Thread: Star Wars Empire of Dreams

Star Wars Empire of Dreams

Being a nerd I watched the whole thing and dragged my SO into watch as well.

No real BA in it (any more than the movies anyway) but a common theme in the show was how much Star Wars had changed the movie industry. It really was quite interesting from that aspect. Quite good if anyone wants my recommendation.

Edit: In the US it is on A&E

I saw the first half. Its a prety good documentry. A little too much of a ego trip in my opinion, but otherwise i really enjoyed the inside information and interviews.

Since it's on A&E, the time-slot will be at least one-third ads. So we taped it.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Well - I've watched most all of it (not sequentially, it's being aired at least three times), I'm taping it for reference, and I believe it will be included on the Trilogy DVD that's coming out soon. I won't comment on the format or specifics of the show, but -

The really fascinating aspect is Star Wars as a cultural phenomonon. I've said for years that Star Wars could not have been made at any other time; that it would have been something entirely different - or not made at all. It was like the country was holding it's breath, from Kennedy's assasination - through the 60's and the "counterculture" - inflation - the Vietnam War - and when things began to resolve, there was "Star Wars" - literally "A New Hope", and we began to breathe again...

Quote Originally Posted by dogman

The really fascinating aspect is Star Wars as a cultural phenomonon. I've said for years that Star Wars could not have been made at any other time; that it would have been something entirely different - or not made at all. It was like the country was holding it's breath, from Kennedy's assasination - through the 60's and the "counterculture" - inflation - the Vietnam War - and when things began to resolve, there was "Star Wars" - literally "A New Hope", and we began to breathe again...
    Not ot ruin it for you but they say that exact thing in the documentary. The outtakes where the best though. I really died laughing. That and the casting calls where funny too.

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but they showed the original opening from the first Star Wars movie. I call it the first movie because there was no line declaring "Episode IV : A New Hope".

Rob

Star Wars... bleah... I'd like to have the original trilogy (the NON special edition) on DVD, but George won't give it to me, so :P

On the plus side, the special edition of THX-1138 is coming soon, and supposedly the additions and enhancements actually add and enhance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGalaxyTrio
    Star Wars... bleah... I'd like to have the original trilogy (the NON special edition) on DVD, but George won't give it to me, so :P

On the plus side, the special edition of THX-1138 is coming soon, and supposedly the additions and enhancements actually add and enhance.
    It's airing locally (Washington, DC) at the American Film Institute right now.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by tuffel999
    The outtakes where the best though. I really died laughing. That and the casting calls where funny too.
    How about what's her name from Laverne and Shirley as Princess Leia
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffel999
    The outtakes where the best though. I really died laughing. That and the casting calls where funny too.
    How about what's her name from Laverne and Shirley as Princess Leia
    God those where horrible casting calls.............. #-o

Quote Originally Posted by TheGalaxyTrio

I have them as NON special edition, NON THX enhanched on old VHS tapes... Anyway, I bought them again at a later stage AFTER the THX enhanchements and suddenly I could see the joints int the Ewok costumes. :P

Speaking of THX, anyone else here get a kick out of their proclamation at the beginning of any THX movie??? I tell ya, that ascending/descending single harmonic chord, starting from the front of your 5.1 surround sound theater system and working its way around to the back speakers while cresenting to full volume. . . Man, it gets me every time!!! =D>

Quote Originally Posted by Wally
    Speaking of THX, anyone else here get a kick out of their proclamation at the beginning of any THX movie??? I tell ya, that ascending/descending single harmonic chord, starting from the front of your 5.1 surround sound theater system and working its way around to the back speakers while cresenting to full volume. . . Man, it gets me every time!!! =D>
    Yep, that's cool.
    There is also one I remember where they had a little kids toy, a metal box that when you turned it over it went "moo" (like a cow), then the animation guy plugs it into the THX and it goes
    MOO
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules