Page 404 of 415 FirstFirst ... 304354394402403404405406414 ... LastLast
Results 12,091 to 12,120 of 12443

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Trying to figure out what to do with an old 27 inch crt monitor, if don't mind a big mess the window comes to mind, nobody wants them can't even sell at the auction for $5, which is quarter of what I paid on the new flat screen.
    Around here we have to pay a recycling fee for the old monitors and TVs to be hauled away. Canít give Ďem away and charities donít want them.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Around here we have to pay a recycling fee for the old monitors and TVs to be hauled away. Can’t give ‘em away and charities don’t want them.
    There is a recycling place that took the old one we had. It was my sisters and she left behind when she moved out, it just sat in the den for years.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I recently saw a news story where someone in Virginia left 50 old CRTs on peopleís doorsteps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Right now I am wondering if I bought a dud, there does not seem to be any power going to the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Well, yes, but that doesn't really answer the question as to how/why they crossed without interfering with each other.

Unless I'm missing something...
    I'm thinking the central laminate layer, bonded to the glass, transmits the stress at the apex of a propagating crack to the other side of an existing crack.

Grant Hutchison

Right now I am wondering if I bought a dud, there does not seem to be any power going to the tv.
    Or it could be the power cord, it come with one and I using one from an old printer. I don't think there is a difference.

I think the TV needs a new power unit, there is at least one online for $50, at least I did not have to go to Tashi station to get it.

Them and their converters.

I drove Graham's car a couple of times in the last few days, because the left rear blinker and brake light on mine have burned out and we haven't replaced the bulbs yet. This morning, Graham came back in the door after heading off to work to ask me where his car was. The answer was "about four slots down from where you'd parked it." It literally would've taken less time for him to actually look at the parking lot.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Oops wrong place, moved to another thread.
    Last edited by The Backroad Astronomer; 2019-Aug-31 at 04:42 PM.

I made a blanket for a friend's new goddaughter. She sent me the money for materials through Venmo, which turned out to be an enormous hassle for me--they won't connect to my credit union and won't let me try again. I had to send the money to a friend and have him give me cash--I also owed him some money, so that wasn't as annoying as it could have been, but it was annoying. So when I finished and sent it, and she went to pay me for my work and the shipping costs, I asked her to send it PayPal instead, as I can use PayPal. And she sent it Venmo again.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I made a blanket for a friend's new goddaughter. She sent me the money for materials through Venmo, which turned out to be an enormous hassle for me--they won't connect to my credit union and won't let me try again. I had to send the money to a friend and have him give me cash--I also owed him some money, so that wasn't as annoying as it could have been, but it was annoying. So when I finished and sent it, and she went to pay me for my work and the shipping costs, I asked her to send it PayPal instead, as I can use PayPal. And she sent it Venmo again.
    I've known people like that.

To top it off, unless I'm mistaken, PayPal owns Venmo. As such, you'd think there'd be an easy way transfer money between the two.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

My left wrist has been sore for the last couple of days. It feels just like a muscle ache, the only thing I think it is from is piling the wood.

My left wrist has been sore for the last couple of days. It feels just like a muscle ache, the only thing I think it is from is piling the wood.
    Ah, that takes me back. The good old days when there was always an external cause for bits of my body aching.

Grant Hutchison

I haven't had those days since high school--I have adolescent-onset scoliosis. But my friends my own age are starting to reach the "I hurt because I fell asleep at very slightly the wrong angle" age.

"You can't erase icing."

This morning, I was talking to a woman I know slightly whose daughter is starting kindergarten and riding Simon's bus. As I was telling her that Simon had had the same teacher last year that her daughter does this year, and filling her in on what he'd done all school year, she lit up a cigarette. I ducked inside on the grounds of "checking on Irene," but mostly to get away from the smoke.

Then I got a phone call from an 800 number before eight in the morning. Since none of my friends have 800 numbers, somehow, I'm pretty sure that was an illegal call. Worse, it was probably about the legal problems someone with Graham's last name has that we keep getting calls about. We don't know the guy. We keep ending up on call lists about him anyway.

"You can't erase icing."

New plans for When I Rule The World.

1. It will no longer be acceptable to list an item as "shipped" just because you've created a shipping label for it, especially if you've done it a week before you're actually planning to send the item, apparently.

2. It will be illegal to sell basic consumer electronics that require a remote to perform their most basic functions.

"You can't erase icing."

1. It will no longer be acceptable to list an item as "shipped" just because you've created a shipping label for it, especially if you've done it a week before you're actually planning to send the item, apparently.

2. It will be illegal to sell basic consumer electronics that require a remote to perform their most basic functions.

I, for one, welcome our new Gillianren overlord.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

I don't because I will be on top of her must be eliminated list for bad grammar and spelling.

When I'm King of the World, I'll be quite happy to have you rule it! As long as you make sure there is only one, truly universal remote, that doesn't require a code, of which there are 16 for every dang brand, to make it work.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post

OverLady!

Businesses that can't retain staff. Probably because of poor pay and poor other stuff. Locally, I've noticed that I pretty much never see the same folks two visits in a row at: Papa Murphy's, on twelve-dollar Tuesday. The Verizon store, when I go in to pay my bill. Starbucks at Safeway. And since we got an espresso machine and I'm not in there to train them every day, their competence has seriously declined. Worst of all, the pharmacy in the same Safeway. I don't know why we keep going there, but they'd probably have to fold without all my wife's Rx's.

I don't because I will be on top of her must be eliminated list for bad grammar and spelling.
    Now, now. I have a simple plan for reeducation centers, where people are taught the rules of grammar in simple and memorable ways and where spelling is taught via etymology. I believe that, if you know why a word is spelled the way it is, you're much less likely to spell it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Businesses that can't retain staff. Probably because of poor pay and poor other stuff. Locally, I've noticed that I pretty much never see the same folks two visits in a row at: Papa Murphy's, on twelve-dollar Tuesday. The Verizon store, when I go in to pay my bill. Starbucks at Safeway. And since we got an espresso machine and I'm not in there to train them every day, their competence has seriously declined. Worst of all, the pharmacy in the same Safeway. I don't know why we keep going there, but they'd probably have to fold without all my wife's Rx's.
    Our Safeway is good at maintaining pharmacy staff--which does, alas, mean that there are several people working there who don't have to ask my information before getting my prescriptions, because they already know it. There are plenty of other local businesses with that problem, though.

"You can't erase icing."

When I rule all of space and time I will Treduchet the Solar system and Gillenren the Earth.

Cheap earphones, they keep dying on me that is why I haven't bought any in a long time and looks like quality hasn't improved in the year or so I ave stopped buying them.

Also I think I have missed a call from someone to help move a dresser. There was a washing machine and dryer in the way when we delivered it and it is not a house I went to drop in without warning, she has a 180 lb over protective St. Bernard with a bad attitude towards strangers.

I just saw a TV ad for a product called "grandpad". It's for us elderly folks who don't know how to use a computer. Everyone in the commercial looked younger than me. I spent 3/4 of my working life using computers for a living, and had FORTRAN programming as a mandatory course in college in the late 1960's.
    I hope that product fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I just saw a TV ad for a product called "grandpad". It's for us elderly folks who don't know how to use a computer. Everyone in the commercial looked younger than me. I spent 3/4 of my working life using computers for a living, and had FORTRAN programming as a mandatory course in college in the late 1960's.
    I hope that product fails.
    Ha!

Here in N.Z. the rights to screen the Rugby World Cup were bought by a telephone/internet company.

They've been running advertising advising people (the "elderly" one of the specific targets) how to stream the matches.

Apparently the response from seniors has been pretty much "yeah, we know how to use our computers, you condescending dopes; how about you just sort out your bandwidth issues first?".
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Speaking of aging, how many of us here remember The Time Lady? I do!

This time of year because of a certain project the ends of fingers feel a bit odd. Also this time of year because most of the previous months projects I start thinking about cleaning.

People who put their food in the microwave for a specific length of time, stop nuking their food with a few seconds remaining, and then take their food without clearing the microwave's timer.