Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: When you just *have* to make a joke

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    We now have confirmation the explosives caused a crater on the astroid.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0dm/095000c
    The President of Ryugu: "Today my fellow Ryuguians, the planet Earth has viciously, and without provocation attacked our beloved Ryugu. This mindless aggression shall not go unanswered. As I speak, our attack fleet is approaching Earth. Vengeance is ours!"

At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

"When you just have to make a joke?" What, you think it's funny that we're about to be annialated ... anihilated ... anihalated ... destroyed by an alien race?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I, for one, welcome our Ryuguian overlords.

Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post
    the president of ryugu: "today my fellow ryuguians, the planet earth has viciously, and without provocation attacked our beloved ryugu. This mindless aggression shall not go unanswered. As i speak, our attack fleet is approaching earth. Vengeance is ours!"

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    "when you just have to make a joke?" what, you think it's funny that we're about to be annialated ... Anihilated ... Anihalated ... Destroyed by an alien race?
    ex-ter-min-ate!

ETA: I typed the above in all-caps, twice. The forum converted it to lower case. Twice.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2019-Apr-26 at 02:16 AM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    All our base are belong to Ryugu.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    ex-ter-min-ate!

ETA: I typed the above in all-caps, twice. The forum converted it to lower case. Twice.
    The system won't let you have an entire post in caps, but I think if you'd left (or-reentered) the caps when you added your mixed-case ETA, it would've accepted it.

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I strongly feel that this Ryugu problem is related to dung beetles, per my last post in this thread which has not gotten the adulation it deserves. My post, not the dung beetles.

You just wanted an excuse to say that.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

From the black hole thread:

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    P.S. -- Are there metersticks these days, in lieu of yardsticks? I don't recall reading about metersticks.
    Lightsabres. I found a box of meter sticks in a school labeled Lightsabres a couple of years ago. I wish I had thought of it.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    From the black hole thread:

Lightsabres. I found a box of meter sticks in a school labeled Lightsabres a couple of years ago. I wish I had thought of it.
    Of course here, and the UK, NZ etc, a meter stick is something you might use to hit a parking meter but we would use a metre stick to measure. I wonder if the spelling difference dates from the Webster Dictionary days or is more recent?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1970830_4d5ef6fffc4c8c5641880cc8ce659403.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	24151

I liked a variant I saw some years ago. For all signs, it read: "this month, just like any other month, the relative position of randomly chosen distant starts has absolutely no influence on your life. Enjoy!"

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Of course here, and the UK, NZ etc, a meter stick is something you might use to hit a parking meter but we would use a metre stick to measure. I wonder if the spelling difference dates from the Webster Dictionary days or is more recent?
    Apparently itís because in the UK you prefer to use original spellings of borrowed words and the unit of length was borrowed from French while the other meaning is older, and originally meant a person who measured, I think from an older meaning of the verb mere. So itís like baker or player, and in British you wouldnít use re.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Apparently it’s because in the UK you prefer to use original spellings of borrowed words and the unit of length was borrowed from French while the other meaning is older, and originally meant a person who measured, I think from an older meaning of the verb mere. So it’s like baker or player, and in British you wouldn’t use re.

Thanks, I now see that the use of meter to measure is from 'Middle English' - from the verb mete. I still don't really see why the U.S. spells metre differently - especially when it has a very distinct meaning very different from the use of meter. Just one of those things I guess.

Thanks, I now see that the use of meter to measure is from 'Middle English' - from the verb mete. I still don't really see why the U.S. spells metre differently - especially when it has a very distinct meaning very different from the use of meter. Just one of those things I guess.
    The simple answer is that in the US we tend to spell borrowed words the way they are pronounced (the key here being "tend to", we don't do it consistently, but just more so than in Britain). I don't see why it is a particular problem, though. In both the UK and the US there are many, many words that we spell the same even though they have different meanings. The verb lead and the element lead, or bat as a hitting thing versus an animal. There are a very large number of homonyms in English and in general it is not bothersome because we judge from the concept. If in American we write that "the room is 12 square meters" it is perfectly clear that you mean a measurement and not that the room is composed of 12 parking meters or hydrometers or whatever). English is not a particularly consistent language in general, and if you think about it I don't think that Americans are particularly strange compared to Britons (and vice versa; I know an American who seems to think that Americans are quite logical whereas Britons are not, and I don't think that's the case at all either). We get by.
    As above, so below

I don't particularly think Americans are that strange regarding spelling - in other ways perhaps . The idiosyncratic, to me anyway, spelling of some words doesn't really worry me and sometimes they do appear to make more sense. It must be more difficult living in Canada, as when we visited there the dissonance between using American or UK English spelling and meanings was obvious - without even mentioning the French language.

But for some reason the 'scientific' type words attract my attention but as you said "we get by". However, I have enough sense not to enter into a dispute about aluminium/aluminum.

I don't particularly think Americans are that strange regarding spelling - in other ways perhaps . The idiosyncratic, to me anyway, spelling of some words doesn't really worry me and sometimes they do appear to make more sense. It must be more difficult living in Canada, as when we visited there the dissonance between using American or UK English spelling and meanings was obvious - without even mentioning the French language.

But for some reason the 'scientific' type words attract my attention but as you said "we get by". However, I have enough sense not to enter into a dispute about aluminium/aluminum.
    Tell me about it.

Honestly I donít think thereís really anything to argue about anyway.

As above, so below

I'm a history major. I tend to use the spellings as I find them in research. Being on the Canadian border, I would have elected to spell it as "metre", but what I saw on the box was "meter". It's a pain in the butt, because sometimes I have to distinguish between conventional usage, my usage and what someone else has written. If I did it my way, it would be obvious that "sabre" and "metre" rhyme.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    I liked a variant I saw some years ago. For all signs, it read: "this month, just like any other month, the relative position of randomly chosen distant starts has absolutely no influence on your life. Enjoy!"
    It took me far too long to figure out you have a typo and that was meant to be "distant stars"!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    “Today the stars predict you’ll wake up, do a bunch of stuff and then go back to sleep.”
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

You could also make a nice circular one where every sign reads "see [other sign]". Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    “Today the stars predict you’ll wake up, do a bunch of stuff and then go back to sleep.”
    Ah, you're a Taurus.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by Lurking Nerd View Post
    Ah, you're a Taurus.
    I'm a Silverado.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    I'm a Silverado.
    I am an outlander.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    The Weird Al horoscope song

That’s what I was quoting, yes.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I am an outlander.
    Welcome!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Just when you think off-topic chatter dies off by itself... Everyone: please don’t turn this thread with a specific purpose into a general banter thread.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

A chemist walks into a bar, periodically.