Page 511 of 518 FirstFirst ... 11411461501509510511512513 ... LastLast
Results 15,301 to 15,330 of 15539

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

But the proposed strategy reminds me of my uncle, who was in the hospital and had a habit of walking up and down the hallway to turn down the volume of his neighbours' TV using his remote which apparently worked on all the sets.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post

But the proposed strategy reminds me of my uncle, who was in the hospital and had a habit of walking up and down the hallway to turn down the volume of his neighbours' TV using his remote which apparently worked on all the sets.
    You couldn't do that in the hospitals I've been in; the remote is part of the call system and attached to the bed. Though the DVD players on the TVs in the NICU didn't have that, which is probably why, when Sandy was there, there was only one DVD remote left for the whole ward.

My car is still not working. Meanwhile, Graham's "I'm taking the end of October off" did not include today, so I've had to reschedule an appointment with my dentist and Sandy's parent-teacher conference.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I have successfully used a "Remote TV" app on my telephone to control the TV set in the doctor's waiting room. (I just had to specify the TV manufacturer.) When I was the only one there, I should add.
    I wouldn't try it in a restaurant or a bar, as it might start a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    You couldn't do that in the hospitals I've been in; the remote is part of the call system and attached to the bed. Though the DVD players on the TVs in the NICU didn't have that, which is probably why, when Sandy was there, there was only one DVD remote left for the whole ward.
    Depends on the hospital (or other facility), and which part of it, I expect. When I was in Harborview, pretty much everything was different between the ICU and the regular orthopedic ward. Including the channel lineup on the TV. The ward had actual flat-screen TV's which even in 2012 looked outdated, and which offered about 30 channels, including many duplicates. And my remote did NOT affect the roommate's TV, which he left on all night. I couldn't hear it, that was in a pillow speaker but as it was right next to mine. The light bothered me. They gave me a sleep mask. I still use those.
    When I graduated to the rehab place, I was happy to find they had the basic cable lineup like at my house, even if it was an old-fashioned TV.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    There is a difference between what a red light means to an astronomer and what it means to the general public.
    My neighbor has red, white and blue lights in that order on the front side of the house. Unfortunately, when they shut off the lights, the blue and the white are controlled by one switch and the red light is controlled by another. They apparently forget and have the red light on all night long, just below the master bedroom window. It drives my wife nuts, but makes me laugh.
    Solfe

This house we are renting has too many light switches. At the front door there are two sets of two switches about 3 feet apart. They control the front exterior light, the living room light, the hall light and the closet light. When using the switches, you can't see that you turned on the living room light from that position and the same goes for the hall light. It took us a month to realize there was a light in the closet because not only is there a door, it's behind you when facing the switch.

In the hall, there is a panel of 4 switches which turn on the garage exterior lights, the garage interior lights, the basement light and the hall light. Since the other set of switches also controls the hall light, my wife and I have fought over control of the hall light by accident.

There is a third set of 4 switches in the kitchen, which control the two kitchen lights, one of which is bright enough to illuminate the hallway, the living room lights and the dining room light.

One night I though it would be funny to ask all three of my kids to turn off the hall light by text message. All three of them started in different rooms and went nuts turning lights on and off all over the house. I was amused until I realized this nearly gave my wife a stroke because she though the children were being idiots. The jig was up when all three kids said, "BUT DAD SAID..."

Yeah, I almost died. She almost killed me with a pillow in my sleep.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    This house we are renting has too many light switches. At the front door there are two sets of two switches about 3 feet apart. They control the front exterior light, the living room light, the hall light and the closet light. When using the switches, you can't see that you turned on the living room light from that position and the same goes for the hall light. It took us a month to realize there was a light in the closet because not only is there a door, it's behind you when facing the switch.

In the hall, there is a panel of 4 switches which turn on the garage exterior lights, the garage interior lights, the basement light and the hall light. Since the other set of switches also controls the hall light, my wife and I have fought over control of the hall light by accident.

There is a third set of 4 switches in the kitchen, which control the two kitchen lights, one of which is bright enough to illuminate the hallway, the living room lights and the dining room light.

One night I though it would be funny to ask all three of my kids to turn off the hall light by text message. All three of them started in different rooms and went nuts turning lights on and off all over the house. I was amused until I realized this nearly gave my wife a stroke because she though the children were being idiots. The jig was up when all three kids said, "BUT DAD SAID..."

Yeah, I almost died. She almost killed me with a pillow in my sleep.
    You’re my hero.

I just watched this video about times Doctor Who was almost cancelled.
    They misuse the word "disinterested". Twice.
    The word they wanted was "uninterested", which means "not interested."
    "Disinterested" means "impartial".

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I just watched this video about times Doctor Who was almost cancelled.
    They misuse the word "disinterested". Twice.
    The word they wanted was "uninterested", which means "not interested."
    "Disinterested" means "impartial".
    Well the second definition of disinterested means as you heard it. Merriam Webster offers this:

In today's usage, disinterested most often means "not biased," whereas uninterested simply means "not interested." Interestingly, when these words were first introduced their meanings were the reverse, with disinterested originally meaning "lacking interest," and uninterested meaning "unbiased."
    Was the video produced in Great Britain? I believe the second definition is still used there. (I expect British English speakers will soon be along to set us straight. ). I know in the Master and Commander novels O’Brian uses “disinterested “ to mean indifferent.

The OED shows uninterested being used to mean "impartial" up to the late eighteenth century, and then switching to mean "indifferent". Whereas it shows that people have been using disinterested in both senses ever since the seventeenth century.
    Burchfield points out that no-one seems to have bothered about the two meanings of disinterested until somewhere around 1970, at which point the usage police seem to have suddenly decided that the "indifferent" usage of disinterested was just plain wrong, for no obvious reason.

In the UK the usage split on disinterested is about 50:50, but apparently its "misuse" is the second most common cause of complaint to the BBC from the self-appointed usage police. (First place, of course, goes to the mysterious and fatuous notion that we should never ever use hopefully as a sentence adverb.)

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Sandy woke up at three something this morning with a toothache. We turned out to have neither ibuprofen nor acetaminophen for kids, so I went out to the store to get some. Someone was practically tailgating me for a couple of miles, despite the fact that I was technically speeding.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I really hate it when you are in a phone queue waiting for a human and the music is interrupted repeatedly with “All our representatives are helping other customers, please continue to hold.” To which, I say “I KNOW.” Each time, the interruption to the music temporarily makes me hope that a real person is finally available, only to have my hopes dashed, and if anything these messages make me more tempted to hang up. Just leave the music running until a person is available, or at least don’t play the stupid message so often.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My doctor's office helpfully tells you "You are currently number six in line. Estimated hold time is three minutes."
    Followed by "You are currently number five in line. Estimated hold time is nine minutes."
    Or some such. There's some algorithm at work there.

Adding insult to injury: This was a portable home phone and the battery died in the middle of the call after I got a human. It was charged, the battery in this phone just can’t be trusted anymore. I’d had a suspicion before but this makes it certain.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

"Portable", as in "those wireless handsets that connected to a base station, that connected to a landline?" Who the heck has those any more.
    Oh, yeah. Me.
    Ours has an integral answering machine. The outgoing message states "We don't answer this phone because nobody ever calls us but scammers. But if you've got a legitimate reason to call us leave a message."
    They seldom do.

Yes, with a base station and answering machine. I also don’t answer the phone unless I’m expecting the call or recognize the caller ID. Scam calls have dropped dramatically since there were regulation and technological changes that have reduced them, but they aren’t gone completely.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yes, with a base station and answering machine. I also don’t answer the phone unless I’m expecting the call or recognize the caller ID. Scam calls have dropped dramatically since there were regulation and technological changes that have reduced them, but they aren’t gone completely.
    Really? What planet do you live on; I'm moving there!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Really? What planet do you live on; I'm moving there!
    We cut our land line three years ago and never looked back. I wont say we receive no spam calls but they have dropped to almost zero, maybe one a week on our mobiles, if that.

We still have a landline. It has a corded base station with a couple wireless handsets.
    In a panic situation, the following two items are important to me:
    1) I'll know where the base station is, and the handset will be there.
    2) The emergency responders will know where the call is originating.

I understand that cellular systems have gotten better at routing emergency calls, but I had an unsettling experience when reporting an emergency several years ago.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

We have a "caller announce" landline. People on our contact list get straight through, others have to announce themselves briefly to the software, which then rings the phone and plays the announcement to us, followed by the option to accept or reject the call. Never had a spam call since we adopted that approach--everyone who has announced has been a genuine caller.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I bought a system with a handset and base station that connects to my cell phone by Bluetooth, because I can hear it all through the house and therefore don't have to carry my phone from room to room.

"You can't erase icing."

I bought a modern game console. To me, the appeal of game consoles over PC's was the ability to plug in a cartridge, take a few seconds to go through a few (if any) simple, clear menu's and dive right into the action. But that was then. Now it's 2021. Oh boy. Make an account. Make a parent account. Make children accounts. Give approval for the children accounts. Perhaps make a game publisher account too? Make a Wifi connection. Perform an update. Download game. Synchronize. Go into lobby. Get lost in a maze of ridiculously clumsy, busy menu's, feel as if you don't have any influence on what happens, get bothered by in-game purchase proposals every 20 seconds. Finally get into the game but being so stressed out you don't want to anymore.

I am now looking for cartridge games that can run offline on these new consoles. Because the "free" downloadable online games are done here. Worse experience than on PC.

I'm glad I still have my 8bit and 16bit Sega's hooked up for my old skool kind of entertainment.

I met someone a couple of years ago who was suddenly scrambling for money after her kid went through a game buying a bunch of in-game stuff that added up to thousands of real-world dollars.

I got hooked into a couple of these types of games where you could get upgrades by paying, but never payed a cent myself. there a lot of reasons for all settings in games, like you are trying to get different levels of game and you don't want others to mess your game up. Or you don't want your kids the ability to play Grand Theft Auto or something like Doom.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    I met someone a couple of years ago who was suddenly scrambling for money after her kid went through a game buying a bunch of in-game stuff that added up to thousands of real-world dollars.
    I have entered my payment details nowhere in any account or menu, so I assume it would be impossible for them. Also, given how often I get emails in which I have to confirm what the kids are doing, I think it's safe here. But I'll do a quick google anyway.

I've blocked it to the max now. Imminent bankrupcy avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I got hooked into a couple of these types of games where you could get upgrades by paying, but never payed a cent myself. there a lot of reasons for all settings in games, like you are trying to get different levels of game and you don't want others to mess your game up. Or you don't want your kids the ability to play Grand Theft Auto or something like Doom.
    The last time I tried playing Angry Birds on my phone it turned out to be unplayable because of the incessant pushing of paid upgrades. I uninstalled it.

I used to quite enjoy the constant battle of wits with Microsoft, dodging the "necessity" of having an account with them, removing their bloatware, undoing all the file and network settings they merrily change without permission during updates ... But last month they decided they were unable to install an update, and have been having low-grade hysterics about it ever since. Eventually it turned out I had to reinstall Edge, trigger the update, and then uninstall Edge again. And now they're threatening me with the "good news" of Windows 11--so I guess we'll have another year of increasingly stealthy attempts to install the damn thing while I'm not looking.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Someone at Google is still sad that I don't have a Google account yet am still a functional member of society.

Last night, there were houses near us that were fully decorated . . . for Christmas. At least one of them was all lit up and not giving out candy. (It's practically a law here that houses with lights on are expecting trick-or-treating.)

"You can't erase icing."