet. Enjoy.

https://www.spaceanswers.com/solar-s...itch-together/

Finnish filmmaker Jan Fröjdman transformed Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter imagery into a three-dimensional overhead view of the Red Planet

"There has been a spacecraft sighted, flying high above the sky! Sirens declare there's one among us from Venus!
    Volunteers! We need volunteers! Soldiers to meet them. Have no fear! Have no fear! You will be killed right away."

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    And I've now merged them together.
    Deja vu all over again.

Thanks CJSF. This is the 2nd time I could not find this thread. Did use the full name as the search would not work with just MRO 🤔

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I used "brute force" and started paging through the threads in this forum. I figured it would likely be in the first several, given the chronology as I remember it. It was still a bit further back than I initially thought.

It's a shame we can't keep up with this (and all the great missions) more often. MRO is still doing great science and PR work. Since Emily's hiatus (or sabbatical, or whatever) from her Planetary Society blog, I feel like I miss a lot.

CJSF

lonelybirder.org

It's a shame we can't keep up with this (and all the great missions) more often. MRO is still doing great science and PR work. Since Emily's hiatus (or sabbatical, or whatever) from her Planetary Society blog, I feel like I miss a lot.

CJSF
    Agree with missing Emily's monthly updates. As a consolation below is a link to March's Olaf Frohn's chart.

http://www.planetary.org/multimedia/...tem-frohn.html

A diagram, updated once a month, of active space missions traveling beyond Earth orbit. Contains links to past diagrams.

Olaf Frohn

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Thanks CJSF. This is the 2nd time I could not find this thread. Did use the full name as the search would not work with just MRO 樂

Were you using the forum search function? It's pretty much notorious for not being able to find anything. Going to Google and typing "Cosmoquest Forum MRO" returns multiple results.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Were you using the forum search function? It's pretty much notorious for not being able to find anything. Going to Google and typing "Cosmoquest Forum MRO" returns multiple results.
    I was using the forum search function and it did give me 9 pages. None of them had MRO.😑

I was using the forum search function and it did give me 9 pages. None of them had MRO.

Yeah, that's pretty typical. Use Google.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty typical. Use Google.
    Thanks

I was using the forum search function and it did give me 9 pages. None of them had MRO.��

I find it's easier to search through my subscribed posts rather than do a site-wide search.

Tangentially related to MRO
    https://eos.org/meeting-reports/mars...-collaboration
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.