Page 424 of 432 FirstFirst ... 324374414422423424425426 ... LastLast
Results 12,691 to 12,720 of 12957

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    You just beat me to this sad, to most car lovers here anyway, news. I learnt to drive in a Holden and one of them was the first car I owned. The two cars we drive daily are both Holdens but their purchase certainly did not help out in the current problem as one is 2005 model and the other a 2007 model. I also have two 1961 Holdens in the back shed waiting, for many years unfortunately, to be combined into one driveable vehicle.

The big problems for Holden started during the GFC in 2009 when the Head Office of GM managed to run the company in the ground which had a effect on their subsidiaries around the world. Vauxhall and Opel were sold but Holden which was profitable was retained. Then in 2017 manufacturing in Australia was stopped and the range became fully imported. Unfortunately for Holden they never found an imported vehicle to sell in large numbers and a lot of the product was sourced through the Opel factories which are now owned by competitors. They also cut their own throats by importing a number of vehicles from the old Daewoo factories in South Korea and these earned a reputation for being second rate. It now seems that except for a few specialty cars GM is pulling completely out of the right hand drive market. So a company name that started in 1856 is no more.

Two Holdens were in fact sold in the North American market. One was the Pontiac G8 in 2008 - 2009, it has the same body shape as my 2007 car. The other was sold to Police Forces in the USA as the Chevrolet Caprice in 2011 - 2017..

I get that the IT department for a big company needs to deactivate some options in Windows so the employees can't screw things up... but what in the world makes them think that adjusting your mouse speed is one of those dangerous vulnerable functions‽ And if they're going to lock mouse speed at any particular level, why pick such a fast level‽

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    All well said.

But don't forget the ones sold as Vauxhal (sp?) in the UK.

Enjoyed the Top Gear episode where they tested the 2-door Monaro against some more "sophisticated" cars, and it came out on top.

(Just didn't sell enough, sadly.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    I get that the IT department for a big company needs to deactivate some options in Windows so the employees can't screw things up... but what in the world makes them think that adjusting your mouse speed is one of those dangerous vulnerable functions‽ And if they're going to lock mouse speed at any particular level, why pick such a fast level‽
    Ugh. I'm a developer, and forever running into bank-wide policies that protect the bulk of the staff but get in the way of us doing our jobs.

Recently they disabled the plain old command interpreter for everyone.

Plenty of alternatives, like powershell, so mostly just annoying.

Ugh. I'm a developer, and forever running into bank-wide policies that protect the bulk of the staff but get in the way of us doing our jobs.

Recently they disabled the plain old command interpreter for everyone.

Plenty of alternatives, like powershell, so mostly just annoying.
    We had that some years ago and then we raised holy hell and pointed out some of the things we needed it for and that resolved it. It seems these were moderns that had never used the command interpreter and had no idea anyone actually used that “primitive” stuff any more. I think that happened when Windows 7 was beginning to be rolled out.

I’m not sure powershell would be an alternative for what we needed (we had some legacy DOS apps, for example, and some set up functions done in batch files) but I don’t think I was aware of powershell at the time, and have only played with it a bit since then.

Edit to add: Don’t you need admin rights to enable Powershell? I seem to remember it was a bit of a pain to get started on my home PC even with standard admin rights on my default login.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2020-Feb-17 at 07:43 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    ... Edit to add: Don’t you need admin rights to enable Powershell? I seem to remember it was a bit of a pain to get started on my home PC even with standard admin rights on my default login.
    Don't recall; I do run powershell under my regular account. Does everything I need so far; but annoying to learn a new syntax for simple stuff like running existing cmd files.

Which of course brings up that my regular account isn't a local admin. For that we have to ask for a special "C account" (naming convention: same user ID, with "c" suffixed), which does have local admin rights; which we sometimes have to use to install DEV software.

... but of course the "C account" doesn't have internet access, our regular account does, and a lot of installs are internetty now. Sigh.

So the "C account" doesn't get used often, and it's set to lock itself out after a short period of dis-use.

Now, our "people leaders" (don't ask) can unlock locked accounts - except not "C accounts".

So once every few months when we need the "C account" to do something, we have to ring the IT help desk to get unlocked. Sigh.

Which of course brings up that my regular account isn't a local admin. For that we have to ask for a special "C account" (naming convention: same user ID, with "c" suffixed), which does have local admin rights; which we sometimes have to use to install DEV software.

... but of course the "C account" doesn't have internet access, our regular account does, and a lot of installs are internetty now. Sigh.

So the "C account" doesn't get used often, and it's set to lock itself out after a short period of dis-use.
    Yeah, we had something similar. It was possible to get local admin rights for developer machines with lan access if you went through hoops and could demonstrate need, but there were still limits placed on it. Support staff had “A” accounts that could do more (network configuration and so forth). Security was steadily increasing. I had headaches on a system because they were adding increasing limitations on developer access on production data even for read purposes, and weren’t interested in special cases like a system with a SQL database I had maintained for 15 years. It made my job significantly more difficult, basically making me waste time doing pretty much the same things I had before, but with additional layers of indirection that slowed it down considerably. I understand the push for increasing security, but one size fits all solutions are a pain.

Not my problem now though - I recently retired (doesn’t have anything to do with this, though - it was just the right time for me).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

All well said.

But don't forget the ones sold as Vauxhal (sp?) in the UK.

Enjoyed the Top Gear episode where they tested the 2-door Monaro against some more "sophisticated" cars, and it came out on top.

(Just didn't sell enough, sadly.)
    I also forgot the Holden rebadged as the Chevrolet SS with a 6.2L V8 sold in the U.S.A around 2013 - 2017.

I'm bothered by the hair trigger on my computer's DVD drive. If you press it once to load (or unload) a disc, but have any bounce or stutter in your motion, it will execute the command twice, i.e., open and then close (or close and then open) thye drawer, thus leaving you back where you started. This also happens if you press it second time after a short wait, because you think the first press didn't work.

You'd think that its programming could be smart enough to figure that nobody would want to perform an action twice to accomplish exactly nothing.

(Now, if it had separate "Open" and "Close" buttons, it wouldn't be an issue, but they'll never use two switches when one will do (badly).)

Switch denouncing techniques have been around forever (both hardware and software approaches).

It would appear that whoever designed the first CD player missed that lecture. Every drive I’ve ever owned had this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Lots of applications have that problem.

Upon starting up, you click to start your browser. Nothing happens. Well, too soon I guess.

Click again. Still nothing. A misfire?

Click yet again, yet again nothing. Hey, it should be working by now!

You check some connections and utilities and try again ...

Right about now you get the darn thing running in four windows, and have to close three of 'em, one by one. Yeah, right, Mr. Windows, I often use four of this at once!

Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    ...Yeah, right, Mr. Windows, I often use four of this at once!
    Based upon its records, yes you do frequently open four copies of this application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Awoke to a very cold apartment this morning. Simon had left his window open all night--and his bedroom door, to spread the cold around. There was frost on the ground when I took him out to the bus this morning!

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Awoke to a very cold apartment this morning. Simon had left his window open all night--and his bedroom door, to spread the cold around. There was frost on the ground when I took him out to the bus this morning!
    I love my kids now that they are adults.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I love my kids as kids, but sometimes . . . .

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

I would rather roll in broken glass than play one second of Animal Crossing.

Why cave people are extinct.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flintstones winston cigarettes.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	453.2 KB 
ID:	24903  

I just realized I STILL don't like the brown color scheme on this forum!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I just realized I STILL don't like the brown color scheme on this forum!
    Isn't there some way to change that? I was going to try but was afraid I would make the forum illegible.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I actually used to play it enough so I considered buying a game console of my own, instead of just playing it at friends' houses!

I keep getting e-mails from companies I shop from online saying, "Have [money] on us!" Only, for example, today's was $50 . . . off my purchase of $100, which expires on the twenty-third, six days before my money rolls over and I can afford to go shopping.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Is someone forcing you to?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Is someone forcing you to?
    Uh, no. But it could happen!

I keep seeing "COVID-19" in news articles and posts and reading it as "Corvid". Which is a crow.

I keep seeing "COVID-19" in news articles and posts and reading it as "Corvid". Which is a crow.
    I've been doing this, too, even in posts here. I realize now why I was unconsciously doing it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corvid.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	500.3 KB 
ID:	24912  

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I actually used to play it enough so I considered buying a game console of my own, instead of just playing it at friends' houses!

I keep getting e-mails from companies I shop from online saying, "Have [money] on us!" Only, for example, today's was $50 . . . off my purchase of $100, which expires on the twenty-third, six days before my money rolls over and I can afford to go shopping.
    The animal crossings I know about animals crossing roads and paths. A squirrel just crossed a path I was in in the woods. Sorry no pictures cell phone out of charge.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

So somebody was counting crows.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

The Wife has a Bose Sound Touch for wirelessly blasting her iTunes while I’m out having a cigar or working in the shop. Great sound but it’s a pain when we have a power interruption. It completely de-pairs and getting it reconnected is a bit of pain...even more so today since the speaker had to download an update first, adding 20 minutes to the ordeal.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

In the disease and pandemics thread, folks (including my oft-quoted Matador Security) keep posting information from "John Hopkins University."

It's Johns Hopkins.

(If I understand their website correctly, they offer a degree in frisbee.)
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    In the disease and pandemics thread, folks (including my oft-quoted Matador Security) keep posting information from "John Hopkins University."

It's Johns Hopkins.
    Origin of the trick question, "How many people is Johns Hopkins University named after?" Seems like it should be two people, surnamed Johns and Hopkins. But it's not.

Grant Hutchison

A key feature when we designed our new house was the walk-in pantry. It has cabinets and a counter down one side and across the end and absorbs most of the usual counter-clutter from the kitchen, keeping that area neat. You know, toaster, coffee maker, espresso machine, canisters, food processors, bag of cat food, all that kind of stuff. It even has a small sink to provide water for coffee and a beverage fridge under the counter at the end. I really like it.

What made it a little awkward was the cat bowls in front of the counter I had to step around while putting cream cheese on my bagel.

A couple of days ago it occurred to me to move the cat bowls to the other side, on the blank wall. So much better!

Why did it take me 15 months to think of that?