Page 483 of 488 FirstFirst ... 383433473481482483484485 ... LastLast
Results 14,461 to 14,490 of 14632

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    ... So after I brought the box down, did she contact the shipper and say, we have found the package after all, and then offer to pay again?

I haven't asked.
    I ordered an item online some months back. It was due to arrive by X but was late. After waiting another week for it I contacted the shipper. He said he'd refund my purchase price (he did) and I was welcome to keep the item if it ever showed up (it did, the following week).

It was only a $15 item so I guess he felt it wasn't worth the hassle. Don't know if that applies here.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I suppose I should contact Amazon and tell them I found the box. But I don't feel inclined to hurry.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I remember back when I thought eventually, all of my communication would be centralised in my email account. Now every bulletin board, networking site, etc., has its own messaging system (including this one).

So one particular networking site sent me an email informing me that someone (it identified the person) had sent me a message. It didn't include the content of the message (maybe that is configurable?), just that this person (someone I know well) had sent me one.

So I pulled up the network site on my phone. The main page appears in the background, with this pop-up window, asking me if I want to use the mobile app, or continue using the mobile website? I want to use the mobile website, I have quite enough apps already. But the page is misconfigured, and the option to continue using the mobile website is off the bottom of the screen.

I tried a number of different methods to get that option back on the screen or to bypass the pop-up window, including trying to choose the option quickly in the split second when it appears just after the page is reloaded, but before it scrolls down off the bottom of the screen. I'm not fast enough. Nothing worked. Either I have to use the app, or not use the site at all.

So I went and found the computer, which wasn't particularly convenient, given what I was doing at the time. But I did it, and logged into the website.

The entire content of the message was, "sounds good!"
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

The entire content of the message was, "sounds good!"
    Could be worse, you could have gone through all that and found out it sounded bad!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Woah! Sounds like very non-trivial to me, the smoke part I mean.
    Well, the house wasn't actually on fire, but the stove had burned the heck out of what was in the pot.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Well, the house wasn't actually on fire, but the stove had burned the heck out of what was in the pot.
    We once started a fire-in-a-pan with brown rice that had boiled dry.

We once started a fire-in-a-pan with brown rice that had boiled dry.
    Is that not how you brown rice?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Hoping this is trivial.
    We ordered from Amazon a couple of days ago. I got a delivery notice e-mail yesterday. Checked the front porch, nothing there. Checked the mailbox, nothing.
    Then I discovered the notice had a picture attached. It shows a box lying on some steps. Definitely not our steps, because we took pains not to have any when having the house built. I THINK I might recognize the steps in question. At a neighboring (unoccupied) house. We live at 192 Tree Street. The other house is at some-odd-number Different-Tree street. I don't think it actually has the number on it.
    I'll go down and see if it's there when I get dressed in a few.

ETA: Found it. Still pretty annoying.
    Wow! Amazon found my actual house this afternoon!
    In case anyone is wondering, this is delivery by Amazon itself, in vans with a smile on them, not UPS or USPS.
    I did contact them yesterday, carrying on a conversation with a customer service rep who was probably a bot. Responses were VERY much canned.
    Still got another delivery coming from that order.

But when I got there,
    The shelving was bare,
    and so the poor kitties had none.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hubbard.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	26058
    I can't help suspecting as soon as the price goes back to seventy-five cents there'll be plenty.
    Hmm. The cupboard is still bare. And also bare in another store. I do NOTwant to have to tell the kitties they'll have to adjust to another brand. Why the heck would there be a cat food shortage?

Why the heck would there be a cat food shortage?
    Because the cats already ate all the toilet paper.

Hmm. The cupboard is still bare. And also bare in another store. I do NOTwant to have to tell the kitties they'll have to adjust to another brand. Why the heck would there be a cat food shortage?
    I guess it depends on the source but a lot of the protein is probably what is leftover after the stuff fit for human consumption has been used. I know of one salmon farming outfit that had to slow done the production of the fish for a while.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Or maybe not all that trivial.

I watched a YouTube video, hot off the computer. I was going to comment on it.
    Except the latest comment was from me, a year ago.
    "Hot off the computer" was April, 2020. Which I interpreted as "right now".
    Oh, right. It's 2021 now.

2020: The year we all want to forget!

2020: The year we all want to forget!
    Malaysia has been trying to forget it for over a decade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wawasan_2020

The SailGP league are in the extremely surreal and awkward position of having to conduct “secret” racing tomorrow in Bermuda because the competition in Bermuda that was meant to be Saturday and Sunday was moved to Friday and Sunday after light winds were predicted for Saturday. Unfortunately, because the decision came too late to renegotiate television arrangements, they won’t be able to show the racing on Friday live on TV, and as a result of the arrangements, they can’t show it live online either.

So, basically, they’re allowed to race as normal tomorrow, but can’t broadcast any of it on any platform until Saturday during the previously scheduled time slot and therefore have decided not to release any information about the results before then.

How can we trust that their boats are racing at all and it isn’t just some big hoax? /s
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    The SailGP league...

How can we trust that their boats are racing at all and it isn’t just some big hoax? /s
    I was going to suggest that you inspect the orientation of the shadows, but a recent thread over in the CT forum has convinced me that we need to check each crew member’s radiation badge.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    I was going to suggest that you inspect the orientation of the shadows, but a recent thread over in the CT forum has convinced me that we need to check each crew member’s radiation badge.
    And we learned that the Soviet Union was a paid shill for NASA.

And we learned that the Soviet Union was a paid shill for NASA.
    They should have asked for more.

I've subscribed to TIME magazine for more than 50 years. On paper, even! So I was reading the latest issue a few minutes ago while pedaling my Cubii device and, well, ugh!
    First there's an article about singles in the time of Covid, in which a woman is described as having "snapped her Achilles heal." The next paragraph correctly says "tendon". Clearly a case of autocorrect or autocomplete, but where the heck was the editor?
    Next up, a climate change article which names an electric truck company as "Workhorse" in one paragraph, and "Workhouse" in the next. Same problem.
    Next article is laid out five columns wide, each only 1-1/8 inches wide. About 28.5mm, if you prefer. VERY difficult to read when it's that narrow. And the middle column is blank or just has captions, because "white space" or something. The next article is four columns, each just 1-1/2 inches wide. 37mm or so. Better, but far from good.
    They need some human editors and fewer graphic designers.

Or at least a graphics designer older than 40, who knows what presbyopia feels like.

Grant Hutchison

Yes, that seems to be a general problem that I’ve been noticing for the last decade or so.

In reading professionally published novels, I see more errors than I used to, same with magazines and news sites. News sites are notorious for spelling errors, using the wrong word, or leaving a word out. Though sometimes I have to be a bit careful when reading British sites, since they have some acceptable phrases that sound wrong to an American ear, and are uncommon enough that I’m sometimes unfamiliar with them. For instance, the first time or two I ran across a statement that someone “was poorly” I assumed they had left out the word “doing.”

I find it especially annoying because I’m a programmer, not an editor - I took a minimum of English classes, have forgotten much of what I learned, and have never worked professionally in their field, yet I regularly find things I’d expect a person of modest skill should have caught.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Or at least a graphics designer older than 40, who knows what presbyopia feels like.

Grant Hutchison
    Yes! I’ve been noticing than when reading cooking instructions on packages of food. There are big areas devoted to advertising the product with big pictures and large text, then a tiny area for the instructions in small print. I often have to grab a magnifying glass and read under a bright light to make out the cooking temperature, how many cups of water to add and so on.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yes! I’ve been noticing than when reading cooking instructions on packages of food. There are big areas devoted to advertising the product with big pictures and large text, then a tiny area for the instructions in small print. I often have to grab a magnifying glass and read under a bright light to make out the cooking temperature, how many cups of water to add and so on.
    It's a real problem with the information inserts in drug packaging. When you need to make up an epinephrine infusion, you generally need to do it now. A box of drug provided by a supplier you've never encountered before, offering guidance on compatible diluents and maximum recommended concentrations in really tiny writing, is not what you want to run into when you've left your reading glasses in your jacket pocket in the changing room. Fortunately operating theatres are not short of very bright lights.
    Unfortunately, even really bright lights don't help if (as once happened to me) you open the box to discover the package insert is written in Polish.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Unfortunately, even really bright lights don't help if (as once happened to me) you open the box to discover the package insert is written in Polish.
    To byłoby złe.

("That would be bad" --per Google Translate)

First there's an article about singles in the time of Covid, in which a woman is described as having "snapped her Achilles heal." The next paragraph correctly says "tendon". Clearly a case of autocorrect or autocomplete, but where the heck was the editor?
    It's not merely autocorrect or autocomplete, because even "Achilles' heel" would've been incorrect. That's not an actual body part.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    It's not merely autocorrect or autocomplete, because even "Achilles' heel" would've been incorrect. That's not an actual body part.
    I'd have to get confirmation from Trebuchet, but I suspect that he meant is that they incorrectly wrote "Achilles' heel" instead of "tendon," and that the "heal" rather than "heel" was his own error, perhaps ironically an autocorrect one!
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I'd have to get confirmation from Trebuchet, but I suspect that he meant is that they incorrectly wrote "Achilles' heel" instead of "tendon," and that the "heal" rather than "heel" was his own error, perhaps ironically an autocorrect one!
    Damn, but I hate homophones!

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Huh. I assumed the "heal" was in the original, and Treb mean autocomplete gave them "heal" instead of "heel".

I could see autocorrect or simply typographical error replacing "heel" with "heal" - apparently, it legitimately just happened to Treb! - but the computer didn't change "tendon" to "heel" (or "heal"), certainly not without the original author noticing. They would've written "heel" absent any kind of computer assistance, and it would be wrong.

That's my opinion, any way.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Let Achilles heal.

According to Wikipedia, Trebuchet has succumbed to “”McKean’s law”:

McKean's law: "Any correction of the speech or writing of others will contain at least one grammatical, spelling, or typographical error."
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Let Achilles heal.
    He's probably in the medical tent.