Page 487 of 495 FirstFirst ... 387437477485486487488489 ... LastLast
Results 14,581 to 14,610 of 14831

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Sapping could be a useful gerund; I feel a sapping coming on. And I feel I have experienced a sapping shock a few times without having that gerund around to express it. Those passing, sapping, feelings.
    But what feeling was being sapped?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    but never anything so non-specific as plain "sapping".
    I found this page.

https://www.smithfarmstand.com/the-sapping-process
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    And then there's the practice of sapping someone (hitting them with a club), and in English public school slang one was said to be sapping when studying--hence the pejorative use of the noun sap for a schoolchild considered to be a bit soft and intellectual.

Grant Hutchison

Here in the US, a sap is a sucker, someone easily taken advantage of or gullible. "What a sap!"

ADDED: https://www.oxfordify.com/meaning/sap

Origin
    early 19th century: abbreviation of dialect sapskull ‘person with a head like sapwood’, from sap (in the sense ‘sapwood’) + skull

5. 2021-May-02, 03:14 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Zapping shock
    Oh, that's where the Z goes. Yeah, makes more sense.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Oh, that's where the Z goes. Yeah, makes more sense.
    Sapping Zhock was the name of a garage band.

Here in the US, a sap is a sucker, someone easily taken advantage of or gullible. "What a sap!"

ADDED: https://www.oxfordify.com/meaning/sap
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPT49WXC0Zo

I dunno. It still seems to need an object. Confidence-sapping, energy-sapping, soul-sapping, attention-sapping, trust-sapping, hope-sapping ... I've experienced all of these, but never anything so non-specific as plain "sapping".

Grant Hutchison
    I guess sapping is when you literally can't even.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

The few occasions I use it, it would be in the form "I feel so sapped of energy", adding the object.

I only recently learned, in the DIY thread of all places, that a sap is also the name of a "short, easily concealed club weapon", which must derive from or lead to the expression of sapping a person.

Move to Scotland. In normal life, people here suspect you might be a crazed loon if you stand closer than two metres.

Grant Hutchison
    I've always wanted to go to Scotland. That just makes it more attractive.
    Solfe

I dunno. It still seems to need an object.
    In the more common usage, I agree but if one is a sapper, "sapping" could be used "to describe the digging of a covered trench (a 'sap') to approach a besieged place without danger from the enemy's fire."

Since "to sap" is also a verb meaning to hit or bludgeon with a club, I suppose one could use sapping to describe the act, especially when it involves an actual sap. e.g.; Tony sure gave that mook a good sapping.

ETA: Nothing to see here. I somehow missed a few posts that covered my points. Carry on.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2021-May-02 at 08:20 PM.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...n-tired-origin
    The verb sap meaning "to gradually diminish the supply or intensity of" or "to weaken or exhaust the energy or vitality of" derives ultimately from zappa, the Old Italian word for "hoe." Originally, to sap something (such as a building) was to undermine it by digging or eroding the substratum or foundation:
    So, "sapped of strength" et al comes from the undermining usage, not the tree sap.

I think the horse died several posts up.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I think the horse died several posts up.
    Well, it is really trivial.

Well, it is really trivial.
    Le cheval a été sape!
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    Le cheval a été sape!
    Ah yes. A little-known duty of the sapeurs-pompiers--undermining horses. They do it largely by bullying and belittling these days, rather than digging a tunnel under the horse.

Grant Hutchison

Not to change the subject but ... to change the subject.

We have AT&T U-Verse for our cable and internet. We got them after enduring Comcast and its predecessor for far too long. The service has been reasonably good with one HUGE exception. The DVR.

Oh, it works fine. We've used it to record many, many, many programs. And we've saved some old ones to enjoy again.

The DVR failed over the weekend. AT&T will replace it at no cost. But the recordings are lost.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Sorry Jim. That happened to us about a year ago! Now the new one is nearly full.
    When it failed, we lost the latest season of Doctor Who. It wasn't a big loss.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

My other forum has long running "Trivia Quiz" and "Identify the Place" game threads. If you provide an answer you are obliged to post the next challenge. That makes me reluctant to post answers, because I have a hard time coming up with good ones.
    A couple of days ago I posted answers in both. The ItP one hasn't been confirmed, but I'm pretty sure it's right. (Confirmation is needed by a sometime poster here, hi Captain!) The trivia one was immediately confirmed but I had one I'd thought of earlier, which lasted no time at all. So now I've just answered another, almost certainly correctly, and have nothing to post in either thread.

Oh, it works fine. We've used it to record many, many, many programs. And we've saved some old ones to enjoy again.
    The DVR failed over the weekend. AT&T will replace it at no cost. But the recordings are lost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Sorry Jim. That happened to us about a year ago! Now the new one is nearly full.
    When it failed, we lost the latest season of Doctor Who. It wasn't a big loss.
    I just couldn't live like that. The mere existence of a hard drive full of un-backed-up and un-watched TV would simply be oppressive; likewise, anything I want to watch again needs to be in some sort of less volatile storage solution.

Grant Hutchison

After several losses of both trivial and nontrivial electronically stored materials, I've learned not to get too attached to any one source or medium of storage. I still have an active DVD collection, for instance.

Not to change the subject but ... to change the subject.

We have AT&T U-Verse for our cable and internet. We got them after enduring Comcast and its predecessor for far too long. The service has been reasonably good with one HUGE exception. The DVR.

I’ve wondered why they still store programs in people’s boxes. Given available bandwidth, I’d think they could just log what you “recorded” and stream it like video on demand.

The boxes would be cheaper, and they could change the same price for the service. The downside would be extra bookkeeping and storage of one copy at the server.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

My other forum has long running "Trivia Quiz" and "Identify the Place" game threads. If you provide an answer you are obliged to post the next challenge. That makes me reluctant to post answers, because I have a hard time coming up with good ones.
    A couple of days ago I posted answers in both. The ItP one hasn't been confirmed, but I'm pretty sure it's right. (Confirmation is needed by a sometime poster here, hi Captain!) The trivia one was immediately confirmed but I had one I'd thought of earlier, which lasted no time at all. So now I've just answered another, almost certainly correctly, and have nothing to post in either thread.
    And now I'm bugged that the ItP one HAD been answered early this morning!

People respond to incentives

Maybe you could use one of these I don't think anyone on the other forum would know or expect where these are from.
    https://twitter.com/DavidLPFairweat/status/1317056414637035521?s=20
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Reading a Pale Blue Dot by sagan, and thinking it would neat to redo the famous from the book with a group of science communicators. Plus probably do an essay about it with some update info on some areas and I can't find my notes on a paper about Titan been to distracted in coming up with a computer which I cannot afford.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I kind of cheated. I used the same sternwheeler picture for both puzzles!

Well, if you ever need a trivia question to post, just let me know?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

I shall take you up on that!
    The sternwheeler picture in Identify the Place went very rapidly; that contest allowing pretty much any sort of search other than "search Google for image". But the trivia one, asking what's interesting about its propulsion, is ongoing! Yay, me! I posted a question that lasted more than five minutes!

Congratulations!

Yesterday, when there was a thing at Zane's school, we went because I was hoping he'd see some of his classmates and actually make connections with them. It's hard to do that over Zoom, especially because his teacher won't let them be silly in the chat at break. They have to communicate in real conversations and full sentences. Zane is seven. And unfortunately, none of his classmates were there, from what I can tell. The only kids who seemed to be his age were a group of girls who wouldn't play with him, and he ended up playing with a kid I'm pretty sure was a kindergartner because at least that was someone.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"