Page 441 of 447 FirstFirst ... 341391431439440441442443 ... LastLast
Results 13,201 to 13,230 of 13390

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

I did, until about three or four years ago. And a player! We offered the player and tapes free at the garage sale before moving, even had it playing Elvis. No takers.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

First day back in the office since March 19th.

Got back to my car to find I hadn't noticed that in the last week or so the work-provided reserved spot I've had for 3 years has turned into a public park - and I had a $65 fine for not paying.

Now chasing up with my boss/employer to find out what's going on.

Then get home to find I've missed a courier delivery. Timing! Today?! And their stupid website says the code on my "sorry we missed you" card does not exist. (Possibly too soon to check.)

Sigh. Should have stayed home.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

I think the classical version of the phrase was "I should'a stood in bed."

Yep!

The parcel I missed is probably the dozen beers (worth about the same as that fine!) my landlord sent me to say thanks for helping him get some paperwork sorted for the Government.

By the time I get them, I'll need them.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    First day back in the office since March 19th.

Got back to my car to find I hadn't noticed that in the last week or so the work-provided reserved spot I've had for 3 years has turned into a public park - and I had a $65 fine for not paying.

Now chasing up with my boss/employer to find out what's going on.

Then get home to find I've missed a courier delivery. Timing! Today?! And their stupid website says the code on my "sorry we missed you" card does not exist. (Possibly too soon to check.)

Sigh. Should have stayed home.
    In the "separated by a common language" department, to us a "public park" is an area of green within a city, where you go for recreation. A "parking lot" on the other hand....

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    In the "separated by a common language" department, to us a "public park" is an area of green within a city, where you go for recreation. A "parking lot" on the other hand....
    Ah, pzkpfw's problem is now considerably less astonishing to me. Hereabouts, too, it would be difficult to miss the fact that your reserved parking slot had been replaced by grass and trees.

Grant Hutchison

Geez, I'm always working out what you folk write from context (and watching T.V. from both the U.S. and U.K.)!

And I think we've been through this (2018) when I noted my crash in this park.

It's a multi-level parking building (that was used for the movie "Ghost in the shell", not that I could find it). Each spot/place/park has a sign to indicate if it's reserved or open to public use. The signs are even different colours (red, green), but I didn't notice in the dark when I parked.

My boss is chasing up with the people who arrange this stuff to find out what's up.

A small irony is that on my way to my car I passed a homewares shop and bought a mortar and pestle; having needed one for a while. Store was closing down so got it for half price. Was quite happy to save that money ... which turns out to be $5 less than the ticket I found on my car.

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

They unpaved a parking lot and put up a paradise?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2020-Jun-17 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Geez, I'm always working out what you folk write from context (and watching T.V. from both the U.S. and U.K.)!

And I think we've been through this (2018) when I noted my crash in this park.

It's a multi-level parking building (that was used for the movie "Ghost in the shell", not that I could find it). Each spot/place/park has a sign to indicate if it's reserved or open to public use. The signs are even different colours (red, green), but I didn't notice in the dark when I parked.

My boss is chasing up with the people who arrange this stuff to find out what's up.

A small irony is that on my way to my car I passed a homewares shop and bought a mortar and pestle; having needed one for a while. Store was closing down so got it for half price. Was quite happy to save that money ... which turns out to be $5 less than the ticket I found on my car.
    Ah, a "parking garage" then!
    I've frequently heard "car park" to denote a parking lot or structure; but have not previously seen "park" to refer to an individual space.

I finished reading something on my phone this morning and was going to start Nicholas Monsarrat's The Cruel Sea, only to find that what I've got is a nonfiction called The Real Cruel Sea, by another author. The Cruel Sea isn't available on Kindle.

I finished reading something on my phone this morning and was going to start Nicholas Monsarrat's The Cruel Sea, only to find that what I've got is a nonfiction called The Real Cruel Sea, by another author. The Cruel Sea isn't available on Kindle.
    Well, I have it on my Kindle!
    The same edition seems to be available in the USA: https://www.amazon.com/Cruel-Sea-Nic.../dp/B006O5KP8C

Grant Hutchison

Thanks! But "This title is not currently available for purchase." At least that's here in the USA, is it different in the UK?

Thanks! But "This title is not currently available for purchase." At least that's here in the USA, is it different in the UK?
    Seems to be. I just bought it again from the UK page using my wife's account and her tablet--it downloaded and opened normally. Then I "returned" it thirty seconds later for a refund.
    (The US page just tells me to go to the UK page if I want to download the book.)

ETA: Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be lendable.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Jun-18 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Seems to be. I just bought it again from the UK page using my wife's account and her tablet--it downloaded and opened normally. Then I "returned" it thirty seconds later for a refund.
    (The US page just tells me to go to the UK page if I want to download the book.)

ETA: Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be lendable.

Grant Hutchison
    I tried going to the UK page. After a hassle getting signed in, they wouldn't sell it to me but told me to go to the US page. I think I'll just buy a physical book!

Today's little twofer:
    1. When I was out watering the little garden yesterday, I noticed the gate by the old garage needed a bit of work due to screws pulling out. So I went down and replaced them with through bolts, which are a far better means of attaching things. And then I couldn't find any common-as-dirt 1/4-20 nuts. There is not the slightest doubt that I have literally hundreds of them, but my old shop and garage are in such disarray that I can't find anything. Now I have a project for tomorrow.
    2. I wanted a snack so opened a jar of salsa and bag of tortilla chips. Wow that seems bland -- oops, I accidentally bought the mild stuff! Easily fixed, I just added some hot sauce.

I’m not sure if this bugs or amuses me, but I’ve been seeing some really odd advertisements during my Internet travels.

Today, while reading some political news, there was an add for a device to “Remove medium to fine tramp metal contaminants from your gravity free-fall granular plastics”.

Last time I checked, I didn’t have any free-fall granular plastics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I’m not sure if this bugs or amuses me, but I’ve been seeing some really odd advertisements during my Internet travels.

Today, while reading some political news, there was an add for a device to “Remove medium to fine tramp metal contaminants from your gravity free-fall granular plastics”.

I think you'll find you're wrong about that. The Internet knows much more about you than you do.

Grant Hutchison

Today's little twofer:
    1. When I was out watering the little garden yesterday, I noticed the gate by the old garage needed a bit of work due to screws pulling out. So I went down and replaced them with through bolts, which are a far better means of attaching things. And then I couldn't find any common-as-dirt 1/4-20 nuts. There is not the slightest doubt that I have literally hundreds of them, but my old shop and garage are in such disarray that I can't find anything. Now I have a project for tomorrow.
    I am pleased to report I found my nuts!

I first encountered the term "tramp iron" when I worked for a company making forest products machinery and read some of the industry publications. It's kind of a big deal to them. But I still don't think yours beats the ones Tapatalk keeps feeding me for cosmetic surgeons in Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I think you'll find you're wrong about that. The Internet knows much more about you than you do. Grant Hutchison
    Nothing could punish the internet more than to know so much about me.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Today's little twofer:
    2. I wanted a snack so opened a jar of salsa and bag of tortilla chips. Wow that seems bland -- oops, I accidentally bought the mild stuff! Easily fixed, I just added some hot sauce.
    Ah, not so common here but I had the same problem. I have a large box of M8 bolts, various lengths, for odd jobs, but fixing a gate, I had to scrabble for M8 nuts and ended two short after extensive stirring.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

If you have a camera tripod, I can guarantee you've got 1/4-20 threads! That's the standard tripod mount on cameras.

I got up this morning, wandered into the office, raised the laptop lid, and discovered a BSOD! I hadn't seen one of those in years!

The tenants' union I contacted yesterday still hasn't gotten back to me. I really want to be sure I'm reading this law correctly.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I got up this morning, wandered into the office, raised the laptop lid, and discovered a BSOD! I hadn't seen one of those in years!
    I had my first couple for a number oyears last week. Supposedly a 'memory' problem but multiple checks have revealed nothing untoward so far.

I have two brown spots on my lawn because I set out two lawn-waste bags of grass clippings near the curb and they began composting before the truck came to pick them up.

We've got a neighbors large bush fallen over on our lawn. She says she's arranged to have it removed, but it's been there more than a week. Maybe I can get the garden rabbits to eat it.

My wife has a decorative rooster thingy with several LED lights that sits behind the stove in the kitchen. It isn't nearly as ugly as you might think.

Anyway, it fell over and stopped working. Replacing the batteries didn't help, so she opened the back to find that a mystery electronic device had broken free, a tiny circuit board was dangling, and three wires were disconnected.
    It wasn't obvious to her where the wires went. Touching one loose wire to the mystery device illuminated the LEDs, even though the batteries were disconnected (one of the disconnected wires).
    Okay, that thing contains a capacitor, which is providing energy for the LEDs. I'll wait a while for it to discharge and then try to figure where the other wires go.

Two hours later, with no batteries, the LEDs are still illuminated.
    There is only one conclusion I can come to. I am in the movie "Inception."

My wife has a decorative rooster thingy with several LED lights that sits behind the stove in the kitchen. It isn't nearly as ugly as you might think.

Anyway, it fell over and stopped working. Replacing the batteries didn't help, so she opened the back to find that a mystery electronic device had broken free, a tiny circuit board was dangling, and three wires were disconnected.
    It wasn't obvious to her where the wires went. Touching one loose wire to the mystery device illuminated the LEDs, even though the batteries were disconnected (one of the disconnected wires).
    Okay, that thing contains a capacitor, which is providing energy for the LEDs. I'll wait a while for it to discharge and then try to figure where the other wires go.

Two hours later, with no batteries, the LEDs are still illuminated.
    There is only one conclusion I can come to. I am in the movie "Inception."
    You've clearly discovered a new source of unlimited power. Please use it for good.

This morning, the LEDs had gone off, and wIth them my Nobel-winning discovery

Software that lets me click the "new library variable set" button.

And lets me click the "add row" button multiple times, and enter all the values.

And after I do all that and click the "save" button, then it tells me I don't have permission to make new library variable sets.