Page 441 of 447 FirstFirst ... 341391431439440441442443 ... LastLast
Results 13,201 to 13,230 of 13390

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

  1. #13201
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,695
    I did, until about three or four years ago. And a player! We offered the player and tapes free at the garage sale before moving, even had it playing Elvis. No takers.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  2. #13202
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    11,086
    First day back in the office since March 19th.


    Got back to my car to find I hadn't noticed that in the last week or so the work-provided reserved spot I've had for 3 years has turned into a public park - and I had a $65 fine for not paying.

    Now chasing up with my boss/employer to find out what's going on.


    Then get home to find I've missed a courier delivery. Timing! Today?! And their stupid website says the code on my "sorry we missed you" card does not exist. (Possibly too soon to check.)


    Sigh. Should have stayed home.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  3. #13203
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,992
    I think the classical version of the phrase was "I should'a stood in bed."

  4. #13204
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    11,086
    Yep!

    The parcel I missed is probably the dozen beers (worth about the same as that fine!) my landlord sent me to say thanks for helping him get some paperwork sorted for the Government.

    By the time I get them, I'll need them.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  5. #13205
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,695
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    First day back in the office since March 19th.


    Got back to my car to find I hadn't noticed that in the last week or so the work-provided reserved spot I've had for 3 years has turned into a public park - and I had a $65 fine for not paying.

    Now chasing up with my boss/employer to find out what's going on.


    Then get home to find I've missed a courier delivery. Timing! Today?! And their stupid website says the code on my "sorry we missed you" card does not exist. (Possibly too soon to check.)


    Sigh. Should have stayed home.
    In the "separated by a common language" department, to us a "public park" is an area of green within a city, where you go for recreation. A "parking lot" on the other hand....
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  6. #13206
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    In the "separated by a common language" department, to us a "public park" is an area of green within a city, where you go for recreation. A "parking lot" on the other hand....
    Ah, pzkpfw's problem is now considerably less astonishing to me. Hereabouts, too, it would be difficult to miss the fact that your reserved parking slot had been replaced by grass and trees.

    Grant Hutchison

  7. #13207
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    11,086
    Geez, I'm always working out what you folk write from context (and watching T.V. from both the U.S. and U.K.)!

    And I think we've been through this (2018) when I noted my crash in this park.

    It's a multi-level parking building (that was used for the movie "Ghost in the shell", not that I could find it). Each spot/place/park has a sign to indicate if it's reserved or open to public use. The signs are even different colours (red, green), but I didn't notice in the dark when I parked.

    My boss is chasing up with the people who arrange this stuff to find out what's up.


    A small irony is that on my way to my car I passed a homewares shop and bought a mortar and pestle; having needed one for a while. Store was closing down so got it for half price. Was quite happy to save that money ... which turns out to be $5 less than the ticket I found on my car.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

  8. #13208
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NEOTP Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,201

    Really trivial stuff that bugs you

    They unpaved a parking lot and put up a paradise?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2020-Jun-17 at 12:03 PM.

  9. #13209
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,695
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Geez, I'm always working out what you folk write from context (and watching T.V. from both the U.S. and U.K.)!

    And I think we've been through this (2018) when I noted my crash in this park.

    It's a multi-level parking building (that was used for the movie "Ghost in the shell", not that I could find it). Each spot/place/park has a sign to indicate if it's reserved or open to public use. The signs are even different colours (red, green), but I didn't notice in the dark when I parked.

    My boss is chasing up with the people who arrange this stuff to find out what's up.


    A small irony is that on my way to my car I passed a homewares shop and bought a mortar and pestle; having needed one for a while. Store was closing down so got it for half price. Was quite happy to save that money ... which turns out to be $5 less than the ticket I found on my car.
    Ah, a "parking garage" then!
    I've frequently heard "car park" to denote a parking lot or structure; but have not previously seen "park" to refer to an individual space.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  10. #13210
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,695
    I finished reading something on my phone this morning and was going to start Nicholas Monsarrat's The Cruel Sea, only to find that what I've got is a nonfiction called The Real Cruel Sea, by another author. The Cruel Sea isn't available on Kindle.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  11. #13211
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I finished reading something on my phone this morning and was going to start Nicholas Monsarrat's The Cruel Sea, only to find that what I've got is a nonfiction called The Real Cruel Sea, by another author. The Cruel Sea isn't available on Kindle.
    Well, I have it on my Kindle!
    The same edition seems to be available in the USA: https://www.amazon.com/Cruel-Sea-Nic.../dp/B006O5KP8C

    Grant Hutchison

  12. #13212
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,695
    Thanks! But "This title is not currently available for purchase." At least that's here in the USA, is it different in the UK?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  13. #13213
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Thanks! But "This title is not currently available for purchase." At least that's here in the USA, is it different in the UK?
    Seems to be. I just bought it again from the UK page using my wife's account and her tablet--it downloaded and opened normally. Then I "returned" it thirty seconds later for a refund.
    (The US page just tells me to go to the UK page if I want to download the book.)

    ETA: Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be lendable.

    Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2020-Jun-18 at 03:47 PM.

  14. #13214
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,695
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Seems to be. I just bought it again from the UK page using my wife's account and her tablet--it downloaded and opened normally. Then I "returned" it thirty seconds later for a refund.
    (The US page just tells me to go to the UK page if I want to download the book.)

    ETA: Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be lendable.

    Grant Hutchison
    I tried going to the UK page. After a hassle getting signed in, they wouldn't sell it to me but told me to go to the US page. I think I'll just buy a physical book!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  15. #13215
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,695
    Today's little twofer:
    1. When I was out watering the little garden yesterday, I noticed the gate by the old garage needed a bit of work due to screws pulling out. So I went down and replaced them with through bolts, which are a far better means of attaching things. And then I couldn't find any common-as-dirt 1/4-20 nuts. There is not the slightest doubt that I have literally hundreds of them, but my old shop and garage are in such disarray that I can't find anything. Now I have a project for tomorrow.
    2. I wanted a snack so opened a jar of salsa and bag of tortilla chips. Wow that seems bland -- oops, I accidentally bought the mild stuff! Easily fixed, I just added some hot sauce.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  16. #13216
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    5,236
    I’m not sure if this bugs or amuses me, but I’ve been seeing some really odd advertisements during my Internet travels.

    Today, while reading some political news, there was an add for a device to “Remove medium to fine tramp metal contaminants from your gravity free-fall granular plastics”.

    Last time I checked, I didn’t have any free-fall granular plastics.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  17. #13217
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,399
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I’m not sure if this bugs or amuses me, but I’ve been seeing some really odd advertisements during my Internet travels.

    Today, while reading some political news, there was an add for a device to “Remove medium to fine tramp metal contaminants from your gravity free-fall granular plastics”.

    Last time I checked, I didn’t have any free-fall granular plastics.
    I think you'll find you're wrong about that. The Internet knows much more about you than you do.

    Grant Hutchison

  18. #13218
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Today's little twofer:
    1. When I was out watering the little garden yesterday, I noticed the gate by the old garage needed a bit of work due to screws pulling out. So I went down and replaced them with through bolts, which are a far better means of attaching things. And then I couldn't find any common-as-dirt 1/4-20 nuts. There is not the slightest doubt that I have literally hundreds of them, but my old shop and garage are in such disarray that I can't find anything. Now I have a project for tomorrow.
    I am pleased to report I found my nuts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I’m not sure if this bugs or amuses me, but I’ve been seeing some really odd advertisements during my Internet travels.

    Today, while reading some political news, there was an add for a device to “Remove medium to fine tramp metal contaminants from your gravity free-fall granular plastics”.

    Last time I checked, I didn’t have any free-fall granular plastics.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I first encountered the term "tramp iron" when I worked for a company making forest products machinery and read some of the industry publications. It's kind of a big deal to them. But I still don't think yours beats the ones Tapatalk keeps feeding me for cosmetic surgeons in Korea.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  19. #13219
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4,916
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I think you'll find you're wrong about that. The Internet knows much more about you than you do. Grant Hutchison
    Nothing could punish the internet more than to know so much about me.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

  20. #13220
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    9,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Today's little twofer:
    1. When I was out watering the little garden yesterday, I noticed the gate by the old garage needed a bit of work due to screws pulling out. So I went down and replaced them with through bolts, which are a far better means of attaching things. And then I couldn't find any common-as-dirt 1/4-20 nuts. There is not the slightest doubt that I have literally hundreds of them, but my old shop and garage are in such disarray that I can't find anything. Now I have a project for tomorrow.
    2. I wanted a snack so opened a jar of salsa and bag of tortilla chips. Wow that seems bland -- oops, I accidentally bought the mild stuff! Easily fixed, I just added some hot sauce.
    Ah, not so common here but I had the same problem. I have a large box of M8 bolts, various lengths, for odd jobs, but fixing a gate, I had to scrabble for M8 nuts and ended two short after extensive stirring.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  21. #13221
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,695
    If you have a camera tripod, I can guarantee you've got 1/4-20 threads! That's the standard tripod mount on cameras.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  22. #13222
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,695
    I got up this morning, wandered into the office, raised the laptop lid, and discovered a BSOD! I hadn't seen one of those in years!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  23. #13223
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Posts
    31,354
    The tenants' union I contacted yesterday still hasn't gotten back to me. I really want to be sure I'm reading this law correctly.
    _____________________________________________
    Gillian

    "Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

    "You can't erase icing."

    "I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

  24. #13224
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I got up this morning, wandered into the office, raised the laptop lid, and discovered a BSOD! I hadn't seen one of those in years!
    I had my first couple for a number oyears last week. Supposedly a 'memory' problem but multiple checks have revealed nothing untoward so far.

  25. #13225
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    5,236
    I have two brown spots on my lawn because I set out two lawn-waste bags of grass clippings near the curb and they began composting before the truck came to pick them up.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  26. #13226
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,695
    We've got a neighbors large bush fallen over on our lawn. She says she's arranged to have it removed, but it's been there more than a week. Maybe I can get the garden rabbits to eat it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  27. #13227
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    5,236
    My wife has a decorative rooster thingy with several LED lights that sits behind the stove in the kitchen. It isn't nearly as ugly as you might think.

    Anyway, it fell over and stopped working. Replacing the batteries didn't help, so she opened the back to find that a mystery electronic device had broken free, a tiny circuit board was dangling, and three wires were disconnected.
    It wasn't obvious to her where the wires went. Touching one loose wire to the mystery device illuminated the LEDs, even though the batteries were disconnected (one of the disconnected wires).
    Okay, that thing contains a capacitor, which is providing energy for the LEDs. I'll wait a while for it to discharge and then try to figure where the other wires go.

    Two hours later, with no batteries, the LEDs are still illuminated.
    There is only one conclusion I can come to. I am in the movie "Inception."
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  28. #13228
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    15,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    My wife has a decorative rooster thingy with several LED lights that sits behind the stove in the kitchen. It isn't nearly as ugly as you might think.

    Anyway, it fell over and stopped working. Replacing the batteries didn't help, so she opened the back to find that a mystery electronic device had broken free, a tiny circuit board was dangling, and three wires were disconnected.
    It wasn't obvious to her where the wires went. Touching one loose wire to the mystery device illuminated the LEDs, even though the batteries were disconnected (one of the disconnected wires).
    Okay, that thing contains a capacitor, which is providing energy for the LEDs. I'll wait a while for it to discharge and then try to figure where the other wires go.

    Two hours later, with no batteries, the LEDs are still illuminated.
    There is only one conclusion I can come to. I am in the movie "Inception."
    You've clearly discovered a new source of unlimited power. Please use it for good.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  29. #13229
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    No longer near Grover's Mill
    Posts
    5,236
    This morning, the LEDs had gone off, and wIth them my Nobel-winning discovery


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

  30. #13230
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    11,086
    Software that lets me click the "new library variable set" button.

    And lets me click the "add row" button multiple times, and enter all the values.

    And after I do all that and click the "save" button, then it tells me I don't have permission to make new library variable sets.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Similar Threads

  1. Trivial coincidences from everyday life.
    By Buttercup in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 2012-Nov-02, 09:08 PM
  2. Trivial Relief:
    By Moose in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 2006-Jul-19, 01:20 PM
  3. Bad Astronomy in Trivial Pursuit, Genus 5 Edition
    By tracer in forum Small Media at Large
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 2005-May-12, 01:52 PM
  4. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-29, 01:44 PM
  5. Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...
    By Brady Yoon in forum Off-Topic Babbling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2005-Apr-28, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •