Page 486 of 495 FirstFirst ... 386436476484485486487488 ... LastLast
Results 14,551 to 14,580 of 14834

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    The other part of the phrase, “It’ll stunt your growth” was common among folks my parents’ age and employed when they didn’t want youngins consuming something. I’ve heard it applied to tobacco, alcohol, and... coffee.
    That part, I'd heard of. There's a vague memory of a story I read once, with a baby-sized adult whose backstory involved stunting by mass amounts of tobacco, alcohol, and coffee preserving his youthful looks!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    True, but no matter whose fault it is, it's a successful enough strategy that it still goes on. In evolutionary terms, it's not selected against.
    In evolutionary terms, it's setting the bar really low.

That said, I received 2 more spams on my work email today, different ones without deliberately misspelled words. So something was up with the corporate spam filter. Or Microsoft's spam filter. Which I think is one in the same, since my work uses Office 365 for email. Which was handy today since my internet went out for about 2 hrs this afternoon and needed to keep up with email without being on the VPN. I could log in, but i had to use their mandatory 2-factor authentication thingy like with the VPN (another one of those trivial things that bug me as mentioned before). Email is intrinsically insecure, no point in putting 2FA on it.

Having my internet go out and not being able to reach anyone at the ISP was a trivial, or non trivial annoyance too. Both the phone and online chat said "no agents are available right now. Try again during business hours." Duh, it was business hours. At least put me in a queue. Eventually I reached someone in the security department (only option where someone answered) and they confirmed an outage. Eventually the website showed it, though not for my area specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
    In evolutionary terms, it's setting the bar really low.
    Low investment, low risk, any positive results at all are enough to recoup. It's like penny slots for spammers.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    As a test case of one, I started drinking coffee at age 7 (more cream and sugar than coffee) and I'm 5'6".
    At not too much older, an uncle attempted to introduce me to coffee, also with much cream and sugar. I about threw up.
    It wasn't until around ten years later that I tried it black. Oh! It was the cream and sugar that made it awful!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    You may want to stay home for a couple of days. Or maybe the rest of the year.

(Seriously, hope you feel better and your luck changes too.)
    I'm pretty graceful when I concentrate, I just don't concentrate that often. Bull in a china shop is so underrated for being so effective.

Oddly, I don't think of being rough with other people, that's a great way to get your head kicked in. That makes for a very short and unsatisfying life. I like to stand well away from people just in case one of my bull in the china shop moments go horribly wrong. I'm loving this pandemic safety zone thing. It allows me to stand back from people without looking too crazy.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I cut my hand at a local hardware store. I was grabbing a roll of chicken wire off a shelf and got cut by a nail. They were packed into the shelf too tightly and my hand got pinned between the roll and the nail or screw in the next shelf. Thankfully, they had sanitizing wipes all over the place so clean up was easy.

Back at the car, I dropped something and bent over to pick it up. I thought I had my hand on the bumper and not the edge of the trunk so when my son slammed the trunk, the same hand got mashed. I did a faceplant and messed up my ribs. I don't think I broken any of them, but they hurt really bad. I broke them a few years back and that pain doesn't really go away.
    Sounds like we're related! Me and mine do stuff like that all the time... though rarely all at once. Welcome to the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    When my mother wanted me to do something for her, she'd say "Torsten, since you're already standing, could you..." I was generally not standing.
    A college roommate was once sitting with her sister, watching TV. Her sister said, "Becca, get up, get up!" My roommate (I think this was while she was actually my roommate) shot up off the couch. Her sister said, "So while you're up . . . ." My roommate said she couldn't even be mad.

Graham bought me a string of LED lights to go around the room, right where the wall meets the ceiling, for my birthday. Back in December, which is not long ago. The strand is already dying. It turns out to be six sections connected together; three of them are already completely nonfunctional; the other three are failing.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

LED lights are supposed to be reliable and last forever! But half the new strings I put on the Christmas trees suffered partial failures. I think it's the little electronics modules you spaced periodically along the string.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Sounds like we're related! Me and mine do stuff like that all the time... though rarely all at once. Welcome to the family.
    It's nice being in with good people.
    Solfe

It's nice being in with good people.

I'm loving this pandemic safety zone thing. It allows me to stand back from people without looking too crazy.
    Move to Scotland. In normal life, people here suspect you might be a crazed loon if you stand closer than two metres.

Grant Hutchison

OK. I was just curious who has used this turn of phrase, as my search turned up no references to it.
    Yeah, I'd never encountered it either. (Or, indeed, the deranged "coffee stunts your growth" narrative. Kai's right that it has no scientific basis.)

Searching around, the sapping thing seems to generally appear as "[something]-sapping shock"--confidence-sapping, morale-sapping, etc. Which makes sense, I think, since the verb "to sap" generally needs an object. Here in the UK, at least, you couldn't say, "Wow, that shock really sapped," without receiving quizzical looks.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Yeah, I'd never encountered it either. (Or, indeed, the deranged "coffee stunts your growth" narrative. Kai's right that it has no scientific basis.)

Searching around, the sapping thing seems to generally appear as "[something]-sapping shock"--confidence-sapping, morale-sapping, etc. Which makes sense, I think, since the verb "to sap" generally needs an object. Here in the UK, at least, you couldn't say, "Wow, that shock really sapped," without receiving quizzical looks.
    If you're a "sapper", a military description, it doesn't really need a modifier. Soldiers learn to recognize someone who blows up walls and tunnels.

If you're a "sapper", a military description, it doesn't really need a modifier. Soldiers learn to recognize someone who blows up walls and tunnels.
    Sure. But if you're not actually undermine fortifications or digging trenches, then you do need an object for your verb, to clarify its metaphorical purpose. Or so it goes in the UK. Maybe the usage has shifted in the USA.

Grant Hutchison

I had never heard of sapping and shock used together in any context. Regional usage? Generational? Buzzword? I'm betting buzzword.

At least I hope this one's trivial:

I forgot my mother's phone number. It is the only phone number I've ever memorized. I don't know my mobile number, I don't know our landline, I don't know my wife's mobile, but I've always known my mother's number. And two days ago, out of the blue, I realized I'd forgotten it. And it really felt like the number was still in my memory, but the wire to get access to that memory was gone. It wasn't like I was unsure of digits, I just couldn't get the series started at all. I could even still hear the phone melody of the last 4 digits in my head, but the number remained inaccessible in my head. Useless brain of course could remember mom's previous phone number which ceased to exist 30 years ago. I hoped that I'd recall the number if I went to the phone to dial it, but nope. Utterly gone for days. I looked up the number, instantly recognized it and now the connection in my brain is back. I didn't have to relearn the number, just reconnect to the memory.
    Last edited by Nicolas; 2021-May-01 at 11:10 PM.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

The way memory recall works/doesn't work bugs me. Always has. I can clearly recall irrelevant details of long-past events sometimes, while sometimes going blank on things I am intimately familiar with and use on a daily basis.

"remember that embarrassing thing you did 35 years ago? Here it is!" Thanks, brain.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    "remember that embarrassing thing you did 35 years ago? Here it is!" Thanks, brain.
    Popping up with every association like a bad Rickroll? Wow, thanks again!

The current wave of thread necromancy.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    You say that like necromancy's a bad thing.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Eh, it'll fade out. Until it rises again... from the grave! (cue scary musical sting)

The way memory recall works/doesn't work bugs me. Always has. ...
    Today is my (step-)sister's birthday. I was going to send her a text and went to look up her number in my Contacts list. It wasn't there. There was her older brother and her younger brother but not her.

I knew we'd exchanged texts recently. So I went to my Messages and searched for her first name. And there she was, with her full, married name.

I had been looking under her maiden (and brothers') name.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

I had never heard of sapping and shock used together in any context. Regional usage? Generational? Buzzword? I'm betting buzzword.
    It is certainly also commonly used in Australia and New Zealand. However here it would normally spelled with a 'Z' not an ' S'.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-May-02 at 03:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    It is certainly also commonly used in Australia and New Zealand. However here it would normally spelled with a 'Z' not an ' S'.
    I see what you did there.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Sapping could be a useful gerund; I feel a sapping coming on. And I feel I have experienced a sapping shock a few times without having that gerund around to express it. Those passing, sapping, feelings.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I see what you did there.
    Unfortunately I did not do it deliberately. It was only after I read your reply and puzzled over it for a few seconds that I realised I had inadvertently channelled Liza Minelli.

I am confused.

I mean, even more than the usual amount.
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I am confused.

I mean, even more than the usual amount.
    Zapping shock

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Sapping could be a useful gerund; I feel a sapping coming on. And I feel I have experienced a sapping shock a few times without having that gerund around to express it. Those passing, sapping, feelings.
    I dunno. It still seems to need an object. Confidence-sapping, energy-sapping, soul-sapping, attention-sapping, trust-sapping, hope-sapping ... I've experienced all of these, but never anything so non-specific as plain "sapping".

Grant Hutchison