Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Star Wars Empire of Dreams

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    783

    Star Wars Empire of Dreams

    Being a nerd I watched the whole thing and dragged my SO into watch as well.

    No real BA in it (any more than the movies anyway) but a common theme in the show was how much Star Wars had changed the movie industry. It really was quite interesting from that aspect. Quite good if anyone wants my recommendation.

    Edit: In the US it is on A&E

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    3,284
    I saw the first half. Its a prety good documentry. A little too much of a ego trip in my opinion, but otherwise i really enjoyed the inside information and interviews.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    30,072
    Since it's on A&E, the time-slot will be at least one-third ads. So we taped it.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    113
    Well - I've watched most all of it (not sequentially, it's being aired at least three times), I'm taping it for reference, and I believe it will be included on the Trilogy DVD that's coming out soon. I won't comment on the format or specifics of the show, but -

    The really fascinating aspect is Star Wars as a cultural phenomonon. I've said for years that Star Wars could not have been made at any other time; that it would have been something entirely different - or not made at all. It was like the country was holding it's breath, from Kennedy's assasination - through the 60's and the "counterculture" - inflation - the Vietnam War - and when things began to resolve, there was "Star Wars" - literally "A New Hope", and we began to breathe again...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by dogman

    The really fascinating aspect is Star Wars as a cultural phenomonon. I've said for years that Star Wars could not have been made at any other time; that it would have been something entirely different - or not made at all. It was like the country was holding it's breath, from Kennedy's assasination - through the 60's and the "counterculture" - inflation - the Vietnam War - and when things began to resolve, there was "Star Wars" - literally "A New Hope", and we began to breathe again...
    Not ot ruin it for you but they say that exact thing in the documentary. The outtakes where the best though. I really died laughing. That and the casting calls where funny too.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    621
    I don't know if anyone else noticed, but they showed the original opening from the first Star Wars movie. I call it the first movie because there was no line declaring "Episode IV : A New Hope".

    Rob

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    380
    Star Wars... bleah... I'd like to have the original trilogy (the NON special edition) on DVD, but George won't give it to me, so :P

    On the plus side, the special edition of THX-1138 is coming soon, and supposedly the additions and enhancements actually add and enhance.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    30,072
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGalaxyTrio
    Star Wars... bleah... I'd like to have the original trilogy (the NON special edition) on DVD, but George won't give it to me, so :P

    On the plus side, the special edition of THX-1138 is coming soon, and supposedly the additions and enhancements actually add and enhance.
    It's airing locally (Washington, DC) at the American Film Institute right now.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,472
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffel999
    The outtakes where the best though. I really died laughing. That and the casting calls where funny too.
    How about what's her name from Laverne and Shirley as Princess Leia
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    783
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffel999
    The outtakes where the best though. I really died laughing. That and the casting calls where funny too.
    How about what's her name from Laverne and Shirley as Princess Leia
    God those where horrible casting calls.............. #-o

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGalaxyTrio
    Star Wars... bleah... I'd like to have the original trilogy (the NON special edition) on DVD, but George won't give it to me, so :P

    On the plus side, the special edition of THX-1138 is coming soon, and supposedly the additions and enhancements actually add and enhance.
    I have them as NON special edition, NON THX enhanched on old VHS tapes... Anyway, I bought them again at a later stage AFTER the THX enhanchements and suddenly I could see the joints int the Ewok costumes. :P

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    1,078
    Speaking of THX, anyone else here get a kick out of their proclamation at the beginning of any THX movie??? I tell ya, that ascending/descending single harmonic chord, starting from the front of your 5.1 surround sound theater system and working its way around to the back speakers while cresenting to full volume. . . Man, it gets me every time!!! =D>

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally
    Speaking of THX, anyone else here get a kick out of their proclamation at the beginning of any THX movie??? I tell ya, that ascending/descending single harmonic chord, starting from the front of your 5.1 surround sound theater system and working its way around to the back speakers while cresenting to full volume. . . Man, it gets me every time!!! =D>
    Yep, that's cool.
    There is also one I remember where they had a little kids toy, a metal box that when you turned it over it went "moo" (like a cow), then the animation guy plugs it into the THX and it goes
    MOO
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

Similar Threads

  1. The Irken Empire (Invader Zim) Versus the Galactic Empire (Star Wars)
    By Invader Zim in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2010-Mar-13, 10:41 AM
  2. The Covenant (from Halo) vs The Empire (From Star Wars)
    By Dark Helmet in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 430
    Last Post: 2009-Sep-25, 09:31 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2008-Dec-20, 03:10 AM
  4. Star Dreams
    By Andromeda321 in forum Astronomy
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-13, 07:31 AM
  5. Star Trek, Star Wars and cloaking devices
    By Jediblade in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 401
    Last Post: 2003-Dec-21, 09:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •