Page 502 of 506 FirstFirst ... 2402452492500501502503504 ... LastLast
Results 15,031 to 15,060 of 15162

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

I needed to go to town this afternoon to pick up some prescriptions for Lady Trebuchet. While there, why not get a couple of potatoes to go with tonight's steak. Which was delicious, by the way. Ok, got prescriptions, got spuds, um... am I really going to check out with just two potatoes? Ok, what else might we need? Oh, I can get some cat food, we always use that.
    And they've raised the price of cat food. To repeat, THEY'VE RAISED THE PRICE OF CAT FOOD!!! And the little devils won't even appreciate it!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I needed to go to town this afternoon to pick up some prescriptions for Lady Trebuchet. While there, why not get a couple of potatoes to go with tonight's steak. Which was delicious, by the way. Ok, got prescriptions, got spuds, um... am I really going to check out with just two potatoes? Ok, what else might we need? Oh, I can get some cat food, we always use that.
    And they've raised the price of cat food. To repeat, THEY'VE RAISED THE PRICE OF CAT FOOD!!! And the little devils won't even appreciate it!
    You'll have to set them down and explain to them there was a pandemic and there is going to be shortages for a while, any luck they will be more reasonable then some humans. <y problem in about a month or so is that I will have a lot more potatoes, I didn't plant any pumpkins.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

THEY'VE RAISED THE PRICE OF CAT FOOD!!!
    Ghastly!

Do you have any idea who might be behind this?

Actually, at least around here, it is worse than that. There is also a cat food shortage. You can still get cat food, but I know for the kind our cats eat (Science Diet canned food), there is A LOT less selection and stocks are much thinner. We went to Petco (the pet supply store we usually shop) on Saturday and we were literally grabbing the last cans on the shelf of that brand (unless we wanted kitten food for 10 year old cats). This has been true for at least the last six weeks. The Petco folks have said that they are really struggling to get some brands in. I gather the problems are all the pandemic stuff - problems with shipping, problems with raw material supplies, problems with manpower at the processing plants.

And this isn't unique to pet food; the plant for the company I work for has been struggling on getting certain raw materials. Supply chains are still really struggling to get back on track.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

This one is really trivial, but the marathon t-shirts say 42.195 km instead of 42.194988 km.

Yes indeed, I've noticed shortages of our usual brand as well. Perhaps it'll come back now that the price is up. I did manage to get it on sale -- for what was the regular price a week ago.

A lot of pet food probably sources from the waste of human food production, I know one Salmon production company slowed down production last year and some places probably had to close down for a while. Plus farmers are having problems securing feed for cattle and other animals. It could be a while before the effects of the pandemic and global warming are over.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Iwas surprised to find out a few years ago, for uk at least, pet meals are on the strategic list. The number of pet meals per day is very high , obvious when you think about it, so being on that list means there are government reserves for emergencies, just like bullets and powdered milk.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

There are some dogs and cats that are also working animals, like dogs used to sniff out bombs and drugs, used to keep herds of sheep or cats on farms to keep pests down. Plus it could be companies lobbying, Fritos during WWII convinced the American government that their snacks were good fo Gi's because the energy dense and shelf stable. Or keeping the Queens corgies alive is of national importance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName View Post
    This one is really trivial, but the marathon t-shirts say 42.195 km instead of 42.194988 km.
    I might be wrong, but I suspect that the people who manage such races do not measure their length to 8 significant digits, or even 5 significant digits. I'd guess 3 at best, and probably 2.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

If memory serves, the distance is officially defined as exactly 42.195km, which is the lower limit for the length a marathon course (there's a little wiggle room). So it's the "26 miles and 385 yards" that's now the approximate value, despite being the basis for the official figure.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Yah but that’s like saying soccer goals are not really 8 feet by 8 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    Yah but that’s like saying soccer goals are not really 8 feet by 8 yards.
    I don't know what that means.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    If memory serves, the distance is officially defined as exactly 42.195km, which is the lower limit for the length a marathon course (there's a little wiggle room). So it's the "26 miles and 385 yards" that's now the approximate value, despite being the basis for the official figure.

Grant Hutchison
    Ooh, that’s not good. Now a repeated decimal is required to express the distance in the old units.

They could leave the mile as the same length it is now, but redefine a foot so there are 4,191 of them in a mile. That would solve that problem, but would possibly generate new posts in this thread.

I guess the times are about 0.002 seconds longer now that they redefined the distance.

I don't know what that means.
    The FIFA rules have it "The distance between the posts is 7.32 m (8 yds) and the distance from the lower edge of the crossbar to the ground is 2.44 m (8 ft)."

IIRC, there was a point where the non-metric units were removed from the rule book. I was surprised to see them, maybe I'm wrong about that.

8 feet is exactly 2.4384 m, so it increases the goal size almost imperceptibly, widens it by half a centimeter.
    https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/3f3e15...qy4j3k-pdf.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    The FIFA rules have it "The distance between the posts is 7.32 m (8 yds) and the distance from the lower edge of the crossbar to the ground is 2.44 m (8 ft)."

IIRC, there was a point where the non-metric units were removed from the rule book. I was surprised to see them, maybe I'm wrong about that.

8 feet is exactly 2.4384 m, so it increases the goal size almost imperceptibly, widens it by half a centimeter.
    https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/3f3e15...qy4j3k-pdf.pdf
    It's the same story, isn't it? The goal dimensions were set down in imperial units by the Football Association in England, and then internationalized by conversion to a rounded value in metric, which then became the new standard, rendering the original values approximate.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Today I got to visit the National Air and Space Museum for the first time in 9 years, and while I enjoyed most of it immensely, it bugs me that the new layout for the Milestones of Flight gallery makes it feel much smaller so that everything seems closer together. And that the new display for the Viking lander model is up against a wall so that you can’t walk all the way around it anymore. I know they’re still working things out as the renovations are supposed to take a few more years, but it did trivially bug me.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Today I got to visit the National Air and Space Museum for the first time in 9 years, and while I enjoyed most of it immensely, it bugs me that the new layout for the Milestones of Flight gallery makes it feel much smaller so that everything seems closer together. And that the new display for the Viking lander model is up against a wall so that you can’t walk all the way around it anymore. I know they’re still working things out as the renovations are supposed to take a few more years, but it did trivially bug me.
    The thing that bugs me is that you got to visit a place than anyone who has any interest in any or all forms of flight would love to visit. Well done.

Today I got to visit the National Air and Space Museum for the first time in 9 years
    Which nation? Is this the American one?

If so, I don't get to Washington much any more (and recently, to the US at all). The one out by IAD is pretty good. It's been ages since I have been to the one in town.

, and while I enjoyed most of it immensely, it bugs me that the new layout for the Milestones of Flight gallery makes it feel much smaller so that everything seems closer together. And that the new display for the Viking lander model is up against a wall so that you can’t walk all the way around it anymore. I know they’re still working things out as the renovations are supposed to take a few more years, but it did trivially bug me.[/QUOTE]

There's been more milestones of flight in the last decade. So they probably have more exibits to pack into that space.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    It's the same story, isn't it? The goal dimensions were set down in imperial units by the Football Association in England, and then internationalized by conversion to a rounded value in metric, which then became the new standard, rendering the original values approximate.

Grant Hutchison
    20.12 metres, I had to check, a cricket pitch, when all my life it was a chain, which is 22 yards. Sometimes you have to wonder if these conversions are really a good idea. I used to go to watch real tennis in Cambridge. Real Tennis was invented by Henry the eighth using a handy courtyard and has wonderful rules with a sloping roof one side and a mock window.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Which nation? Is this the American one?

If so, I don't get to Washington much any more (and recently, to the US at all). The one out by IAD is pretty good. It's been ages since I have been to the one in town.
    Yes, in Washington DC. It just reopened on the 30th of July, although only 1/4 of it is open now.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    There's been more milestones of flight in the last decade. So they probably have more exibits to pack into that space.
    They haven’t added any exhibits to the hall (in fact the Stardust capsule and Breitling Orbiter 3 gondola are no longer there) just re-arranged what is on display and added different signage, but the spacing of them and the fact that the South Lobby is closed for the renovations and no longer flows into it just makes the space feel smaller.

The Moving Beyond Earth gallery, about contemporary spaceflight, is where most of the exhibits about the past decade have been added, and that I enjoyed a lot. There were a lot of photos and patches in the space shuttle section that I recognized as being from 2000s missions I had followed as a teenager (and posted about on CQ!), so that was a fun nostalgia trip.

The Smithsonian Institution, of which the Air and Space Museum is a part, keeps sending me emails saying "Trebuchet, we want you back". As if I'm a former subscriber, which I'm not. I am a subscriber to their Air & Space magazine, which is presumably how they got my address.

Hearing a siren go by.

News coverage of the Olympics, which goes into detail about which team has defeated which, it is the first time since year X that this happened, the one team was behind but then caught up, etc. - all without mentioning which sport it is.

News coverage of the Olympics, which goes into detail about which team has defeated which, it is the first time since year X that this happened, the one team was behind but then caught up, etc. - all without mentioning which sport it is.
    In the BBC coverage of the 2016 Opening Ceremony, the New Zealand flagbearers were described as teammates, world champions, silver medalists in London… and then it was on to the next country, before the announcer could say what sport they actually did. (They’re sailors.)

I gave up trying to find a coherent schedule in the online news and sports sites: they didn't make it clear if the times were local, Greenwich or Eastern, or what calendar day it was when midnight was involved. I learned in high school journalism to put all of the facts, like what/where/when up front. Nobody bothers any more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Hearing a siren go by.
    Somebody was is an accident and didn't survive. It could of been because of alcohol, bad driving, an isuue with the car or and animal came out of nowhere. not trivial now.

On a somewhat related note my mother feels like throwing a scanner my great-aunt has out. The Aunts husband was a firefighter so he had a scanner which she kept. Earlier this summer me and my mothers friend thought mom was going to worrying about her friend by something she heard on the scanner. Another neighbor has a VW bus and was driving further out into the country to pick up has wife who was canoeing. Between my house and my mothers friend the fuel line broke and the engine eventually caught on fire which is in the back of the car, he had a fire extinguisher and put out the fire. I heard the fire trucks go by and thought it was far out in the country. Eventually I went out and looked up the road and the fire trucks and the RCMP were up the road in front of my mothers friend house. So not know what went on with the car I went up and found out what happened.
    The nest day when my mother got back home I explained what happened and said we worried that we were afraid some thing happened to her friends house after hearing something one the scanner and she said on the scanner they said 4XX not 3XX the civic number of her friends.

The stupid leather laces on my moccasin-slippers. They serve no useful function and won't stay tied.