Page 439 of 442 FirstFirst ... 339389429437438439440441 ... LastLast
Results 13,141 to 13,170 of 13246

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Looking up housing near the job I’m supposed to start at the end of the month, I see that while Washington DC proper is nondriver-friendly with busses and subways, working at a National Parks site in Virginia means at least some amount of rideshares.
    I'll ask, but you are under no obligation to answer. What job are you applying for? Which National Parks might it be in? Is this just for the summer or something more permanent? Good luck with all of that.

I'l also mention that once you get outside of the big East coast cities, that having your own car becomes almost essential. I know that's true in Ohio, and from what I know of Virginia, I'd assume it is very similar.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I'll ask, but you are under no obligation to answer. What job are you applying for? Which National Parks might it be in? Is this just for the summer or something more permanent? Good luck with all of that.

I'l also mention that once you get outside of the big East coast cities, that having your own car becomes almost essential. I know that's true in Ohio, and from what I know of Virginia, I'd assume it is very similar.
    George Washington Memorial Parkway!

I’ve been accepted and it’s for June to October. Hopefully I can turn it into a longer career with the NPS.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

I’ve been accepted and it’s for June to October. Hopefully I can turn it into a longer career with the NPS.
    I've been there. We visited DC and Northern Virginia in 2017. Went to Mount Vernon and did some hikes along the trail there.

Best of luck getting the position.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

As an archaeologist? That would be very cool!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    As an archaeologist? That would be very cool!
    Just a normal ranger for now, but the NPS does do archaeological work on Theodore Roosevelt Island.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Just a normal ranger for now, but the NPS does do archaeological work on Theodore Roosevelt Island.
    Just look out for a bear who is more intelligent than the average bear, he might be trying to get to your picnic basket.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

This isn't so much a "bugs me" as a "makes me sad", but we don't have a thread for that.

Since my mom passed away, I've been donating blood every eight weeks pretty much without fail. For the past few years, that's been at a mobile drive at the local hospital. They have volunteers to pass out the juice and cookies. Two of the volunteers were an elderly man and his considerably younger wife. He wore his "Pearl Harbor Survivor" cap. I chatted with him about that. He had asked to be assigned to the USS Arizona to be with his buddy, but was placed on USS Tennessee instead, which may well have saved his life. When Tennessee was put in the shipyard, he was reassigned as a submariner and finished the war as an officer.

His obituary was in the local paper today. He was 98. And active until the end; not a bad way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    You saw the monument from the wrong angle! From State's side, he's actually flipping the bird.
    And well deserved too

It was interesting to see how many memorials there were to the War of 1812 as we moved eastward across Canada from Toronto. It obviously served as a rallying point for Canadian national unity.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    And well deserved too

It was interesting to see how many memorials there were to the War of 1812 as we moved eastward across Canada from Toronto. It obviously served as a rallying point for Canadian national unity.
    Different parts of Canada had different experiences. Around here we actually gave the Americans in Maine gun powder for their fireworks on the Fourth of July during the War of 1812.

And well deserved too

There is a particular funny story about the Brock's Monument, but I can't recall what it was called now and when it happened. That's annoying.

The gist of it was a handful of guys invaded Canada. In the shadow of Brock's Monument these men tried to recruit people to throw off the "tyranny of British Rule". They had no weapons nor any means to get any. They didn't even bring a bagged lunch. And these guys happily told their story to anyone who would listen. They were arrested, but that might be overstating the case. They thought the police might like to join them. One detail of the story was incredulity, various parts of the Canadian law enforcement and legal system got involved because they couldn't believe what was being reported. It was oddly a very serious issue for the Canada, despite the lame-brained execution. I think they all did time on both sides of the border.

It almost sounds like the revolt in Thor: Ragnarok. The leader claimed that it failed due to a lack of fliers.
    Solfe

Solfe: That certainly sounds like a rather quixotic attempt at an invasion. But then again the War of 1812 itself was altogether a pretty strange affair.

Backroad Astronomer: I gather that Main & New Brunswick had a friendly relationship with each other for a fair while and that apparently the denizens of New England were not particularly enamoured with the war.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    There is a particular funny story about the Brock's Monument, but I can't recall what it was called now and when it happened. That's annoying.

The gist of it was a handful of guys invaded Canada. In the shadow of Brock's Monument these men tried to recruit people to throw off the "tyranny of British Rule". They had no weapons nor any means to get any. They didn't even bring a bagged lunch. And these guys happily told their story to anyone who would listen. They were arrested, but that might be overstating the case. They thought the police might like to join them. One detail of the story was incredulity, various parts of the Canadian law enforcement and legal system got involved because they couldn't believe what was being reported. It was oddly a very serious issue for the Canada, despite the lame-brained execution. I think they all did time on both sides of the border.

It almost sounds like the revolt in Thor: Ragnarok. The leader claimed that it failed due to a lack of fliers.
    So not the guys who once blew it up, then!

So not the guys who once blew it up, then!
    I don't think that was part of the plan. This was probably in the very early 20th century, or close. I think extradition was a problem because there wasn't an agreement between Canada and US at the time.
    Solfe

Solfe: That certainly sounds like a rather quixotic attempt at an invasion. But then again the War of 1812 itself was altogether a pretty strange affair.

Backroad Astronomer: I gather that Main & New Brunswick had a friendly relationship with each other for a fair while and that apparently the denizens of New England were not particularly enamoured with the war.
    I don't think many here were really in it either, it was mostly an Upper Canada(now Ontario) thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I don't think many here were really in it either, it was mostly an Upper Canada(now Ontario) thing.
    Thanks for a bit more knowledge.

Solfe: I don't think that was part of the plan. This was probably in the very early 20th century, or close. I think extradition was a problem because there wasn't an agreement between Canada and US at the time.

I bet Detective Murdoch would have sorted it out!

Ok, I'm once again annoyed with myself. I've posted about this before.

We have a nice built-in china cabinet with drawers and a beautiful glass upper, where we display "treasures". My wife wanted a pegboard system like this to arrange stuff. Exactly like that, because that's what we ordered and got from Amazon. About the time it arrived, however, the brackets at the back of the drawer rails failed and we had to get them fixed. That happened several months ago.

The problem then was that the pegboards were 30x21 and the drawers are only 20 inches deep. I would need to trim them. The manufacturer recommends a table saw, a tool I will probably never own because they terrify me. (Yes, I have known someone who cut his fingers off.) My options would therefore be: Circular Saw, Jigsaw, Bandsaw. And there the matter sat for the last few months. I kept thinking of how to do it, stewing about it, but not summoning the nerve to tackle the job.

Until today. Measuring, marking, and cutting with the jigsaw probably totaled an hour. The new edge is slightly wavy but not noticeable once in the drawer. I've been fretting about this for months. Why the heck do I do this to myself?

Wife got Animal Crossing for her Switch. I cannot stop watching her play it. Driving me nuts.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Why is it that you have to have the remote aligned at a precise angle to change the TV channel, BUT when you sit on the remote it always changes the channel?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Why is it that you have to have the remote aligned at a precise angle to change the TV channel, BUT when you sit on the remote it always changes the channel?
    Here's a satellite dish.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	satellite-dish-vector-22520478.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	25225

It has the actual transmission element in the middle, then this large surface surrounding it, reflecting the signal and sending it in the right direction.

So the transmission element is the little antenna in the remote. And the big reflecting surface . . .

Why does pasta sauce always come in jars, not tins?

Is pasta sauce some kind of premium product that can't be sullied by the humble tin?
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop View Post

Is pasta sauce some kind of premium product that can't be sullied by the humble tin?
    I'm aware of no techical consideration for not using cans/tins, except perhaps for storage. Not everyone uses an entire jar at once and having a screw top container is more convenient for keeping the leftover. Otherwise, my guess is that it's mostly about marketing the product. With glass, consumers can judge a sauce's color and character while it's still on the shelf. Rich red, chunky, and bits of onion versus anemic red, overprocessed with little visual indication of individual ingredients, or even flavor. So for me, it's cans for tomatoes and straight-up tomato sauces but if I need a prepared pasta sauce, I prefer jars.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France

I think this is a classic example of begging the question, because you can get pasta sauce in tins, or cans. However marketers may well think there is added value in a glass jar. Their recycling credentials are then spoiled by using clear glass jars. Brown glass is better for recycling. Of course fresh pasta sauce is even better. But that’s another story.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I applied for a passport renewal back in February, and haven't heard anything.
    Trivial because I'm not traveling anytime soon, but annoying because I couldn't even if I wanted.

I suspect the application and old passport are sitting in someone's "in bin" at an abandoned government office somewhere.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Lots of stuff comes in a certain type of packaging just because it always has. Mayo and peanut butter come in jars that are about twice as tall as they are wide. Because they always have, even though they aren't the same jars, being plastic instead of glass as they used to be. The opposite proportions, or even 1:1, would make it easier to use the product.
    Of course, alternatives aren't always better. I long thought that mayo should come in a squeeze bottle. Then it did, and I discovered it didn't really work very well. You can still get it that way, but 2:1 jars reign supreme.

Lots of stuff comes in a certain type of packaging just because it always has. Mayo and peanut butter come in jars that are about twice as tall as they are wide. Because they always have, even though they aren't the same jars, being plastic instead of glass as they used to be. The opposite proportions, or even 1:1, would make it easier to use the product.
    Of course, alternatives aren't always better. I long thought that mayo should come in a squeeze bottle. Then it did, and I discovered it didn't really work very well. You can still get it that way, but 2:1 jars reign supreme.
    I'm guessing that (simple inertia) also explains why black olives come in cans but green olives come in jars.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Brown glass is better for recycling.
    I've not heard that or at least I haven't heard that in the form of a blanket statement. I understand that brown glass is preferred for recylcing in some areas due to market demand while green or clear glass might be preferred in others.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I've not heard that or at least I haven't heard that in the form of a blanket statement. I understand that brown glass is preferred for recylcing in some areas due to market demand while green or clear glass might be preferred in others.
    And around here the waste companies no longer want glass of any color. There’s no market, they say.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    There is an annoying problem, customers like clear glass bottles so few manufacturers use brown, but clear is harder to recycle because it must be sorted, while coloured glass is just melted down. But has no reuse takers. Maybe this time milk delivery and collection in glass bottles will revive. Glass can be spun into fine fibres for insulation too.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

In my state, green glass used to be explicitly NOT recyclable, despite our thriving wine industry. Seven or eight years ago, I had a guy one my catapult team (father of another guy's daughter-in-law) who worked at a glass plant in Seattle. He said they were working on a new facility specifically to recycle green glass. I don't know if that ever happened.

Oh, and I got an e-mail today from the director of the Burlington, WA, Parks and Rec department. I've been wondering about the possibility of the Pumpkin Pitch happening and was thinking of contacting her, because she's the organizer.
    Her email said all programs are cancelled and all staff is being laid off. Including her. The pumpkin pitch is trivial, but the lives impacted are not. I just replied "Be Safe".