Page 501 of 506 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503 ... LastLast
Results 15,001 to 15,030 of 15162

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    ... I finally got down on the floor and found her under a bed. And then had to get myself up, which isn't all that easy any more. She had to have heard us calling but, you know, cats.
    I know. "Cats" + "Not that easy any more." If one gets under the bed in my house, she'll remain lost until she comes to her senses.

It was a particular worry because this kitty isn't in the best of health. She's had assorted respiratory issues all her life, and is no longer young.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Take good care of her.

I feel that all of this “second billionaire astronaut” phrasing must be incorrect in light of some of the Space Adventures tourists. (And, for that matter, perhaps Sultan al-Saud.)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I feel that all of this “second billionaire astronaut” phrasing must be incorrect in light of some of the Space Adventures tourists. (And, for that matter, perhaps Sultan al-Saud.)
    Yes, I’ve heard that issue mentioned elsewhere. Not all of the previous space tourists were billionaires, but some were. That was also orbital tourism, which strikes me as much better than short suborbital hops that barely get past the 50 mile or 100 km altitude.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Yes, I’ve heard that issue mentioned elsewhere. Not all of the previous space tourists were billionaires, but some were. That was also orbital tourism, which strikes me as much better than short suborbital hops that barely get past the 50 mile or 100 km altitude.
    I just mean that factually I think he’s almost certainly not just the second, perhaps the ninth or so?

I just mean that factually I think he’s almost certainly not just the second, perhaps the ninth or so?
    Right, I got that and I’ve seen others make a similar comment. Not all the space tourists were billionaires (I think some were worth in the hundreds of millions) but a number were. The clear distinction is that these are the first billionaires flying on their own spacecrafts.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I've had a 3-D printer for a while now and printed nothing, or even gotten it to turn on.

There were lots of cables to connect when I was done assembling the frame, but there's really no way to connect them wrong. The connectors come in a few different shapes & sizes, they're color-coded, and the ones that would still be the same with that are labelled. So there's no way to connect them wrong. But I still know that if Creality even has a phone number to call for this kind of thing, they'll just tell me I connected things wrong.

I can't find the box with the embroidery floss for my current needlework project. I keep it in a box so I can carry it with me places, and the box is now missing. It's somewhere in this room, I'm sure, but . . . .

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

The box has been found. But this morning, we had a serious conversation about how the person who has to be up in the morning has to be sure to turn off his alarm clock if he wakes up early and leaves the room.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Here in the UK, an eleven-year-old girl who left home and travelled to London by train without telling her parents (reportedly because she wanted to go sight-seeing) has been found safe and well. This is Good News.
    What bugs me is the curious tone of the news anchor and reporter for the BBC television news, who both said something to the effect that she was "obviously a very composed and confident young woman". Composed and confident, good, but also deeply inconsiderate and irresponsible and the subject of a nationwide search. I'm not convinced that having her behaviour effectively commended on national television is good messaging. Not that I'd wish her to be reproached on national television, either. But these things can be balanced a little better.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Here in the UK, an eleven-year-old girl who left home and travelled to London by train without telling her parents (reportedly because she wanted to go sight-seeing) has been found safe and well. This is Good News.
    What bugs me is the curious tone of the news anchor and reporter for the BBC television news, who both said something to the effect that she was "obviously a very composed and confident young woman". Composed and confident, good, but also deeply inconsiderate and irresponsible and the subject of a nationwide search. I'm not convinced that having her behaviour effectively commended on national television is good messaging. Not that I'd wish her to be reproached on national television, either. But these things can be balanced a little better.

Grant Hutchison
    Wow, I felt sure this was going to turn into an “When I was that age, I hitchhiked to Beijing with fifty cents in my pocket and only left a note if I felt like it” rant.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2021-Jul-24 at 10:34 PM.

Wow, I felt sure this was going to turn into an “When I was that age, we hitchhiked through war zones and only left a note if we felt like it” rant.
    Hmmm. What an interesting impression you have of me.
    When I were a lad, we had a lot more freedom and a lot less helicopter parenting, for sure. Part of that was because children were at that time supposed to be in the outdoors doing stuff, part of it was because "going to my child's sports-day/music recital/graduation" was not considered a valid reason for parents be off work, and part of it was because it was really difficult to stay in contact when away from home, if your home didn't have a telephone. So kids were off the radar a lot of the time.
    But that actually meant it was even more important then than it is now for children to tell their parents where they were going, who they were going to be with, when they were going to be home, and to stick to the plan. Going off-book for a couple of days and being the subject of a nationwide alert was very much not a cool thing to do, then as now.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Hmmm. What an interesting impression you have of me.
    When I were a lad, we had a lot more freedom and a lot less helicopter parenting, for sure. Part of that was because children were at that time supposed to be in the outdoors doing stuff, part of it was because "going to my child's sports-day/music recital/graduation" was not considered a valid reason for parents be off work, and part of it was because it was really difficult to stay in contact when away from home, if your home didn't have a telephone. So kids were off the radar a lot of the time.
    But that actually meant it was even more important then than it is now for children to tell their parents where they were going, who they were going to be with, when they were going to be home, and to stick to the plan. Going off-book for a couple of days and being the subject of a nationwide alert was very much not a cool thing to do, then as now.

Grant Hutchison
    What can I say, I spent my teen years on this forum, I’m used to any post about kids and safety turning into “we did much more dangerous things when I was a kid and nobody said anything!”

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    What can I say, I spent my teen years on this forum, I’m used to any post about kids and safety turning into “we did much more dangerous things when I was a kid and nobody said anything!”
    Cos that is true! But the world has moved on. A little earlier, Children used to go down mines, command warships and travel between countries with nothing more than a letter. Attitudes change but geography is still destiny, I guess.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Did I ever mention that we played at the abandoned missile battery?
    The underground part was the coolest.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Nobody said anything? Clearly, you never met my mother.

As a follow-on to my previous rants about computers not printing what you ask them to print, I had a prepaid shipping label to print.
    Windows opened it with its default photo tool, which insisted on chopping-off the part of the label that included the return address.

After much struggling, I found some other program that printed the whole thing, but refused to print it using black. The best I could do was to convince it to print in moderately dark gray.

Remember when "Plug and Play" was emblazoned on every box for every new accessory and they were going to work properly straight out of that box with no fuss? And WYSIWYG?

(For me they usually work just fine at first. The problems sneak in later.)

I've just bought new trousers on-line, identical make and model to several pairs that have been a regular feature of my daily wear for a few years now. And they've completely rearranged the pockets! Thigh pocket on the right instead of the left, and zips removed from the other pockets except for a new zipped "security pocket" added on the right side, behind the conventional pocket. This will do wonders to preserve my cognitive function, I'm sure, but I am going to spend a lot of time pawing at my hips and thighs in public places for the next few weeks until I get the hang of this new layout.

Grant Hutchison
    Blog

I have a "Medicare Wellness Exam" scheduled next week. This is the one where they evaluate old folks like me, give cognitive tests (Remember these words. Draw a clock.) and, among other things, ask if you've fallen. Which I did, a few days ago. I missed the last step going down from the deck and landed in the gravel, leaving a nasty road-rash -- ok, gravel rash -- on my right leg. I am extremely tempted to lie about having fallen and wear long pants (trousers) to cover it up.
    I'm also thinking of trolling the "draw a clock" test by either doing a detailed drawing of my grandmother's clock in the next room, or a digital one.

I don't mind describing my last fall. Maybe four years ago.

It was incurred in getting out of an army tank simulator in which my job was testing the programming. I may be old, but this makes me sound tough.

(I did have to go for some medical exams for workman's comp issues, but had no lasting sim-war wounds.)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    I don't mind describing my last fall… I did have to go for some medical exams for workman's comp issues, but had no lasting sim-war wounds.)
    Did they award you the Purple Jarvik Heart?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I have a "Medicare Wellness Exam" scheduled next week. This is the one where they evaluate old folks like me, give cognitive tests (Remember these words. Draw a clock.) and, among other things, ask if you've fallen. Which I did, a few days ago. I missed the last step going down from the deck and landed in the gravel, leaving a nasty road-rash -- ok, gravel rash -- on my right leg. I am extremely tempted to lie about having fallen and wear long pants (trousers) to cover it up.
    I'm also thinking of trolling the "draw a clock" test by either doing a detailed drawing of my grandmother's clock in the next room, or a digital one.
    And the clinic just called me and wound up postponing the exam by about a week. Perhaps the rash will look better by then. But I'm still going to troll the clock.

You know what bugs me right now? I don't have the time to produce and market Cognitive Function Preserver pants, maybe a whole clothing line

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    You know what bugs me right now? I don't have the time to produce and market Cognitive Function Preserver pants, maybe a whole clothing line
    Those folks who were making COVID-preventing clothing will probably step in. I understand that only minor adjustments are needed. :roll:

I have heard of a sure-fire prevention method for Covid. It's a biological product that has protective properties. It's made from the foot of a rabbit...
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Yesterday I stayed on the train for two more stops coming back from work so I could buy spinach for my omelets today and tomorrow (my weekend) at Trader Joe’s. I bought some other veggies, too (I buy most things at Costco, which is closer, but the bulk produce is more than one person can get through before the expiration date), and when I finally did get home and put the stuff away, do you know what I realized I had forgotten I was out of?

Yes, eggs.

Yesterday I stayed on the train for two more stops coming back from work so I could buy spinach for my omelets today and tomorrow (my weekend) at Trader Joe’s. I bought some other veggies, too (I buy most things at Costco, which is closer, but the bulk produce is more than one person can get through before the expiration date), and when I finally did get home and put the stuff away, do you know what I realized I had forgotten I was out of?

Yes, eggs.
    I guess, the yolk is on you!

Trivial in the big scheme of things, but not really to me:
    1. The Pumpkin Pitch, highlight of the year for me, is cancelled. The situation has been confusing. The website has been suggesting it would be held, would be different, would be...? I emailed the organizer a couple of weeks ago. It bounced. Apparently she didn't work there (Burlington Parks and Recreation) any more. And then yesterday I got an email from her, using her Burlington Parks address which had bounced, saying it was off. It's kinda confusing.
    2. My favorite Port Townsend restaurant, Lanza's Ristorante, has closed for good. We didn't go often, but always enjoyed. The most romantic spot in town. Like the Pumpkin Pitch, a victim of Covid 19.