Page 510 of 510 FirstFirst ... 10410460500508509510
Results 15,271 to 15,293 of 15293

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    So he won't forgive himself? And in any case, what does forgiving himself have to do with "for love"...
    Yes, he'll never forgive himself. Yes, it has nothing to do with "for love". As with my example from the start of the song, the repeated "but" gives you the structure.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    It's been 8 years and I still don't know What Does the Fox Say.
    Here ya go.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

So, a couple of weeks ago I posted that we went all the way to Sequim so my wife could look for a new fake Christmas tree. But they weren't out yet.
    So today we had to go the other direction to Silverdale, where she had an appointment. Might as well look at trees while there. Wow.
    1. They are very expensive.
    2. And they look TERRIBLE! Super plasticky. Two or even three types of fake foliage on the same tree. Lights put on worse than I did on our old tree.
    I'm glad I kept the old one, which is now decorated for Halloween with orange lights, bats, ghosts, skulls, pumpkins, and assorted Doctor Who monsters.

Along similar lines I decided to get a Togo’s #9 pastrami sandwich today as a change of pace. It’s been some time since I got one. The price was substantially higher, but also the amount of meat was noticeably smaller. It was too late to go back for more meat, but if I did that would add another three dollars. I’m not really in a position where I have to count my pennies but it is annoying to pay more for less. Also, it just didn’t seem to be as tasty as I expected or remembered. I suspect they cut back in other ways. It was a tad disappointing.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

When the batteries died on my cordless mouse, I stuck in Graham's corded one. (He had a five-button mouse, and a spare three-button. He doesn't use the back and forward buttons, and I do.) The forward button isn't working. It seems to be a problem inside the mouse.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The scroll wheel doesn't work on mine. It may be a flaw with the ancient computer rather than the mouse itself.

The scroll wheel on mine works so-so. It tends to stick when scrolling up. It's a Microsoft travel mouse from 2007, so I'm not outraged.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

This really happened:

Manager, two days ago: “Can you work on this feature as low priority? We’ll eventually need it.”

Manager, this morning: “Can you have that feature done by 11:00 this morning?”

Ugh!
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

The guy I work with unloading the truck for the auction company doesn't have the greatest memory. Today before we started I asked :did you guys sell that really heavy dresser?". He goes "yep". Three quarters of the way thri the truck and there is the dresser.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    This really happened:

Manager, two days ago: “Can you work on this feature as low priority? We’ll eventually need it.”

Manager, this morning: “Can you have that feature done by 11:00 this morning?”

Ugh!
    We have that with clients. A year after you sent them a quote, they ask you for the results. You inform them that they never placed an order. They reply that they forgot. 3 months after that, they place the order and ask to get the results ASAP.

Yesterday, Graham was fiddling with circuit breakers, for reasons. I cannot get him to tell me before he does it so I can properly shut things off. Now, our TV won't let us access any of our streaming services, and we might have to get an external device to let us do that.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Yesterday, Graham was fiddling with circuit breakers, for reasons. I cannot get him to tell me before he does it so I can properly shut things off. Now, our TV won't let us access any of our streaming services, and we might have to get an external device to let us do that.
    What kind of TV? It could need a reboot to reconnect. Usually, that's just holding power power button for a few seconds.
    Solfe

Or in case of routers and similar: power off, WAIT 2 MINUTES, power on, wait 15 minutes.

A TV really should be able to deal with power loss. After all, it is almost inevitable that it will happen occasionally. If it doesn’t have some reset option, I’d suggest unplugging it for a bit after you turn it off. Also I’d check if it still has internet access, and passwords are still set.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Here's my recommendation for UPS Tracking service on a package for me that they got several days ago ...

Hey, they asked for it!

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Here's my recommendation for UPS Tracking service on a package for me that they got several days ago ...

Hey, they asked for it!
    I'm pretty sure "a label has been created" just means that the person or company sending the package has generated a label with UPS' software or website. It does not mean they have given the package to UPS.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Okay, thanks. I'll reserve judgment ... for awhile.

Indeed. "a label has been created" means that the package is still with the sender, outside the control of the transport company.

On a similar note, FedEx sent me an email: "We've recently contacted you regarding the customs declaration we did for you. Please review your experience." Given that I had received absolutely zero emails, calls or pigeons, they can be glad I did not give a review. A few days later I went to their track & trace to see that they did a delivery attempt, of which I again got zero message. That attempt failed, but -surprise!- the delivery guy did not leave a card. Communication doesn't seem to be their best part... Finally I called them, made an arrangement, and received the package.

The other day, I got one of these shipping confirmation texts at the exact moment I picked up a package off the porch. The text said the package would be shipping soon but I was already holding it.

Not really annoying, but weird. It was an extraordinarily short ship time, less than 24 hours. The Amazon warehouse is just a couple of miles a way and I must have got lucky with that one item being stored there.
    Solfe

Doing a factory reset of the TV restored our apps, though I had to log back in to everything. You're right; the TV absolutely should be able to deal with it.

Meanwhile, I went out to give blood yesterday, and my car wouldn't start. Graham's probably figured out what's wrong with it and can probably fix it, but geez, what next?

"You can't erase icing."

I did manage to get information from the origin site. My package is running behind schedule, and is in New York awaiting transport to Florida. So, no estimate.
    Recently, it took the good old U S Post Office ten days to get something to me from Detroit -- I guess they had to wait until some truck or other was headed in my direction -- so, things are slow all over.

Doing a factory reset of the TV restored our apps, though I had to log back in to everything. You're right; the TV absolutely should be able to deal with it.

Meanwhile, I went out to give blood yesterday, and my car wouldn't start. Graham's probably figured out what's wrong with it and can probably fix it, but geez, what next?
    Not to jinx you or anything but we'll soon be setting the clocks back to standard time.

Last night my wife texted me to come to bed. I looked at the clock and thought it was early. Turned out the clock needed a battery. This clock is something of a pain to take down and to set the time so it was quite annoying it couldn't have waited two weeks for Daylight Time to end.