Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 288

Thread: When you just *have* to make a joke

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,188

    When you just *have* to make a joke

    If you just have to make a joke, but fear that it would be disruptive to the original thread, you can post it here. Make sure to include enough context, or, if you have to, explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    The toes are of the ideal dimensions for brown recluse (or, any other "favorite" tiny aggressor) nests. The fingers of gloves are too long/floppy or not as accessible. Same reason that they are so often found at the bottom of demitasse cups.
    That was a glove finger? I thought that was how espresso was supposed to taste.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,716
    Since you've provided this handy thread...

    There's a thread in Science and Technology titled "Jobs in 200 years".

    My first reaction was "Like General Francisco Franco, he'll still be dead."
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Posts
    4,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Since you've provided this handy thread...

    There's a thread in Science and Technology titled "Jobs in 200 years".

    My first reaction was "Like General Francisco Franco, he'll still be dead."
    Now I'm going to start hearing the voice of Chevy Chase as I read your posts.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,794
    Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    If you just have to make a joke, but fear that it would be disruptive to the original thread, you can post it here. Make sure to include enough context, or, if you have to, explanation.
    That was a glove finger? I thought that was just the way espresso was supposed to taste.
    Disrupt a thread? No way, that would be sour Grapes!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Since you've provided this handy thread...

    There's a thread in Science and Technology titled "Jobs in 200 years".

    My first reaction was "Like General Francisco Franco, he'll still be dead."
    Perfect!

    A link to the thread:
    http://www.bautforum.com/showthread....s-in-200-years

    Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Disrupt a thread? No way, that would be sour Grapes!
    You're missing a comma! I can see I'm going to need a bigger thread.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    7
    This system has the added benefit that it will be easier to identify jokes. Some of them, it's pretty hard to tell.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,985
    Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    This system has the added benefit that it will be easier to identify jokes. Some of them, it's pretty hard to tell.
    sometimes, that's a part of the joke.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,486
    What do we do, say in the original thread, "Go here and read my witty remark about this"? That could be even more disruptive but if we don't do that, the humor of the moment isn't seen by the posters you wanted to see it.

    One lighthearted comment in an otherwise serious thread isn't usually harmful to the discussion but often it seems like 10 other people have to chime in with their own witty follow-up which then derails the original train of thought.

    I think I'll just continue allowing BAUT to suppress my goofy sense of humor and keep most of my wisecracks to myself.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,188
    Quote Originally Posted by StratMaster View Post
    This system has the added benefit that it will be easier to identify jokes. Some of them, it's pretty hard to tell.
    *ba-da-boom*
    Quote Originally Posted by Luckmeister View Post
    I think I'll just continue allowing BAUT to suppress my goofy sense of humor and keep most of my wisecracks to myself.
    OK, but some of us have less self-control!

    To be sure, as I said in the OP, this is for possibly disruptive posts. Continue posting appropriate posts, to appropriate threads. How bad does it have to be? Well, if I hadn't made the joke in the OP, I would've gone back and changed the other post. I dunno if that helps.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,266
    I think I'll continue to put appropriate jokes in their appropriate threads, without trying to derail the thread in question. Context is key to most jokes and this is entirely too complicated. If my fellow mods have a problem with that, they can infract me.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    If my fellow mods have a problem with that, they can infract me.
    A mod infracting another mod? Has it ever happened?
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I think I'll continue to put appropriate jokes in their appropriate threads, without trying to derail the thread in question. Context is key to most jokes and this is entirely too complicated. If my fellow mods have a problem with that, they can infract me.
    Unless it's about otters.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,794
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Unless it's about otters.
    Humph. Otter nonsense.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    45
    In the thread concerning Jerry's Electric Leaf problem with its mystery mileage estimator, my thought was

    The software must have been written by the guy who wrote the Microsoft download/copy time estimator

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    15,560
    A friend of mine flies a Cessna airplane. Once, while doing a 60° turn, his steering column broke right off. At that moment, he just *had* to make a yoke.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,486
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    A friend of mine flies a Cessna airplane. Once, while doing a 60° turn, his steering column broke right off. At that moment, he just *had* to make a yoke.
    "There are powers in this universe beyond anything you know. There is much you have to learn. Go to your homes. Go and give thought to the mysteries of the universe. I will leave you now, in peace." --Galaxy Being

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,303
    Ok, here's a groaner I just made up, though probably someone else has already done it.

    Two empty bottles of wine walk up to a bar, but the bouncer stops them.
    "I'm sorry, but I can't let you in."
    "Why not?" asks one of the bottles.
    "Because," the bouncer replies,
    "You're already drunk."

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,985

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    10,266
    Don't jokes have to be funny? That leaves out anything I'll ever write.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

    How do things fly? This explains it all.

    Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,303
    Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    Don't jokes have to be funny? That leaves out anything I'll ever write.
    That hasn't stopped the rest of us.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    a long way away
    Posts
    10,799
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    note: pi * 104
    That would make you pi-man

    (bad joke; Jens might get it but (sensibly) probably isn't following the "lost thread" thread)

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Posts
    4,552
    I really don't want to derail the Name Change thread, so:

    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Let's make sure we get it right...

    I, for one, welcome our new CQ overlords.



    (what do you mean I'm one of the overlords?)
    "One of" the overloads? At >pi*104 posts, you're *the* overlord. I'm waiting for you and ToSeek to fight to the death. I'll provide the music as soon as I find my Star Trek CD.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Depew, NY
    Posts
    11,885
    I think the Impending Forum Name Change thread is humorless for a reason, but several posts have been regarding the response to critics of NASA now that the forum will be linked to actual science. The answer is obvious to me, we need a standard moderator response form letter.

    "Dear <insert name here>,

    After reading your post,
    Chuck Norris
    Nyan Cat
    The Moderation Team
    BigDon
    Gillianren
    other:_____________________
    (circle one)

    has concerns about your
    attitude
    tone
    style
    logic
    educational level
    grammar
    over/under (circle one) use of capitals/punctuation/apostrophes (circle one)
    dental hygiene
    other:_____________________
    (circle one)

    The concerned party will be visiting you in person to correct these issues. If you have any questions about this FREE courtesy visit, please refer to our FAQ.

    Thank you in advance,
    The Moderation Team"
    Solfe

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I think the Impending Forum Name Change thread is humorless for a reason, but several posts have been regarding the response to critics of NASA now that the forum will be linked to actual science. The answer is obvious to me, we need a standard moderator response form letter.

    "Dear <insert name here>,

    After reading your post,
    Chuck Norris
    Nyan Cat
    The Moderation Team
    BigDon
    Gillianren
    other:_____________________
    (circle one)

    has concerns about your
    attitude
    tone
    style
    logic
    educational level
    grammar
    over/under (circle one) use of capitals/punctuation/apostrophes (circle one)
    dental hygiene
    other:_____________________
    (circle one)

    The concerned party will be visiting you in person to correct these issues. If you have any questions about this FREE courtesy visit, please refer to our FAQ.

    Thank you in advance,
    The Moderation Team"
    Scary thing is that most combinations of those could apply to me.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

  25. #25
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    of Greatest Eclipse, Aug. 21 2017 (Kentucky, USA)
    Posts
    4,552
    You need a crank as one of the people listed, Solfe.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Dax View Post
    You need a crank as one of the people listed, Solfe.
    The whole Moderation Team is cranky, so that's covered.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,897
    In the index, right below this topic, I read:

    When and Where is the Milky Way

    Now, I don't really want to say, "How the heck can you lose something that big????", but it seems unavoidable. Thanks for this outlet.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    The beautiful north coast (Ohio)
    Posts
    49,266
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    In the index, right below this topic, I read:

    When and Where is the Milky Way

    Now, I don't really want to say, "How the heck can you lose something that big????", but it seems unavoidable. Thanks for this outlet.
    I had similar thoughts. I also liked the "when" part, as it seemed a particularly strange question, until you read the thread (when is it observable).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

    All moderation in purple - The rules

  29. #29
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    8,188
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    In the index, right below this topic, I read:

    When and Where is the Milky Way

    Now, I don't really want to say, "How the heck can you lose something that big????", but it seems unavoidable. Thanks for this outlet.
    You're welcome! Exactly what I envisioned this thread might become.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    The whole Moderation Team is cranky, so that's covered.
    No, never would think that the moderation team would be cranky at all.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Similar Threads

  1. Pi joke
    By Palomar in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2007-Jun-24, 07:02 PM
  2. Somebody please appreciate this joke...
    By snarkophilus in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 2006-Apr-25, 02:16 AM
  3. This is a joke, right?
    By 2001Intrepid in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-30, 12:06 AM
  4. This is a joke right
    By skywatcher in forum Against the Mainstream
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 2003-Jun-08, 04:00 AM
  5. A joke....... right?
    By BigJim in forum Conspiracy Theories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2003-Apr-21, 06:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •