Page 481 of 488 FirstFirst ... 381431471479480481482483 ... LastLast
Results 14,401 to 14,430 of 14632

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Just went for a long walk in the woods and realized when I was close to home I dropped something down there, I probably to do it again in a couple of days. Probably should not h=of taken it is not like I was drive the car there.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    There must be a very impressive Latin name for the fear of keypads.

I personally love them, but fewer and fewer laptops have them, especially the smaller models obviously.
    Our newest one is plenty wide enough, but doesn't have one anyway. It is also lacking an ethernet port, enough USB's, an internal DVD drive, and video other than HDMI. I'd have had to get a cheaper option for those, and it would have weighed a few grams more.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The test-pilot George J. Marrett records in his memoirs that the swing-wing control for the F111 Aardvark went forward to swing the wings back, and back to swing them forward. He recalls pilots sticking notes to the lever, reading "Forward-Back; Back-Forward".
    When challenged by the test pilots, the designers said that they had understood the forward position to mean "Go faster" and back to mean "Go slower".
    I think that sort of makes sense (what the engineers said), because in fact when piloting, you pull the stick back to reduce speed, and forward to increase speed.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I've heard that story for years and having typed on manual typewriters I can completely believe it (I've jammed keys even with QWERTY).
    Same here, I could see the need to reduce jamming. I used an old Royal manual (it dated back to the ‘30s, but was built like a tank so still worked into the ‘80s) and a Smith Corona electric (bought new in the ‘70s) and occasionally jammed both, but it was easier with the Royal. You needed something like the IBM Selectric with its “golfball” to prevent jamming, but IBM patented their design. I used typewriters into the early ’80s and then I bought my first inexpensive computer printer with true typewriter output and never used a typewriter again. (Early printers that worked like typewriters like a Xerox model cost $3,000 in early 1980s dollars. Then Brother brought out something similar for $300, and I jumped to buy it.)
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Apr-09 at 06:44 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Same here, I could see the need to reduce jamming. I used an old Royal manual (it dated back to the ‘30s, but was built like a tank so still worked into the ‘80s) and a Smith Corona electric (bought new in the ‘70s)
    We had a Smith Corona "portable" electric, also bought new in the '70s. It sat in a case and the whole thing weighed about 40 pounds, but it was "portable" because the case had a handle.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I once had a "portable" organ (as in musical instrument) from Yahama, the C605P. 132 pounds. But it came in a flight case with handles (not even wheels IIRC) so yep, "portable".

https://www.imoose.nl/electone/details/c-605p.jpg
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

I woke up this morning to a couple of deleted messages on Messenger that were allegedly "identified as abusive or . . . ." Whatever's after "or," I cannot see; the ellipsis is theirs. Clicking on it in Messenger takes me to the chat in my browser, where the messages don't show up at all. I saw one of them last night, and it wasn't abusive or anything else. I cannot get further information; saying there were technical issues works the same way as reporting a conversation, somehow. The system is really screwy and I don't like it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Same here, I could see the need to reduce jamming. I used an old Royal manual (it dated back to the ‘30s, but was built like a tank so still worked into the ‘80s) and a Smith Corona electric (bought new in the ‘70s) and occasionally jammed both, but it was easier with the Royal. You needed something like the IBM Selectric with its “golfball” to prevent jamming, but IBM patented their design. I used typewriters into the early ’80s and then I bought my first inexpensive computer printer with true typewriter output and never used a typewriter again. (Early printers that worked like typewriters like a Xerox model cost $3,000 in early 1980s dollars. Then Brother brought out something similar for $300, and I jumped to buy it.)
    I seem to recall that IBM's patent on the golfball led to the development of "daisy wheel" typwriters, which were better anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    We had a Smith Corona "portable" electric, also bought new in the '70s. It sat in a case and the whole thing weighed about 40 pounds, but it was "portable" because the case had a handle.
    We still own at least three typewriters, only two of which are actual antiques! I kind of wish I had my dad's Hermes 3000. He loved that thing, used it even when we gave him an electric.

Last week, tidying my old house (new owner takes possession this Thursday) I had some glass from an old wall lamp to throw out. I thought "better not let someone cut themselves" and before I put it in the rubbish bag I wrapped it carefully in a bunch of newspaper. I had packing materials near by so taped it up. And when cutting the tape sliced into my thumb.

Yesterday, checked and noticed a front tyre was at its wear limit. Resigned myself to buying two new front tyres as soon as I'd done with the house. Went out to buy some more packing boxes, and picked up a screw in an otherwise perfect back tyre; bad enough to need puncture repair.

Sigh.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

When reading your post, I got the feeling that your very appropriate avatar was saying a depressed "oh bother...".

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I hadn't heard that, but it kinda makes sense. Then again, it might be an urban legend along the lines of the QWERTY keyboard being designed to keep people from typing too fast and jamming the keys.
    The story I heard for the QWERT layout is just the opposite.

When you place your hand and fingers over the key board, the most frequently used letters in the English language are the easiest to access, so you can type faster.

Wouldn't know. I think I said before that I use the Biblical Method for typing ... "Seek, and ye shall find."
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I never received formal typing instruction but I amped up my WPM out of necessity by composing news stories, on deadline, on old manual and later electric typewriters. Thank God for white out. In a few short years I went from manual typewriters to computer terminals purpose-built for news editing.

In any event during a forced career lull in the 1981 recession I took a role in the typing pool at a large medical technology company. The only guy in a room full of women. The reasons they hired me were a) I knew how to use a Wang word processor and b) I could type 70 WPM. With four fingers and a thumb. Pretty accurately too.

There were a few occasions when I was banging away on the keyboard - and heard chuckling behind my chair.

ETA: My speed is now about 40 WPM. On a good day.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2021-Apr-10 at 07:09 PM.

I first learned at home on the two typewriters I mentioned earlier, then took a class in high school, and similarly was the only guy in the class. We were using Selectrics, but they were a bit worn and mine tended not to print on the right line. That was the extent of my formal training, but it turned out to be extremely useful because I learned at the university that I really liked programming computers and was pretty good at it. Iíd see others looking back and forth at the keyboard doing a hunt ní peck while I would just read my coding form and type. Much faster. In 1980 I bought an Apple II+ and got a lot more typing experience that way too and used a typing program for practice as well. I havenít formally had my typing speed measured since high school, but Iíve been told Iím pretty fast.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'm just an engineer, doing the things that engineers do. But one time I had to replace the guy who was writing a fat manual for us because he had RSI. He was working for an external company that did nothing but writing manuals. So I went to their place, sat behind his desk, laid the reference book to my left and started to type over what I was reading. The guy was observing me and after a few seconds he exclaimed: "you can type...BLIND?!" I had to focus to avoid saying my surprise that he couldn't out loud. I mean, the one big skill for his job would be typing blind, right?

By the way, I never took courses for it, just taught myself by practicing. I tend to use 8 fingers for letters plus left thumb for space, sometimes right thumb when my hands are positioned to the left. I never learned it in school, just taught myself by practicing. I don't know my WPM. It's quite possible that I use some fingers for only 1 letter. I don't do it consciously.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2021-Apr-10 at 07:07 PM.

Had to measure it. 74WPM without typos. In English on AZERTY.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2021-Apr-10 at 09:12 PM.

This really bugs me. This monstrosity is a current cover image for the Heinlein book Have Spacesuit — Will Travel:

https://www.amazon.com/Have-Space-Su.../dp/B004XD1NJW

It makes it look like some young kid in a happy go lucky comedy. The main character, Kip, is 18 years old, kidnapped by aliens planning on invading Earth, almost dies more than once, and ends up defending Earth in front of an alien council that debates whether to flip the Earth into another universe without the sun (seems we are advancing so fast they are concerned we could become a threat within a few thousand years). It also has a very serious discussion about an early spacesuit design. The spacesuit is practically a character in its own right and shouldn’t be shown like this.

Here is the early cover for the hardback:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_S...Space_suit.jpg

There are other good covers that show other main characters, like here if you scroll down you can see the cover for the magazine serialization:

https://www.sfbrp.com/archives/810

which includes Peewee, a heroic and an extremely intelligent girl that saves Kip’s life more than once (a pretty unusual character type for science fiction stories of that time, one of the things I really liked about the story).

What the heck are they thinking?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'm a Philistine. When I see Peewee, I think Total Annihilation and nothing else.

https://totalannihilation.fandom.com/wiki/Peewee

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    The story I heard for the QWERT layout is just the opposite.

When you place your hand and fingers over the key board, the most frequently used letters in the English language are the easiest to access, so you can type faster.

Wouldn't know. I think I said before that I use the Biblical Method for typing ... "Seek, and ye shall find."
    Wait, what? Q and @ are among the most used?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I never received formal typing instruction but I amped up my WPM out of necessity by composing news stories, on deadline, on old manual and later electric typewriters. Thank God for white out. In a few short years I went from manual typewriters to computer terminals purpose-built for news editing.

In any event during a forced career lull in the 1981 recession I took a role in the typing pool at a large medical technology company. The only guy in a room full of women. The reasons they hired me were a) I knew how to use a Wang word processor and b) I could type 70 WPM. With four fingers and a thumb. Pretty accurately too.

There were a few occasions when I was banging away on the keyboard - and heard chuckling behind my chair.

ETA: My speed is now about 40 WPM. On a good day.
    I first learned at home on the two typewriters I mentioned earlier, then took a class in high school, and similarly was the only guy in the class. We were using Selectrics, but they were a bit worn and mine tended not to print on the right line. That was the extent of my formal training, but it turned out to be extremely useful because I learned at the university that I really liked programming computers and was pretty good at it. I’d see others looking back and forth at the keyboard doing a hunt n’ peck while I would just read my coding form and type. Much faster. In 1980 I bought an Apple II+ and got a lot more typing experience that way too and used a typing program for practice as well. I haven’t formally had my typing speed measured since high school, but I’ve been told I’m pretty fast.
    I took typing in high school. I don't recall, but it was probably in the summer, because my mom thought it would be good for me and it got me out of the house.
    It was useful all through college. After graduation, while expecting to be drafted into the Army, I took a refresher course at the local community college. Then in basic training, I took a typing test and passed.
    The army made fun of us "clerks and jerks"; "chairborne rangers". But I stayed out of the infantry and am still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Wait, what? Q and @ are among the most used?
    No, which is why they're at the far left side, along with Z and X.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Except E is on the upper row, left middle finger, and S is on the home row but ring finger. And A is outside that, with the left pinky.

But when I got there,
    The shelving was bare,
    and so the poor kitties had none.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hubbard.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	26058
    I can't help suspecting as soon as the price goes back to seventy-five cents there'll be plenty.

Based on previous experience, I only give wet food on an irregular basis as an occasional treat (usually Iíll give her a can every few days, could be morning or evening, when I think about it, but sometimes longer if I havenít stocked up recently). Iím too familiar with cats that refuse dry food after getting used to the regular wet stuff, and instead will beg constantly if it isnít provided. This way, the cat is healthy and happy when she gets a treat but doesnít expect it as a regular thing.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I managed to actually sleep in later than I've been waking up most mornings--my body seems to believe that it needs to be up at seven on school mornings even though Zane doesn't have to be logged on until 8:40. This morning, I woke up early enough to catch last night's Last Week Tonight on YouTube before waking Zane up a little earlier than usual--meaning I was up more than half an hour later than usual--and have a nice, leisurely time to myself. And then Zane took longer than usual to get going and was late to class, ruining my good mood.

Also, Graham refuses to call the kids by their chosen nicknames. And his schedule is all wonky right now, because as soon as the scheduling person went on vacation, they decided they need to play with everyone's routine.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Also, Graham refuses to call the kids by their chosen nicknames.
    Doh! I was wondering who this Zane person was until this sentence reminded me. I guess I'm still getting the hang of 60.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Today is one those days where I can't chose what to do, should take a walk in the woods to find a missing object but feeling a bit tired for that, could go out and read a book or an article.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Today is one those days where I can't chose what to do [...]
    Like which font size to use in your post?
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Like which font size to use in your post?
    It changes depending on where I copy and paste the s from.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    It changes depending on where I copy and paste the s from.
    Copy it from an earlier post by someone else in the thread. That way you'll keep the typeface consistent, too.

Grant Hutchison

...or right click and select Paste as plain text (shortcut: CTRL+Shift+V)

I bugs me when I forget that and I paste in some bright red, bold, 48pt text in Comic Sans.

It bugs me that you have source material in Comic Sans readily available. The only acceptable excuse would be someone in your house being a primary school teacher, there it's obligatory.

Which reminds me: it bugs me that writing formal reports with a title screen using WordArt is frowned upon in professional environments this millennium. What happened to freedom of expression and sunset gradient filled warped shadow casting Times New Roman...