Page 508 of 517 FirstFirst ... 8408458498506507508509510 ... LastLast
Results 15,211 to 15,240 of 15495

Thread: Really trivial stuff that bugs you

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My late mother was somewhat obsessed with the changing of the seasons. And in particular, the length of the days. December 23rd was sure to bring a cheery "The days are getting longer!" comment. It rubbed off, much as I try to resist it.
    I'm that way, perhaps more extreme. Around the 12th of December I'm likely to say "Sunset is coming later now!", and around the 29th it's "Sunrise is getting earlier again!". (YMMV, it's latitude dependent.)

I have a summer uniform and a winter uniform. Winter is jeans, t-shirt, wool socks, sandals, jacket if required. Summer is shorts, T-shirt, sandals. I try to switch to summer as early as possible and maintain it as long as possible.
    I have a "thing" about still running the furnace in May. There's just something wrong about it, even if there are still frosts overnight early in the month and the house feels cool in the morning. So I turn the thermostat way down and put up with a morning chill. And before autumn arrives, I resist the temptation to turn it on in the morning in mid September when it often gets near freezing overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsten View Post
    I'm that way, perhaps more extreme. Around the 12th of December I'm likely to say "Sunset is coming later now!", and around the 29th it's "Sunrise is getting earlier again!". (YMMV, it's latitude dependent.)
    Your latitude is considerably more than mine, so very understandable!

I have a "thing" about still running the furnace in May. There's just something wrong about it, even if there are still frosts overnight early in the month and the house feels cool in the morning. So I turn the thermostat way down and put up with a morning chill. And before autumn arrives, I resist the temptation to turn it on in the morning in mid September when it often gets near freezing overnight.[/QUOTE]
    Now that we have the new house with a heat pump, we just leave the thermostat on 70F allt the time, regardless of season. Unfortunately my wife doesn't understand the concept of "dead band", which means that if it's warmer outside the indoor temp may creep up a bit.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Yogi Berra (allegedly) complained about the difficulty of playing left field at Yankee Stadium, due to the late afternoon shadows. "It gets late early out there."

A two-fer:

Trivial: I'm about to take my wife to the beauty shop and am wearing jeans, a t-shirt, a sweat shirt, and wool socks under my sandals. It's the thirtieth of September and I had hoped to postpone winter uniform until tomorrow, but give today's weather it would just have been silly.

Less Trivial: I was just reading the local weekly, which included a health and wellness supplement. It was entirely woo and quackery, which flourish in this community.

This is bugging me a lot, but in the grand scheme of things it is trivial:

Today is one of my days off, so I set the alarm for 10:30 and fell into bed around 1 AM after a hot bath (with lemon-scented bubbles). I was woken up at 9 AM by banging on my door and people from the Maintenance Department for my complex saying they needed to examine my pipes because people in lower apartments were having problems. I asked if they could come back in the afternoon when I planned to be out visiting the zoo and was told no, it was an emergency because the people on lower floors were having their apartments flooded by the malfunctioning pipes.

Groggily, I sat on my futon (still in my pajamas) and tried to read a magazine while they worked inside the “hallway” that goes behind my apartment’s kitchen, laying down plastic tarp and cutting through the drywall to get to the pipes. It is very uncomfortable to have strangers in your apartment while you are still in your pajamas. I called the front desk, who confirmed that they were legitimate, and waited, hoping they would get done before 10:30 so I could get a little more sleep. Around 11, I asked them if it was okay to use the water in the kitchen and was told yes, so I made tea and my usual day-off omelet in the kitchen.

(Because I was tired and frazzled, I put too much matcha powder in the tea and dropped the block of cheese on the floor, but it was still drinkable— if strong— and I had other cheese.)

Now it’s noon and I’m still sitting here waiting for them to leave so I can get through the hallway to shower in the bathroom and head out to go to the zoo.

I don’t want to seem selfish because as annoying as all of this is, having your apartment flooded by malfunctioning pipes is even worse and I want them to fix the problem and help those people. But I do feel very frazzled by having my morning routine disrupted like this, especially on the day I like to sleep in. (If it was a workday I’d have been out of my apartment by 7:40 and it wouldn’t have been a problem in the first place.)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

We are halfway through a 2 week school holidays here. On Friday we were on childminding duties for our Grandkids. We had planned a big outing including a visit to the local aquarium. When we arrived to pick them up only one kid was there. It turned out that our 5 yr old Grandson was at the ED with my Daughter. He had fallen off a Flying Fox (zipline) and had a swollen and sore hand. It turned out that he has a 'buckle' fracture in his wrist. Luckily it is a minor break and he will only have it plastered for about 5 days. Then it will be bandaged. He was happy by the afternoon and had little to no pain.

Amusingly, we had attended the final term school assembly the week before as he was getting an Honour Certificate. At the end of it the Principal had wished the kids a good break and told them to be careful and not bring back too many limbs in plaster.

We are halfway through a 2 week school holidays here. On Friday we were on childminding duties for our Grandkids. We had planned a big outing including a visit to the local aquarium. When we arrived to pick them up only one kid was there. It turned out that our 5 yr old Grandson was at the ED with my Daughter. He had fallen off a Flying Fox (zipline) and had a swollen and sore hand. It turned out that he has a 'buckle' fracture in his wrist. Luckily it is a minor break and he will only have it plastered for about 5 days. Then it will be bandaged. He was happy by the afternoon and had little to no pain. I have put in in this thread as it is pretty much a fact of life than kids will do this sort of thing at some time or other and there is no serious or permanent injury to him.

Amusingly, we had attended the final term school assembly the week before as he was getting an Honour Certificate. At the end of it the Principal had wished the kids a good holiday and told them to be careful and not bring back too many limbs in plaster.
    Last edited by ozduck; 2021-Oct-03 at 01:01 PM.

(This is another item where it is a bit difficult to work out what thread it really should be in so I have put it in this one.)

We are currently watching todays Paris - Roubaix Race. A lot of it is over cobblestone tracks in northern France. It is always a tough race but is even worse today due to to heavy rain. There are sheets of water over many sections of the course and most of the riders are covered in mud. The conditions are so bad that riders are falling over when they are riding perfectly straight down the centre of the track as the bike just slips out from under them. Luckily they are going very slowly, for professionals, and so far there doesn't seem to have been any injuries caused by these falls. The race is being held much later in the year than normal due to Covid.

It's been about a year since I was diagnosed with T2 diabetes, so, with the help of the pandemic preventing me from going out, I've lost about 30 pounds and got my A1C down to 6.5. Great.
    Except today I was feeling sorry for myself and after doing my Covid self-test at the hospital I went and had fattening McLunch. (From the drive through, I'm not a complete idiot.) Wow, that's a lot of fries and I ate all of them.
    The reason for the test was that I've had a sore throat for a few days and was feeling a bit off today; plus that I donated blood on Monday and if I'm positive they should know. Most likely I'm not, I'm just a bit tired due to not sleeping well due to the sore throat, and the cat meowing at me every time it wakes me up.

Yesterday, Zane came wailing into the house complaining that he hurt, and he didn't know why. And it kept getting worse. It turned out there was a wasp trapped in his shirt, which did seem to get swatted and killed in the commotion. But he has probably a dozen stings on his finger, arm, and side. It's trivial, because he blessedly turns out not to be allergic, but I feel sorry for that kid sometimes. He's got some lousy luck when it comes to hurting himself.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Astronomy Cast: "Pluto's Demotion".
    I wish people would stop saying that Pluto was "demoted". It's not like it dropped a pay-grade, was moved to a smaller office, or lost parking privileges. It was just reclassified. It would be nice if we could all move on.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Astronomy Cast: "Pluto's Demotion".
    I wish people would stop saying that Pluto was "demoted". It's not like it dropped a pay-grade, was moved to a smaller office, or lost parking privileges. It was just reclassified. It would be nice if we could all move on.

Grant Hutchison
    I like to imagine it as Pluto discovering it was adopted and the Kuiper Belt Objects were its birth family and going to live with them.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Right now I am thinking about getting some new science books for the winter, there is book called Bad Astronomy anyone heard of it. Also trying figure out whether or not to pay for a full version of some software or mic with an upcoming paycheck that I will be getting hopefully sometime this week.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I've been checking all day to see if my Covid test came back. It hasn't. In the meantime, we cancelled a medical appointment for my wife tomorrow, because of not knowing. I seriously regret panicking yesterday, but isn't it better to be safe than sorry? Her appointment was routine, but it was in Sequim, so we were going to combine it with some shopping. Now we won't be doing that immediately.
    So today I was taking some inventory on critical supplies in case I was positive (which would be a negative) and couldn't go to the store. Ok, here we are:
    Dinner: Plenty of stuff in the freezer.
    Lunch: Stuff in the fridge, couple loaves of bread.
    Breakfast: Three bagels will last me six days plus there's English Muffins, toast, eggs, and Vegemite.
    Snacks: A bit low on the block of Tillamook, but there are four cans of Cougar Gold in the fridge.
    Cheesecake: My wife's breakfast. Just finishing one, had one in the freezer. I cut into 12 so good for 12 days.
    Distilled water: Got a gallon. That'll do the latte machine for a couple of weeks. And tap water won't instantly kill it.
    Bottled water: A bit low, but my wife and the kitties should manage for a week or so.
    Cat food: HOLY COW, only two cans! What are we going to do????

Okay, nevermind. Just got my results, negative for Covid. I feel really stupid for panicking yesterday. Kitties will eat. I think we'll go to Sequim tomorrow regardless and do our shopping for Christmas trees and stuff from Costco.
    BTW, did I mention that our old Xmas tree topper angel had seen better days so we got a new one? A WEEPING angel!
    If we get a new (fake) tree tomorrow the project for the week will be to set it up and decorate for Halloween.

16. 2021-Oct-05, 03:47 AM

I've been checking all day to see if my Covid test came back. It hasn't. In the meantime, we cancelled a medical appointment for my wife tomorrow, because of not knowing. I seriously regret panicking yesterday, but isn't it better to be safe than sorry? Her appointment was routine, but it was in Sequim, so we were going to combine it with some shopping. Now we won't be doing that immediately.
    So today I was taking some inventory on critical supplies in case I was positive (which would be a negative) and couldn't go to the store. Ok, here we are:
    Dinner: Plenty of stuff in the freezer.
    Lunch: Stuff in the fridge, couple loaves of bread.
    Breakfast: Three bagels will last me six days plus there's English Muffins, toast, eggs, and Vegemite.
    Snacks: A bit low on the block of Tillamook, but there are four cans of Cougar Gold in the fridge.
    Cheesecake: My wife's breakfast. Just finishing one, had one in the freezer. I cut into 12 so good for 12 days.
    Distilled water: Got a gallon. That'll do the latte machine for a couple of weeks. And tap water won't instantly kill it.
    Bottled water: A bit low, but my wife and the kitties should manage for a week or so.
    Cat food: HOLY COW, only two cans! What are we going to do????
    Good to hear of the negative test result.But you didn't list what is apparently the most important thing these days - how many hundreds of rolls of toilet paper you have stockpiled.

On a more serious note. I thought that the tap water in your area would be great due to it coming from 'snow melt' high in the mountains. Is the bottled water a personal taste or are there problems with the local supply?

Oh, I saw something about Couger Gold (fairly famous canned cheddar cheese from a university) and have been thinking of trying/ordering some. How much do you like it? And why are all the cans in the fridge? I thought it was shelf stable while unopened? Do you like any of their other flavors?

Which Tillamook do you prefer? I like sharp cheddar. Extra sharp is too much, medium is too mild for me.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Never mind on the refrigeration question. I found their FAQ. Well, that makes it less interesting for long term storage. Still might try it though.

https://creamery.wsu.edu/cougar-cheese/faqs/

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I took Zane to school yesterday. Our doctor had scribbled a couple of words on a sheet of prescription paper, and I had to check with the nurse's office that this was considered a valid note to get him in. So I discovered that the woman I'd talked to was her assistant, who is definitely not prepared to be a nurse's aide in an elementary school. I'd managed to work out that the "URI" on the note stood for "upper respiratory infection," because that made sense. The aide, the same person who'd considered 99 degrees a fever, had to be told.

Then the batteries on my cordless mouse died and we couldn't find any AA batteries. I wanted to check if it was the battery on my camera that was the problem, and despite having seen the spare within the last month, I can't find it now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    Good to hear of the negative test result.But you didn't list what is apparently the most important thing these days - how many hundreds of rolls of toilet paper you have stockpiled.

On a more serious note. I thought that the tap water in your area would be great due to it coming from 'snow melt' high in the mountains. Is the bottled water a personal taste or are there problems with the local supply?
    We're in an outlying community with it's own water supply from wells. It's very hard and my wife doesn't like it. Even though we have a softener.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Oh, I saw something about Couger Gold (fairly famous canned cheddar cheese from a university) and have been thinking of trying/ordering some. How much do you like it? And why are all the cans in the fridge? I thought it was shelf stable while unopened? Do you like any of their other flavors?

Which Tillamook do you prefer? I like sharp cheddar. Extra sharp is too much, medium is too mild for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Never mind on the refrigeration question. I found their FAQ. Well, that makes it less interesting for long term storage. Still might try it though.

https://creamery.wsu.edu/cougar-cheese/faqs/
    I get Tillamook extra sharp white cheddar.

The thing with Cougar Gold is that the longer you keep it in the fridge, the better it gets. And you can't always get it, so when we did, we got four.

About 98% done a project and I don't know if I will have room enough
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We're in an outlying community with it's own water supply from wells. It's very hard and my wife doesn't like it. Even though we have a softener.
    Thanks for the answer - perfectly understandable.

My father's parents lived on a small plot of land just north of Oklahoma City (well. when I was a boy ... it's now well within city limits). They had their own well, no softener. The water had a distinct taste and I actually kinda liked it. Maybe because it was "grandparents' water."

My grandmother had several fox terriers and they lived in the well house.

Thanks for sparking those memories.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

My wife is determined to do a Halloween tree. But our old fake Christmas tree has seen better days and she wants a new one. I want one pre-lit with LED lights. So we went to Sequim yesterday and found we were a couple of days early -- stores had empty spaces to display fake trees and such, even trees in boxes, but not yet displayed. I may have to get out the old one.

Iíd heard distilled water tasted ďflatĒ, and people in your situation normally used bottled water. I guess whoever said that was wrong.

BTW: when we were house hunting we visited one with well water that had high sulfur content. They had something that looked and smelled like a industrial chemistry operation in the basement.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Distilled water probably does taste flat, it lacks the minerals that give most water its taste. We use it in our espresso machine to avoid mineral buildup.

As we are moving swiftly towards hot weather it is time for me to put my sprinklers back in order to water the lawn and garden plants. I will have to cut and glue a couple of the PVC water pipes in my reticulation (irrigation) system. I went to my garage and found three bottles of the PVC Solvent used for this purpose. All three, despite being tightly sealed, have solidified into a useless goo. Over the years I have almost never been able to use the full contents of one of these bottles. I am almost beginning to believe that the manufacturers add a secret ingredient that turns the contents unusable a week or so after they are opened.

This is the glue that I am talking about.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/protek-5...pipes_p4750119

Tap water has been fine most places Iíve lived. But when I was a kid, we were in Albuquerque for around a year, and was that ever hard water. I got used to it, to the point I didnít notice the flavor anymore, by about the time we left.

I get Tillamook extra sharp white cheddar.

The thing with Cougar Gold is that the longer you keep it in the fridge, the better it gets. And you can't always get it, so when we did, we got four.
    I can eat small amounts of Tillamook extra sharp and it isnít a bad flavor but it isnít really something I can use with other food as it just overpowers everything for me. Iíll probably buy one can of Cougar Gold at some point. I hear it is also very sharp, but not what youíd typically expect for a flavor.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Now an item that does bug me, and a recommendation: Donít buy videos on Amazon Prime. Iím not talking about DVDs/physical media but their online videos. Iíve only done it once, for a movie I bought on my birthday, wanted to see immediately, and thought that rather than rent it that I would buy it so I could watch it again. Some time later when I went back to watch it, it was gone. It turns out that even when you buy a video there, they still eventually lose rights to even offer the video for access. So consider a ďpurchaseĒ to simply be an extended rental, and unless you expect to watch it several times, it is cheaper to rent each time or buy a DVD they canít take away from you.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    As we are moving swiftly towards hot weather it is time for me to put my sprinklers back in order to water the lawn and garden plants. I will have to cut and glue a couple of the PVC water pipes in my reticulation (irrigation) system. I went to my garage and found three bottles of the PVC Solvent used for this purpose. All three, despite being tightly sealed, have solidified into a useless goo. Over the years I have almost never been able to use the full contents of one of these bottles. I am almost beginning to believe that the manufacturers add a secret ingredient that turns the contents unusable a week or so after they are opened.

This is the glue that I am talking about.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/protek-5...pipes_p4750119
    You can get several grades, that one is rather mild. Various solvents are used and some are very aggressive for high pressure pipes. The solvents dictate how much welding takes place. Raw pvc is a rigid solid and made flexible by so called plasticisers which also react with those solvents. We discovered a flexible high pressure pipe totally resisted a glue but succumbed to the more aggressive type. The solvents can escape even through plastic tubes, although not metals, and soon leave an opened container. Of course pvc is on the way out as it is no nasty in fires. But it has been useful for a while!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G