Page 412 of 420 FirstFirst ... 312362402410411412413414 ... LastLast
Results 12,331 to 12,360 of 12583

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Houston … Gulf Coast … no basements but houses usually have some sort of attic. (We have one but it's for ductwork, not intended for storage.)

Our house is two story, but the county tax website lists it as single story with a finished attic. Houses with the same floorplan list as two story with about one-third more sqft. I should correct them but our taxes are based on square footage.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Mrs Extravoice and I have decided that it is time to purchase new smartphones hand-held computers. The current ones are struggling a bit, and will no longer be supported with security updates in the near future.
    Since this is a big expense, and with everyone worried about fraud this time of year, we decided to call the credit card company and inform them that we would make a large purchase later in the day.

After struggling through an automated system and waiting on hold for about 15 minutes, the credit company disconnected the call.
    The exact scenario was repeated a second time.

At this point, we called company who issues the other credit card we we own, and quickly alerted them to the situation.
    The charge went to that company.

Sadly, the first company will never know they lost the transaction and associated fees.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Obviously trivial in the big scheme of things but not at all trivial to me during the ordeal.

We were having company yesterday so my wife decided to run the dust mop under the bed. That would be the fancy split-king* individually adjustable bed we got a year ago when we moved into the new house. The one we weren't even going to make yesterday anyhow, just shutting the bedroom door.

About an hour and a half ago she called me into the bedroom. Her side of the adjustable bed wouldn't. The remote was still lighting up, but I changed the batteries anyhow. No difference. The bed has convenience outlets on the side, into which the electric blanket is plugged. The blanket worked, so the bed was getting power. I lay down flat on the floor, knowing it would be hard to get up.** There's quite a lot of claptrap under there, including multiple heavy black cords. Eventually I found the cord to some sort of power supply, not plugged into anything. I plugged it into where the blanket plugs and it worked. But that wasn't where it came from.

I then had to go around on my side, put the adjustment all the way up, and see if I could see where it went. All I could see that it was around behind a silver can thing that I assume is a motor. Back to her side. With the plug into the side of the bed, we put the head all the way up. Now I could finally see that there's basically an outlet strip ziptied to the bedframe, with a couple of things plugged into it. Fine, now all I had to do was get the plug back in. That involved stipping the bed completely, moving it out from the wall so I could get in by the head end, and reach under about four different ways, repositioning the plug so I could get it from the next horrible little access. At last I got it in. Then we had to remake the bed. At least we get clean sheets tonight.

If she mentions dusting under there again I'm going to threaten going up on the roof to do Christmas lights.

*Split King: Basically two TwinXL beds (XL: Extra Long) side by side, with individual bottom sheets and a single king size top sheet and blanket.
    ** It was. Each of the seven or eight times I had to do it. My back hurts.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

For the first time in a long tome I got some sardines. Instead of their logo and stuff printed on the can it is wrapped in plastic and after taking the plastic off found out that there was a hole in the can and had to throw it out. Almost had a job at the factory these ones came from but the interviewer didn't think I would be fast enough.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Treb, if you ever have to do that level of moving things around again, I know a very nice young lady in Port Townsend who might be willing to stop by and be young for you.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Treb, if you ever have to do that level of moving things around again, I know a very nice young lady in Port Townsend who might be willing to stop by and be young for you.
    Thanks, I'll have to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    For the first time in a long tome I got some sardines. Instead of their logo and stuff printed on the can it is wrapped in plastic and after taking the plastic off found out that there was a hole in the can and had to throw it out. Almost had a job at the factory these ones came from but the interviewer didn't think I would be fast enough.
    Well, I can understand their position. You need to move really fast if you're going to get the plastic wrapped around the can before the contents leak out the hole.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I'm rich!

Well, I have gout. (Dr. Google self diagnosis.)

It turns out my food the day before the attack was pretty much totally made up of things to avoid. Like herring.

As painful as when my appendix went bad, just more localised.

Not being able to walk is the worst thing. Dietary changes implemented.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I'm rich!

It turns out my food the day before the attack was pretty much totally made up of things to avoid. Like herring.

Are you getting medical advice on how to manage the acute pain and swelling? Worth doing.

Grant Hutchison

Yep, if not better on Monday I'll be reminding my doctor I exist.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Hey pzk, could you spot me a loan?

My son in law has gout. So, Apparently, heís rich, too. He hides his wealth very well

Seriously, he doesnít usually eat the things that are associated with it, but that was the diagnosis. Fortunately, the flare-ups are infrequent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I'm rich!

I'm sorry, gout is horrible. But it does give me a chance to mention my hero at work.

She is very overweight and is doing everything she can to melt the pounds away. By my estimation, she is doing very well. She also keeps me inline by keeping me away from bad foods and yells at me if I think about skipping a doctor's visit. She has probably lost 100 lbs in the past two years and by extension has helped me lose 25 lbs with her recipes and the challenge to keep up with her. But about once a year, she ends up with a gout flare up. There is no knowing the cause, short of seeing a doctor, but I suspect it's because she is so high energy. One little ding to the toes or ankles, which happens a lot when working with 11 year olds, followed by some other exacerbating situations and she is in agony. I can't help but wonder if she didn't hurt her foot playing football with the students in gym. She made an epic catch with one hand on one foot that made me cringe.

This weekend the both of us had matching doctor's visits for diet/lifestyle changes and next week, we are going to exchange notes, tips and recipes.
    Solfe

This is definitely an "amuses," but years ago, my college class was discussing the Constitutional Convention, and we were all assigned historical figures to be portraying. Somehow, the quietest guy in our group got assigned Ben Franklin, who to be fair was considerably less voluble by then than he had been even just at the time of the Declaration of Independence. Still, we commented on the disparity, and the guy said calmly, "My gout is acting up." This proved sufficient research for our purposes, and no one bothered him.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I got very slightly ambitious today and brought in and stood up TWO (fake) Christmas trees. One is the little fiber optic one we've been using for quite a while; but the other is the full sized one we last used in 2009. Gosh, ten years ago.
    I know it was 2009 because that was the year we were going to do the almost-year-round holiday tree. Halloween, then generic autumn, the Valentines, then Easter. But we also had new kittens and took it down after Christmas because the little brown one had disabled around half the lights.
    Knowing I needed to redo the lights, I got some new ones a couple of weeks ago. Three strings of 100 each. Today I also found two other strings of 200 each. That's 700 lights, all LED.
    And NONE OF THEM ARE THE SAME COLOR TEMPERATURE!
    I suppose no one would notice. Except me.
    The old incandescents all went together. Why can't the LED's?

The other day, a local news station was doing a report on the quantity of food that is wasted (because Thanksgiving), and the only downside they pointed to was that it contributes to global climate change.

Amazon lockers.

My front porch is rather exposed, so I've frequently used the Amazon locker at a nearby convenience store for deliveries.
    Mostly, it has worked-out very well. However, I think I've found its Achilles heel - holiday shopping volume.

Today is Sunday. I have a package that was supposed to be delivered on Friday, but it has been sitting at the (very) local facility since Wednesday.
    My suspicion is that the lockers are full, with people leaving things there over the extended holiday weekend.

I don't know when I'll see my package, but Amazon says that will take back your stuff if you don't pick it up within three days.
    So, space should open soon, one way or another.
    BTW: I'm sure their fine print precludes a refund for the shipping charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The other day, a local news station was doing a report on the quantity of food that is wasted (because Thanksgiving), and the only downside they pointed to was that it contributes to global climate change.
    I think I saw that one .... ah, here it is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qibFvDOrOjI

Is there nothing The Simpsons hasnít spoofed?

Did they explain how?

Or mention the other downsides of throwing out excess food?

Iím just curious.

Wasted food would seem to be food that is prepared knowing it wonít be eaten - and in great quantities.

Discard excess food is prudent when there is no other option. I would not call that wasted.

Really trivial thing that annoys me?
    The fact that I keep getting messages on my iPhone like "192 replies on 'Really trivial stuff that bugs you'".
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Did they explain how?

Or mention the other downsides of throwing out excess food?

I’m just curious.

Wasted food would seem to be food that is prepared knowing it won’t be eaten - and in great quantities.

Discard excess food is prudent when there is no other option. I would not call that wasted.
    The part that really bugged me is that they didn't identify any other downsides to tossing out food.
    No mention of landfill space, energy & material spent growing and preparing it, attracting rats... just that it contributed to global warming.

I think the great evil was that it rots to become methane or something along those lines.

Excessive dynamic compression while playing classical music on the FM radio. This may be trivial to most of us but not to me, an expert musician. This music has an enormous range from very loud to very soft, to get dramatic effects as wished by the composer. I was listening to the New World Symphony today. The soft passages sounded like being up close to the orchestra, but after a crescendo to a loud climax it sounded like being out in the lobby with ear muffs on. I realize that without the compression the soft passages will be nearly inaudible in a car at highway speed, but the compression could be applied as a user option in the car radio rather than at the transmitter. If I am not mistaken it is an automatic function driven by feedback from the output, and if applied in the car it would not need distracting manipulation by the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    Really trivial thing that annoys me?
    The fact that I keep getting messages on my iPhone like "192 replies on 'Really trivial stuff that bugs you'".
    I don't get those messages, so there must be some way to disable them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Excessive dynamic compression while playing classical music on the FM radio.
    It's not just a problem with classical music. It's been recognized as a problem with pop music as well, the so-called "loudness war." A lot of pop music today has really, really limited dynamic range. And it's something that bothers me too, along with the excessive use of auto-tune.

ETA: Though I'm not sure this is trivial...
    As above, so below

I don't get those messages, so there must be some way to disable them.
    Default Thread Subscription Mode in General Settings. (Though the forum actually spontaneously stopped sending me emails years ago, without me changing my settings. "E-mail silence" now suits me better, though, so I haven't tried to fix it.)

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Excessive dynamic compression while playing classical music on the FM radio. This may be trivial to most of us but not to me, an expert musician. This music has an enormous range from very loud to very soft, to get dramatic effects as wished by the composer. I was listening to the New World Symphony today. The soft passages sounded like being up close to the orchestra, but after a crescendo to a loud climax it sounded like being out in the lobby with ear muffs on. I realize that without the compression the soft passages will be nearly inaudible in a car at highway speed, but the compression could be applied as a user option in the car radio rather than at the transmitter. If I am not mistaken it is an automatic function driven by feedback from the output, and if applied in the car it would not need distracting manipulation by the driver.
    Addendum: I just now played a good recording of the New World Symphony on my big sound console. The difference for the better was huge. In the process I confirmed that my hearing aids were compensating for my high-frequency hearing loss with good clean treble boost that was customized by the audiologist. I had the amplifier's tone controls zeroed out, and it sounded great.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Wasted food would seem to be food that is prepared knowing it won’t be eaten - and in great quantities.

Wasted food is food that could have been eaten and, for whatever reason, wasn't. Surely most people preparing holiday meals know about how much food they'll eat/be willing to eat before it goes bad. We never had more than a couple meals' worth of leftovers from holiday meals when I was a kid, but it seems to me that some people cook far more than that, for whatever reason.

"You can't erase icing."

I'm entirely calm about sentence adverbs in general, and "hopefully" in particular. It's amazing to me how many people get so exercised about a 300-year-old usage like "Hopefully, the weather will improve", especially when they're fine with "Fortunately, the weather improved."
    But the usage still needs just a little care, so that it's clear the initial adverb is acting on the whole sentence and not on the verb. I just read a news item about a man who accidentally shot himself with his own booby trap. An "official source" is recorded as saying, "Regretfully, he died of his injuries." I'm sure the poor man was regretful, but I suspect the sentence adverb the spokesperson wanted was "regrettably".

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Wasted food is food that could have been eaten and, for whatever reason, wasn't. Surely most people preparing holiday meals know about how much food they'll eat/be willing to eat before it goes bad. We never had more than a couple meals' worth of leftovers from holiday meals when I was a kid, but it seems to me that some people cook far more than that, for whatever reason.
    Yes, same here. This year we "over-pied" because my MIL wanted...lots of pie! And Costco was happy to oblige. Thankfully I expect pretty much all of the leftovers to be consumed. Well, maybe not the apple pie (those things are huge).

I was just curious how the news folks were defining "wasted" but also interested in how "wasted" food was contributing to climate change. I would not think that a combination of food products would yield more or less methane when assembled and cooked vs. their "uncooked" state. Does the apple in a pie produce more methane when rotting vs. one that fell from the tree? I expect the point was that the one-day-a-year family get together is an impetus to grow and consume more food than usual (avarice, gluttony) and THAT contributes to climate change. And how impactful is this data point to the other contributors and forcing of climate change?

Probably more meaningful is the fuel burned during the holiday week. I-75 was EXTREMELY crowded yesterday coming back from Florida. I don't like to drive at Thanksgiving but if we want to see my wife's parents, it's about our only option.

Most Thanksgiving meals we don't waste a lot but it is usually at my sisters house and they have two daughters, BIL's parents come up from Campobello usually with stuff too, and this year the BIL's brother and family came along, I got a few leftovers but not much. If there is a turkey dinner here we get a few days of meals out of it and then it goes into the slow cooker to made soup or the meat and broth goes into the freezer to made into soup later.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/