Page 507 of 509 FirstFirst ... 7407457497505506507508509 LastLast
Results 15,181 to 15,210 of 15255

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I always had difficulty remembering whether to add the acid to the water or vice versa. And it was something I had to do frequently when I was processing my own photos.
    Do what you oughter / Add acid to water.
    Or:
    The water must go in before / You add the H-two-S-O-four.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

On another topic entirely, I used to enjoy the "Politifact" website. No link here due to subject matter, but also because it pretty much doesn't work any more. Clicking most of the items on the main page just takes you to one that says "Here's a fact: This page doesn't exist." I rate "Politifact is a useful website" "Pants On Fire"!
    I've been frustrated by that, too.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

After tapping the snooze button three times this morning, I dragged myself out of bed to close my bedroom window when I saw it: snow. I didn't even hear about it in the forecast and The Wife is usually on top of that. Ah well. With our current daytime temps, it won't stay long. Later, as I was pouring my coffee, I remembered back to the last time we had a September snowfall, many years ago. With leaves still on the trees, they caught more snow—and it wasn't the light fluffy kind. It was wet and heavy snow. The backyard and driveway looked like something out of a creepy movie, with dozens of trees bending under the weight until their top branches almost touched the ground...or did. So I looked out across the deck to see if we had a repeat. We did.

There weren't as many bent trees as last time but there were quite a few. Then I wondered what the driveway looked like. I found one drooping right in front of the garage side door as well as several others beyond it. There among them, lying across the driveway, was the greatest annoyance of the morning. One tree had snapped, with it's top branches having fallen less than a foot away from my truck. It's not a large tree but it's still partially attached at the break, so I couldn't quickly shift it out of the way in order to back The Wife's car out of the garage for our regular Tuesday morning commute. So we took my truck, after brushing 2-3 inches of wet snow off of it. We weren't delayed (we made an early start) but it's annoying that I have that chore waiting for me with we get home.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I think the charging/data transfer cord for the phone has gone bad. Tried to charge phone from the computer at first yesterday and then plugged into a brick on the power bar and not charged yet. Also the battery in the tablet probably has gone since it won't charge itself. On a good note I thought there was going to an auction this weekend which will give me extra time to pile the firewood which almost doubled last Friday, the guy cutting and splitting the wood dumped off another load which is about a cord and I was down to the last cord before.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I have a similar problem, except having tried a couple of cords, I've determined it's not the cord, it's the port on the phone. I charge it cordlessly but it's tough transferring data. I've taken to emailing photos to myself.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    After tapping the snooze button three times this morning, I dragged myself out of bed to close my bedroom window when I saw it: snow. I didn't even hear about it in the forecast and The Wife is usually on top of that. Ah well. With our current daytime temps, it won't stay long. Later, as I was pouring my coffee, I remembered back to the last time we had a September snowfall, many years ago. With leaves still on the trees, they caught more snow—and it wasn't the light fluffy kind. It was wet and heavy snow. The backyard and driveway looked like something out of a creepy movie, with dozens of trees bending under the weight until their top branches almost touched the ground...or did. So I looked out across the deck to see if we had a repeat. We did.

There weren't as many bent trees as last time but there were quite a few. Then I wondered what the driveway looked like. I found one drooping right in front of the garage side door as well as several others beyond it. There among them, lying across the driveway, was the greatest annoyance of the morning. One tree had snapped, with it's top branches having fallen less than a foot away from my truck. It's not a large tree but it's still partially attached at the break, so I couldn't quickly shift it out of the way in order to back The Wife's car out of the garage for our regular Tuesday morning commute. So we took my truck, after brushing 2-3 inches of wet snow off of it. We weren't delayed (we made an early start) but it's annoying that I have that chore waiting for me with we get home.
    I suspect that even for Anchorage, that's early for snow. Yuck. Some years ago we had a similar disastrous event with snow and trees breaking. Leaves were off, but it got colder after plentiful wet snow fell, and that snow was effectively frozen to the trees. Then more snow came. So many rural power lines were down that some properties didn't get their power back for weeks.

ETA: I had thought of doing a quick 2700 km loop trip to Yukon late in the summer or even the first week of autumn, if the weather forecasts looked okay. But they indicate snow now. I didn't get much riding in this year.
    Last edited by Torsten; 2021-Sep-23 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I think the charging/data transfer cord for the phone has gone bad. Tried to charge phone from the computer at first yesterday and then plugged into a brick on the power bar and not charged yet. Also the battery in the tablet probably has gone since it won't charge itself. On a good note I thought there was going to an auction this weekend which will give me extra time to pile the firewood which almost doubled last Friday, the guy cutting and splitting the wood dumped off another load which is about a cord and I was down to the last cord before.
    I have a similar problem, except having tried a couple of cords, I've determined it's not the cord, it's the port on the phone. I charge it cordlessly but it's tough transferring data. I've taken to emailing photos to myself.
    I installed a 12 V outlet to my motorcycle so that I can keep my phone charged when on a trip. This summer I noticed the charging become unreliable, and I assumed it was the cord. But then the phone showed it was in and out of charging mode, back and forth, in rapid succession. I pulled the 12V to USB adapter out of the outlet and found it was really hot. I wonder if it would have caught fire? Fortunately, I had a spare with me.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I installed a 12 V outlet to my motorcycle so that I can keep my phone charged when on a trip. This summer I noticed the charging become unreliable, and I assumed it was the cord. But then the phone showed it was in and out of charging mode, back and forth, in rapid succession. I pulled the 12V to USB adapter out of the outlet and found it was really hot. I wonder if it would have caught fire? Fortunately, I had a spare with me.
    the adaptor should never get hot due to phone charging current, even if intermittent, so I guess it was sparking at the interface to the 12 v outlet. Usually the usb 5 volt adaptor has a dc to dc converter rather than a simple resistor dropper, so the sparking current could be higher than when continuous Anyway the sparks make the metal hot.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

It's still too early to say if my newest medication will do any good. I am told that the general wooziness should go away after the first couple of weeks, but it's really annoying now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It's still too early to say if my newest medication will do any good. I am told that the general wooziness should go away after the first couple of weeks, but it's really annoying now.
    I hope you'll be able to provide an update in the happy thread!

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    the adaptor should never get hot due to phone charging current, even if intermittent, so I guess it was sparking at the interface to the 12 v outlet. Usually the usb 5 volt adaptor has a dc to dc converter rather than a simple resistor dropper, so the sparking current could be higher than when continuous Anyway the sparks make the metal hot.
    Yes, it must've been on the 12 V side where a short could be disastrous, though I did include a fuse in that circuit when I installed it. So whatever was happening in there was still at low enough current to not burn out the fuse.

I use the phone with a particular application to continuously log these trips. I'm glad that I discovered the phone could go a full day doing this without being plugged in. Previously I used a tablet that required more power, and I would leave it plugged in all day. Which means the problem would have gone undetected until something really unpleasant happened...

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    Yes, it must've been on the 12 V side where a short could be disastrous, though I did include a fuse in that circuit when I installed it. So whatever was happening in there was still at low enough current to not burn out the fuse.

I use the phone with a particular application to continuously log these trips. I'm glad that I discovered the phone could go a full day doing this without being plugged in. Previously I used a tablet that required more power, and I would leave it plugged in all day. Which means the problem would have gone undetected until something really unpleasant happened...
    It’s amazing how a tiny spark with low current can heat up a contact. I use relays in relay holders, under rated. If they fail it is always the plug in connector and the plastic chars and gives that characteristic smell. The heat from that can also distort the relay body and make it unreliable. Can be scary. The actual contact patch in a connector is tiny, so the current per area is high and they work because the surrounding metal carries the heat away.. but if it gaps a tiny bit, it sparks, and that spark is even tinier. It erodes the local area and stays tiny, generating heat. It’s amazing simple connectors work at all, really. The modern tiny spring loaded type are very clever. The correct spring load prevents sparking and makes a big enough contact patch to carry an amp or so easily. Another detail that passes people by!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Trivial but darned annoying. I dropped my phone and shattered the screen. For the second time in a year. Harrumph

The crack pattern kinda resembles a Picasso sketch.

The last couple of places I've lived in have been rental properties with heating systems that get turned completely off for the warm seasons and back on for the cold seasons. The landlord hasn't turned it on yet for this autumn. It should have been running for the last few nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    The last couple of places I've lived in have been rental properties with heating systems that get turned completely off for the warm seasons and back on for the cold seasons. The landlord hasn't turned it on yet for this autumn. It should have been running for the last few nights.
    Not a problem here - we don't have heat. We would never turn it on if we did, so what's the point?

I can get another cord for the cell phone at a nearby store but that is about 5 km away and I will wait until a have another reason to go into town, there is just a couple of pictures some people might like taht I took about a week ago,

Zane's got a cold, and I'm keeping him home from school today.

"You can't erase icing."

A while ago I was going to do a video on another flat earthers video and I found way of recording it off youtube onto my computer. Last night I was thinking of doing a video but change it to a write-up and using the video clips. So last night I uploaded the clips to youtube and now just checked and they are all gone. I had to quit last night because recently my computer seems to stall, everything just stops or slows down at times, this started after I installed an anti-virus on the laptop, I think there is a conflict between programs. Right I am wondering what happened to the clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Zane's got a cold, and I'm keeping him home from school today.
    Hope he gets better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    A while ago I was going to do a video on another flat earthers video and I found way of recording it off youtube onto my computer. Last night I was thinking of doing a video but change it to a write-up and using the video clips. So last night I uploaded the clips to youtube and now just checked and they are all gone. I had to quit last night because recently my computer seems to stall, everything just stops or slows down at times, this started after I installed an anti-virus on the laptop, I think there is a conflict between programs. Right I am wondering what happened to the clips.
    Never mind found them in a different are of my account.

I experienced my first magpie attack of the season yesterday when we were out for my morning ride. It was pretty determined and had 4 goes at me. I was slightly 'touched' on the first fly by. My wife, riding about 2 metres behind me, was not attacked.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    I experienced my first magpie attack of the season yesterday when we were out for my morning ride. It was pretty determined and had 4 goes at me. I was slightly 'touched' on the first fly by. My wife, riding about 2 metres behind me, was not attacked.
    I didn't know that about Australian Magpies. Ours are noisy but not generally aggressive.
    I've had blood drawn from the top of my head by Arctic Terns, though. And skuas can be distinctly vicious. Then there was the whole "mobbed by owls" episode ...

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I didn't know that about Australian Magpies. Ours are noisy but not generally aggressive.
    I've had blood drawn from the top of my head by Arctic Terns, though. And skuas can be distinctly vicious. Then there was the whole "mobbed by owls" episode ...

Grant Hutchison
    During 'breeding season' they can be very aggressive if you accidently venture anywhere near a nest. Kids are taught about what to do from kindergarten on. There was a very sad case a month or so ago in another state when a woman was swooped, fell over and killed her baby that was in a baby carier.

I'm a moron. Some or all of you may have suspected that already.

Backstory:
    My late mother was somewhat obsessed with the changing of the seasons. And in particular, the length of the days. December 23rd was sure to bring a cheery "The days are getting longer!" comment. It rubbed off, much as I try to resist it.
    Today:
    I have a summer uniform and a winter uniform. Winter is jeans, t-shirt, wool socks, sandals, jacket if required. Summer is shorts, T-shirt, sandals. I try to switch to summer as early as possible and maintain it as long as possible. Today I needed to go do some errands in town. But it's still September, and I wanted to stick to summer uniform. So I did. It was 50F and raining. I froze. Got back in the car and drove the 50 yds from the pizza store to the supermarket. Had to change the t-shirt when I got home, it was so wet.
    If I can just stay home the next couple of days, or the sun comes out, I can wear the jeans on Friday!

Note that up until the past couple of days, we've had an unusually nice September.

That reminds me of a time years ago when relatives from Kansas were visiting. It was a typical summer day, probably at least mid-90s or even 100F. The relatives wanted to visit San Francisco, about a two hour drive, and we warned them to take warm clothes. They were incredulous, given how hot it was here. So we got to San Francisco and it was in the 50s, overcast with a stiff wind. We natives had brought warm jackets, but my relatives had hot weather clothes. My mother had brought some of her spare sweaters and things, and we had a good laugh at my uncle (he was laughing too, it wasn’t mean) wearing one of my mother’s sweaters, which was decidedly small for him and looked ridiculous, but kept him warm. They admitted we had known what we were talking about.

Coastal weather is often cool and windy (at least at the coasts I’ve usually been to).

You could do what I do: I always keep a spare jacket in the car, even in summer, just in case.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Sep-29 at 02:36 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

That reminds me of going to Hawaii in November. We arrived wearing warm clothes and coats. Had to go buy shorts!

Note that up until the past couple of days, we've had an unusually nice September.
    So it's your fault!

Our Spring so far has been very wet and very cold.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

That reminds me of going to Hawaii in November. We arrived wearing warm clothes and coats. Had to go buy shorts!
    I was sent on a short assignment to Bogota, Columbia one July, pre-internet.

I looked at Bogota on a map and saw it was almost on the equator and so I packed summer clothing.

When I got off the plane i realized I should have checked the altitude as well; the average daytime temperature that week was around 55F. Bogota sits at 8600 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    That reminds me of a time years ago when relatives from Kansas were visiting. It was a typical summer day, probably at least mid-90s or even 100F. The relatives wanted to visit San Francisco, about a two hour drive, and we warned them to take warm clothes. They were incredulous, given how hot it was here. So we got to San Francisco and it was in the 50s, overcast with a stiff wind. We natives had brought warm jackets, but my relatives had hot weather clothes. My mother had brought some of her spare sweaters and things, and we had a good laugh at my uncle (he was laughing too, it wasn’t mean) wearing one of my mother’s sweaters, which was decidedly small for him and looked ridiculous, but kept him warm. They admitted we had known what we were talking about.

Coastal weather is often cool and windy (at least at the coasts I’ve usually been to).

You could do what I do: I always keep a spare jacket in the car, even in summer, just in case.
    The coldest winter, etc. etc.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I believe I've mentioned that earlier this year I bought a Cubii machine. You set it in front of a chair and pedal. That's been great for me since I don't feel safe going to the fitness room. But it developed a fault and yesterday I sent it back to them for replacement. I'm already missing and haven't even missed a session yet!
    The company, incidentally, has been very good about the replacement. Glad I kept the box!