Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NSA Death Star Fully Operational Soon.

NSA Death Star Fully Operational Soon.

Cheerful news:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...tacenter/all/1

Out in the Utah desert, the NSA's electronic spy center Death Star will be fully operational in Sept of 2013. (Why oh why, couldn't it have been Dec 21st, 2012 -- cost overruns and delays, I'm sure). They've been able to gather just about every bit of communication that is released into the ether for a few years now but the problem was there was so much data, they couldn't handle it all. Well, this solves that problem. A Yottabyte (10^24) of data. Petaflops of processing capacity. Exaflops by 2018. And she's gonna pull 65MW load.

They can break AES with that thing now, I'm sure. Every move you make, every breath you take, they'll be watching you.

Note the part about the "intercept stations". These are located at the major communications hubs all over the country. And in Sept 2013, they'll have the ability to process it all.

The only reason encryption levels are used where they are is that there's no need to put more processing into a secure thing. Especially if something is temporary, if there's not enough time to crunch the numbers, the level doesn't have to be as high. As things change, so does encryption technology.

They want to comb through the internet and find relevant things? Good luck to them, that's the biggest struggle with using the internet, is getting past the crap.

Well, all this means is that people/spies will have to start using stronger encryption and/or codes if they use computer/phone-based communications. If people/spies use face-to-face talking, dead drops, mail, courier, or international trade then the NSA won't be able to hear it. For all the money, glam and high tech wizardry, it sounds like it's more of a deterrent to smarter spies but might catch some dumb ones.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Thank God I already sold the story before this came out. Cashed the check today.

NSA No Such Agency. Of course, that big building at the junction of Maryland 295 and 32 is a bit hard to hide.

We could email each other large files of random bits for them to try to decrypt and see if it draws any personal visits.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    We could email each other large files of random bits for them to try to decrypt and see if it draws any personal visits.
    Why bother sending large amounts of encrypted data to anyone. Just assign assumptions of consern a cold ward, prhps with miss pellings. And then Martha will make apple pie for the town picnic at the park on Earth Day while the Mayer barbecues hot dawgs on the grill he bought at Ace because he didn't like the won Frumm Walmart because it wuz overprized at $39.92 instead of 29.94. Say wut?

Send a recipe for shepherd' pie including critical mass, polonium initiator and shaped charges.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    Send a recipe for shepherd' pie including critical mass, polonium initiator and shaped charges.
    Hey, you just got flagged by the NSA!

Waitaminute, I just responded to it... now I just got flagged too!

Steganography and codes have in every war been superior to "only" encryption. If the "enemy" knows there *is* an encrypted message, they already know too much.

The operation will, of course, be subcontracted out to the RIAA and MPAA, so they can chase down people quoting song lyrics.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Or it may be yet another overfunded government project that doesn't actually do anything.

We could always fly along that little trench and fire at that exhaust port.

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The beauty of such an enterprise is that if you look hard enough at everything you will eventually find patterns, whether they correspond to the real or not.

God is replaced by a zippobyte processor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensor View Post
    NSA No Such Agency. Of course, that big building at the junction of Maryland 295 and 32 is a bit hard to hide.
    They're a lot more upfront than they used to be back in the 1980's when I'd go to vendor classes with people who could only identify their employer as "DoD". ("Fort Meade?" "Um, yeah.") They admit the NSA exists and even have a museum now.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by mike alexander View Post
    The beauty of such an enterprise is that if you look hard enough at everything you will eventually find patterns, whether they correspond to the real or not.
    Well, obviously, all of us who feel a duty to liberty should start sending out massive numbers of emails with suspicious phrases in them and see if we can overwhelm the system.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Why didn't they go with Skynet.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

When I was in the Army in the early '70s, we had an ASA (Army branch of the NSA) station on our (overseas) post. It was isolated on the other side of the airfield, with its own gym, PX, and everything. I was a payroll clerk, and got to process the incoming ASA guys. All the other troops went through a central processing station, but the ASA guys came direct to me. They weren't allowed to say what they did, of course, but given the huge antenna farm over there and the fact that they'd all spent the past six months or so attending various language schools, it wasn't hard to figure out.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Well, obviously, all of us who feel a duty to liberty should start sending out massive numbers of emails with suspicious phrases in them and see if we can overwhelm the system.
    Part of the reason of this facility is to keep that from happening.

Besides, you should say hi to the NSA dudes every now and then just to be nice. Analysis can be boring, especially if you just listened to the 87th conversation about getting milk from the store in the last hour....

Between Facebook and Youtube, you have to admire their ability to not go insane.

Quote Originally Posted by korjik View Post

Besides, you should say hi to the NSA dudes every now and then just to be nice. Analysis can be boring, especially if you just listened to the 87th conversation about getting milk from the store in the last hour....

Facebook will drive them nuts.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

They're a lot more upfront than they used to be back in the 1980's when I'd go to vendor classes with people who could only identify their employer as "DoD".
    I had a job in the 1980s that interacted with folks from several three-letter agencies. A standing joke was that you could decode any attendee list as follows:

Department of Defense = NSA
    Department of Justice = FBI
    Department of State = CIA

BTW: The lunchroom at Ft Meade had a coffee machine that delivered coffee in paper cups with poker hands printed on them. (I think it was poker. Several cards were printed on the cup, with the last card printed on the bottom. Anybody remember those?) The "locals" would bet against visitors and always win.

The NSA guys had figured out the algorithm the printer used to make the cups, and knew what was printed on the bottom of your cup. They only (potentially) lost if there was a discontinuity, such as the start of a new sleeve of cups.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by korjik View Post

Hi.

We should all pick a name to call them by when we're playing cat and mouse on the phone/internet. How about Bob or Shirley?

In all the crypto examples, it's always Alice and Bob sending each other messages. So in honor of that, just call them Alice and Bob.

I don't think the system can be overwhelmed. As we were discussing in that other thread, we're creating a turnkey Borg system. Resistance will be futile. We will be assimilated

Quote Originally Posted by Heid the Ba' View Post
    Or it may be yet another overfunded government project that doesn't actually do anything.
    Alas, it will probably involve sending men in grey suits to harass people who make snarky comments about CEOs. Or who quote song lyrics. Tra-la-la.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Seeing that the NSA's true raison d'etre seems to be international industrial espionage to benefit the friends of the politicians aka the usual suspects, the "doesn't do anything" is probably a rather large underestimation.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

They're a lot more upfront than they used to be back in the 1980's when I'd go to vendor classes with people who could only identify their employer as "DoD". ("Fort Meade?" "Um, yeah.") They admit the NSA exists and even have a museum now.
    Yeah, I was being a bit facetious. They even let you know what exits to take now. Which, if they had done it earlier, would have probably saved people the trouble of getting off on the wrong exit.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckmeister View Post
    Facebook will drive them nuts.
    Just the opposite. Facebook is self-analyzing data. I know what I could do with that sort of data, and I barely qualified for NSA goon (Army SIGINT analyst). It is bad enough that people can be tracked close to 24-7 with just common off the shelf tech, but to train them to volunteer the information is just creepy.

Maybe my opinion is a bit CT nut, but hey everyone is entitled to be a little nutty about something.

YouTube comments on the other hand...

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain