Page 413 of 418 FirstFirst ... 313363403411412413414415 ... LastLast
Results 12,361 to 12,390 of 12539

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    <snip>
    I was just curious how the news folks were defining "wasted" but also interested in how "wasted" food was contributing to climate change.
    I don't know what they meant by that, but one idea is that x tons of food take y units of CO2 to create them. If 20% of x is waste, then they really only needed 0.8x tons of food, which would have only created 0.8y units of CO2.

And yes, I agree, that climate change is just about the last problem I think of when I think of wasted food (hungry people would be the first thing I would think of), and of all the contributors to climate change, food wasting would be pretty far down my list of contributors.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Cyber Monday seems to be screwing up routine stuff. And I readily admit it may be local.
    - Zelle payments seem to be in limbo are taking a long time to show up
    - Password OTP reset codes from Amazon are taking so much time to arrive that they are DOA.
    - My email seems to be taking longer than usual to update.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I don't know what they meant by that, but one idea is that x tons of food take y units of CO2 to create them. If 20% of x is waste, then they really only needed 0.8x tons of food, which would have only created 0.8y units of CO2.

And yes, I agree, that climate change is just about the last problem I think of when I think of wasted food (hungry people would be the first thing I would think of), and of all the contributors to climate change, food wasting would be pretty far down my list of contributors.
    An old reference, but I don't imagine things have got better in the last decade:
    The analysis shows that avoidable food waste in the US exceeds 55 million metric tonnes per year, nearly 29% of annual production. This waste produces life-cycle greenhouse gas emissions of at least 113 million metric tonnes of CO2e annually, equivalent to 2% of national emissions, and costs $198 billion.
    Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Cyber Monday seems to be screwing up routine stuff. And I readily admit it may be local.
    - Zelle payments seem to be in limbo are taking a long time to show up
    - Password OTP reset codes from Amazon are taking so much time to arrive that they are DOA.
    - My email seems to be taking longer than usual to update.
    What is this cyber Monday you speak of? Just kidding even a shut in like me has heard of it. But Christmas is the one time of year I look forward to shopping but usually in stores somethings you have try out or look thru to know if you want to buy it.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    An old reference, but I don't imagine things have got better in the last decade:
    Grant Hutchison
    I wonder if that waste is generated at homes or in restaurants. Most of our food waste usually goes in the compost, bones and meat in garbage but generally not that much.

We will use up the last of the turkey this evening. There's a little stuffing, some mashed potatoes, and some gravy so I may buy a slice or so to make hot turkey sandwiches.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I wonder if that waste is generated at homes or in restaurants. Most of our food waste usually goes in the compost, bones and meat in garbage but generally not that much.
    Both locations generate waste, and if you take a look at the paper I referenced, it specifically excludes inedible parts like bones. I imagine it depends very much on the restaurant and on the householder - I suspect I generated more food waste in a fortnight of restaurant meals in Alaska than I generate in a year at home (portion size, guys!). And of course putting your food waste in the compost doesn't particularly offset the carbon dioxide generated by growing, packaging and transporting it.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    What is this cyber Monday you speak of? Just kidding even a shut in like me has heard of it. But Christmas is the one time of year I look forward to shopping but usually in stores somethings you have try out or look thru to know if you want to buy it.
    Bah! We don't have Thanksgiving (not being in the U.S.) but this weekend has been full of Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.

Weird. Importing sales from other countries.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    Bah! We don't have Thanksgiving (not being in the U.S.) but this weekend has been full of Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.

I am actually in Canada and they have invaded our country as well.

Climate change has swallowed all other environmental issues. It's like nothing else environmental is happening anymore... which means it is but it's escaping everybody's attention because the other stuff just can't get out from under global warming to gain some visibility.

And it's even taking over a bunch of the popular reporting of science in general, even at places that weren't originally supposed to focus on environmental stuff. I've had to quit paying attention to several science news sources lately because they've become "mostly global warming and occasionally some other science too". There's a shortage of science sources left for people who are interested in science but don't want to wallow in daily doses of depression & hopelessness.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post

Same in Australia. And my son is just back from a few days in Singapore and they are also the same. In fact I assume that it is now pretty much a world wide marketing phenomena as I was checking prices for a hotel in Frankfurt (Germany) and it was running a Black Friday sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Climate change has swallowed all other environmental issues. It's like nothing else environmental is happening anymore... which means it is but it's escaping everybody's attention because the other stuff just can't get out from under global warming to gain some visibility.

And it's even taking over a bunch of the popular reporting of science in general, even at places that weren't originally supposed to focus on environmental stuff. I've had to quit paying attention to several science news sources lately because they've become "mostly global warming and occasionally some other science too". There's a shortage of science sources left for people who are interested in science but don't want to wallow in daily doses of depression & hopelessness.
    Well, it's a change from magazine/newspaper "Science and Technology" sections that are really just "Health and Computers", at least?
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2019-Dec-03 at 06:46 AM.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

More than 20 years ago, my wife saw a fake Christmas tree she liked. It even had some brown needles, for authenticity! So I got it for her.
    About 15 years ago, I went a little nuts on the lights. Instead of just running them around, I wound them around each and every branch. Lots and lots of them.
    In 2009, we left it up after the holidays and turned it first into a Valentines tree, then an Easter tree, before taking it down.
    In early October, we put it up again. It became first a Halloween tree, with added orange lights, skulls, and spiders; then a Thanksgiving tree, with miscellaneous fall decorations; before becoming a Christmas tree again.
    Then we took it down. We had planned on doing the following seasons again but we had gotten kittens. One of them, specifically the one currently purring on my lap, found the lights very interesting and kept stealing the bulbs. She could get quite a ways up, too.
    With half the strings not working, we put the tree away and didn't get it out again until a few days ago.
    I bought about 300 new LED lights but first needed to remove the old strings. Wow. I REALLY did a job of putting those old lights on! I spent at least two or three hours today getting them off.

Here's the "bugs me" part. Not long after starting, I realized that with the aid of wire cutters I could have them off in 10% of the time. They're old incandescent lights, and mostly not working. But I couldn't make myself do that and had to unwind them branch by branch. And tomorrow I'll most likely throw them out anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Same in Australia. And my son is just back from a few days in Singapore and they are also the same. In fact I assume that it is now pretty much a world wide marketing phenomena as I was checking prices for a hotel in Frankfurt (Germany) and it was running a Black Friday sale.
    right now there are some American skeptics going around New Zealand and Australia, I guess they will feel like they are at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post

That doesn't match my experience.

Climate Change does seem to be the dominate environmental issue, but I think that coverage reflects its dominate impact. But I see stuff about other environmental issues all the time; for example, proposed US EPA rules on what science may be used to draft regulations, or all the coverage about plastic wastes in the oceans.

My main source for science reporting is Science News and I think their coverage is very balanced. Most general and popular news sources do a very poor job on science and environmental reporting, in my opinion, and therefore I don't pay much attention to what they are doing.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Most general and popular news sources do a very poor job on science and environmental reporting...
    Well, why should "science and environmental" be any different than everything else?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

... Most general and popular news sources do a very poor job on science ...
    Yeah, like that news article earlier this week about the super-massive black hole found in our solar system.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

All three of the kids who take Simon's bus from our apartment complex live clustered in the same three buildings of the complex. It would be more convenient to shift our bus stop to right in front of our part of the parking lot, about a hundred feet back from where it currently is. Doing this requires the permission of the district transit office, even though "bus stop," in this instance, is "place where the bus pulls over that isn't marked in any way."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Cosmonaut, Astronaut, Taikonaut, Spationaut... I just wish they would settle on one term.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Cosmonaut, Astronaut, Taikonaut, Spationaut... I just wish they would settle on one term.
    If human space travel ever stops being a matter of national pride, I'm sure they will.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    If human space travel ever stops being a matter of national pride, I'm sure they will.

Grant Hutchison
    Spaceman!

Oh, wait. Quite a few aren't men these days.

In the "trivial in the big scheme of things but doesn't feel like it right now" department:

Yesterday morning I was wasting time on the computer, as usual, and heard a noise. My first thought was "cat" but they didn't seem to be doing anything except one had heard it and was nosing around like me, trying to figure out what it was. I asked my wife and she hadn't heard it in the other end of the house.
    Then yesterday afternoon she was putting something in a drawer in the built-in china cabinet and it wouldn't close. I started investigating and discovered the drawer above it had dropped down behind it. We emptied both drawers of quite a lot of stuff and I eventually found that plastic brackets at the back of the drawer suspension rails had failed. I got both drawers more-or-less back in place but we clearly can't use them until they are fixed. This is a new house; we shouldn't be having failures like that.

I didn't realize until this morning that the noise I had heard was the drawer dropping.

The problem left us with the dining room table covered with dishes from the cabinet. After quite a bit of rearranging this morning all is now stowed.

I've reported the problem to the home builder and fully expect them to say we are out of warranty. It's been 13 months.

I'd like to see The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, a Coen brothers film. The title is saved in my Netflix account in case it ever becomes available for rental. The bugs me part is that the film was released in 2018 but the DVD is still not available in Netflix...EVEN THOUGH IT WAS PRODUCED BY NETFLIX!!

From IMDB:

Production Companies

• Annapurna Pictures
    • Annapurna Television
    • Mike Zoss Productions
    • Netflix

Distributors

What the heck?
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2019-Dec-07 at 08:06 PM. Reason: formatting

I don't know how Netflix works. Is this a ploy to encourage people to sign up for the streaming service? Streaming companies seem to be slow, generally, to release physical media versions of movies and TV that they've produced.

Grant Hutchison

Good question. In doing a little more reading I suspect Netflix does not want to invest in physical media for this title because the film did not do well at the box office. But thatís just a guess.

I recently ordered some tea from an online source (I like to have a wider selection of loose teas than that offered by grocery stores). This place has routinely sent me e-mail and pop-up advertisements over the years, but they really step it up after I order something, maybe two or three times a year Even before that order has shipped, I’m getting daily barrages of adverts.

Does that make sense? A guy orders a six-month supply of your stuff, so of course he’ll want to buy more and more of it, right away, starting tomorrow.

Maybe they think I’m supplying a restaurant or a tea room, but my past record should belie that.

Yeah, Netflix is notorious for not releasing their stuff on DVD. It's extremely irritating to those of us who both use streaming and are passionate defenders of physical media--there are several kids' shows I'd like to own, for example, but Netflix won't oblige.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yeah, Netflix is notorious for not releasing their stuff on DVD. It's extremely irritating to those of us who both use streaming and are passionate defenders of physical media--there are several kids' shows I'd like to own, for example, but Netflix won't oblige.
    I have three other films in the saved list; one is The Highwaymen, also a Netflix co-production. The others are What Happened to Monday (Netflix is listed as a distributor), and Iron Sky; The Coming Race which is a sequel to Iron Sky.

schlaugh, are you saying that in addition to not being able to buy a DVD of The Ballad of Buster Scruggs from Netflix, you haven't been able to stream it? I streamed it here in Canada a few months ago.

Gillianren, does Netflix ever release their own content on DVD or is it just occasional titles? It never occurred to me that this might be something they'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    schlaugh, are you saying that in addition to not being able to buy a DVD of The Ballad of Buster Scruggs from Netflix, you haven't been able to stream it? I streamed it here in Canada a few months ago.

Gillianren, does Netflix ever release their own content on DVD or is it just occasional titles? It never occurred to me that this might be something they'd do.
    I donít stream. Iím cheap.

And I have Netflix to avoid buying DVDs. So maybe my local library will acquire a copy. Someday.