Page 442 of 447 FirstFirst ... 342392432440441442443444 ... LastLast
Results 13,231 to 13,260 of 13390

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Speaking of software...

There's a problem with the rate of response in functions like the up & down arrows to scroll through a long document or speaker volume adjustments or monitor brightness adjustments. If you just hold the button down, the rate of change you get often makes a sudden jump to ludicrous speed and goes flying past the point where you wanted to stop. Solution: don't hold it; tap it repeatedly, so it will only change one increment at a time and you can control how many. But programmers have decided in the last several years that it's bad to let users have any way at all to control how fast these kinds of things change. Only superhypertranswarp can be allowed! So now they've made it so that even if you are tapping the button instead of holding it, these things will switch to jumping multiple increments of change per tap after the first few taps. There's no possible excuse for this; it can't be anything but the programmers just being pure evil. (And it's the same with another thing I brought up earlier in this thread: corporate entities with a custom version of Windows where one of the functions they've locked out from most users is mouse speed, with the one universal allowable mouse speed of course always being Speedy Gonzalez.)

The backspace key in Tapatalk starts out fine, but if you want to delete several words, it will unexpectedly jump to warp speed and delete several sentences in the blink of an eye.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The backspace key in Tapatalk starts out fine, but if you want to delete several words, it will unexpectedly jump to warp speed and delete several sentences in the blink of an eye.

I think that is true of the iOS user interface in general. Does the same for me whenever I’m editing any text.

I suppose it's trivial, but I'm really quite annoyed that Microsoft has gone and installed Edge on our computers without asking permission. Bill really means it when he says "My Computer".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It's even on mine, and I still run a version of Windows that no longer updates.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    It's even on mine, and I still run a version of Windows that no longer updates.
    Yes, same here.

There is an electronics simulation tool that I use for work. Overall, it is pretty good, but has an annoying feature.
    You can create a cursor and place it anywhere on the waveform display. Cursors are yellow in color.
    By adding multiple cursors, you can make some valuable measurements.

Sometimes, you want to "lock" a cursor in place so that it can be used as a reference point.
    Locked cursors are red.

There are two little icons at the bottom of the screen. The yellow one locks the cursor, and the red one deletes it.
    So, when you want the cursor to turn red, you press the yellow button, NOT the red one. Bad things happen when you hit the red one.

Of course my brain thinks "I want the cursor to turn red, I'll hit the red button".
    Several of my coworkers claim to have the same problem.

The story goes that the old swing-wing F-111 Aardvark, at least in some stage of its evolution, had a big lever that operated the wings. Pushing the lever forward swept the wings back; pulling it back moved them forward. Test pilot George Marrett described how pilots would stick a label on the lever reading "Forward goes back, back goes forward."

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The story goes that the old swing-wing F-111 Aardvark, at least in some stage of its evolution, had a big lever that operated the wings. Pushing the lever forward swept the wings back; pulling it back moved them forward. Test pilot George Marrett described how pilots would stick a label on the lever reading "Forward goes back, back goes forward."

Grant Hutchison
    They were called "The Pig" in RAAF service and were a frequent and favourite attraction at various festivals doing their "dump and burn" party trick. I saw one do it at night in Perth and it was an amazing sight.

At night over Brisbane from about 33 secs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Vq3EyRI9w

And the last one ever at day after a 'touch and go".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpPEdOMSIgQ

Grant Hutchison
    Reminds me of the scene in the movie "Independence Day" when Will Smith sticks the post-it note on the throttle of the alien ship, with forward and backward.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Grant Hutchison
    When my parents were living we drove to Tacoma from our home in Everett (both in the state of Washington) very regularly. They lived in the north end of the city. The exit we took, near the Tacoma Dome, started out as multiple lanes, but then split, with two lanes going into downtown and one, that looked like an offramp, to stay on that route. A bit later there was another off-ramp into the other end of downtown that split off to the right then ducked under the road to go up to the left. Finally, approaching Tacoma's Old Town, there was another split, with the right lane going up the 30th St hill and the left climbing up into an overpass that then crossed over 30th St and the RR tracks to continue along the waterfront.
    So it was get off to stay on, left to go right, and down to go up.

Grant Hutchison
    Oh, a bit like sailing, then! (Right goes left, left goes right.) ;-)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Port your helm!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Oh, a bit like sailing, then! (Right goes left, left goes right.) ;-)
    To tack into the wind, “Helm’s alee!”

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    When my parents were living we drove to Tacoma from our home in Everett (both in the state of Washington) very regularly. They lived in the north end of the city. The exit we took, near the Tacoma Dome, started out as multiple lanes, but then split, with two lanes going into downtown and one, that looked like an offramp, to stay on that route. A bit later there was another off-ramp into the other end of downtown that split off to the right then ducked under the road to go up to the left. Finally, approaching Tacoma's Old Town, there was another split, with the right lane going up the 30th St hill and the left climbing up into an overpass that then crossed over 30th St and the RR tracks to continue along the waterfront.
    So it was get off to stay on, left to go right, and down to go up.
    That reminds me of some of the confusing expressways here in greater Washington. For some 40 years, if I was headed north on I-95 south of the Beltway and wanted it go right on the Beltway toward the south side of Alexandria and beyond, I kept right and took a simple right-hand exit ramp to go that way. When it came time to rebuild that interchange, that part of the Beltway had been redesignated as I-95/495 and the original I-95 from the Beltway into Washington had been changed to I-395. This was because the freeways did not go continuously through Washington, and that southeast side of the Beltway had evolved into the preferred route to Baltimore and New York from points south. VDOT in their infinitesimal wisdom chose to let the nomenclature drive the decisions on configuring the lanes and ramps. Now, to go to the right on the Beltway, you keep left to be in the correct lanes. Keeping right is treated as an exit onto I-395, which is really just a continuation of the original expressway into Washington which was built back in the 1940s.

I feel bad for visitors from Europe, where keeping right except when passing is strictly enforced in many places. On our roads a right lane often becomes exit-only with very little warning.

"Group ads for fewer interruptions" had gotten really old, really fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    People who use double negatives tend to irritate me greatly. For instance, a couple of weeks ago I was messing the reclining mechanism on one of the seats in the boat and I couldn't get it to go back right. My dad finally fixes it and says, "Son, don't never do that again!" Technically, that meant I am supposed to that again.
    OK, just have to reply to this well over a decade later, because reasons!

Because my wife likes them (I kinda do too), we have Il Divo playing on our car stereo. About the second song that comes up includes the line "Hoy no tengo nada."
    Literally, "Today I don't have nothing." Apparently it's ok in Spanish.
    For some reason my High School Spanish (El Espanol de escuela alta!) has stuck with me for 55 years. I've been talking to the kitties in it lately. "Mi gatita se llama Conejita!"

I suppose it's trivial, but I'm really quite annoyed that Microsoft has gone and installed Edge on our computers without asking permission. Bill really means it when he says "My Computer".
    This post comes to you via MS Edge.
    I needed to look at something on the newer computer because a website didn't like the ad-blocker on the one I normally use.
    So I sat down, switched the user to me, and clicked on the Chrome icon.
    Edge started up instead. I tried to close it. It wouldn't. I finally got it to ask me if I would like to import my favorites from Chrome. Which I could see in the background it had already done.
    Meanwhile Google knows where I'm sitting to within about 20 feet.
    Privacy is dead.

Privacy was dead a long time but in the past you had gossips and busybodies, now google, apple and microsoft.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I should have giving up on any interest in astronomy but right now I reading a paper on a new type of planet discovered. I should of just be interested in getting drunk.

Why give up an interest in astronomy? Personally, I almost always prefer learning something new and interesting about astronomy over drinking, and while I decided about forty years ago I was going to take a different path than professional astronomy, I have no intention of ever avoiding astronomy.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

OK, just have to reply to this well over a decade later, because reasons!

Because my wife likes them (I kinda do too), we have Il Divo playing on our car stereo. About the second song that comes up includes the line "Hoy no tengo nada."
    Literally, "Today I don't have nothing." Apparently it's ok in Spanish.
    For some reason my High School Spanish (El Espanol de escuela alta!) has stuck with me for 55 years. I've been talking to the kitties in it lately. "Mi gatita se llama Conejita!"
    Some languages do accept double negatives.

Which is where we get the old joke wherein a Professor states that while in some languages a double-negative is a positive, and in some languages a double-negative is a negative, there are no languages in which a double-positive is a negative. A student from the back of the room replies, "Yeah, right."
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Grant Hutchison
    I guess rowboats are a bit like that too, as long as you’re sitting facing the stern.

As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Why give up an interest in astronomy? Personally, I almost always prefer learning something new and interesting about astronomy over drinking, and while I decided about forty years ago I was going to take a different path than professional astronomy, I have no intention of ever avoiding astronomy.
    Just venting, i will never give it up.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Some languages do accept double negatives.
    Actually, I would go further. It's more than just accept. In Romance languages in general, the correct usage is to use double negatives. So in French the correct way to say "I don't know anything" is "Je ne sais rien," where "ne" is no and "rien" is nothing, so literally it means, "I don't know nothing." And that's not just accepted, it's the correct way to say it. I don't think actually that in Spanish or French there is a word that means "anything." When I try it in Google translate it gives me "n'importe quoi," which means, "it doesn't matter what."

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Which is where we get the old joke wherein a Professor states that while in some languages a double-negative is a positive, and in some languages a double-negative is a negative, there are no languages in which a double-positive is a negative. A student from the back of the room replies, "Yeah, right."
    It's kind of cute, but it's not really a double positive, it's more like emphasis. Because actually, just the word "right" by itself can either mean "yes" or "no." Just like the word "great" can, depending on the tone of voice, mean "great" or "terrible." It's actually quite a common phenomenon. In Japanese there is a word "yabai," which originally meant "bad" or "dangerous," but can also mean "great." Also, in the UK at least, "wicked" can mean (or at least used to be able to mean" "great".
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Also, in the UK at least, "wicked" can mean (or at least used to be able to mean" "great".
    Boston, too.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Also, in the UK at least, "wicked" can mean (or at least used to be able to mean" "great".
    The Young People are saying "sick" these days. (Or, probably not any more, since the usage has been around for a few years to my knowledge.)

Grant Hutchison

Ron Weasley in Harry Potter says "wicked" quite a lot, IIRC. Maybe that's led to a surge in popularity.

Back to things that bug me, I went out yesterday to pick the first crop of my lettuce, only to find it had nearly all been eaten. Probably rabbits, although I had left the gate open so it could have been deer.

Aargh! My browser just "updated" (unasked and unwanted) to a new system, and somehow in the process I lost all my bookmarks.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Got the same update and for a while it kept going "not responding" seems to be getting better.