Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you scientifically literate quiz

Are you scientifically literate quiz

From the Christian Science Monitor
    50 questions, and a good balance among chemistry, biology, planetary science, physics

I got 47 out of 50 right. Can I keep my degree?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    From the Christian Science Monitor
    50 questions, and a good balance among chemistry, biology, planetary science, physics

I got 47 out of 50 right. Can I keep my degree?
    Yes.

So can I. (I got 49/50)
    Last edited by swampyankee; 2012-Apr-21 at 11:10 AM. Reason: added hidden score report
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Dang, only got 46. The test, I must say, got a little tedious.

I noticed two different questions, age of the Earth and age of the universe, had 6000 years as possible answers. Now I'm going to go look at the comments to see how many YEC's claimed that as correct.

ETA: Godwinning started in about the third page of comments, at which point I lost interest.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

So far so good, but the format is annoying. Having to click, twice, and wait for it to load, twice, for each question is bad web design in my opinion. If it was 5-10 question, sure, but 50?
    Going to be here a while.
    40 out of 50, not the greatest I suppose. I really should have known some of them, but I second guessed myself, but others I only got on a practical fluke, so it evens out.
    Last edited by ravens_cry; 2012-Apr-21 at 05:32 AM.

Ah, chemistry and biology did me in - again. Only 37 out of the 50. And yes, the format is very irritating.

To my eternal shame, I answered only 36 out of 50 correctly.

39 correct. Lucky I am but a janitor.

45 out of 50 Not to put people to shame, but my degrees and minors are more social sciences / business oriented (history, geography, finance, with plenty of economics and urban planning courses). To be fair, I was raised to firmly appreciate science. In fact, I might have majored in one were my talent in post-arithmetic mathematics a lot stronger (I can do college / high school algebra, but nothing beyond that).

42 for me.
    I'm Not Evil.
    An evil person would do the things that pop into my head.

That's a good quiz, I thought. No stupid questions.

Quite a good quiz. Had to think hard about some of those. My poor knowledge of clouds and 18th century units of measurement let me down at the last moment.

48/50 - so if I had a degree I could keep it?

Who wants to write the poll question about the cutoff score for keeping ones degree in science or engineering?

I don't.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Do I have the record for lowest score on BAUT? 32/50. Though it should have been 34 or 35 as there were a few I knew, and inexplicably chose the wrong answer anyway.

But I'm pretty happy with a 32 even, considering I haven't had a science class in over a decade, and then it was just high school level stuff.

Even more shamefully I gave up after getting sick of all those stupidly re-displayed screens on my slow connection.. And I was probably heading for a score in the 30's too - I was going perfectly up until it got to some relating to physiology/biology - not my strong suit at all (unless you ask me about marine life..).

Ah well, its the Interweb, so I'll just go and find another test that gives me a higher score - hey, I seem to get *really* high scores on quizzes that have even more advertising than that one...

I had 100% until half way through when I flunked an astronomy question. I was so mortified I had a break and then lost the internet connection in the meantime. I also had to move the whole thing sideways on my computer screen to lose the irritating advertising. I can't face starting again.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Quite a good quiz. Had to think hard about some of those. My poor knowledge of clouds and 18th century units of measurement let me down at the last moment.

48/50 - so if I had a degree I could keep it?
    49, ditto the cloud thing. Their answer is over simplified (yeah, I know, sour grapes )

My impression overall was that it was a literacy quiz, which happened to be about science. For instance, there were questions that you could answer based solely on knowledge of Latin alone, because the question mentions the Latin derivation of the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
    I had 100% until half way through when I flunked an astronomy question. I was so mortified I had a break and then lost the internet connection in the meantime. I also had to move the whole thing sideways on my computer screen to lose the irritating advertising. I can't face starting again.
    Do you use Internet Explorer? Good browsers have ad-blocking available

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    For instance, there were questions that you could answer based solely on knowledge of Latin alone, because the question mentions the Latin derivation of the answer.
    I only noticed a couple of Greek ones (I didn't know the answers, but I knew the Greek), but I haven't done the second half yet.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Do you use Internet Explorer? Good browsers have ad-blocking available
    Yes, I do, and I didn't know that. Could you advise? (but not wanting to derail the thread)

I only noticed a couple of Greek ones (I didn't know the answers, but I knew the Greek), but I haven't done the second half yet.
    I think there are seven where a knowledge of Greek (or Greek mythology) will help guess or confirm the answer. Not that I know any Greek, but I was able to reverse engineer from some other Greek-derived words.

42, at least i got the answer to life, the universe and everything
    But also eternal shame for having Io and those other moons orbit saturn

Yes, I do, and I didn't know that. Could you advise? (but not wanting to derail the thread)
    Try firefox with its ad-block, WOT and NoScript plugins.

Quote Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
    But also eternal shame for having Io and those other moons orbit saturn
    I think the astronomy ones were the ones I had to think hardest about.

I think the astronomy ones were the ones I had to think hardest about.
    In general astronomy went well for me, it was the periodic table that got me most. On that specific question my thinking was "a bunch of well known moons, that's either jupiter or saturn so i'll just quickly pick one or i'll be sitting at this quiz for half an hour".

The bad thing of course is that those were the moons Galileo observed so that's something i should have immediately known (even if only in terms of the history of science).

24. 2012-Apr-21, 02:50 PM

49 out of 50. Not bad, I have to say, for someone with no post-highcschool scientific training.

The one that got me was the "-nimbus" suffix. I immediately thought "cumulonumbus" and clicked "Vertically developed", then slapped my head.

I have to say, not to bring up religion or anything, but I find it funny that a publication called "The Christian Science Monitor" would design two questions specifically to annoy young-Earth creationists.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    I have to say, not to bring up religion or anything, but I find it funny that a publication called "The Christian Science Monitor" would design two questions specifically to annoy young-Earth creationists.
    I don't know much about Christian Science but they are not the sort to take the bible completely literally; their philosophy seems more akin to something like Taoism or Buddhism. They don't have a problem with science even if they might think the material world is an illusion (presumably it is a consistent illusion amenable to scientific investigation).

The one that got me was the "-nimbus" suffix. I immediately thought "cumulonumbus" and clicked "Vertically developed", then slapped my head.
    Spoiler Alert!

That one got me too.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    49 out of 50. Not bad, I have to say, for someone with no post-highcschool scientific training.

The YEC crowd probably doesn't think to highly of the Church or Vatican Observatory, either. I don't find any contradiction between a publication with "Christian" in its title considering YEC and ID invalid as scientific theories.

Spoiler Alert!

That one got me too.
    Their correct answer was, "It is precipitating," which is not strictly true. But enough about my problems...

Anyone know what 0.567... is? At first glance, I thought we had a rare appearance of the Euler-Mascheroni constant, but no...

I just assumed it was the numbers 5 6 and 7 in a row.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

I was 21/21 when I clicked the wrong part of the screen and lost the test. dammed if I will trudge through it again..Is it just me, or is does that website jump all over hell on everybodies computer?
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.” ― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

49/50.

My biggest complaint other than the tedious nature of this test is that many of the questions (including the one that I missed) have more to do with the knowledge of history than the understanding of scientific concepts.