Page 419 of 419 FirstFirst ... 319369409417418419
Results 12,541 to 12,556 of 12556

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    The average mass of the ants in my coffee maker has to be very small indeed.
    What do they do to the coffee's flavor? Considering some of the coffee idiocy (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_luwak, anyone?), you might have a veritable gold mine.
    Information about American English usage here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

The average mass of the ants in my coffee maker has to be very small indeed.
    I see no research to support this.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

We have 10 cats and 13 litter boxes. I clean all the boxes every evening when I come home. I know more about used cat litter than any of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I know more about used cat litter than any of you.
    Ignorance ...is bliss.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

We have 10 cats and 13 litter boxes. I clean all the boxes every evening when I come home. I know more about used cat litter than any of you.
    According to a veterinarian I once heard on a call-in show, you're probably not doing it correctly. She was quite dogmatic. ALL commercial cat boxes are too small; you MUST use a pan intended for installing wallpaper, 3ft by 2ft by six inches deep. And there MUST be one for each cat, plus an extra, on each floor of the house. So unless you have the huge pans and just one floor.....
    Oh, and there was also a specific brand of litter that was the only kind you could use.

Oh, nuts. I just heard one throwing up, gotta go.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    What do they do to the coffee's flavor? Considering some of the coffee idiocy (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_luwak, anyone?), you might have a veritable gold mine.
    I see no research to support this.
    It's been around five years since the ants invaded the coffee maker, I'm kind of astounded that anyone remembered the incident. But it wasn't just a matter of flavor -- they invaded it so thoroughly it no longer worked.

I think I meant "average mass per ant". The ants in question were the Little Black Ant, Monomorium minimum. They are really small, so can get in anywhere.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It's been around five years since the ants invaded the coffee maker, I'm kind of astounded that anyone remembered the incident. But it wasn't just a matter of flavor -- they invaded it so thoroughly it no longer worked.

I think I meant "average mass per ant". The ants in question were the Little Black Ant, Monomorium minimum. They are really small, so can get in anywhere.
    Should add tartness. The formic acid would lower the pH. But somebody else can do the taste test.

According to a veterinarian I once heard on a call-in show, you're probably not doing it correctly.
    We had problem where our cat decided she didn’t want to urinate in her box anymore. There vet recommended “as big a pan as you can fit”. He also said a plug-in pheromone thing often helps. We tried both, plus unscented litter, and so far so good. (About 3 months)

The pheromone thing ran out and I’m holding off purchasing a refill unless it’s really needed.

Meanwhile, despite repeated cleaning, the carpet in the finished basement still smells when the sun comes through the window just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    We had problem where our cat decided she didn’t want to urinate in her box anymore.
    I'm amazed more house cats don't take that approach. I would.

Grant Hutchison

Smelly carpets get better with baking soda at our house, spread around after scrubbing.

One of our house's smoke alarms just went off. No danger, just some cooking in the nearby kitchen. (As you know, these things require a design that you can't turn off.)

I popped the battery hatch to disable the battery, but it went on with its ear-piercing blasts.

"No good," advised my son. "It stores enough juice for a long time!"

He got it to stop by fanning the smoky air away from it with a piece of cardboard, while I opened some windows. That worked, but the fanning had to be repeated, once so far.

"Maybe we should keep a battery-powered fan handy on that shelf near by," I was thinking. "Or maybe install a small fan right there to blow on it."

Would that be crazy tech or what?

We’ve learned to poke the button on our nearby smoke detector when cooking certain foods. It disables that alarm for about 10 minutes.

Lots of people in my office have joined a trend to drink some kind of stuff you make by mixing powder with water. Apparently, mixing requires shaking a lidded container with a ball inside.

I’ve discovered that the sound really irritates me.

We have a cat that wakes me up when he gets hungry by biting my chin and clawing my lips off. This starts after 1 am and lasts till 6 am when I have to get up.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Lots of people in my office have joined a trend to drink some kind of stuff you make by mixing powder with water. Apparently, mixing requires shaking a lidded container with a ball inside.

I’ve discovered that the sound really irritates me.
    You're sure it isn't spray paint they're using behind your back? Check for a "KICK ME" message!

Last job, I had a fellow in the next desk who explained that he was lactose-intolerant, and so consumed this oatmeal-based milk substitute. This presumably required constant noisy shaking, which is what he did, every 15 minutes or so throughout the day.

A nice fellow, but he eventually got canned. l Don't know if that was a factor, but I can't blame anybody if it were.

Yesterday, I was playing a timed game. I missed getting the time by . . . about as long as my sneezing in the middle had delayed me.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"