Thread: Trivial or non-trivial technology that is just horrible

Trivial or non-trivial technology that is just horrible

We have the amazing technology thread for all to participate in. So let's have a thread for technology that is lamentable.

I would offer the aforementioned coffee pot that brews an amazing cup of joe, but has a spout that causes you to dribble that dark magic all over the counter, no matter how careful you are.

Another frustrating pieces of technology are security screws on consumer products. Pointless because a drill bit is a screwdriver if you are brave enough.

What do you have?
    Solfe

Another frustrating pieces of technology are security screws on consumer products.
    Thankfully there are IFixIt kits. Right to repair yo. Don't participate in that "no user servicable parts" nonsense, show them who's the boss.

To give you an idea about how sick the corporate world is: the big companies tried to forbit IFixIt from making those bits.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    The current bugbear for me is plastic cup like things that go into plasterboard, gyproc, to hold sockets and switches. They are flimsy, so often break near the end game of fastening the socket, but worse, the sliding plastic wedges that are supposed to hold the thing in place, are not up to it. So the socket pulls out of the hole, messes up the neat hole making a difficult repair and again, lets you down just after the job is done. Thicker walls or metal equivalents would work but not available.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Installing sockets is one of the tasks I hate anyway. As you say, if it isn't perfect first time, good luck ever getting that socket flush and firm.

Cheap thermometers that don't read correctly. I had one that told me my temp was 86.9 on a daily basis. It makes me wonder if there programing error where it reads that instead of 98.6.
    Solfe

Clamshell packaging.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Clamshell packaging.
    Once upon a time I felt guilty for being the engineer on a shrink-wrap machine. But clamshell packaging made me feel better.
    Actual clamshells are, of course, easier to open.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

In the last several months our cellular service has been abysmal inside our house, and for two different phones. Which had been working perfectly well for several years. Now if a call comes in it’s a litany of “can you hear me now?”

Its great when the tech works, but when it fails….oh brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Cheap thermometers that don't read correctly. I had one that told me my temp was 86.9 on a daily basis. It makes me wonder if there programing error where it reads that instead of 98.6.
    That would be a difficult error to make. My guess would be a poor sensor: low sensitivity, bad linearity...

Or, in case of a body thermometer: those tend to detect when the temperature rise stabilises, and show you that result. If the detection is off (again, possibly because of a poor sensor) it will show you the "end" result too soon, so too low.