Page 416 of 424 FirstFirst ... 316366406414415416417418 ... LastLast
Results 12,451 to 12,480 of 12694

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Ha. I heard "dead as a dormouse" for the first time about three days ago, in an episode of the British children's TV series Space Patrol, dating from the early 1960s. I presumed it was some strange idiosyncratic phrase of the writer's. A particularly strange phrase, given that the dormouse is famous for not actually being dead, despite appearances.

Grant Hutchison
    Space Patrol! My brother and I watched it here in the states when I was quite young. I think it may have been rebranded “Planet Patrol” in the US for some reason.

At any rate, NOBODY here seemed to remember it except us. I would have thought that I imagined the whole thing, but for my brother. He even suggested we visit a broadcast museum in New York to research it (We never did.)

The show was one of the first things I used Internet search engines for. I didn’t get a hit for years. It was quite satisfying when I found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Space Patrol! My brother and I watched it here in the states when I was quite young. I think it may have been rebranded “Planet Patrol” in the US for some reason.
    You'd already had a Space Patrol TV series in the USA, back in the '50s, so they changed the name.
    Well, there's a running gag in which Husky the Martian produces some malapropism, and is corrected by Captain Larry Dart. On this occasion Husky says something about "dead as a doorknob" and Larry corrects that to "dead as a dormouse". Given that I had only ever heard "doornail", I was a little surprised. If it hadn't come up here, I'd have assumed it was some strange script glitch.

Grant Hutchison

The only "dead as ---" I am used to hearing is "dead as a dodo".

I am also of an age to, vaguely, remember "Space Patrol" - the rather 'odd' voice of Marla, the Venusian, triggered some memories.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2019-Dec-18 at 04:11 AM.

It's seasonally-appropriate to note that the opening of A Christmas Carol includes a digression from Dickens wondering why people say "dead as a doornail" when a coffin nail would seem to be the most "dead" form of nail.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

On the topic of A Christmas Carol, I heard a radio plug for a local theater group that is presenting a “reimagining” of the tale, “including Pipi the clown.”

I think I’ll pass.

On the topic of A Christmas Carol, I heard a radio plug for a local theater group that is presenting a “reimagining” of the tale, “including Pipi the clown.”
    Bah humbug!
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    It's seasonally-appropriate to note that the opening of A Christmas Carol includes a digression from Dickens wondering why people say "dead as a doornail" when a coffin nail would seem to be the most "dead" form of nail.
    Mind! I don’t mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail.
    I think the fashion / necessity for clenched doornails had perhaps passed by the time Dickens was writing. Or maybe he'd never had occasion to resurrect and re-use a nail.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Back in prehistoric times, we had a 13" color TV, with lots of cooling slots on top of the case. We had a plant hanging above it. My wife over-watered the plant and water ran down into the slots. Lots of arcing sparking noises as I ran over and yanked the plug from the wall. We let it sit for a few hours, plugged it in, and it was just fine. Quite surprising, that was.
    We've had considerably more modern TVs come back from sitting on a wet carpet (after our washer flooded some years back) and overzealous application of Windex by a small child.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Simon: [so excited by his presents that we repeatedly have to tell him to stop screaming, as it is not even nine AM on a Saturday

Also Simon: [pouting and saying he didn't get anything he wanted because I wrapped the wrong watch, and his sister got the Paw Patrol one while he just got stupid ol' Batman]

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I went to to town this afternoon to get a couple of things from the store. When I got there I discovered I'd forgotten my phone. I felt kind of naked. Vulnerable.
    It's a bit disturbing how dependent we are on these things.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My new smartphone has facial recognition unlocking, which works fine when the phone is held a “normal distance” from my face.

It does not work if I’m *not* wearing my contact lenses, and hold the phone where I can read it (I’m severely nearsighted, but also old, so I have to remove my glasses when reading text on the thing and hold it very close.

Facial recognition also doesn’t work if the phone is sitting flat on my desk at work unless I tilt the phone up. With my old thumbprint phone, I could tap it with one finger and check messages.

Also, vibrate mode is wimpy.

I went to to town this afternoon to get a couple of things from the store. When I got there I discovered I'd forgotten my phone. I felt kind of naked. Vulnerable.
    It's a bit disturbing how dependent we are on these things.
    I have the opposite experience - on the rare occasions when I do carry a phone, I'm constantly irritated by its weight in my pocket, and a vague sense of nagging responsibility that I'm going to have to answer it if it rings.

Grant Hutchison

My new smartphone has facial recognition unlocking, which works fine when the phone is held a “normal distance” from my face.
    At least yours acknowledges that you have a face. When I acquired my first smartphone recently, I messed around with its various functions, but couldn't ever convince it that there was a face within its view. (I also own a sat-nav imbued with voice-recognition that doesn't recognize Scottish placenames pronounced by a Scot. If I affected an American accent I could occasionally get it to work - "Edin-boro" rather than "Edin-bruh", for instance. That function has long since been turned off.)

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I have the opposite experience - on the rare occasions when I do carry a phone, I'm constantly irritated by its weight in my pocket, and a vague sense of nagging responsibility that I'm going to have to answer it if it rings.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes, I tend to regard the mobile phone as a service for me to phone people, I've had one for many years since they were the size of books and I tend to leave them turned off in my pocket because the battery lasts a long time that way. I turn it on if I know a call is likely, but it has a messaging system for important calls. Have you come across the app "what three words", it works on some smart phones, All over the world, and gives a precise location for the emergency services, who use it, as I did recently when I needed an ambulance.?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Yes, I tend to regard the mobile phone as a service for me to phone people, I've had one for many years since they were the size of books and I tend to leave them turned off in my pocket because the battery lasts a long time that way. I turn it on if I know a call is likely, but it has a messaging system for important calls. Have you come across the app "what three words", it works on some smart phones, All over the world, and gives a precise location for the emergency services, who use it, as I did recently when I needed an ambulance.?
    Yes, I know What Three Words well - I'm very slowly writing a hill guide book at present, and I've been recording the rare places where one can park a car off the road using a variety of formats - lat/lon, OS grid, and WTW. What Three Words will be incorporated (or perhaps has been by now) into newer sat navs, so I was keen to use it.
    We've stayed in a couple of remote rental cottages in which the owners had pinned the cottage's WTW location to the wall above the landline phone (no mobile signal), which makes sense in places where a single postcode can cover many square miles, buildings are often hidden away at the end of long, rough tracks, and emergency services can be delayed for many minutes if they take a wrong turning.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2019-Dec-22 at 04:30 PM.

The GPS on my friend's phone, I believe it was, had a really idiosyncratic way of pronouncing "Yakima," which we've remembered for years even though I'm not entirely sure how you'd render it into print. Certainly it wasn't "Yeah-k'mah," which is the closest rendering I can get of how locals pronounce it. It was three distinct syllables, for starters, and the first "a" was pronounced in a way I've never heard anywhere else.

"You can't erase icing."

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Yes, I know What Three Words well - I'm very slowly writing a hill guide book at present, and I've been recording the rare places where one can park a car off the road using a variety of formats - lat/lon, OS grid, and WTW. What Three Words will be incorporated (or perhaps has been by now) into newer sat navs, so I was keen to use it.
    We've stayed in a couple of remote rental cottages in which the owners had pinned the cottage's WTW location to the wall above the landline phone (no mobile signal), which makes sense in places where a single postcode can cover many square miles, buildings are often hidden away at the end of long, rough tracks, and emergency services can be delayed for many minutes if they take a wrong turning.

Grant Hutchison
    I am not remotely remote yet there are many small roads in Norfolk and they wind in a very non-Roman fashion, with few opportunities to reverse an ambulance or fire engine. When I needed help, the 999 operator asked if I knew my three words and by chance I did, having recently discovered the app. Extraordinarily useful idea, if you carry a phone! My phone is deliberately simple but still includes a gps giving coordinates, many more syllables required!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

What Three Words has its disadvantages, too, including its proprietory nature and the fact that there's no way to guess even approximately where a given named location is. But they've done some excellent PR and achieved market penetration that other systems have failed to do, so I suspect they'll be with us for a while. Hopefully long enough for me to get this damn book written, anyway.

Grant Hutchison

Threads where the only reply I can possibly think of is one I know would get me infracted, so I bite my tongue and click away.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

High Noon is in Amazon Prime's "Christmas collection."

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Well, sure. Remember when that bad guy breaks the shop window to get a bonnet? Christmas present for his GF.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Every now and then I see a film or a TV series that is hugely popular, but which I find either annoying or actively repellent.
    When that happens, I often do a bit of searching around for reviews that go into detail about what the reviewer found attractive and enjoyable. And often that's interesting and informative, though it doesn't usually make me feel any less annoyed or repelled.

What bugs me is when I run into reviews of the form "We all love [X] because ..." or "You must watch [X] because ...", which then list exactly the features I found annoying or repellent.

Grant Hutchison

Every now and then I see a film or a TV series that is hugely popular, but which I find either annoying or actively repellent.
    When that happens, I often do a bit of searching around for reviews that go into detail about what the reviewer found attractive and enjoyable. And often that's interesting and informative, though it doesn't usually make me feel any less annoyed or repelled.

What bugs me is when I run into reviews of the form "We all love [X] because ..." or "You must watch [X] because ...", which then list exactly the features I found annoying or repellent.

Grant Hutchison
    As an example of that, here in the USA the Discovery Network is promoting "The Explosion Show", featuring Tory Belleci of Mythbusters. The constant explosions were why I STOPPED watching Mythbusters.

As an example of that, here in the USA the Discovery Network is promoting "The Explosion Show", featuring Tory Belleci of Mythbusters. The constant explosions were why I STOPPED watching Mythbusters.
    Me, too.
    I won’t be watching “The Explosion Show”.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I don't have Amazon Prime, but I'll be trivially bugged if Die Hard is not in there.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Whatever you are doing today have a good day. Got plenty of treats and some shoes and boots to work the treats off.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Stinkin' computers!
    I passing the time watching a Big Clive video, got done, and closed the window. Leaving me with two blank screens except for the wallpaper image. No task bar, no icons. There was a mouse pointer, but right or left clicking it did nothing. Alt-tab brought up other running programs and switched between them. Finally I held down the power button to force a shutdown; and upon turning it back on all is normal. Presumably I inadvertently hit a button or something. But what?
    Guess I'll try The Google.

ETA: Oh, I should have tried Ctrl-Alt-Del!

Sounds like explorer.exe crashed. Usually it restarts after a few seconds, which restores things back to normal. Or in extreme cases, you can, as you saw, hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to get to the Task Manager, then start a new task, namely, 'explorer.exe'.

Because of a all of house marathon on tv network, getting a little behind in podcasts.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Unnecessary laughter in a conversation. I have a coworker that laughs during conversation at the weirdest, and sometimes, most inappropriate times. It's like their go-to is awkward laughter. It makes me crazy.