Page 506 of 509 FirstFirst ... 6406456496504505506507508 ... LastLast
Results 15,151 to 15,180 of 15263

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Last evening, I received four voicemail messages on our landline phone claiming an enormous charge to my Amazon account. Two had toll-free caller ID, one was from a “local exchange”, and one had a person’s name in the ID.
    Fairly early this morning, I received another call with the same message, but the caller ID was from a housecleaning service.

I guess Amazon is outsourcing their alert phone calls to housecleaning services.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Last night, I got two texts from the school district saying that there would be changes to Zane's bus schedule, which left us in hope that he now had a bus schedule. They told us to check the school's parental access in the morning. I got up early in case they had and he would have to be up and ready for a bus; there has been no change. I could've slept another half hour.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Seeing something that I was used to as only future speculation and anticipation become reality bugs me in a way, because the quantum possibilities of “What will it be like? Who will it be?” have collapsed and there is only the single singular history of what and who it is soon to become who/what was first. Is that why the Inspiration 4 thread leaves me feeling strangely uncomfortable amidst the excitement?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

When humans first went to space, I was bummed because I was too young. Now I'm too old!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I might have to buy new pants if my waistline keeps going down.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    When humans first went to space, I was bummed because I was too young. Now I'm too old!
    John Glenn might have begged to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    John Glenn might have begged to disagree.
    John Glenn has the record as being the oldest person to go to orbit, at 77 when he flew on the shuttle. Wally Funk has the record as the oldest person to enter space, at 82 when she flew on New Shepard. Yeah, not much of an age limit there.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Seeing something that I was used to as only future speculation and anticipation become reality bugs me in a way, because the quantum possibilities of “What will it be like? Who will it be?” have collapsed and there is only the single singular history of what and who it is soon to become who/what was first. Is that why the Inspiration 4 thread leaves me feeling strangely uncomfortable amidst the excitement?
    Keep in mind it isn’t so much about who, but how. There have been private astronauts before, and private astronauts to orbit before, but this is the first time private astronauts have gone to orbit on a private spacecraft. It’s the private spacecraft to orbit not paid for by a government carrying private astronauts (not just hardware) that is history in the making.

I’m just annoyed it took so long. I expected this decades ago.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Keep in mind it isn’t so much about who, but how. There have been private astronauts before, and private astronauts to orbit before, but this is the first time private astronauts have gone to orbit on a private spacecraft. It’s the private spacecraft to orbit not paid for by a government carrying private astronauts (not just hardware) that is history in the making.

I’m just annoyed it took so long. I expected this decades ago.
    There very much is a “who” element to it, as the concept— “a mission without professional crew trained by the government”— is, on its own, the sort of speculative concept that I was talking about. As a loose concept, no individual in particular is mentioned as being part of that crew, in concept art, we might see them all anonymous in spacesuits— but to have it happen for real, the anonymous figures obviously do become real people who have names and, under the space helmets, faces.

It’s like how “tomorrow’s lottery winner”, “next year’s valedictorian”, or “the 2020 Olympic gold medalist in [event]” are/were anonymous conceptual roles until the moment comes when one specific individual fills them. Someone will, we expect, but “Just who will it be?” is a valid question up until that moment.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2021-Sep-16 at 05:56 AM.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

There was Wally Funk at 82 on Blue origins but I think Trebuchet is just trying to get a better view and the only way he is going to that is to into space.

I don't like waking up after just a few hours of sleep, I don't know to go back to bed or to stay up.

While trying to get my head around the whole Inspiration 4 Inspiration4 extravaganza, I ran into the word "centimillionaire" for the first time (as in: "As an untrained civilian, you're still going to need to be a centimillionaire to get into space." I appreciate that this works etymologically (centipede, centurion, etc), but for anyone raised on SI units it says, "person who owns 10,000 currency units" not "person who owns 100,000,000 currency units". Would it have killed anyone to say "hectomillionaire"?

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

"Really rich guy" works well enough for me.

Tonight I am really getting an understanding of how much work goes behind a youtube video like finding images that would show evidence of dark matter and trying to start the audio which after a few attempts I am still not happy and have to make another pass at least.

A recent TV ad for a fast food place that is expanding their breakfast menu claims that the difference between being a child and adult is that a child can be told he can’t eat a donut, while an adult can eat one whenever he wants.

No, being an adult means you can tell yourself when you can’t eat a donut.

That commercial explains so much of what is wrong with this world.

ETA: Maybe I was a bit grumpy when I wrote that last part.
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2021-Sep-19 at 11:26 AM.

I ate a doughnut once. What a strange idea for a foodstuff that was. Do people really eat them for breakfast?

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I ate a doughnut once. What a strange idea for a foodstuff that was. Do people really eat them for breakfast?
    Most definitely.

There is a huge variety.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName View Post
    Most definitely.

There is a huge variety.
    "I'll have the Type II Diabetes special to go, please."

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

"I'll have the Type II Diabetes special to go, please."

Grant Hutchison
    They have much better marketing than that.

We have them here in Southeast Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName View Post
    They have much better marketing than that.

We have them here in Southeast Asia.
    In these parts we have the Full Three-Course Scottish Breakfast instead: a cup of coffee, a cigarette and a good cough.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I pulled a pair of jeans from my dresser to find several small holes in the thigh area. As best I can tell, I was wearing them when I replaced the battery for my basement’s backup sump pump two weeks ago.

The pump is powered by an old-school 12v lead-acid battery. The battery requires the addition of sulfuric acid.

Despite my best efforts, some must have splashed. Now, I’m extra glad I wore goggles and rubber gloves.

I’ve never had them for breakfast. Cereal with sugar, though, yes. These days I usually don’t bother with breakfast, I just have tea or coffee when I get up and something more substantial for lunch.

I never really went much for donuts, but every few years I get a hankering for a bag of mini-donuts covered with powdered sugar. Somewhat more often I’ll get cinnamon filled or maple frosting covered pastries, but it isn’t a regular thing.

I remember when there was huge hype for a franchise brand called Krispy Kreme, and finally someone opened a store in town. I found I didn’t much care for them and wondered what all the fuss was about. I don’t hear much about them anymore so I think it was a short lived fad.

Another place that has been around for a long time used to be called “Dunkin’ Donuts” and now they just go by “Dunkin’” and don’t focus on the donuts anymore but are more about coffee and sandwiches. I think donuts have been falling out of favor because of perceived health concerns (though a lot of the alternatives sold aren’t all that healthy either).

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I remember when there was huge hype for a franchise brand called Krispy Kreme, and finally someone opened a store in town. I found I didn’t much care for them and wondered what all the fuss was about. I don’t hear much about them anymore so I think it was a short lived fad.

Another place that has been around for a long time used to be called “Dunkin’ Donuts” and now they just go by “Dunkin’” and don’t focus on the donuts anymore but are more about coffee and sandwiches. I think donuts have been falling out of favor because of perceived health concerns (though a lot of the alternatives sold aren’t all that healthy either).

We have both of those brands here. I don't think we have Tim Hortons though.

We have both of those brands here. I don't think we have Tim Hortons though.

I’ve never had them for breakfast. Cereal with sugar, though, yes. These days I usually don’t bother with breakfast, I just have tea or coffee when I get up and something more substantial for lunch.

I never really went much for donuts, but every few years I get a hankering for a bag of mini-donuts covered with powdered sugar. Somewhat more often I’ll get cinnamon filled or maple frosting covered pastries, but it isn’t a regular thing.

Best thing about Krispy Kreme was the show. Watching the automated donut machinery.
    But it was nothing compared to the spudnut shop I remember from my childhood. Little cars, each with two nascent donuts, on a railroad through a lake of hot grease. And something that flipped them over half way round.
    Had my first ever hamburger there as well.

I wasn’t familiar with spudnut, but I looked it up and found they were a big franchise making potato flour donuts that fell apart when the franchise owner made a bad investment. Interestingly, there is a surviving spudnut store across town, but about a 25-30 minute drive, and they close at 4 pm. I might make a trip over someday, reviews say the donuts have a special fluffy texture.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I pulled a pair of jeans from my dresser to find several small holes in the thigh area. As best I can tell, I was wearing them when I replaced the battery for my basement’s backup sump pump two weeks ago.

The pump is powered by an old-school 12v lead-acid battery. The battery requires the addition of sulfuric acid.

Despite my best efforts, some must have splashed. Now, I’m extra glad I wore goggles and rubber gloves.
    Long ago in a college chemistry class, I was pouring dilute sulfuric acid into a burette. I slipped a bit and ended up with most of it down my left sleeve. I rolled up the sleeves, wiped my arm, and all was well: it was a weak solution.

However the next day when I took my lab coat off its hanger. The left sleeve I'd grabbed disintegrated into shreds and patches!

Oddly, the long-sleeved shirt I had been wearing under the lab coat that day remained useful for some years afterward, without even any fading of its color. There must have been quite a difference in the fabrics involved.

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Long ago in a college chemistry class, I was pouring dilute sulfuric acid into a burette. I slipped a bit and ended up with most of it down my left sleeve. I rolled up the sleeves, wiped my arm, and all was well: it was a weak solution.

However the next day when I took my lab coat off its hanger. The left sleeve I'd grabbed disintegrated into shreds and patches!

Oddly, the long-sleeved shirt I had been wearing under the lab coat that day remained useful for some years afterward, without even any fading of its color. There must have been quite a difference in the fabrics involved.
    When I was in my fifth year at secondary school one of my more turnip-headed contemporaries used a filter funnel and a length of rubber tubing to pour sulphuric acid into the pocket of my school blazer. I escaped without injury, but various items in that pocket became fused to the fabric, which disintegrated into interesting fronds. Since my parents didn't have the money to replace school uniform at the drop of a hat, I continued to wear the same blazer until I left school, at the end of sixth year. I rather enjoyed the rakish effect.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post

Interestingly, the holes in my jeans have thin clear horizontal threads that didn’t disappear. Whatever they are made of must be acid resistant.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Interestingly, the holes in my jeans have thin clear horizontal threads that didn’t disappear. Whatever they are made of must be acid resistant.
    You've probably got a bit of elastane or lycra thread woven through the cotton to prevent the denim getting baggy with wear and washing.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I always had difficulty remembering whether to add the acid to the water or vice versa. And it was something I had to do frequently when I was processing my own photos.

On another topic entirely, I used to enjoy the "Politifact" website. No link here due to subject matter, but also because it pretty much doesn't work any more. Clicking most of the items on the main page just takes you to one that says "Here's a fact: This page doesn't exist." I rate "Politifact is a useful website" "Pants On Fire"!