Page 478 of 488 FirstFirst ... 378428468476477478479480 ... LastLast
Results 14,311 to 14,340 of 14624

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Yeah, it’s weird because the amount you get to keep should be “net”.
    Cognate with neat--so related to meanings like "trim" and "precise". Whereas gross relates to things that are thick or oversized.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've gotten quite used to crossword clues being pretty much outright stupid. And have learned they REALLY like vowels. "Aloe" and "Aria" show up all the time. Then there was "Large deer", for which the answer was "elks".
    This guy is usually so good that a friend who also enjoys crosswords and I will occasionally message one another just the clue number in amusement. He's conceded that, yes, he was wrong.

I do get why the vowel clues are so useful, though; it helps with the grid. A crossword I get on my tablet every day will routinely have the clue "crossword cookie" or similar, and the answer is of course "Oreo."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

When work spams us about an routine yet annoying administrative task we all know about and puts the "important" tag on the email.

One of my rules is, spamming about dumb administrative tasks will not move them up the priority list. If over-done, it may even move down the list.

Hospital X-ray departments receive orders from anywhere in the hospital on a computer program that lets the orderer select a priority level. Out of every 50 orders, about 47-49 are usually marked "stat".

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Hospital X-ray departments receive orders from anywhere in the hospital on a computer program that lets the orderer select a priority level. Out of every 50 orders, about 47-49 are usually marked "stat".
    Presumably because they're so urgent the requester doesn't even have time to write statim in full. Those extra two letters could come at the price of someone's life, goddammit.

(As an aside, I've never heard any doctor in the UK utter the word "stat." except for comic effect.)

Grant Hutchison

Sounds like my work. When everything becomes "urgent", then nothing is. (Except "emergencies" but that level is abused too).

Such priorities are based on ridiculous service agreements with customers and unreasonable deadlines that result from salesperson promises. Neither of which are life and death.

If I wanted that amount of stress at work I'd work as a paramedic, and actually save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    Sounds like my work. When everything becomes "urgent", then nothing is. (Except "emergencies" but that level is abused too). ...
    I worked at a chemical plant that had three levels of need for work orders - Routine, Urgent, Emergency. After awhile the Routine w/o's took so long to get attention that they started entering them as Urgent. Which led to delays for those, so they started using Emergency. You knew the system was broken when folks started entering Double Emergency w/o's for everything.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I work in the chemical industry, not in medicine, but I've known people who make every request a "rush" or "priority". Its just rude.

I worked with an Analytical Laboratory manager who had a rule that you could only prioritize your own samples. Prioritization over others' samples required approval of the R&D director.

I actually tell people when a request is not a priority, even going as far as saying something is a low priority. It is sort of the opposite of "the boy who cried wolf". By doing that, people are much more willing to help you when something really is a rush.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Circa 1980, all computing jobs at my college were submitted on punch cards. After processing, the printout would be deposited your assigned bin.
    We EE majors were learning a network simulation program at the time. It must have been expensive to run, because we had to include a card that specified "priority -3".

Unfortunately for us, this resulted in very long times between job submission and printout. It was always at least the following day - which was especially problematic near the end of the semester.
    It must have been the increased stress that caused us to make typos that would leave out the "-" sign. It turns out that "priority 3" was hot, with very rapid results.

The administration caught-on in short order, but the final result was that we we were allowed to run our submissions at the default priority.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    When work spams us about an routine yet annoying administrative task we all know about and puts the "important" tag on the email.

One of my rules is, spamming about dumb administrative tasks will not move them up the priority list. If over-done, it may even move down the list.
    Somehow reminds me of when work sent out a meeting notice labeled "mandatory", to be held in the largest room in the building, to at least four times as many people as the room could hold, then made no effort to take attendance.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Phone call, John Houseman as Professor Kingsfield on The Paper Chase:

"The lines are all busy. You'd think that an emergency service would have enough lines to deal with an emergency!"

Well, you really had to hear him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post

I do get why the vowel clues are so useful, though; it helps with the grid. A crossword I get on my tablet every day will routinely have the clue "crossword cookie" or similar, and the answer is of course "Oreo."
    As well as "eerie", we get "oreo" here a lot too, but the clue is usually something like "American Cookie" (or "... Biscuit", now that I write it I'm not sure!).

Edit: and just the next day, the Telegraph (so actually from the UK I suppose) crossword has "Uncanny" as a clue (= "eerie").
    Last edited by pzkpfw; 2021-Apr-01 at 12:03 AM.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Well something happened today, and it's as much the thought process I went through trying to figure out what happened, as it was the thing itself.

So I went on a very long bicycle ride. (Six hours.) A few months ago, I was careless on another long bicycle ride, and allowed my smartphone to become water damaged. So I upgraded to a new model (the old one was really old), but I was able to get the old one fixed - screen replaced. It still wasn't right - the tiniest bit of moisture, and the touchscreen goes berserk. But it's good enough for bicycle use, so this became my "bicycle phone". I got an off-brand extremely cheap SIM card from a firm trying to crack into the market here. Not much data, but I don't need much for my bicycle phone. And now I don't have to remove my regular phone from its case, and install it in the bicycle-mount, and then change it back again, all the time.

So early in the ride, someone WhatsApp'd me. I kept going for a while, until the point where I normally stop to chug the water I bring with me. So I answered the WhatsApp messages during the break. But there was this "connecting..." message at the top of the screen, that stayed there for a while. All the icons on the phone indicated I had mobile reception and 4G data, so I thought, maybe the WhatsApp app is stuffed. I would have reboot the phone, but I'm not sure what effect this would have had on the Strava app, that tracks my ride. So I just continued, hoping this glitch would soon resolve itself without my intervention.

Now the person I messaged, and the nature of the messages sent, were such that I would have expected a response. But no response was forthcoming, for quite a long time. So at a much later break, I looked at the phone again. Still "connecting..." in WhatsApp. My WhatsApp seemed really stuffed, but still, I didn't want to reboot the phone for fear of losing the tracking data from my Stava app.

Next break - WhatsApp still "connecting", so I sent a response to the person who had messaged me, using a different app, and asked, did you receive my WhatsApp messages?

Next break - it's been a really long time, and no response through either app, which was very much out-of-character for this person. So I did some checking, and couldn't access some websites either. So maybe I have used up my quota of data on this cheap SIM card plan? But if I've used up all my data, doesn't the mobile service firm send me some message, saying "would you like to buy more data?" (The one on my regular phone does.) And also, if I'm out of data, why is the Strava app still working? It seemed to have no problem telling when I was moving, when I was still, how fast I was going, where I had been, etc. Doesn't this require mobile data?

Not sure what else to do, I figured, I'll just soldier on, and at the place where I stop for lunch, maybe I can get some wifi-router access. Even though I wasn't sure my "out of data" hypothesis was really correct.

Eventually, at the lunch place (almost four hours in), as I pulled up, the phone automatically switched to wifi access - I must have logged into the wifi router there before. And buzz, buzz, buzz, all kinds of messages in various apps suddenly coming into the phone, before I even stopped. So I guess the "out of data" hypothesis was correct. So why did the Strava app keep working, if there was no data? I decided, maybe the location services it pulls in from the mobile network is a totally different system than mobile data. So I ran out of data, apps that use data stop working, but apps that only use location keep on working, because location is a different system than mobile data. I guess. I couldn't figure out anything else that explained it.

So then I thought, well why did I run out of data? The plan doesn't have that much, but I only use this phone on the bicycle, and then I hardly use any data. Especially if the Stava app doesn't use data. Then I remembered, two weeks ago, I went on this bicycle trail that has a dedicated app (specific to that particular trail), and it drained the battery on the phone like an incredible power hog. So I thought, maybe it drained the battery at a ferocious speed, because it uses huge amounts of data?

So at this point, I had a fully formed hypothesis consistent with all the facts. My use of the app for the specific trail a couple of weeks ago chewed up massive amounts of data, putting me almost at my monthly limit. The WhatsApp messages put me over the top today. The Strava app kept working, because location services must be something separate from mobile data. When I got within wifi-router range, everything started working again, confirming that I had used up my monthly mobile data quota. Everything fit perfectly, this must be what happened.

So I got home, and a while later, received an email from the mobile service firm that I use for the bicycle phone. "We'd like to apologise for our data service outage today . . ."
    So . . . does this look as bad as it looks?

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    Well ...

So I got home, and a while later, received an email from the mobile service firm that I use for the bicycle phone. "We'd like to apologise for our data service outage today . . ."
    Aesop moral of this tale: “ when on bicycle, turn phone off until you need to make a call”
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Aesop moral of this tale: “ when on bicycle, turn phone off until you need to make a call”
    But. But. If it's not recorded on Strava it never really happened.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

Grant Hutchison
    True, until we share every living moment with everyone our reality is no better than a dream. Then, when we are gone from the physical realm, we will leave not ashes, but stashes. And when all possible activities are so recorded, we can retire into the long night.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

That's definitely the attitude that the various competitions I'm in take.

...And also, if I'm out of data, why is the Strava app still working? It seemed to have no problem telling when I was moving, when I was still, how fast I was going, where I had been, etc. Doesn't this require mobile data?
    So why did the Strava app keep working, if there was no data? I decided, maybe the location services it pulls in from the mobile network is a totally different system than mobile data. So I ran out of data, apps that use data stop working, but apps that only use location keep on working, because location is a different system than mobile data. I guess. I couldn't figure out anything else that explained it.
    Yes and no.

Determining your location (in terms of longitude and latitude) and velocity does not require any kind of data connection. Just a GPS radio antenna and GPS software. However, longitude and latitude is just numbers - displaying that location on a map requires map data. Most likely the Strava app had previously downloaded map data for the area you were in, and so did not require a current live data connection to display it.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Yes and no.

Determining your location (in terms of longitude and latitude) and velocity does not require any kind of data connection. Just a GPS radio antenna and GPS software. However, longitude and latitude is just numbers - displaying that location on a map requires map data. Most likely the Strava app had previously downloaded map data for the area you were in, and so did not require a current live data connection to display it.
    I don't think I looked at the map. Whenever stopping for a drink (frequently - it's hot here!), I would have a look at the Strava app, but just the summary page that had my distance, time, average speed, etc. These seemed to be quite accurate (I've done this route before, so I know how far it is to various points, and I had a sense for how fast I was going). I don't think I actually looked at the map though. Maybe I did, but if I did, I'm not remembering.

So I have been assuming it's getting its location from the mobile towers, but phones use GPS these days? So would the Strava app potentially work even if it lost mobile service entirely, or if I went somewhere with no mobile service? Or where my mobile service provider does not have a roaming agreement? Or even if I removed the SIM card, or allowed the service to lapse?

So I have been assuming it's getting its location from the mobile towers, but phones use GPS these days? So would the Strava app potentially work even if it lost mobile service entirely, or if I went somewhere with no mobile service? Or where my mobile service provider does not have a roaming agreement? Or even if I removed the SIM card, or allowed the service to lapse?
    I can't vouch for Strava, but I have three apps on my phone (two for navigation, one to identify landmarks) and I use them almost exclusively in places with no phone signal. (They'd actually be useless to me if they needed a phone signal.) All of them use the phone GPS for track and location data. For each of them I've downloaded relevant terrain datasets using my home wifi, so I can use those data offline.

Grant Hutchison

That's definitely the attitude that the various competitions I'm in take.
    Competitions, I can understand. (Well, I can understand the bit where if a person wants to compete they'd be require to provide some data.)
    But I know people who modify or cancel their plans if they're unable to log all those vital details of steps walked, distance covered, height ascended, maximum heart rate, calories consumed, etc. etc. One of them actually burst into tears when she discovered that her day's activity had not been logged. The others present assumed she'd received some hellish text message about a break-up or bereavement, but no--she'd just lost some numbers.

Grant Hutchison

I can't vouch for Strava, but I have three apps on my phone (two for navigation, one to identify landmarks) and I use them almost exclusively in places with no phone signal. (They'd actually be useless to me if they needed a phone signal.) All of them use the phone GPS for track and location data. For each of them I've downloaded relevant terrain datasets using my home wifi, so I can use those data offline.

Grant Hutchison
    For general navigation I like maps.me which can download a local large area and then has no need of connection.
    sicut vis videre esto

Most smart phones have GPS receivers in them to get location data, but they can also triangulate an approximate location using cell towers, with or without active service.

Strava probably used location services in the phone (GPS or tower triangulation) but it didn't need data to calculate your speed or distance.

Whenever stopping for a drink (frequently - it's hot here!)…

So I have been assuming it's getting its location from the mobile towers, but phones use GPS these days? So would the Strava app potentially work even if it lost mobile service?
    I recall an Israeli study about carrying water on desert journeys where they concluded it was better to drink all your water in advance because you carried it so efficiently, and the body could store the water, but that was from a long time ago. Yes I think Strava would work using phone gps facility.
    sicut vis videre esto

Grant Hutchison
    OK, well then phones (or at least some of them) obviously have that capability, even if some apps may not use it.

That may also clear up a concern I had about one app, which I have downloaded but never used (well, other than just to try it out at home to see how it works), which is peakbagger. I discovered if I log a particular set of hills I climb in peakbagger, some organisation will officially recognise me as a completer, etc. Well, I discovered this after I had already climbed about half the hills on the list without peakbagger But be that as it may, I thought it must be fairly common that there is no mobile service on top of some of the peaks (or dirty foreigners like me might not have their roaming service enabled), so what happens then? I suppose then that peakbagger would use the GPS receiver, or it would be a fairly not-suitable-for-purpose app.

Competitions, I can understand. (Well, I can understand the bit where if a person wants to compete they'd be require to provide some data.)
    But I know people who modify or cancel their plans if they're unable to log all those vital details of steps walked, distance covered, height ascended, maximum heart rate, calories consumed, etc. etc. One of them actually burst into tears when she discovered that her day's activity had not been logged. The others present assumed she'd received some hellish text message about a break-up or bereavement, but no--she'd just lost some numbers.

Grant Hutchison
    I downloaded Strava when I joined an event that became "virtual" in 2020 (each person does it on their own, and sends in their screenshot), whereas in previous years it had been a mass event (with the streets blocked off for the morning, all that). It will be "virtual" again this year, and is coming up in a few weeks. A few weeks ago, I finished a charity event (one is supposed to get pledges, but I hate that, so I just pledged the full amount myself), and they haven't yet emailed me asking for their money. A somewhat disorganised charity, I suppose.

I now have a small cadre of people who mostly live many hours flying time from here, with whom I haven't otherwise spoken for years, who give me "kudos" promptly and every single time, without fail, whenever I complete a bicycle ride and log it in Strava. I don't think one can exchange these "kudos" for anything else.

OK, well then phones (or at least some of them) obviously have that capability, even if some apps may not use it.
    I think almost all smartphones today have a GPS receiver built in.

That may also clear up a concern I had about one app, which I have downloaded but never used (well, other than just to try it out at home to see how it works), which is peakbagger. I discovered if I log a particular set of hills I climb in peakbagger, some organisation will officially recognise me as a completer, etc. Well, I discovered this after I had already climbed about half the hills on the list without peakbagger But be that as it may, I thought it must be fairly common that there is no mobile service on top of some of the peaks (or dirty foreigners like me might not have their roaming service enabled), so what happens then? I suppose then that peakbagger would use the GPS receiver, or it would be a fairly not-suitable-for-purpose app.
    Almost certainly uses GPS, yes.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

These summit-logging apps generally don't need a data signal, but do need you to have the appropriate database stored on your phone if you want to log stuff in real time.
    But it would be unusual if the app didn't let you log stuff you'd climbed retrospectively, just by going to the interface and entering the data. There are, after all, weather conditions in which you don't want to be digging out your phone at every summit. That's certainly the ethos of the Peakbagger website, and of the various apps my bagging buddies use.

Grant Hutchison

I have only a few apps on my old phone - there's no room to fit much else. So I still use an old version of Avenza, which was very useful when I was working, and I preload the memory card with maps that I've obtained from various public databases. It's kind of clunky to do it that way, but then I never again think about connections when I'm on a trip, which often take me away from networks for days. I like to record my longer motorcycle trips and include waypoints for interesting stops.

One of these days I'll get a new phone and learn about these apps you guys are talking about.

Location? Shmocation! I just looked at Google Maps to see where they think my Android phone is and it's off by at LEAST ten feet! Maybe even twenty!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I still have a flip phone!

Last night, I woke up in the middle of the night with an itch . . . on my soft palate.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"