Page 425 of 435 FirstFirst ... 325375415423424425426427 ... LastLast
Results 12,721 to 12,750 of 13030

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    … A couple of days ago it occurred to me to move the cat bowls to the other side, on the blank wall. So much better!

Why did it take me 15 months to think of that?
    I think the most important thing here is, will the cats allow the relocation of their bowls?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I think the most important thing here is, will the cats allow the relocation of their bowls?
    Not without a terrible price.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Today while watching the news the anchor said the darkside of the moon, I thought they had some kind of expert about astronomy in that city. Also never noticed it before but their weather map has my county drawn in wrong.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

They are actually pretty adaptable. They adjusted to the new house faster than we did, and food and water have been disappearing from the relocated bowls.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Today while watching the news the anchor said the darkside of the moon, I thought they had some kind of expert about astronomy in that city.
    The dark side is the unknown side, the one we can't normally see. Think Darkest Africa, dark horse, keeping it dark, going dark. It's a common enough expression.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    The dark side is the unknown side, the one we can't normally see. Think Darkest Africa, dark horse, keeping it dark, going dark. It's a common enough expression.

Grant Hutchison
    The trouble comes when people assume that it is a physical description and that it means the farside is always physically dark. (I had to explain that the polar craters are the only part of the moon where the sun never shines to someone on Quora back in the fall.) That's why most people on this board try to say "farside"/"far side".
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    The trouble comes when people assume that it is a physical description and that it means the farside is always physically dark. (I had to explain that the polar craters are the only part of the moon where the sun never shines to someone on Quora back in the fall.) That's why most people on this board try to say "farside"/"far side".
    I say "far side", too. I just don't believe that "dark side" is the prime cause of many problems of understanding, and I don't think classifying the phrase as an error is the best way to address any misunderstanding that does arise. In a world where many people get well into adulthood believing that the moon is not visible in the daytime, it's evident that there's simply a lack of thought about astronomical matters generally.
    "Dark side" just seems to be one of those phrases it's customary to get heated about in certain circles, as an in-group marker. It's like people writing in to the Times to criticize the grammar of newsreaders.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    on the radio, admittedly in a music program, "New moon tonight, means we cannot see it, because the sun is on the opposite side of the Earth" I wonder how many listeners noticed?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I just don't believe that "dark side" is the prime cause of many problems of understanding,
    Perhaps not where you live. Here in the States, any basic factual concept needs all the help it can get.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I say "far side", too. I just don't believe that "dark side" is the prime cause of many problems of understanding, and I don't think classifying the phrase as an error is the best way to address any misunderstanding that does arise.
    I’ve seen “dark side” taken literally too often to be complacent about it. I have seen it used in Apollo hoax arguments and even in a terrible self published story, as well as too many people just being confused by it.

In a world where many people get well into adulthood believing that the moon is not visible in the daytime, it's evident that there's simply a lack of thought about astronomical matters generally.
    Sure there is and this term certainly doesn’t help.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Fidelity, the financial services company, has been pretty aggressive in getting contracts with employers for things like retirement plans, health saving accounts, and the like.

Unfortunately, their login page shows all accounts, even those with zero balance from previous employers. When I asked if it was possible to prevent the old accounts from being displayed, I was told “no”.

The result is a lot of useless clutter when I log in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Fidelity, the financial services company, has been pretty aggressive in getting contracts with employers for things like retirement plans, health saving accounts, and the like.

Unfortunately, their login page shows all accounts, even those with zero balance from previous employers. When I asked if it was possible to prevent the old accounts from being displayed, I was told “no”.

The result is a lot of useless clutter when I log in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even more frustrating. If I had been able to stay at the Big Blue Technology company just another year (not my choice to leave) I would have had a nice health care benefit on retirement/leaving. Yet for some goofy reason Fidelity still shows the amount that I would have been able to access, almost as if to taunt me!

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Perhaps not where you live. Here in the States, any basic factual concept needs all the help it can get.
    Yes, but does the name "dark side" cause the misunderstanding? Will calling the "dark side" the "far side" fix the misunderstanding? I doubt if we have any good epidemiology on this, but it seems to me that it's a classic case of trying to address a complicated problem by making an obvious and easy, but largely irrelevant, tweak.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    on the radio, admittedly in a music program, "New moon tonight, means we cannot see it, because the sun is on the opposite side of the Earth" I wonder how many listeners noticed?
    It would be more correct (although still not the clearest explanation) to say that it meant we could not see it because the moon is on the opposite side of the Earth. (“New moon tonight, we cannot see it because our side isn’t getting any light from the sun. It’s in the opposite position from how it is at full moon.” would probably be better.)

The Anchor was working the Pink Floyd song the dark side of the moon, the images were from LRO, we needed some education on that part of the moon.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Yes, but does the name "dark side" cause the misunderstanding? Will calling the "dark side" the "far side" fix the misunderstanding? I doubt if we have any good epidemiology on this, but it seems to me that it's a classic case of trying to address a complicated problem by making an obvious and easy, but largely irrelevant, tweak.

Grant Hutchison
    Reinforcing ignorance is rarely a good idea! I for one, prefer to call out wrong assumptions, even though some consider it nit picking.

Reinforcing ignorance is rarely a good idea! I for one, prefer to call out wrong assumptions, even though some consider it nit picking.
    But does it reinforce ignorance? Isn't the ignorance actually exactly the same, whether we say "dark side" or "far side"? People who don't have a clue will still not have a clue.

Grant Hutchison

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    It would be more correct (although still not the clearest explanation) to say that it meant we could not see it because the moon is on the opposite side of the Earth. (“New moon tonight, we cannot see it because our side isn’t getting any light from the sun. It’s in the opposite position from how it is at full moon.” would probably be better.)
    well I meant it is a full moon, (sometimes eclipsed) when the sun is on the opposite side of the earth, a new moon has the sun and moon on the same side or the Earth. (and the far side is lit by the sun of course)
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

But does it reinforce ignorance? Isn't the ignorance actually exactly the same, whether we say "dark side" or "far side"? People who don't have a clue will still not have a clue.
    I don't agree. With any part of that. I think it's worth addressing when someone says that, and you clearly feel differently, so there we are, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    well I meant it is a full moon, (sometimes eclipsed) when the sun is on the opposite side of the earth, a new moon has the sun and moon on the same side or the Earth. (and the far side is lit by the sun of course)
    By opposite, I meant "the opposite side from when it is full", not "the opposite side from the sun", but as I pointed out, it wasn't the best phrasing to begin with.

I don't agree. With any part of that. I think it's worth addressing when someone says that, and you clearly feel differently, so there we are, I guess.
    Fair enough. But the phrase has been around in English for 300 years, it's still in common currency today, and it has a poetic ring that makes it memorable. I imagine people have been addressing its use for at least 299 years, but so far no luck in stamping it out. English is full of usages like that, about which successive generations become exercised in turn.

Grant Hutchisonb

What, you’re saying Pink Floyd got it wrong?

https://youtu.be/DLOth-BuCNY

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    What, you’re saying Pink Floyd got it wrong?
    Neil DeGrasse Tyson is oddly obsessed with the idea that Pink Floyd is responsible for the whole "dark side of the moon" thing.
    He says if he had a time machine he'd rename the album "The Far Side Of The Moon", to save himself all the self-imposed "dark side" hassle he has experienced, for which he seems to have developed some sort of grudge against Pink Floyd. So the guy's got a tin ear for titles and a poor grasp of metaphor.

Grant Hutchison

Occasionally from a young age I would run into the old terms “dark continent” and “darkest Africa” in old media. It was many years before I learned what they were really supposed to mean. I had assumed they were in reference to skin color and weren’t used anymore because of the apparent racist tone of the terms.

It was fairly recently that I heard of the similar explanation for the “dark side” usage for the moon and hadn’t associated it because usually if I corrected someone they indicated they thought the lunar far side wqs actually permanently dark.

So, the “unknown” usage for “dark” may be technically valid, but it is misleading since it is not the common or expected usage. I agree with Noclevername here.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Fair enough. But the phrase has been around in English for 300 years, it's still in common currency today, and it has a poetic ring that makes it memorable.
    “It’s the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs!" Yes, I guess using a parsec as a unit of time is okay, too. Or you could measure time in light-years. It's all good.

The side of the Moon away from us is still the far side.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is oddly obsessed with the idea that Pink Floyd is responsible for the whole "dark side of the moon" thing.
    Exception: I would never mess with a Pink Floyd album title. Fine as is. It's art, not science.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    “It’s the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs!" Yes, I guess using a parsec as a unit of time is okay, too. Or you could measure time in light-years. It's all good.
    You know that's what we call a "dumb movie mistake", rather than being a historically well-established and common metaphorical expression?

Grant Hutchison

He says if he had a time machine he'd rename the album "The Far Side Of The Moon", to save himself all the self-imposed "dark side" hassle he has experienced, for which he seems to have developed some sort of grudge against Pink Floyd. So the guy's got a tin ear for titles and a poor grasp of metaphor.
    Definitely. In fact, when Roger Waters wrote it he was using the sun and the moon as metaphors for lightness and darkness. There's actually a spoken phrase in one of the songs where someone says something like, "there is really no dark side of the moon. It's all dark, and it's only the sun that gives it any light."
    As above, so below

You know that's what we call a "dumb movie mistake", rather than being a historically well-established and common metaphorical expression?

Grant Hutchison
    Agreed, completely true, but "dark side" still makes me cringe. I can't help it.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Occasionally from a young age I would run into the old terms “dark continent” and “darkest Africa” in old media. It was many years before I learned what they were really supposed to mean. I had assumed they were in reference to skin color and weren’t used anymore because of the apparent racist tone of the terms.
    I think they are no longer widely used both because it can be misinterpreted as referring to skin color AND because even the intended metaphorical meaning really is quite ethnocentric in being based on how well Westerners understood Africa, while the Africans living there knew their home just fine and could have spoken about “darkest Europe”.