Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: When you just *have* to make a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Thanks. I was somewhat aware of that.

Well, yeah, it wouldn't be a joke if you didn't.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Freezing in refrigerator

Okay, log out of here and phone someone who can help you get out!

In another thread Van Rijn told an anecdote about seeing a UFO. Turns out the story had a mundane explanation that evokes the famous joke, "Of course the aliens were friendly, they told me to have a Good Year!"

(This joke may not be familiar to non USians, there's an aircraft here called the Goodyear Blimp, which often makes appearances at televised events.)

Iím an American and I donít recall ever hearing that joke. Makes sense, though. It really does look different from regular aircraft especially at night when you canít see much aside from lights. I even once was referred to a YouTube video where someone was showing camera video of an object he thought was pretty amazing. Of course most of the comments pointed out it was a blimp, just a bit distant so it didnít show extreme detail. Still obvious, though, from motion and the way lights changed, if youíre familiar with it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

From a conversation on cosmic rays in another thread:

Pretty much all detectors use a silicone to water correction to simulate the impact on human tissue.
    That'd be silicon, I think, unless they've found a new use for breast implants.
    "Pardon me, ma'am, I'm just checking for radiation!"

I'm amused that the LiS thread "What do you think is the most likely explanation for the Fermi paradox?" is still going strong after over 1250 posts. It reconfirms my long held belief that the less information there is about a topic, and the more room for speculation, the more people will talk about it.

It also makes me wonder if the reason we haven't heard from non-human civilizations is that all civilizations eventually invent the Internet, and eventually spend all their time and energy debating why they haven't heard from other civilizations.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    It reconfirms my long held belief that the less information there is about a topic, and the more room for speculation, the more people will talk about it.
    Well, of course. There's no limits established, nothing to narrow down the possibilities. That leaves a lot of un-filled talk space, and nature abhors a vacuum.

(If nature truly abhors a vacuum, why did it make so much? But that's another long thread...)

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    (If nature truly abhors a vacuum, why did it make so much? But that's another long thread...)
    I abhor war and violence, but I'm not capable of stopping them. Maybe nature isn't able to translate its feelings into actions either.

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Maybe nature isn't able to translate its feelings into actions either.
    That explains so much....